Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day Shortbread

Eight is Enough

1. Fortune: Mac shipments outpace market 3 to 1
  2. X-bit labs share rumors: A rival could acquire Seagate technology

and more private investors lose interest in Seagate

3. AMD’s Meet The Expert webcast starts on December 8th (live stream)
  4. SemiAccurate: AMD’s Llano has a breakthrough
  5. Fudzilla: AMD’s Bulldozer hints at 3.5GHz 8MB L3 and Turbo 2.0

and Intel’s Core i7-990X 6-core comes in Q1 2011

6. TC Magazine: AMD 9-series chipsets come in Q2 2011 to welcome Bulldozer
  7. AMD: Radeon HD 5970 still king of the market (in Turkish)
  8. Fudzilla: GeForce GT 550 and 530 coming in Q1 2011

Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day

1. C|Net: SAP owes Oracle $1.3 billion
  2. TechFlash: Myhrvold’s Intellectual Ventures arms HTC with big patent trove
  3. Engadget: Dell tweaks its logo just subtly enough for nobody to notice
  4. Ars Technica: Understanding the Internet’s insecure routing infrastructure
  5. FCC boss: Net neutrality “will happen“… someday… really
  6. Download Squad: Upstart Facebook challenger

Diaspora now sending out private alpha invites

7. TUAW: Steve Jobs action figure no longer available

6. VR-Zone: Super Talent USB 3.0 RAIDDrive

reaches transfer rates of over 370MB/sec

7. TC Magazine: Samsung praising the protection level,

performance of its self-encrypting SSDs

8. DSLReports: Verizon testing new broadband phone device
  9. LCD monitor panel prices rise in 2H November, TV

panel prices continue to drop, says DisplaySearch

10. C|Net: WD TV network players get keyboard support, more features
  11. VR-Zone: Noctua introduces NH-C14 dual 140mm fan CPU cooler
  12. Popular Science’s Best of What’s New 2010
  13. Dealzon’s deals: 20% off coupon for 15.6″ ThinkPad W510, $71 off iDesign

wafer iPod stereo, $225 off 18.4″ Toshiba P500-BT2N23, and $65 off coupon

for Logitech G35 headset

Mobile

1. Fudzilla reports iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken
  2. TUAW’s hands-on: AirPlay for audio streaming in depth
  3. DailyTech cites report: AT&T delivers nation’s fastest mobile broadband network
  4. DSLReports: T-Mobile HSPA+ hits 8 new markets
  5. Ars Technica: Unlimited data means more to smartphone users than savings
  6. NPR – Wipeout: When your company kills your iPhone
  7. DigiTimes: Global non-iPad tablet PC shipments forecast at 20 – 30 million in 2011
  8. Ars Technica: Acer jumping into Android tablet market with three models
  9. TC Magazine: Dell U.S. offering unlocked Streak, to ship it in December
  10. Engadget: Acer reveals 4.8″ Android smartphone with 1024 x 480 screen resolution
  11. TC Magazine: HTC Knight 4G smartphone detailed some more
  12. Engadget: Is this the Motorola Olympus Tegra 2 smartphone?
  13. TC Magazine: Skyfire mobile browser goes cuckoo for Facebook with version 3.0
  14. BGR: RIM addresses removal of Kik app from BlackBerry App World
  15. Engadget: Sony Reader app hitting iPhone and Android devices in December
  16. TUAW: Christmas Angry Birds bring inevitable addiction to the App Store
  17. Engadget: Asus Eee Note is the surprisingly sensible new name for the Eee Tablet
  18. TC Magazine: Asus lists Eee Note EA800 digital notepad / e-reader on its website

Software

1. InformationWeek: Alureon malware bites Windows 7
  2. Do you really need antivirus software?
  3. The Register: Jumpin’ Meerkats! Ubuntu moving to daily downloads?
  4. Opera 11 beta with tab stacking
  5. Microsoft delivers beta update for Internet Explorer 9
  6. Testers riled by Microsoft decision to pull Drive Extender

storage from ‘Vail,’ ‘Aurora’ servers

7. SuperSite’s hands-on with Office 365
  8. Download Squad: Acer to launch app store, will pre-load on PCs
  9. Network World: HTTPS Everywhere gets Firefox “Firesheep” protection
  10. Yahoo! News: Mozilla confirms an app store is on the way
  11. Badblocks Linux | How to check disks for bad blocks
  12. HowtoForge: Virtualization with KVM on Ubuntu 10.10
  13. Phoronix: Intel Windows vs. Linux GPU performance – Q4 2010
  14. System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista and Vista x64-based systems
  15. Sysinternals suite – November 23, 2010
  16. CrystalDiskInfo 3.9.3a
  17. Windows 7 Tweaker 3.0 RC (Beta)
  18. Drm-Removal 4.1.2

