Deal of the week: Canadian edition

Just because folks up here celebrate Thanksgiving a few weeks early doesn’t mean they can’t reap the spoils of Black Friday like their American friends. NCIX’s Black Friday sale, which kicked off late yesterday, is pretty good evidence of that. Several of the many featured deals caught my eye:

• Intel’s 40GB X25-V solid-state drive is on sale for $89.99 CAD, or $69.99 CAD after a mail-in rebate. 40 gigabytes might not be a lot of capacity, but I can think of plenty of uses for a cheap, low-end SSD. Maybe it’s time to give that ultraportable notebook a little extra horsepower, eh?
  • Corsair’s Graphite Series 600T enclosure can be had for $149.99 CAD, or $139.99 CAD after a mail-in rebate. Remember this is a TR Editor’s Choice winner, and NCIX says it normally costs $170 CAD. I set up my own desktop PC inside this bad boy a few days ago, so I heartily recommend it.
  • Corsair’s Obsidian Series 800D enclosure is $229.99 CAD, or $199.99 CAD after a mail-in rebate, down from the usual $309.99 CAD. Here we have a TR Recommended award winner that would be equally deserving of praise if it weren’t usually so expensive—but the discount helps quite a bit.
  • MSI’s GeForce GTX 460 Hawk graphics card (780MHz core clock): $199.99 CAD, or $189.99 CAD after rebate. With the Radeon HD 6850 selling a ways above its suggested e-tail price, GTX 460 cards are ripe for the picking… especially higher-clocked variants like this one.
  • Logitech’s MX518 gaming mouse: $46.99 CAD, down from $62.46 CAD. I don’t think I need to introduce the Logitech MX518. If you like wired gaming mice, this is an undeniable classic.
  • OCZ’s 4GB DDR3-1333 Gold memory kit: $49.99 CAD. Cheap memory never hurts, especially when it’s from a reputable manufacturer and comes with shiny heat spreaders.

NCIX’s sale will continue through December 1. A number of items are already out of stock, though, so I wouldn’t spend too long making up your mind.

• cegras

Surprisingly, no good gfx card deals.

• internetsandman

Anyone who subscribes to Linus on youtube already knows this 😛

• TaBoVilla

in communist canada, hardware buys you!

• dpaus

What’s that? I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you over my free health care, at-par dollar, lower unemployment, higher PCI, stable banking system, higher index rating, lower crime rate, etc., etc…

• anotherengineer

lolz Well it’s not free, it comes from our tax dollars, the states just likes to dump all its tax monies into it’s military. A bit too much considering the Mexicans are too lazy to invade and us in the north prefer this side of the border anyway lol.

Canada does have its problems though, the public sector is WELL paid with fat gold plated pensions, security and benfits that the majority of the private sector workers can only dream about.

• dpaus

Of course we’d never claim to be perfect – it’d be so un-Canadian (and just imagine how much we’d have to apologize for it!)

• anotherengineer

I know eh 😉

Well almost done work, time to go out and aboot.

• Sargent Duck

And drink beer. Real beer.

• glacius555

Apologies, I happen to live in Europe, could you say that louder please, did not catch it clearly? 😛

• Sargent Duck

: )

• BoBzeBuilder

Thank’s for the Canadian version Cyril. I think I’ll pick that SSD up. Ubuntu should fit in there with room to spare.

• UberGerbil

Do Canadians celebrate it early, or do USians celebrate it late?

Anyway, the big stand-in-line-for-the-stores-to-open shopping event is Boxing Day, which is still over a month away.

• swampfox

We all celebrate it on time – they’re just farther north. (You could argue, I suppose, that the northern states might be a little late, since we usually have snow by Thanksgiving, which means harvest is long gone!)

• axeman

Ah! I never thought of that. We have 15 inches of snow, so yes, it’s past harvest time 🙁

• anotherengineer

We only have about 4 inches of snow up here in Timmins, although the snowbanks are about a foot high now though

• Sargent Duck

Ottawa just got some snow last night. Not enough to cover the grass though, I can still see green.

• henfactor

Don’t you mean 10.2 cm? 😉

• Sargent Duck

We have our own measurement system up here, a hybrid of the two.

temperature: Celsius

very small length: millimeters
            small length: inches
            medium length: feet/yards
            big length: kilometers

weight: pounds

small quantity of liquid: liters
            big quantity of liquid: gallons
            paint: quarts/gallon

Ask any Canadian what they weigh/how tall and you’ll get “160lbs, 5’10”. Ask ’em how far from Ottawa to the border and the response is “’bout 100km’s”. That’s a 2 Liter carton of milk but there’s a quart of paint. We take the best of both! (Although I’d prefer to use the Kelvin scale for temperature personally)

• anotherengineer

Ya I am well versed in both systems also, people who are good at metric I use imperial and vice versa, I guess I just like to make people think.

Weights and measures for people, well cm and kg are actually quite popular, although kg is mass and newtons are a measure of weight, but that’s another story 😀

• Sargent Duck

We celebrate it in October.

Cyril, I just want to say, and I’m pretty sure the other Canadians on this board will chime in, thank you. It’s nice to see a little love for Canada on the front page!

• PetMiceRnice

I live in Canada and like the idea of having Thanksgiving in October because I think having it a month before Christmas is having the two holidays a bit too close together.