Developer of DRM-free Witcher 2 set to go after pirates

When the CD Projekt’s Witcher 2 role-playing game hits in May of next year, torrent-sniffing companies will be keeping an eye out for folks downloading the game. According to Joystiq, CD Projekt is already preparing its legal offensive against pirates, who can expect to be fined if caught sharing the title. This kind of aggressive legal action is common in the entertainment industry, but it’s been confined largely to music and movies. Games are relatively new turf.

When lawyers go after folks sharing music and movies, there’s often outcry that piracy wouldn’t have been necessary if only the content was offered at a reasonable price and free of DRM restrictions. Anything short of free seems to qualify as too expensive for some, but at least with Witcher 2, there’s no need to worry about DRM cramping your style. Good Old Games has the rights to this PC exclusive, which will be offered completely free of digital rights management. Paying customers will be able to download and install the title as many times as they please.

Without an online multiplayer component that could require some form of authentication, Witcher 2 is essentially being served up to pirates on a silver platter. But it’s also being offered in a format that should assuage the concerns that some have over buying games online. I’m curious to see how this approach pans out for the developer, which hopes to sell 1.3 million copies of the game. The first Witcher has high critic and user scores on Metacritic, so there will surely be demand for the sequel. I can only hope that demand translates into sales, encouraging other developers to pursue the DRM-free path. At the same time, however, it’s probably unrealistic to expect would-be pirates to be deterred by the threat of legal action.

• HisDivineShadow

GoG exclusive? I see it advertised all over Steam as currently under a discounted preorder price. It’s also in my wish list currently. Perhaps you mean GoG is the only one not slapping some kind of DRM around it?

• ThorAxe

Stealing sucks. No excuses.

• yogibbear

This game is going to be AWEEESSSOMMMMEEEEEE.

If you have not played the Witcher you suck (or RPGs just aren’t your thing).

• sweatshopking

well, I’ve played it. I guess I don’t suck!

• burntham77

I played the first game, and I love RPGs, but I just could not get into it. The controls never felt quite right.

• Bensam123

This is totally a trap. The Witcher wasn’t exactly a good game. They’re doing this to gather attention pre-launch and then they’re going to blame their poor sales on pirates. I even heard it’s being distributed via a torrent…

I bet they’re thinking they’re just going to log every IP that connects to their tracker, compare it to who bought the game, and then send letters to everyone else. It’s a easy way to make a lot of money when you know your game sucks.

• rechicero

You don’t like RPG games or you didn’t play The Witcher. It’s not just “good”, it’s one of the best games in the genre.

it was pretty good.

• Peffse

Sorry, have to side with Bensam here. Witcher was not the best game by far. I love RPGs… but Witcher just felt unfinished. Support on it was worse.

• Bensam123

Yup…

Sad, when people are so starved for good games they they think anything that is mildly entertaining, even if it’s completely bug ridden and glitchy, is good.

• boing

I agree, one of the finest RPGs made. Far better than the POS called Dragon Age.

• thecoldanddarkone

I thought the game was decent, sure it wasn’t perfect but it was worth playing. I’m not going to say it was the best game either though.

• aatu

I only played the demo of the first Witcher for a while and I have to say, I didn’t like it. But I appreciate the fact they made the demo in the first place.

• DrCR

I don’t pirate games, but in a sense everyone is a pirate — game on the hard drive + game loaded in memory while running it. Computers inherently break copyright laws.

I’m not saying that’s an excuse to go stealing someone’s IP. Just that the current law is really nuts…. especially when you consider how much lighter the sentence’s are for adolescents shoplifting a few pairs of socks compared to those who have illegally downloaded the same few dollars worth in songs.

We keep being sold a song and dance by politicians. Two things would be nice: tort reform and immigration reform. Lots of talk, no action. I guess they somewho go against’s the democrats fascist socialism, and the republican’s big-brother we’re here for your security never mind the constitution.