Gaming

1. MCV: Premium CoD multiplayer resurfaces
  2. Activision: ‘We will never, ever charge‘ for Call of Duty multiplayer
  3. EFF: Microsoft embraces first wave of Kinect innovation
  4. Engadget: Nintendo returning to CES after a 16-year absence
  5. Fudzilla: Nintendo DSi to get green & orange in U.S.
  6. Sony: Over 50 PS3 games being built in 3D
  7. Big Download: Stargate Resistance multiplayer servers to shut down January 15
  8. Kotaku cites report: Elder Scrolls V is a direct sequel to Oblivion
  9. TUAW: Field of Glory, Civ V out for OS X
  10. Shacknews: World of Warcraft patch 4.03a shatters Azeroth
  11. Multiplayer update 3 for Bad Company 2—PS3 last night, other formats to follow
  12. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light update released on Steam
  13. Shacknews: Operation Flashpoint: Red River trailer sets the stage
  14. Shacknews has Operation Flashpoint: Red River preview
  15. TR alum Joel Hruska previews Blizzard’s coming Cataclysm
  16. YouGamers: Preparing for the Cataclysm

Systems

1. Engadget’s Acer Iconia and Android tablets hands-ons
  2. HotHardware: Is the “Apple Tax” real? Mac vs. PC value analysis
  3. TR alum Dustin Sklavos reviews the Clevo B5130M:

GeForce GT 425M with a 15.6″ 1080p chaser

4. [H]ard|OCP reviews Asus Rampage III Formula
  5. ocinside reviews ASRock 890FX Deluxe4
  6. lab501: Guide for activating SLI on AMD 890FX platforms (in Romanian)

Multimedia, cases, and cooling

1. techPowerUp! reviews Gainward GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB
  2. BCCHardware reviews Samsung MD230X3 Eyefinity 3×1 display
  3. X-bit labs on high definition 3D: 120Hz monitors from Acer and LG
  4. C|Net talks monitor tech: LED backlighting
  5. AnandTech reviews the Boxee Box and

Micca Slim-HD: 1080p in your pocket

6. TweakTown reviews Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium HD sound card
  7. Guru3D reviews NZXT Phantom case
  8. TechReaction reviews Thermaltake Armor A60 case
  9. PC Perspective reviews Lamptron FC6 fan controller
    • urbain

is jerking off considered a unique talent?

• Meadows

• TaBoVilla

I thought this was getting deleted, but if not.. well..

it’s not a talent unless you make extremely awkward sounds while at it. I, for instance, make beat box D&B rhythms and breaks =)

• Jigar

Nope, every tom dick and harry does that. Infact, it is as common as human being needs food.

• NeelyCam

l[

• FuturePastNow

Seagate, how the mighty have fallen.

• Deanjo

l[

• UberGerbil

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see AMD “pumping” anything. The linked story is quoting “leaked” info not AMD PR; the slides are from AMDZone.com, not from AMD. And even at that, I don’t see anywhere there’s a claim that the IOMMU is “new”: it is listed as a feature of some of the chipsets, but not for others, presumably because some of the chipsets include it and some of them don’t. Right next to “IOMMU” is “PCIe 2.0” and “HT3” — neither of which is claimed to be “new” either. AMD appears to be doing exactly what Intel is doing with their equivalent VT-d tech; using it (among other things) to differentiate some chipsets from others.

• thermistor

Per the celebrate your unique talent day, the talent I’ve always wanted was to be able to tie a knot in a cherry stem with my tongue…well, it would be OK for me, but I’d rather find a woman with that exact unique talent. Here’s to hoping.

• anotherengineer

“Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day Shortbread”

I suppose picking ones nose does not count??

“II.C|Net: Rare Apple computer sells for $210,700”

I think if I had that kind of money to burn I would have just donated it to the Children’s Wish foundation or cancer foundation, but I guess thats just me.

ยง[<http://www.childrenswish.ca/en-on/home<]ยง

• sweatshopking

You should donate it to the “Get josh a new monitor” foundation. I hear that they’re WAY behind on donations.

• plasticplate

BTW SSK, do u have a steam account? If so whats ur ID? Do u play UT3 or BC2?

