Imminent Gran Turismo launch makes PC driving games that much more depressing

After one pay-to-play demo, numerous delays, and years of waiting, Gran Turismo 5 finally has a release date for the PlayStation 3. You’ll be able to sit behind the wheel of over a thousand meticulously modeled cars on November 24, according to Joystiq. All indications suggest that the driving sim will be well worth the wait. To start, the graphics look nothing short of gorgeous. Weather effects have been added to the game, and with a diverse array of vehicles and tracks at their disposal, players should be able to find something that suits them. There’s even an in-game track editor for creative types.

As an Xbox 360 owner, I’m incredibly jealous. While Forza Motorsport 2 is excellent, especially since I’ve actually been playing the full game for more than a year now, it looks like Gran Turismo is set to retake the crown. What really kills me, though, is that there appear to be no plans to port either game to the PC. Making matters worse is the fact that there really isn’t an equivalent that’s native to my gaming platform of choice.

There are plenty of driving games you can play on your desktop, of course. The Need for Speed franchise has been a staple for quite some time, and it recently tried to cater to the Forza and Turismo crowd with a racing-oriented Shift derivative. However, none of the driving games on the PC come close to matching the sheer volume of content and overall quality that flagship driving sims deliver on consoles. That’s a crying shame.

If anything, the more robust CPUs available in modern PCs should be better equipped to handle the complex physics engines responsible for recreating a believable (and hopefully still fun) driving experience. The PC platform certainly has the graphics horsepower to render cars and environments in luscious detail—something that continues to be a struggle on consoles that are often unable to render games smoothly at even 720p resolution, let alone 1080p. Enough PC driving games exist to suggest that users have interest in the genre. I can’t help but wonder why developers haven’t taken up the challenge of beating Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo at their own game. Surely, we have the technology.

• pot

Looking forward to GT5. The original GT is still one of my fondest memories of gaming! BTW, it should be better then Forza 2. It is coming out after.

• snouter

SimBin and iRacing do fine by me. I’ll get GT5, but for me, right now, iRacing is where it’s at. These games won’t be as shiny as GT5, but they do offer a really solid road racing experience. I’m not really thinking about the graphics when my larger issue is hitting my braking point and down shifting 2 gears. Need for Speed is a fine game, but it does not even try to be a sim.

• Bensam123

I’ve never understood the draw people have to racing games, similar to how people play sports games too.

They could just as easily attach a gun to the top of the cars and allow you to blow up other racers and it would become that much more interesting.

• Hurstmeister

I guess you would need to be a car enthusiast to really understand. My wife runs the Chin events at Sebring and Road Atlanta with her 96 Mustang Cobra. I have a 93 Mustang with a 408 that I take to the drag strip on weekends. So any time I can get my hands on a racing simulation game,.. the more realistic it plays the more ga ga I am over it. I still enjoy the arcade racers like Need for Speed as well.

We dont have a PS3, but with a game like GT5 on the table I might not be able to contain myself. And I’m really not a console fan. My son has an Xbox 360 and I sneek in and play the Forza games on it. Seems ridiculous to buy the PS3 just for one game,.. but I’m sure my son will get his use out of it as well.

• Bensam123

I can understand that, it’s the same thing with sports games.

…but you can just do something like this in real life… and it’s real.

• travbrad

I wouldn’t really consider myself a car enthusiast actually, but I love racing (both sims and RL when possible). For me it’s all about the driving experience. GT5 does focus very heavily on the “virtual car museum” compared to most though.

I’ve had the best multi-player competition of any games in racing sims. I still remember battles I’ve had on track years ago, like holding off someone for the last 10 laps with worn tires, as he hounded me every step of the way. ๐Ÿ™‚

• masaki

How about Super Mario Kart?

• geekl33tgamer

The PC has had some fine racing games over the years. Anyone remember / play:

– GTR
    – GTR Evolution
    – Grand Prix Legends
    – Race 07
    – Flatout / Flatout 2
    – Grand Prix 4
    – Test Drive: Unlimited
    – Race Driver 1/2
    – GRID

Some of them are 10 years old now, and I still play Grand Prix 4. The modding community have worked wonders with it. I now have high res textures and weather, 2010 season data and TV style graphics overlays…

They have even added new tracks that never existed on the F1 schedule when the game come out in 2001.

Who said racing games on the PC was dead, exactly?

• heater19

Gran Turismo certainly has been a fun series to play, i got into it with the classic GT3 on the PS2, however, but it’s a far cry to state there’s nothing on the PC that comes close

In fact, one of the deficiencies of the GT series is that it tries to do too much and turns out to be sim lite because of it,

IMO, GT doesn’t compare to the Colin Mcrae series, especially DIRT, which I still play, that game also has a variety of tracks, not just off road races, it also has a wide selection of vehicles, PLUS, fairly accurate damage modelling which increases the sim factor considerably

Also, don’t forget GRID and TOCA, which came before it

So, no, I’m not depressed about the state of racing games on the PC

• ADRENALIN

i bought my ps3 to play god of war 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and GT5

• DreadCthulhu

I would like to link to [url=http://www.simbin.se/games/volvogame.htm]Volvo – The Game [/url] which is a free racing for the PC. It is fun until it gets boring.