Wow, went into a bit of a rant there. I’ve hope there’s at least 1 guy here not personally offended haha. 🙂

• sweatshopking

i’m not. BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS. now we’re allies. only us against them. all of them. and they mean. I’m like james bond. you’re like my hot sidekick/babe. this can work.

• MadManOriginal

I support CDProjekt and those who fight piracy even if I often don’t condone their specific actions. What may be interesting to see here is how much they expect pirates to pay. If it’s tens of thousands per copy then yeah. that’s kind of crap, but if they send them letters charing say $100 or something that would be reasonable and fair, just enough to be punishment and make them think twice but not rediculous amounts like the RIAA/MPAA has sued for.

• NeelyCam

It’s a question of an effective deterrent. The expected ‘damage’ (usually financial, but sometimes beyond that – as in getting thrown in jail) needs to be balanced with the risk of getting caught.

• honoradept

here, asian countries, people can get a physical copy just 2-4$. nevertheless, most of gamer enjoy piracy.

• swampfox

Aren’t the physical copies that cost $2-4 just pirated copies burned onto a CD and sold in a store though? It works that way where I live.

• rechicero

#55

And they offer a free game. That’s great. What it’s not that great is the extra cost for Europe, 33% more!! (GOG tries to fix it, truth be told).

I checked and Impulse-Stardock charge that to Europeans, too. Anyway, I’ll buy it from GOG. Thanks!

• ew

Get sued for pirating or buy without DRM. This is an acceptable compromise.

• PetMiceRnice

As someone who stopped buying PC games because of product activation and other DRM schemes, I sincerely hope this approach works out for the developer.

• rechicero

A game without DRM and you want to buy it from Steam??? Nonsense. Buy it from Stardock…

By the way, The Witcher is probably in the top 3 of RPG games. Without DRM, I’ll be the first to buy it.

• destroy.all.monsters

Impulse requires the client to update and run. It doesn’t require it to play, that’s true enough.

Still, GOG.com is offering it – and I believe Gamersgate is offering it as well. Both are laudable services that neither tie you to a client nor add unnecessary drm. With GOG all the proceeds go to the devs since they’re a part of CD Projekt and all the games on their service is drm free.

• tejas84

CD Projekt are easily one of my favorite studios. I don’t want to see them fail BUT I am worried that the pirates will treat it as a free for all and just abuse and take take take

They should have at least put Steamworks DRM as a standard.

I fear for them

• lilbuddhaman

I pirated the original witcher, loved it, but it was buggy, and didn’t complete more than the first section. Later, it was re-released as a director’s cut (or whatever) and I bought that.

I’ll be buying this one day one, assuming the reviews don’t claim there are massive issues (especially performance with top of the line rigs !)

• tejas84

Kudos to you buying the game….

On another note,

It deserves so much support. CD Projekt are the good guys. Piraters should just fuck off and leave the Witcher 2 alone.

• Duck

Piraters are the good guys. Freedom fighters / modern day robin hoods.

• l33t-g4m3r

In a way, you’re right, and in a way, you’re wrong.
          Regardless, I can definitely see this legal offensive biting CD Projekt in the butt, since they are literally alienating their potential customers.
          High initial prices and suing pirates? bad move. We are your customers, treat us nice and you will get the business.

• khands

Initial prices aren’t high, I don’t understand what you’re whining about.

• l33t-g4m3r

The whole argument behind digital distribution was that prices could be lowered because of reduced cost, but we are not yet seeing the savings passed on to the consumer.
            Retail prices are fine, the digital prices are what I have a problem with.

• Duck

If you don’t like it then you have to wait. They are trying to make money and reduced prices come from competition or special offers. I never pay the full price. If people were not so impatient the price would drop sooner.

• rechicero

Mmm, if you pirate a game without DRM you’re not a costumer (some people, like me, download games that they already own, to avoid DRM)

Back in my day, we used to do this thing called saving money. Can’t afford to buy a shiny new toy? Skip lunch for a couple of days. That’s how I bought CD’s. Maybe that’s why you’re fat, getting your music and your fast food.