• anotherengineer

What’s all ur steam accounts, I need more people to knife on CSS ๐Ÿ˜€

• plasticplate

Do u play any of the games i mentioned above? or the crappy Black Ops which i’m about to buy because of the lack of players in other games? Anyways, my steam ID is ‘BonerX’. No jokes on the ID tho, i’m really serious about it,i’ll hunt ya and frag ya ๐Ÿ˜›

• sweatshopking

dude. don’t. get l4d2, or Heroes of newerth. If you’re man enough to handle hon, you get +2 respect points. it’s ultra competitive. I loved ut3, but I had to sell it. I needed the dough. I really only have a few games on steam. I do have an alt account with a few more, “aramow”. it’s actually my bros, but he doesn’t use it much. I’ll add you plastic, AE, what’s your steam?

As for the wife getting out to work, not likely. she’s a full time student, and she watches the kids whilst I work. She doesn’t have any spare time, or else I would!

• plasticplate

nuff said, if u played ut3 before, u might be getting a present soon :). I love ut3 more than any other game, but the game is so competetive that not many players can handle it. I shall get the games u recommended tho. Shall add ur steam id when i get home

• Meadows

UT3 is crap because it handles like crap and looks like crap. Overall I’ve heard people say that it’s worse than the first UT it tried to re-enact, and my own opinion is that UT2004 is still the best version.

Then again, my own opinion is also that Quake 3/Quake Live is better than any UT version.

• plasticplate

Have u ever played UT3? UT3 is pretty good and lot of really good players from 2K4 migrated and liked it a lot. ‘Handles like crap’? U must be high dude. One thing UT3 does is handles pretty god. Graphics- u might like it or not- its objective. I respect ur opinion tho, but i think UT3 is good. BTW, if u play UT3 we can duel, lemme know

• Meadows

I don’t play UT3, I didn’t buy the game, because it’s bad. It handles bad like I said, and it hurts my eyes with its poor colour palette and bad graphics. Impossible to enjoy.

If you play Quake Live, on the other hand – ๐Ÿ˜‰

• sweatshopking

I have css on aramow, but i haven’t ever really played it.

• anotherengineer

CSS is life play it now!!

edit : the server I play on most of the time is
            ยง[<http://www.torontowtf.com/news.php<]ยง

• sweatshopking

I guess….? I’m going to suck at it. add me to your steam. also add aramow. we can play sometime. I’m pretty bad though. I’ll probably just upset you.

I obviously can’t play now, i’m at work, but maybe later tonight. I’ll have to see. I don’t know all the game details. just that you kill terrorists. and buy stuff. see if i’m on later tonight. I should let you know, I do have to get permission in order to play games. flip knows, I get called away a fair bit, and not going is not an option.

• anotherengineer

Nah, n00bs are fun to watch ๐Ÿ˜‰

• sweatshopking

i’ll get css you get HON
            on hon, i’m sweatshop. the king part was too long. clan is “Giant Balls”.

• sweatshopking

I can send you an invite for some free games, if you want to try it out. it’s pretty damn good, and super competitive. which i like. cause I like winning.

• anotherengineer

I like causing chaos

PARA RUSH MID!!!!!!!

• anotherengineer

I cant remember my steam account off hand, but my handle is usually cpt. insano ๐Ÿ˜‰

• anotherengineer

lolz

Giant Balls

is there an ABS clan in HON?

abs?

• anotherengineer

Abandoned by sanity??

• plasticplate

what kind of a game is HoN tho?

rts/rpgish kinda?

ยง[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6s5lIA2gUY<]ยง it's the balls

• sweatshopking

my steam account is: sweatshopking

I’m the only sweatshopking in the world, so google it. if it’s me, it’s me.

• plasticplate

Yes sir, will do. Do u play any UT3 at all? what games do u play?

see my above post in regards to ut3

• sweatshopking

man. whenever I search for a player on steamcommunity.com it always says no player found. I hate that search.

• plasticplate

Dude, cant even find ur account id to add, steam is showing none. Anyways my ID is ‘BonerX’. Try adding my ID

Actually its ‘B0nerX’… 0 instead of o ๐Ÿ™‚

• anotherengineer

That’s what your wife is for, tell her to work some OT ๐Ÿ˜‰

• plasticplate

Saving my 7 year old Inspiron 5000 in the hopes that some day some fool would pay 10-20 grand for that ๐Ÿ˜›

• ClickClick5

l[<"Fudzilla: AMD's Bulldozer hints at 3.5GHz 8MB L3 and Turbo 2.0"<]l All this talk makes me itchy for some hard facts. Get ready Scott... The slower L3 cache is a little disappointing. I was hoping AMD could do better. Nothing screams like 1:1. l[<"Kotaku cites report: Elder Scrolls V is a direct sequel to Oblivion"<]l And this almost made me wet myself. I'm not sure why but I LOVE the Elder Scroll series. Every one. And seeing this tibit of news is exciting! Maybe this will be the first game for my Bulldozer! EDIT: How nice is IE9? I have not tried the beta.

