id’s Rage arrives on the iTunes Store

This sets a shocking precedent: a next-generation blockbuster game premiering first on Apple’s iOS devices. Okay, so id Software’s Rage and Rage HD aren’t exactly full-length action RPGs like next year’s PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 releases will be. But these bargain-priced iOS apps do provide a sneak preview of the full game’s action elements and indoor decors.

I’m not kidding when I say "bargain-priced," by the way. id charges $1.99 for Rage HD, which has higher-resolution textures optimized for the iPhone 4 and iPad, and only 99 cents for the lower-resolution Rage. You’d better find some other game to play while downloading these, though; the high-res version is a 743MB download, and the lower-res one still weighs in at at hefty 537MB.

Graphically speaking, the screenshots suggest impressive visual fidelity much like what we saw in this summer’s tech demo. Since the game is still downloading on my iPhone, I can’t provide first-hand impressions, but I will post an update as soon as I can get into the driver’s seat.

Update: The download finally finished. Rage HD looks quite impressive for an iPhone game, although perhaps not quite as much as Epic Games’ Epic Citadel tech demo. In any case, the gameplay should be familiar to fans of rail shooters like House of the Dead. It’s definitely very-arcade-y, which is perhaps not a bad thing considering the learning curve for free-roaming shooters on the iPhone.

• yogibbear

The only thing that I am hoping for with Rage is that is it the end of Unreal 3 engine games. OMG i am SICK of them.

• A_Pickle

Rail FPS? Seriously?

• mcnabney

Yeah, those words seem to be contradictory.

Call it what it is, a pretty shooting gallery.

• PenGun

I am waiting for Rage for the PC. I expect to be disappointed. All the effort put into consoles and phones is not being put towards a killer game.

I’m sure it will be pretty. I’m not sure it will be a good game. After playing all of id’s games since Doom I understand how id makes games. I do not expect Rage to be as good as Stalker and that’s a pity. More effort into the game please.

• lex-ington

And this is why games are not using the full potential of PC graphics. There is more money to be made producing cheesy crap than putting in the man hours to produce a “COMPLETE” game for the PC.

• UberGerbil

Uh, you realize this was just a cut-down version of a “COMPLETE game” destined for the PC? And actually, it probably /[

• Corrado

I downloaded it. Its … its ok. Maybe with a little bit of time I will like it better. Looks just like every other id game though. Brown and … brown. I think the Epic Citadel demo is more impressive, however. I have it on an iPhone 4, but will try it out on the iPad when I get home to see if maybe the bigger screen will make it more enjoyable.

• Corrado

Update:

Tried it on the iPad. Its MUCH better than on the phone, if only because your left thumb is dedicated to aiming where as on the phone version its not. Your thumb also doesn’t cover much of the screen on the iPad. I actually kind of enjoy it now.

• herothezero

Is there a market for FPS/RPGs on mobile devices?

Seriously?

• sweatshopking

• Corrado

Theres clearly a market… or people wouldn’t be buying it. Esp since its a highly anticipated title, and a $2 price point for the HD version (.99 for the regular) LOTS of people will buy it JUST to check it out. Even if say, 150K people buy it, thats ~$150-200K in id’s pockets for something that likely took them less than a month to create.

• UberGerbil

Well, Carmack said he put personally put two months into it (g[<"I have a good idea what the codebase would look like if I wrote it from scratch... Iโ€™m sure I could do it in four months or so (but I am probably wrong). Unfortunately, I canโ€™t put four months into an iPhone project. Iโ€™m pushing it with two months.<]g) and it almost certainly took up some time for some of the other people there (though compared to Carmack, those other people are far more fungible and thus don't matter nearly as much to the company). But this is more of a proof-of-concept than anything, and while the pricing supposedly reflects the diminished content of the game vs the full Rage, it's also an interesting experiment in pricing in itself. They certainly don't risk any ill-will by attempting a premium pricing, and as you say they almost certainly gain a lot of impulse purchases -- there's a lot of marginal demand for anything priced below a dollar. (It's amusing to think that if you use their free WiFi to download this game, it's the cheapest thing you can buy at a Starbucks)

• Corrado

I think Carmack would do it anyways, whether they were releasing it or not. I think the main costs are paying the other people, which if they took 2-4 weeks to do art and what not, they made money on the game. Thats assuming also that they only sell 150K.

• indeego

I think Carmack is much more interested in the technical challenge of a platform than the monetary rewards. Sure the rewards are great to drive the nice cars and run your hobbys, but most [good] programmers I know just love to code for the problem solving/artistic benefits and consider it awesome they get paid to do sog{<.<}g

• Corrado

Yeah that was kind of my point. He probably did it cuz he wanted to, and the money made at least pays the other people involved.

• Decelerate

105-140k after Apple’s cut.