• MadManOriginal

Haha…freedom fighters? If you mean they like to get the the work of others for free, yeah…they are fighting for their own free goods. And Robin Hood? He stole from the rich and gave to the poor, not to himself.

• Duck

It applies much more to music and movies than games… but yeah, they are encroaching on our digital freedom and you will be expected to show some gratitude to the underground/pirates/whatever tbh. Pirates share their warez and considering the amount that gets put out I doubt they use any of the software themselves. It’s not even stealing is it? Copy from the rich, give to the people. Close enough.

• PrincipalSkinner

So how much will they charge? 50$, 60$?

45$ USD

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah thats what I saw on steam.

• potatochobit

phantasy star universe on PC was released without DRM
    and it was pirated by half the community
    they should at least use a CD key or something

• khands

That’s actually not bad compared to what most devs/publishers claim.

• l33t-g4m3r

I thought that game did have a form of drm, and an online subscription element.

• potatochobit

yes, after the first month you had to pay a monthly fee
        but the game itself could be copied and installed and anyone could make as many accounts as they watned

• iatacs19

I’ll buy a copy to support the principle.

• l33t-g4m3r

I don’t condone buying the digital edition, drm or not.
    It’s too expensive compared to retail, for not having the right to resell it.
    $30 and I’d buy it from GOG, but $45? Ha!
    I’d rather pay $48 on amazon, and get a physical copy that I can later resell and get back some of that ridiculously high initial cost.

I’m not the only one who thinks games are priced too high:
    §[< http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20022646-17.html<]§ Digitally distributed games especially. I like the anti-drm stance, but damn dudes, lower the price. The $50 range is reserved for a physical box and manual.

• sweatshopking

I agree, broseph. it makes no sense to keep the same price, when they don’t have the same costs.

• Duck

Makes sense to me. Increase profit margins and you would pick no?

• sweatshopking

I get the thinking, but i’m not going to pay that. I ACTUALLY HAD TO ASK MY WIFE IF I WAS ALLOWED TO BUY AOE3 AT 10 CENTS.

• l33t-g4m3r

lol. I doubt that, but the idea is still funny.

• sweatshopking

i’m not joking. I had to use the CC. I had to ask.

• Flying Fox

Yet you want to sell her horses without her permission? 😛

• sweatshopking

yes. but I was too scared. 🙁 horses are still out there taunting me

• MadManOriginal

You would have to be a moron to buy a single-player offline game at initial release i[

• tejas84

They will be lucky if they sell 300,000 copies.

The rest will be pirated. CD Projekt are great guys but boy are they going to get burnt by this.

I at least will buy a legit copy.

• thudo

Torrents? Thats all they are searching to litigate? Wow welcome to 2005. There are soo many other avenues/exploits then just Torrents.

• NeelyCam

Easier avenues attacked first, because that’s where bulk of the “market” is

• tviceman

I hope they follow through with this strategy and nab themselves some piraters. I like not punishing paying customers.

• Duck

Good Old Games exclusive? So this is a USA only release or can we expect the euro version to be DRM infested?

• khands

DRM free version is only going to be on GOG I believe, the rest will use steam (I think, will need to double check that).

• Duck

Steam is fine but it does drop the amount I’m willing to pay right down since you are stuck with it forever. But the Steam sales gets round that one.

• sweatshopking

damn. Jigar got it! Lucky devil!

• mcnabney

You are supposed to take your meds every day for them to work.

• Jigar

Muhahahaha…. 😛

• flip-mode

I might have to buy this just to support the DRM free movement.

• bittermann

This will fail……cuz people suck

Don’t count on them doing the right thing like pay for what you can get for free. gamers have a sense of entitlement beyond anything else…

• Duck

Sins of a solar empire was released DRM free and was a huge success. It topped the sales charts and some people bought it just because it was DRM free. It made x10 the revenue of what it cost to make.

People like the pirate version because it’s better in every way. Quality, service and cost. To stop people pirating so much you just have to come up with a better product.

• l33t-g4m3r

Don’t forget demigod. $20 was it? I think that’s about what I paid for Sins too. Good games, at not unreasonable prices.

