New Thermaltake case has built-in drive dock

We’ve made no secret of our appreciation for Thermaltake’s hard-drive docking stations in the past. The company’s latest entry in that field is a little unusual, because… well, it’s got a PC enclosure strapped to it. Meet the Dokker, which could also be described as a $65 ATX mid-tower with a docking station mounted on the top bezel.

The Dokker looks relatively well-endowed, with room for up to five 3.5" hard drives, as many as seven fans (though only a single fan comes pre-installed), and graphics cards as long as 12.5". Look a little closer, and you’ll even find anti-vibration hard-drive mounts, liquid-cooling holes, and a CPU socket cut-out in the motherboard tray. The star of the show is, of course, the top-mounted drive dock, which can accommodate 3.5" or 2.5" Serial ATA drives much like Thermaltake’s BlacX and other open-top docking stations.

If one thing about this case surprises me, it’s the price. $65 sounds eminently affordable for a decent enthusiast enclosure, let alone one with such a unique selling point. I’m not a huge fan of windowed side panels, but everything else about this item looks well thought-out, from the bottom-mounted PSU area to the fact that Thermaltake left room for extra-long graphics cards. Too bad USB 3.0 didn’t make it into the mix, but that’s not as much of a requirement when you can just slap a bare drive on top of the chassis and get to work.

• Trymor

Needs turned HD mounting, and a descent tool-less card mounting mechanism to make me buy it. Filter is a joke.

• demani

I do like the Coolermaster design better than this one, but the price isn’t too bad figuring it costs $20 for a decent dock (i.e. one that has SATA).

As for bare drives: docks seem to work better since the power cables never have to get disconnected (and AC adapters lost). I also use cases (hudzee and wiebetech both make 3.5in drive specific cases, and hudzee also has a 2.5in version) to store drives (we have one area with about 250+ drives-cases are really nice for keeping them organized, plus you can store them on end rather than stacking drives.

• Trymor

thx.

• indeego

Only people that sleep all the time would buy crap like thisg{<.<}g

• kamikaziechameleon

This is the second case I’ve seen featuring this awesome feature. Hope this trend continues.

• flip-mode

That case wins. Nice. It is much nicer looking at ditches the tacky case windows, thank the savior. $80. May have to grab one…

Wow, that’s really snazzy. Is the dock SATA or USB?

• jbraslins

SATA.

Uses regular SATA cable to connect to mobo’s sata port.

That’s what I was hoping. Sweet. Wish it wasn’t such an open design.

• xtalentx

wow I dig this case a lot… Might end up in my next build..

• DrkSide

This is the exact case I bought for a test rig. Everything fits in it and the dock on the top is perfect for data transfers and recovery.

Clean lines, two installed fans, and you can even turn off the led via a button at the top.

When it was announced I waited for it to come out and have not been disappointed at all!

• WasF

Drive is cooled how?
    2 fans would’ve been nice. With 1 single fan, the product is not “ready-to-use”.

• kroker

Nice, but isn’t the drive somewhat vulnerable to accidental hits sitting on top like that? Also, wouldn’t the drive be more vulnerable carrying it around without an enclosure (since this is the idea from what I can see)? Not to mention it kind of looks awkward. Other than that, neat idea to have a case with a built-in PC enclosure.

• Voldenuit

Accidental hits from what? I’ve been using a VANTEC external eSATA dock for over a year now, and haven’t had any trouble with the WD 1TB and 2TB drives that usually live there.

As to bare drives left to their own devices, they are powered down in that state, so not much happens to them unless there are exceptionally bad environmental conditions about (humidity, dust) in which case the drives in the case are just as vulnerable.

• kroker

l[

• Voldenuit

q[

• TaBoVilla

this is amazing! I would “so much” use this at work, provided the hard drive on top had a little “extra” protection (like an extra plastic snap-able cage or something), making hard drive swapping as easy as 1, 2! ..not even 3!

Imagine having all systems equally built, OS ghost images on reserve hard drives, files and folders accessed and saved on servers, etc. I would be swapping hard drives on the slightest choke anyone had, in seconds. No downtime! ah. . . IT jobs stink!.. .

• just brew it!

What’s the internal interface (from the dock to the mobo)? Hopefully it is SATA. If it is USB2 then meh…

• DrkSide

I’m sure that it would at least be eSata (routed out the back and into the motherboard). More than likely it is just a normal sata connection for compatibility purposes.

If it was USB2 then I doubt that they would market “blazing fast” speeds.

• jss21382

………….

• FuturePastNow

………… -is right.

There is no possible benefit to routing a eSATA cable out the back of the case, vs an internal SATA connection. Why would you even think that?

• Voldenuit

I’m a bit dismayed by the open mesh fascia. Not to mention the side panel intake. Though I imagine the steel panels are probably wafer-thin at this price point anyway.

Cases with good sound insulation/design seem to be on the wane again.

• sweatshopking

damn it!
      I knew the drive to work would cost me a first post. Well done sir. My hat’s off to you 🙂

• ImSpartacus

You have a problem.

• sweatshopking

I do. it’s my job. it’s keeping me from winning the first posts!! I think this layoff can’t come soon enough. I need to dedicate ALL of my time to this. Plastic has gotten a few. Tabovilla got one. now voldenuit! this is getting out of hand. I’m going to work harder! I need a montage of first posts rocky style! Get me all trained up again!

• plasticplate

Same problem here dude, have to leave for office earlier nowadays. Missing out on my first posts. Damn u voldenuit damn u 🙁

• sweatshopking

where you working at? and by that I mean, Which corner? ;P

• TaBoVilla

europe time FTW, I got teh advantage! I’m refreshinn TR even before you guys wake up for worky

• ImSpartacus

/facepalm You people are terrible, lol.

• sweatshopking

That’s cheatin! 🙂

• Trymor

Spell something with the first letters of each first post. That would be impressive. 😉

• Voldenuit

Made you look. 😛

Now that everyone’s figured out that you can get a 1000RPM 12cm fan for intake and a big tower cooler with a slow 12cm fan, open cases are “quiet enough” for most folks.

Not for me, mind you. I still really like the Antec Sonata Proto.

• plasticplate

Yea, it would have been good if the side panel was just plain without any mesh or windows. Works good for cooling, but is really notorious for collecting a huge amount of dust in a short span of time. But for the price, really cant complain much about this case.