• kamikaziechameleon

I guess its quite funny that there aren’t any full fledged car sims on PC.

The SimBin games are phenominal and have had physics way ahead of anything console for a long time but forza 3 and GT5 finally adding damage will shake things up for sure. When will we get something that can please visually and stun us with its sim awesomeness at the same time.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Have you not heard of iRacing? If you want a “real” sim, then that’s it. It has good graphics (not “visually stunning”), but that’s not really the point of the sim.

On the other hand, it’s subscription-based with a price for all but the first few cars and tracks, so it’s not for everyone.

• kamikaziechameleon

I really don’t like conceding visuals for simines. I like the driving “experience” and without having my senses assaulted it isn’t so much a experience as a exercise ya know.

• snouter

Yep. If you want to know what it like to be a Saturday racer without the expense of running a real car, iRacing is great.

• BKA

HELLOOOO! Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is released today! LOL!

• Pax-UX

You don’t have GT5 equivalent for the PC, my problem is I can’t get office for my PS3.

• Crayon Shin Chan

But only one person has the vision/dedication. You can tell from the fact that GT has been around a long time, yet no game really has been labeled a “GT wannabe” or even “just another GT clone”. And that person just happens to have developed every game in the series for the Playstation platform.

• curv4k

I bought a ps2 just to play GT4. And I plan on buying a ps3 just for GT5. There’s just something about getting behind the wheel of an F1 car that’s irresistible!

• spuppy

F1 2010 PC version > all racing games

(post patch of course)

• yogibbear

Is it really? It just looks like GRID with F1 car meshes and textures. Is it really an F1 sim?

• spuppy

It’s pretty “sim” to me, but also very easy to get into. Especially with all the fixes

• Voldenuit

It’s not a sim unless your Red Bull team mate crashes into your or Ferrari orders you to slow down so Alonso can pass you :P.

• TaBoVilla

oh no you didn’t!

• yogibbear

Webber didn’t crash into Vettel. Vettel turned into Webber.

• Nikiaf

there are a lot of highly realistic racing sims for pc with fairly large community development, but these are not what can be called mainstream games. I’m thinking specifcally of rFactor here, which is excellent, but quite dated.

• Voldenuit

The thing I’m most looking forward to in GT5 is the Top Gear test track.

Although I’m fairly certain that the game will be as far a cry from a sim as its predecessors, but they were still fun (or maybe fun because they weren’t full sims).

• Flying Fox

If Prologue and the Time Trial Challenge are previews of things to come, the real game should be fairly accurate if you switch to Professional mode.

• HisDivineShadow

If you want to blame someone, blame Microsoft for deciding not to support the PC as a viable gaming platform. They’re the publishers of Forza. I wouldn’t expect Sony, who rarely publishes anything on PC besides MMO’s, to port Gran Turismo, but damn if Microsoft should support their red-headed stepchild of a platform that supported them for years before they abandoned it to go run naked in the streets with its blonde hotness, Xbox.

• Richie_G

Still can’t beat Carmaggedon as far as driving games go, but as someone has already said TOCA is about as real as it gets on PC. GRID is a great game too albeit a bit long in the tooth now. I have Dirt 2 as well, and although it’s much more bloated than you might like, it’s still great fun and looks fantastic.

• Vaughn

O snap that was good Gerbil

+1 rep

• _Shorty

iRacing rules all. The “physics” in everything else is laughable, and GT5 will be no different.

• panzerlied

This. iRacing is the most expensive option for a reason.

• JungCasey

Everything I’m reading says that the damage system does affect performance and handling.

• TaBoVilla

it will lack Physx support, 3D Vision Surround, DX11 Tesselation

NOT INTERESTED!!

(runs away to nearest best buy to secure a second ps3 and preorder 2 additional copies of GT5 in case one disk breaks on the way home)

• StashTheVampede

If you cannot damage the ride to the point where the car cannot be driven, then GT5 is “only” a PS3 version of GT and not a true upgrade to the console racing “sim” that THEY developed.

• lethal

[The rest are older PS2 models or low quali models].

I seriously doubt they are a copy paste from PS2 models. More likely, is that they didn’t scan / captured physical properties / record sounds again for a lot of cars and used the previously gathered data. Which is probably still good enough to make the new models for GT5, but not enough for interior modeling or detailed physical deformation.

• Hurstmeister

Dont crash and you wont have to worry about damage,.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• mslowe7187

Did you mean forza 3 geoff?