• sweatshopking

I paid 30$ for HON. I liked it more than demigod. I really loved galactic civilizations though.. good ol stardock..

• OneArmedScissor

“gamers have a sense of entitlement beyond anything else… ”

“Gamers” are very often pretty much kids with hardly a dollar to their name, who may have been at a very impressionable age during the several years that “free downloading” with P2P file sharing was the only downloading at all.

I really doubt there is this army of 30+ year old people with decent jobs, intentionally torrenting PC game after PC game. Even young “gamers” with hardly any money may put about every dollar they have towards video games.

The video game industry is exploding and it’s doing that because money is pouring in – to consoles.

Even people who grew up with “free” P2P file sharing are becoming accustomed to paid downloads of music, movies, and video games. It will just take time for that short lived generation to become old enough to have real jobs and outnumbered by new generations raised on “paid downloads.”

And when we reach that point, we will likely see that PC games were really just dying off all along. Sorry, but the truth is that consoles are just going to step on the toes of the PC game industry more and more as time goes on.

well thought out post.

• l33t-g4m3r

I don’t think so. Most of the numbers that say pc gaming is dying are cooked, often referring to retail and no digital. Then there is a core demographic of solid pc gamers, and also modders who contribute greatly to the pc appeal, not to mention superior hardware.
            PC gaming’s biggest problem is corrupt companies. These organizations want to milk every last dollar from people, and move as many people to consoles as possible, and to do so they implement funny statistics, ad campaigns, terrible drm, poor ports, and general fud. Meanwhile the non-corrupt guys are doing just fine, and as long as they’re around PC gaming will do fine as well. Hopefully people will someday quit buying altogether from the jerks, which will put them out of business. For those who want PC gaming to die, you first. ;P

• OneArmedScissor

I never said that PC games aren’t selling well.

What I’m saying is that there are “teething” issues with the “new” face of the PC game market. It’s a gray area that’s open to manipulation, as you have pointed out. The smoke will eventually clear and we’ll see that those things were insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The problem is that by the time that happens, the playing field will have changed even more in favor of consoles.

“Superior hardware” hardly matters even now. What is anyone really doing with it? The only way to even show it off is with a 2560×1600, or even higher, resolution, but TVs are going to stay stuck at 1080p.

When the next round of consoles shows up and closes the gap…game over for PCs.

• l33t-g4m3r

l[

• clone

PC’s will never die off, PC’s will become “consolified”.

consider the variety of platform options available 13 years ago, 3dfx, Nvidia, ATI, Matrox, Kyro, Intel, Cyrix, AMD, Intel, Via, SiS, and last and notably least Bitboys… hehe.

anyway now stand 3, Intel, AMD and Nvidia, the rest are dead and buried or on life support.

Intel and AMD are so close to building consoles now the difference is negligible, Nvidia is the only odd man out living off Intel’s inability to accept that RRT won’t arrive soon enough to kill Nvidia before they diversify to remain the thorn in their side.

PC game sales are fantastic as are console game sales and all of the “competitors” are merging into one in the same entity at least as far as consumers are concerned, PC’s are moving into the living room as consoles are spreading their wings onto the web….. all one in the same.

this leaves only the interface to distinguish and here PC’s rule, their interface is vastly superior to consoles and they have the edge in versatility.

Sony and MS may want ppl to give up independence, Onearmedscissor you may think that ppl are going to walk away from versatility but it’s not going to happen, what will likely happen is MS will make Xbox more PC like and versatile leveraging their software while Sony will try to control the web leveraging it’s media.

Sony will lose if they try to restrict useage, MS will lose if they don’t try to make gen next Xbox more versatile and PC will thrive in that scenario which will extend the inevitable which is that consoles and PC’s will be indistinguishible in the end and they will all be living through the cloud.

• JustAnEngineer

q[<"Gamers" are very often pretty much kids... After collecting multiple $300+ consoles, the countless $50-100 accessories and online services, and THEN $60 games, you can bet people of that generation are going to torrent a PC game here and there.<]q A month or two in prison should help them get a better perspective on the value of a dollar.

