Intel adds Atom with embedded FPGA

Well, it looks like Intel is treading some new ground with its Atom CPUs. The company has announced the Atom E600C series, a new lineup of chips that bring together Atom E600 microprocessors and Altera field-programmable gate arrays on the same package.

Intel says four derivatives, branded E665CT, E645CT, E665C, and E645C, will be available within the next two months. Another two, the E625CT and E625C, will follow next quarter. Intel quotes volume prices of $61 to $106, which aren’t a whole lot higher than what it charges for netbook- and nettop-bound Atom CPUs right now.

According to the official announcement, the Atom E600C series let hardware makers incorporate "a wide range of standard and user-defined I/O interfaces, high-speed connectivity, memory interfaces and process acceleration to meet the evolving needs of embedded device market segments." FPGAs, naturally, can be programmed to stand in for dedicated silicon in a variety of tasks. Embedding them onto the same silicon as the Atom CPU core is an interesting move, though.

• raijin

the convey hc-1 series seems to operate just fine under linux, and with a much more complex fabric- this should be a small set of kernel patches and a readily available userspace set of libraries- if the performance can represent of the fraction of the advantage of the convey ‘personality’ system this will be a great boon to computing in general- now I am waiting for the sandy bridge version, hybrid core seems like a logical progression from coprocessors.

• ludi

IMO this is clearly a move for the embedded space. Think relatively low-volume industrial controllers and maybe set-top boxes that need to implement a certain amount of custom logic but aren’t produced in sufficient quantity to justify the production run of a full-custom ASIC.

• amirol

Hattig! is there any microscopic image to see? Is it as Core i3 doual chips?

• sweatshopking

no. it’s an additional chip, that has to be installed alongside the rest of the chipset.

• Wirko

Interesting indeed but it is not clear whether the FPGA is going to be reconfigurable by software or not.

• sweatshopking

that’s true. software is the key.

• amirol

oh the price is high in the moon.

• Hattig

It isn’t embedded in the same silicon. It’s another multi-chip module.

• mako

This. They stuck an Altera FPGA die in the same package.

• Forge

I think this is a more strategic move than it initially appears. Atom’s main weakness to date has been it’s difficulty in shoveling large amounts of numbers. It is relatively weak in video decode/encode, for example…. But now we can configure the FPGA into a codec, and have your HD video or audio encode run on that, leaving the Atom itself free to draw a pretty GUI while the work gets done.

Could be interesting, depends on how well it’s implemented.

• amirol

you mean,It can be good on theory ? As first Phenom generation which was boasting before final release? Good on paper ?this is a hardware codec?

• blastdoor

So if you’re Apple and are en route to selling 100 million iDevices a year that all use the same chip, you have the luxury of designing exactly the chip you need. But if you’re some small time operation like, say, Dell that just expects to sell a few hundred thousand devices a year, then this gives you the ability to have a somewhat customized chip, too.

Is that the idea here?

• sweatshopking

The pokemon is on point!

• amirol

Dear Blastdoor,is there any such a solution in AMD APUs with the same power draw in Atom TDPs which can do vidio tasks while the main part of the APU is free at the same time ?or i didn t understand the point?

Me.!!!.the English Master!!!!!!!

• sweatshopking

No there isn’t. Atom uses less power. and wtf, you’re not an english master. I want to know what demographic you fall in. are you a boy? or a girl? how old are you? I assume you’re chinese. Amirol, please tell me.

• amirol

Ok ,I was jocking..Really,I speak and write after 6 years I graduated .Even English is not my foreign language WHERE we live .I passed it and put it aside up to now,as you mentioned before I am speaking so artificial sometimes bookish not real lively one.Need is the Mother of inventions,i need to know Im trying to understand the points you and other TR commenters put in footnotes, so its about 2 years or more that I scan this site beside two more,while I didn t write any thing up to now,I need to learn LIVE spoken language ,while bored with artifitual robatic language( I think the way I (WE) learn english is false and with no use,)In addition to my own personal ICT and ICDL field of attiontion which I do efforts in learning it in my mother tongue to become more update I need it to surf these sites.
          I am teaching and my academic course is BA in teaching Litrature,I am male ,about 28(While my inner baby spirit is so infant ) my name is Amir,
          usually online (amirol) and LOL.Love you all becouse I learn the hints you put.Pardon me for the time you spend to read my post.
          Good night (for you : Have a good time ….).bye bye

• sweatshopking

that’s cool bro. Here’s a tip. people on this site, like posts to be unbiased. meaning that people should look at the product, not the brand. I know you like AMD, and don’t like nvidia. When discussing them, try to relax. also, you can join my fan club. that would bring the total members to…. 1. We are good friends Amir. I’m Josh. We’re best friends now.

• MadManOriginal

When did I get kicked out of your fan club? :*(

• sweatshopking

We’re bros. You’re not in my fan club. I’m in your fanclub.

• Generic

Another happy ending to an internet bromance.

I promised myself I wouldn’t cry, but here we are.

• sweatshopking

Generic, you’re right! this is too touching! omg! lets huge. everyone get in here! *sniffle*

I love you guys! I know I hear “you’re tiresome”, “you’re an idiot”, and “why haven’t you been banned?”, but I really do love you guys! “sob” This is what makes it all worth it!

• sweatshopking

Yah!!! first take that plastic, vold, and tabo!