• xzelence

Geoff, have you tried GRID? ToCA Race Driver 3? Both are on Steam. The latter is a more realistic simulator. GRID 2, whenever it comes out, is expected to arrive on PC as well.

As jmke, post #11, points out, there’s a at least two or three PC only, online racing simulators that huge communities exist around, with full-on tournaments, brackets, qualifiers–just like real professional racing. However, these sims pride themselves in realism and probably lack the visual splendor you might be looking for.

• Dissonance

Played a decent amount of GRID, which is good, but not even close to Forza or what I’d expect from GT5. Haven’t tried ToCA, but it doesn’t strike as the sort of game that attempts to compete on depth and graphics.

Forza and GT are unique in their approach: gobs of tracks and cars, great graphics, plentiful customization options, and credible simulation. I’m sure that LFS can match on the simulation front, and perhaps do an even better job. The rest of the equation’s important for folks looking for a great driving simulator rather than just a physics-accurate racer. Visuals are a part of the overall simulation.

• TaBoVilla

toca race driver 3 is my all time favorite race sim

• Mikael33

Not a sim, arcade racer is the correct terminology bro.

• TaBoVilla

I’m pretty sure toca3 fits more in the almost-sim category than arcade racers such as NFS. Give it a try on the PC, throw a wheel, pedals, and try winning for example the karting championship on higher difficulties. It might not get close to rFactor or X motor racing, but certainly it’s no arcade racer.

• Metalianman

No, ToCA isn’t even close… iRacing, rFactor, LFS. These are proper sims for the PC and each one of them has it’s own strength and weaknesses. Most believe that rFactor has the best physics engine around when it comes to dry conditions (the engine isn’t equipped with weather effects). iRacing on the other hand has the lead in force feedback and racing experience but let’s be honest, none of these games have any serious graphics. There are a few games like GTR-2 and Race 07 that used the rFactor engine having great results, but these are getting old pretty fast.

The only game that’s been awaited with quite some expectation in the sim-racing world on PC is rFactor 2 but it’s gonna be lucking in content compared to GT5. The GT5 prologue didn’t have the best physics but even so, I might buy a PS3 only for this game! The content and the graphics should make it up compared to the actual physics but I really should wait and see.

It really is a shame that there’s isn’t a game to try and beat GT5 and Forza on a PC. Even worse that they don’t port those games to the PC at all!!

• paulWTAMU

I feel your pain ๐Ÿ™ I always liked racing games but the PC’s got a dearth of good ones.

• dpaus

l[

• potatochobit

but does it have DX 11 tesselation?

• marvelous

I might have to buy a ps3 just to play this game.

• henfactor

And there’s your answer right there. Something to be said for platform exclusivity.

• travbrad

I bought a PS2 solely for GT3, and a wheel too, which still works. I do wish something on the PC had the single-player experience of GT. F1 2010 is pretty good, but it’s a bit unpolished even after the patch, and not everyone cares about F1.

That being said, I’ve literally worn through high quality racing wheels from mulitplayer PC racing (Live For Speed, iRacing, GPL). LFSworld says I drove 44,000miles online. Unfortunately Live For Speed’s development pace has virtually stopped, and iRacing has a monthly fee. I have never felt physics and force feedback so perfect as LFS/iRacing.

• Anonymous Coward

I also ought a PS2 with wheel exclusively for GT4. It was great fun with friends (although those poor PS2’s didn’t do so good with 6 players at once, I recall). Never bought a 2nd game, and then sold it all.

• yogibbear

+1. Only reason to get one.

Will pick up a PS3 and a few other back catalogue games when GT5 releases. (Demon’s Souls!)

• dextrous

Only reason to get a PS3 is GT5! I’ll be getting both on 11/24

• Hurstmeister

Ditto,.. the only reason I bought a PS2 was because it came with GT3.

• juampa_valve_rde

depressing? im jealous waiting for rfactor2… thats a driving game!

Why Microsoft did not release a software update to add support to use racing wheels like g25/g27/momo/force gt with the 360?

• DancinJack

Because they don’t make money off those?

• Rza79

As mentioned, rFactor 2 or any Simbin game for that matter, make all those console games look like arcade games. I don’t care about graphics fyi.

• sweatshopking

the reason is, IT TOOK THEM 5 YEARS TO MAKE THE GAME. it’s too expensive (licensing) and too hard a process. End of story. all you dick pirates would steal it anyway.

• kamikaziechameleon

Not if it had steam built into it. ^_^

• Scrotos

It does but only when you crack your radiator in collisions!

• UberGerbil

There’s only one “dick pirate” around here, and it’s your wife.

๐Ÿ˜‰

• sweatshopking

you win my lol for the day. wife was confused. but that’s normal for her.

• BoBzeBuilder