• plasticplate

Wow, that better be a joke or u must be retarded. U r saying we r supposed to send kids to jail cause they pirated a game. I mean, u could not really think of any other punishment? I know pirating games is bad, especially if u have the money to buy them, but sending kids to jail? Truth be told i used to download some games when i was in school cause back the i didnt have the money to buy each and every game. If i liked the game,then i used to buy it ( Saving thru skimping out on food). Now that i have an actual job, i buy all my games. I’m pretty sure most people r like me and i dont think what i did was really wrong.

• JustAnEngineer

Thieves should go to jail. You’ve suggested that they aren’t financially able to make restitution for their crimes.

• plasticplate

So u r saying stealing a car is the same as stealing a shirt or a loaf of bread? Where r u from? Like i said, if kids commit those mistakes, there r other ways of punishing them rather than sending them to jail or juvie. Its just a frickin game. U might have some serious psychological issues dude.

• JustAnEngineer

Who said anything about cars. We’re talking about people who steal software. It’s just the same as breaking into the local Gamestop and stealing a retail copy of the game. If you then upload it to a torrent and 400 more people get it from you, it’s like stealing 400 copies and distributing them. At $50 each, that’s $20,000 worth of property that you’ve stolen.

Depending on where you live, theft of over $500 or $1000 is a felony, meaning that you’re looking at serious jail time.

• willyolio

yet another person who can’t understand the difference between physical objects and data…

we should also send kids who copy another student’s homework, because obviously the original student’s copy would disappear instantly it was copied.

• l33t-g4m3r

lol, exactly. Copy infringement /= physical theft, and often there is no proof the individual would have bought the game anyway.
            Your best bet is to just ignore it. id software has been lenient on pirates because that’s how they first because popular. People copying diskettes.
            As long as the person eventually buys a copy, there is nothing to get upset about. This is the entertainment industry, so you take what you get, and don’t complain like a bloody two year old.

• MadManOriginal

Unfortunately none of that makes copying ‘ok’…in your school was there no consequence if two kids turned in the exact same work?

• plasticplate

My problem was not with punishing the guys who copy software, but the way the dude says we should punish them. Sending kids to jail for downloading a game? And JustAnEngineer, we were talking about downloading a game, not cracking a game and putting it up online for other people to download. As for your example, stealing a box at GameStop means that the store actually lost the game disc, Copying software does not mean the source is erased…

• MadManOriginal

And that’s why I think a moderate, relative to the rediculous RIAA fines, but still somewhat painful and more-than-regular-price fine of say $100 is a good idea. No insane multi-million dollar awards for tens of songs (or games) and something that people might actually pay to make go away rather than fight, but enough to make them think twice about piracy. Well, probably not but whatever, it’s a step in the right direction.

And while pirating may not ‘deprive someone of their property’ that still doesn’t make it ok. To download a game someone must have uploaded it, posessing illegitimate goods is not legal and in this case people 100% know it’s not legit. People just use the word ‘steal’ because writing out ‘copyright infringement’ every time gets old :p

• plasticplate

Completely agree with the 100$ fine idea. Like u said, its enough to make people think twice about pirating the game while not being ridiculous enough to bankrupt them. Like i’ve said before, i agree with punishing people for downloading pirated stuff, but sending them to prison over it, IMHO, is retarded.

• sweatshopking

I’m not convinced. Copyright sucks. at least, the current implementation of it. I’m not convinced people should be allowed to be charged anything.

• plasticplate

Charged nothing for the game? I would think the game developers have live too :P…. Either ways, i think the games are priced way more than they should be in the first place (Should be in the 20-30$ range instead of 60 bucks) and like u said the copyright system is completely broken..

• sweatshopking

nooo charged as in, by the fuzz. I don’t think it necessarily constitutes a crime. Like getting an ebook from the library, (which they’re trying to prevent…), there is no actual shortage of goods. nothing is ACTUALLY being lost. you can’t sue somebody for POSSIBLY harassing you. or MAYBE assaulting you. Yet, POSSIBLE loss of sales, can get your ass in trouble. it makes no sense to me.