• UberGerbil

Games that are designed / ported appropriately for the device, sure I can see that. What I can’t get my head around is people watching movies on these things (especially movies where visual effects are a big part of the experience — “My Dinner With Andre” or “Juno” is one thing, but “Inception”?). I suppose if folks are re-watching movies they’ve already seen on the big screen, and can mentally fill in the details…

• demani

But phones playing 1080p is all the rage…because apparently people want to take their phones with them, and plug them into a TV for video output so they can watch movies.

Some time its so apparent that marketers are driving things…

• Firestarter

And yet I’ve used my laptop more than once to play a movie at my parents’. Sure, they have a DVD player, but why burn a DVD (if you can find one) when you can just play the movie? Even though there are plenty of TVs/setups that can play your movies, there’s still a market for this.

Although I agree, playing an HD movie on a smartphone is pushing it a bit.

• UberGerbil

I was not talking about laptops at all. I was talking about pocketable devices, which is what I assumed this entire thread was about.

• Meadows

Low prices create markets.

• Silus

This is one of the games on my “anticipating” list…along with Crysis 2. Always was a fan of id’s games and I’m always anxiously waiting for the next.

This engine seems to be really amazing. I also hope that Bethesda adopts it for its next titles, especially anything Fallout or Elder Scrolls related.

• StashTheVampede

id’s engines have always appealed to me for their “movement” compared to other engines (Unreal, Far Cry). I always felt like I was walking in id engines and felt like skating in every Unreal engine (even the R6 games). The other thing about id’s engines: STABLE as all hell.

They rarely seemed to crash, dedicated servers lasted for seriously long times and you could play virtually every title to completion (SP) without having to patch the title for any reason.

RAGE should hopefully get some serious life out of id since it can scale to consoles and PCs.

• Silus

Yeah, wasn’t Doom 3 (using id Tech 4) considered to be virtually bug free ?

I know I don’t remember a single crash or gameplay bug in that game.

• indeego

Not saying much, the game was heavily scripted and repetitiveg{<.<}g

• TaBoVilla

still, bug-free. the game never crashed on me out of the box.

• ManAtVista

Oh yea, an elder scrolls game built on id tech 5 would just rock my world.

• Silus

Indeed! It’s too bad that Bethesda isn’t talking about Elder Scrolls 5. I’m sure it’s in development, but after the success of Fallout 3, they seem to be focused on pushing another Fallout game.

It would be awesome if, after Rage is out, there was some announcement concerning Elder Scrolls 5!

• sweatshopking

do people actually LIKE phone games? I’ve hackulous’d like 1000000 games, and the only ones i actually enjoy are bookworm, sonic 1 and 2, 4(was lame) and carcasonne. Angry birds was meh. People are saying OMGOMGOMG IOS HAS MORE GAMES THAN ANYTHING!!!!!!! but they’re all clones. there are 10000 crappy tower defence games, 10000 physics based lame games. there are really only IMO, probably 100 games worth anything at all on the device. IDK, maybe i’m alone. This isn’t unique to iOS, android has the same problem. I’m not impressed with this rage demo at all.

• Da_Boss

Well I doubt that the iPhone was ever meant to be a serious gaming platform, despite the fact that Jobs likes to draw comparisons between it and PSP, DS, etc. That being said, it does have a host of very addictive casual games that people (myself included) seem to enjoy. They won’t keep me up till 3 playing them, but they serve their purpose.

Also, graphics like that on a phone have to be impressive on some level… ๐Ÿ˜€

• HiggsBoson

I think there are probably more than 100, and some of the variations are actually novel and interesting, but for the most part, agree.

• indeego

I’d never pay for a phone game. After playing a tad bit of Angry Birds, the most frustrating thing to me is watching the birds randomly go in a direction due to a very slight mis-swipe. Hear my rage: *[

• sweatshopking

+1 to this! touch screens suck!

• demani

That’s actually one of the worst things about Angry birds. It’s not a good version of that style. There are far better examples that provide more interesting gameplay and way better controls. I played Angry Bords once to see what the deal was, and was immediately frustrated by how sucktastic it was. iBlast Moki is similar, but does way more in terms of refining the controls and making it a puzzle game rather than a luck game.

If the game is done right, and designed with the portability factor in mind, it can be a lot of fun. Fieldrunners, Reign of Swords, Trism were all good games because they used what they had to work with to good effect. A port like PuzzleQuest can make it too, but again, needs to be done well. I would pay for any of those again (i.e. I don’t feel ripped off at all).

• muyuubyou

100 would be more than enough decent games for a phone. I only play a “snake” clone sometimes, the controls are awful in almost all the games when you compare to the DS for instance.

Can’t bother draining the battery any more when the device barely makes it to through the day. Phone games are a PITA.

• Jigar

Are you done downloading ?

Are you done downloading ?

Are you done downloading ?

Are you done downloading ?

Are you done downloading ?

• kamikaziechameleon