DDR3 prices are on the way down

Memory makers can’t seem to catch a break. The short reprieve from rock-bottom memory prices they enjoyed throughout this year is coming to an end. According to DigiTimes, which was tipped off by "DRAM industry sources in Taiwan," prices for 1Gb and 2Gb DDR3 memory chips will plummet by 20-30% by the beginning of next year due to global oversupply.

DigiTimes cites existing spot prices of around $2.50 for 2Gb (256MB) DDR3 chips, a figure echoed by DRAMeXchange, and it says pricing will fall to $2 "around the end of 2010 or in early 2011." 1Gb (128MB) DDR3 chips should sink from $1.30-1.40 to $1 in the same time frame, as well. Since it takes eight 2Gb chips to put together a 2GB module, you can do the math—$2 a chip means $32 worth of memory chips per 4GB kit, down from roughly $40 right now.

A quick peek at Newegg shows 4GB DDR3 memory kits are going for as little as $52.99 today, so a plunge below the $50 mark might just happen by Christmas time. That would be good news for folks building new PCs for the holidays, not to mention those who could only afford a 2GB kit when buying a system earlier this year and are now longing for an upgrade. The long spell of oversupply and resulting dirt-cheap memory prices we saw at the end of the last decade wreaked havoc among memory makers, though, so they’re probably not itching for a repeat.

• Vaughn

Sweet so now I can go up to 12GB of ram in my rig!!

• ShadowTiger

I plan to build a new computer Mid to late 2011, cheaper DDR 3 sounds good to me!

It will be interesting to watch the transition from DDR3 to DDR4 which is still a few years out. The manufacturers will find a way to screw it up… just watch.

• HisDivineShadow

You know WHAT this means? Time for DDR4! C’mon, Memory Industry, you know you want to change specs for needlessly minor performance gains again! Don’t fail me now!

• iatacs19

Darn it!!! I just bought 24GB(6x4GB) of ECC RDIMMs… 🙁

• kamikaziechameleon

I want the 8 Gb kits to drop in price so my work station can get the upgrade it needs to 16 Gb.

Can we also see a drop in GPU prices please.

• dlenmn

If you want 16Gb == 2GB then just go out and buy it…

(If you really want to be a stickler, it would be Gib and GiB.)

• mdk77777

They’ve come down from $300 for 8 GB down to $125 over the last year.
      I’d say that is a pretty big move!! That it could go lower is great, but 16 GB for $250 is sweet if you ask me.

• indeego

It’s a workstation, expense it and write it offg{<.<}g

• Farting Bob

Reminds me of one place i worked last year briefly. One guy had managed to get hold of “80GTX in SLI and one of the Intel Extreme processors to do basic office work that could be done just as easily and quickly on a $800 laptop.

• SomeOtherGeek

But then, I’m sure his epeen was purring, no?

• blastdoor

This would be nice… I only have 10GB in my Mac Pro.

• sweatshopking

it might help speed up your evolution!

• GatorTPK

I have 16 GB in my iMac, and I got the first 8 GB at $150 and the second 8 GB a month later at about $120 (higher tier brand too!). Should have I waited till next month to get 16GB for under $170? Nah, but if it really did drop that much, that would be good, and besides Mac OS X really has no problem using 16 GB of RAM! It’s worth it just these few months to know it’s there for a “Windows 7” Virtual Machine at 8GB. Or when BOINC wants 1 GB for each 8 (logical) core.

Though why does Mac OS X do a few page outs (3-15, or ~3MB) even when I have 10 GB RAM free? It doesn’t always, but eventually it does, does anyone know what process may do that, any UNIX guru may be able to answer that.