• NeelyCam

Library EBook is a disaster, and should be banned unless a good DRM system is in place.. Easy to copy, so it’ll spread anywhere, diverting from the revenue stream the author expects and deserves. Copying physical books is too difficult, so nobody does it – limits the copyright infringement.

• MadManOriginal

What’s funny about that is ‘big title’ games are one thing that has stubbornly resisted inflation. 20 years ago top tier games were ~$50 and they now cost….around $50. If they tracked inflation (assuming 3% annual inflation) they’d cost around $90. Games are pretty damn cheap as far as entertainment goes.

• JustAnEngineer

So you think that you should be able to walk into your local GameStop and steal anything off the shelf that you like without any charges?

• sweatshopking

I think gamestop has a purpose, and that it is a separate thing entirely. I can go to the library, or i can go to chapters. they’re different.

• clone

music industry tried it already, the result is epic failure, they pushed the masses in protest to become pirates out of hate for the industry.

you don’t force ppl to be nice, you motivate them by making it easier to be nice.

• MadManOriginal

People use the ‘protest the **AA’ as an excuse. People pirate stuff because they want crap for free and they can get away with it, there’s nothing more to it than that.

• albundy

agreed! but wall street would be a ghost town, including political leaders.

• l33t-g4m3r

True. I feel the same way. Big fan of id games. IMO they pioneered drm-free, linux support, open source engines, and didn’t even hype it up.
      Stardock is 2nd on my list. I think they are responsible for singlehandedly reviving pc gaming, or at least the concept of pc gaming and what it should be.
      CD Projekt’s got a way to go before they reach the level of respect I have for those guys, especially with them pricegouging, but I still support them. Good games, mostly good people, albeit a little eccentric at times.

• sweatshopking

I agree, both those companies are great. I LOVE the linux support. That’s why s2 gets my dough, rather than LOL.

• tejas84

@flip-mode

I see you are a freeloading pirate hacker! I doubt you are going to buy the Witcher 2. Let’s face it. You are going to pirate it to hell and back eh?

Now I know why you love AMD so much!

• NeelyCam

Yes. People who buy AMD – cheap crappy hardware – also tend to download pirated (=cheap) software. Those who buy Intel tend to be law-abiding citizens and pay for their software.

But somehow, in AMD fanboi land this is all twisted. Apparently laws don’t apply to them, and if god forbid some company tries to sue them for downloading pirate software, they’ll cry foul, whine how corrupt companies are, and launch DoS attacks against the company’s websites.

Just totally unacceptable. Throw them all in jail.

• Duck

Don’t be such a tool. Maybe I will download Witcher 2 to demo it, decide I don’t like it and delete it an hour later. Suppose then I get sued. WTF how is that right?

• MadManOriginal

If there’s a demo try it, if not wait until it drops in price. Copyright infringement is binary, you can’t copyright infringe ‘a little’ for a given item.

• Duck

In Europe you get sued by an amount that reflects the damages caused. Download, play for and hour, delete, should result in no harm done and no loss of earnings for them. If the game isn’t available to download then I wouldn’t even try it. The fact that they multiply the number of torrent downloads but the cost of the game and come up with a number for loss of earnings due to piracy is moronic. What evidence is there that piracy causes damage to the music/film industry? One study showed no damage, only a small improvement. Damage to the game industry is probable. But that’s in specific cases like Spore. That’s nothing to do with not wanting to pay, there are bigger issues.

• sweatshopking

if they had demos for every game, I bet piracy would drop off.

• NeelyCam

If the penalty isn’t way oversized compared to the actual damage of one incident, it won’t be a sufficient deterrent. It’s way too difficult to catch every violation, and if the penalty was $300 for downloading a pirated $30 game but getting caught would happen to only 0.001%, everybody would be doing it.

To make the /[

• Jigar

This is going to be an expensive affair…

• khands

Agreed, hopefully they got a kickass deal with whichever prosecuting firm they went with.

• Jigar