• mesyn191

L3 is most always big and slow. 1:1 performance compared to the L2 is a pipe dream. Otherwise they wouldn’t bother with a L3 and just make a bigger L2.

• OneArmedScissor

I’m pretty sure the L3 runs the same speed on Sandy Bridge, BUT I really doubt the turbo boost applies to that, so it’s not that much of a difference from 2.4 GHz.

As nifty as it sounds, I have to wonder if that’s really just Intel still trying to rely on clock speed for marketing, now that they’ve run turbo boost up to the ceiling again.

If the big, fancy version of Sandy Bridge is a few % faster than Bulldozer, people are going to say things like, “Zomg if Bulldozer’s L3 clock speed were X% faster like Intel they’d be even but AMD don’t know how!”

They’ll be built so differently that people will be digging for a dumbed down apples to apples comparison to latch on to and I can already see that being the easy scapegoat.

• sweatshopking

at this point, it’s not a matter of l3 cache. the entire architectures are completely different.

• plasticplate

Completely true, the architectures are completely different for both the processors and i think, from this point on, benchmark victories would be divided based on the architecture strengths. No more common classifications as to which processor is better than the other rather which processor is better than the other for a particular set of tasks. Also, isn’t the L3 cache always slower than the L2? I mean, did it ever run 1:1 on any architecture. I thought L2 is way more expensive than L3 to fabricate but ran much faster.

• mesyn191

It isn’t the clockspeed alone that is important, its the latency. L3 latency tends to be pretty high. 30-40 cycles or so IIRC for PhII’s. I think Intel’s L3 has lower latency but its still higher than the SB L2.

• khands

I kind of wish it had been its own game, much like the prior’s in the series, and not based off of Oblivion, but I’m excited for it nonetheless.

• sweatshopking

I personally found the oblivion plot to be kind lame. the whole demon gates thing was kind crappy. there was really a very poor explanation as to what you were supposed to do in there, at first, anyway, and it looked awful. I didn’t mind the rest of the world, but I hated all the demon parts. Once you tweaked the game with the male nude mod, it became a great way to annoy your friends, and upset your wife.

• plasticplate

Story wise nothing great in oblivion. Standard fare of the only one guy who could save the world from evil. Not really inspiring so to say. But the game environment itself was awesome and immersive. Inspite of the lame plot, I just coudnt stop playing the game for so long. Think i spent in excess of 75 hours playing it. Something to do with the game visuals. I’m excited abt the next part.

• yogibbear

Oblivion was the WORST TES game ever. Period. If it is a continuation of that game i will hit my head against a brick wall until the dev kit is released and the modding community makes the game worth playing again. Vanilla Oblivion = 6/10, Modded Oblivion = 9/10.

• sweatshopking

It really was the mods that made it good.

• indeego

Does modded Oblivion change having to do stuff for NPC’s? I dunno, after the nth assigned task, I wanted to kill everyone FPS styleg{<.<}g

• plasticplate

You want the WORSTEST game ever, try Bionic Commando or some such sh1t. Don’t even know how they could make that cr4p.

• The Dark One

He said worst TES game. As in Elder Scrolls game.

• sweatshopking

I kinda enjoyed the new one. cause it LET YOU SWING AROUND. yah, everything else sucked, and the swinging mostly did too. levels were too small.

ARRHRRHRRRGGGGHGHGH DAMN POST RATE LIMITER!!!! 3RD TIME TODAY!!!

• plasticplate

IE9 beta is ok, not bad at all. Not better than the competing browsers either. Although i can feel the difference in speed while loading any page with flash or video embedded ( Where it loads much faster). Compared to previous versions of IE its light years ahead. Still sticking with chrome for the moment tho.

• sweatshopking

try the new opera beta. it’s the balls. best browser, easily. chrome sucks. it’s too ugly.

• plasticplate

Chrome doesnt really render websites properly either. but its really fast at rendering the sites tho, only reason i use it. I use opera too. In fact i use 5 browsers. Just like using different browsers ๐Ÿ™‚

• TaBoVilla

why can’t anyone just suddenly owe me like.. 2.5 million bucks or something, geesh! what do I have to do?

• sweatshopking

AGAIN! You’re on a roll today! as for what you have to do… I think we can work something out….

HORSE KILLER!

• plasticplate

I KNOW something u could do, but i cant say it here and i don’t think u would be capable either ๐Ÿ˜›