NVS 300 offers multi-display workstation goodness for $149

And now, some news from the highly exciting world of professional graphics cards. Nvidia says its new NVS 300 GPU should now be available in pre-built workstations and as a discrete solution from PNY. This innocuous-looking low-profile card costs only $149, has a thermal envelope just shy of 18W, can be stacked to drive as many as eight displays, and supports Nvidia’s Nview desktop management software.

To aid with the whole stacking thing, the NVS 300 is offered in both PCI Express x16 and PCI Express x1 variants. Also, that lone connector on the card is actually a DMS59 port, which can fork out into dual DisplayPort, dual DVI-I, or dual VGA ports depending on the adapter used. A word of warning if you use the DVI-I adapter, however: only resolutions up to 1920×1200 are supported. You’ll need the DisplayPort adapter to go up to 2560×1600.

If you were hoping for oodles of graphics horsepower, prepare to be disappointed—Nvidia only squeezes in 16 stream processors and 512MB of DDR3 RAM pushing bits through a measly 64-bit memory interface. This is a DirectX 10.1 part, too, so it’s not based on the new Fermi architecture. I suppose getting away with passive cooling in that kind of form factor requires some compromises.

In any case, Nvidia expects the NVS 300 to come in handy for “mission-critical applications ranging from command and control centers, to securities trading floors, to digital signage installations.”

• slaimus

Why is there such a “tax” on PCI-E x1 cards? This is no different than a normal G210 card with a DMS connector, but it just has a 1x slot instead of a 16x slot.

This was a pain when I was trying to find a 1x card for my headless WHS box to have video for debugging. All of the x1 cards cost over $100, even ones based on $20 x16 card chipsets.

• swaaye

Just get yourself a 50c PCI card.

• OneArmedScissor

The “tax” here is for the Quadro drivers.

• ClickClick5

l[< "mission-critical applications ranging from command and control centers, to securities trading floors, to digital signage installations."<]l Mmmm, we use Matrox cards here. Those babies are the text book definition of "mission-critical". EDIT: Memory aside, here is 9.5 watts. §[<http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/p_series/p690lppciex1/<]§

• StashTheVampede

I’d love to have another Matrox card, again. My Matrox Millennium is still in use on some server and it still works great!

• The Dark One

Man, I had one of those in my 200Mhz Pentium box. I ended up ditching it for some crappy ATI Rage derivative in order to play Half-Life at a resolution higher than 320×240. 🙁

• BiffStroganoffsky

All my Matrox cards have gone past critical and flat-lined.

• indeego

We’ve had the NVS280 versions of these for a while. No issues, better than ATI/Intel’s counterparts, at least from a driver perspectiveg{<.<}g

• dpaus

Sorry, but I think a system would be better off with single-slot 5770s driving three monitors per slot for about the same price, or dual-slot 5850s driving 6 monitors for as little as $250 – especially since either comes with the excellent Eyefinity software that makes using multi-monitor displays a breeze.

• StuG

Looks awesome for professionals that need alot of workspace without alot of umph.