3DMark 11 to be released November 30

Big news in benchmarking land: Futuremark has revealed that 3DMark 11, the next version of its popular graphics testing software, will be available on November 30. We’ve been following this release from the early builds to the trailer released just last month, so it’ll be interesting to check out the full version.

3DMark 11 will be available in three editions. The free, basic version will offer a single performance preset, an “audio visual demo” locked at 720p, and the ability to store a single result online. The advanced edition, priced at $19.99, will add multiple performance presets, custom resolution settings, unlimited online storage for online results, as well as the ability to store multiple results online. Finally, the $995 professional edition will bring together all online and offline features, including automation and “priority customer support.” (The professional edition is also licensed for commercial use, which explains the eye-popping asking price.)

All versions of 3DMark 11 will have the same minimum requirements: Windows 7 or Vista, a DirectX 11 graphics card, a dual-core processor clocked at 1.8GHz, and 1GB of system RAM. It looks like the benchmark’s various tests will make heavy use of tessellation, with other state-of-the-art eye candy thrown in.

• bfar

These days it’s a platform for generating hype over the latest gaming hardware, rather than an indicative measure of gaming performance.
    The focus on future features renders it a bit useless. It might offer us a reasonable guess at tomorrows hardware needs, but since most of us will have replaced our current hardware by the time these DX11 features are in any way mainstream, I find the whole excercise rather pointless.

• Code:[M]ayhem

Amazing its been 10 years now since the last time that 3DMark had any relevance in the benchmarking world

• indeego

Any? TR still uses it. It is a useful “generic” benchmark. No single benchmark is universally relevant to all needsg{<.<}g

• wiak

some people has money to use on real things like their house
    and news flash, Radeon HD 5970 is still faster than GTX 580 mind you, and guess what? that card is a year old!

• DaveJB

Remember when 3DMark 2001SE was considered the go-to benchmark for graphics cards? Ahh, those were the days. Pity they had to go and release the utter joke that was 3DMark 2003.

• PetMiceRnice

Dang, I guess no love for the GeForce 8200M in my laptop. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Krogoth

Geez, our favortie epenis tech demo suite that has little or no reflection on real world performance.

I guess Futuremark can’t allow Unigine have all of the buzz among the tech demo crowd.

• sweatshopking

I like being able to scroll down all the news posts and see me as the last poster on all of them.

• dpaus

Hell of a step in that pricing tier… $20 to $1,000. Ouch.

• Farting Bob

They know that alot of review websites will have to cough up for it though or they wont be able to use it in their reviews, and as pointless as it is, people still judge cards by syntethic benchmarks as much as real world results.

• dpaus

Yeah, I’m just saying that while I’m used to seeing the pricing of a software package double from one tier to another (think MS-Office), or even go up by 10x (some highly specialized technical software), I’ve never seen a 50x jump in price from one tier to another.

• sschaem

I think I found of a bug in MS Calc! or your logic is broken…

0 x 50 != $19.99

• dpaus

Speaking of faulty logic, did you miss the part of the op that clearly said ‘$20 to $1,000’ ?? Regardless, infinity is even more of a jump, and so just reinforces my point ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mystic-G

But why? Real world results are so much more worth looking at.

• Silus

Nah, the perception of the usefulness of applications like 3DMark, changes each generation, depending on what company has better results in it ๐Ÿ™‚

• TaBoVilla

2x nah, last time it was somewhat indicative of performance was the 3DMark03-05 days, it went downhill from there =(

• Jigar

So this $20 software will show me, how pathetic my Quad core system @ 3.7GHZ with HD5850 is ? No thank you.

• tejas84

Yeah but it will show how great my i7 and GTX 580 rig is.

Sorry dude but some people just don’t settle for less like you…

• TaBoVilla

nominated for Troll Comment of the Year

• Jigar

My brain is functional to normal state you see. The Quad core is there since 2006 and has still got good grunt @ 3.7 GHZ. Yes i have to agree, the graphic power is not extreme, but let me tell you, my common sense says, HD5850 @ 950MHZ CPU and 4600MHZ memory is enough to push 1680X1050 resolution. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• sweatshopking

You’re damn skippy it is. That system is a beast by any account. A 5850? quad core @ 3.7ghz! that system destroys 99% of the systems on the market.

• dpaus

And still, he calls it ‘pathetic’. Some people…

• tejas84

You mid rangers keep kidding yourselves about your low end rigs.

Your reality distortion field is strong I see. But there are people in this world that like the best and money is not really an issue. They generally make the world go around.

Be it a Ferrari or a GTX 580 or AMD 6990 there is a market for it and haters who can’t afford it just hate…

3D Mark 11 is a product. Don’t like it? Then don’t buy. Sheesh some of you need to live in North Korea. It’s more your economic style.

Just saying….

• sweatshopking

cool story bro.
            I’m happy with my system. there’s nothing to “kid” about. my 4850 plays everything on high on my 1024×768 monitor.
            OBVIOUSLY there are markets for lots of stuff. Doesn’t mean it is good on a value proposition. it’s not about hate. it’s about common sense, and contentment. I spent my money on 2 years of volunteering. 25k. that would buy me a few of your computers. As for the socialist attack. sure. I like socialism. Not a huge fan of the glorious leader, but I’m not sure our economic system is any better, it just makes other people poor, rather than us North Americans. Normally discussions on politics reside in the R&P section of the forum. Head on over there, if you’re looking to argue.

• Dashak

Hahaha. The troll finally got trolled himself.

• sweatshopking

๐Ÿ™

• PenGun

Actually it’s the people who think money is not a problem who are putting your poor damn economy into a unsustainable state.

Expect to be poor America ’cause it’s coming.

• DrCR

Indeed. As iirc Margaret Thatcher put it, socialism is great until you run out of someone else’s money. I think that’s what we are finding out the hard way. (both Bush and Obama spent/are spending money like a drunken sailor, Bush for an Orwellian America, Obama for a socialistic America while keeping the Orwellian movement set in place by Bush)

• sweatshopking

Here’s an idea! stop spending other peoples money! take revenues are the lowest they’ve ever been. Bring back the 90% tax on the wealthiest people! stop spending money we don’t have!

You just got professionally trolled. Pretty sure you missed the subtle sarcasm in his post. :p

• Jigar

Yeah, i could see that, talented professionals are increasing in numbers at TR.

• Fighterpilot

Ah…but if only it /[

• sweatshopking

yah, i’m not sure what subtly he’s talking about.

See, I don’t think he really has an i7 or a GTX 580, so I think he was being silly.

Then again, I refuse to believe anybody ever would spend more than, say, even $300 on a video card.

• Voldenuit

I’m with Jigar. 3DMark was at best a dubious benchmark in its heyday when it was free, and as a pay product today is entirely a waste of money.

• can-a-tuna

And buying $500 video-card is not waste of money? 20$ is small price to pay for a software.

• sweatshopking

i love your grammar.

• Jigar

You get performance out of that $500 card, do you get the same from this ?

• travbrad

$20 is not a small price to pay for a piece of software that is useless. It would be like paying for Yahoo Toolbar or something.

A video card at $500 is an infinitely better value than 3dmark IMO.

In its heyday it was a very good predictor of performance in one game, Max Payne. 3D Mark 01 was actually referenced in the system requirements – if you scored 900 or better, you could play the game, and 2200 or better and you were definitely in the recommended specs.

ยง[< http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=20857&tab=sysreqs<]ยง

• Voldenuit

Ironically most people probably played through that game in slow motion anyway :P.