90GB, 180GB drives make their way into Corsair Force lineup

Corsair’s Force line of solid-state drives just keeps growing. After this Spring’s expansion, another two drives featuring 90GB and 180GB capacities have been added. Corsair says the Force F90 and F180 should be "available immediately from [its] worldwide network of authorized distributors and resellers" at prices of $189.99 and $399.99, respectively.

Like their older brethren, these new Force drives have 2.5" form factors, Serial ATA connectivity, and SandForce SF-1200 controllers with TRIM support. Corsair quotes a top read speed of 285MB/s and a top write speed of 275MB/s for both offerings. Those numbers should look familiar to folks acquainted with other SandForce-based solutions.

While navigating crowded product lineups isn’t always fun, I think there’s something to be said for more granularity in solid-state drive lineups, especially for penny-pinchers looking to get the most gigabytes for their buck. After all, just because someone can’t afford a 120GB drive doesn’t mean they should have to settle for the 60GB variant.

• marvelous

Getting closer but I still a little bit bigger say 320gb to be used as my main drive and drop some prices.

• Farting Bob

So why are the 180GB drives more than double the price of the 90GB ones?

• UberGerbil

For the same reason the highest bins of processors cost disproportionately more: the people who are willing to buy at the bleeding edge margins of the biggest/fastest/whatever-est tend to be less price-sensitive, and manufacturers take advantage of that to pad their margins.

(The consumers generally justify this because they’re using the products for something valuable enough that a few hundred dollars quickly pays for itself ; to some extent there’s also a Veblen Good effect, though not of the components themselves but of the high-end “executive” mobile products they go into, like the MacBook Air.)

• paulWTAMU

But then why not just slap in 2 90 gig ones (which I’d love to do if funding permitted).

• haugland

Because a RAID setup will not work with TRIM, and it is a hassle to manually distribute your files on two drives. I would rather pay the extra $20 than manage my files on two separate drives.

• indeego

Intel has supported TRIM over RAID for 9 months now, and a RAID0’d drive without TRIM will likely outperform a single dedicated drive with TRIM, [depending on usage patternsg{<.<}g]

• Farting Bob

Id accept that if SSD’s were still new, or that these are super high end. They are not though, they are middle of the road capacity/price. It would be like having 2x 500GB HDD’s costing less than 1x 1TB drive of the same family.

• OneArmedScissor

I’m getting the idea that this is done to bend over people who choose SSDs as an “upgrade option” for OEM laptops. If you will notice, most of them don’t offer something like a 64GB drive, probably because they’d think they look insane to sell that as a more expensive option than the typical 250GB drive, but a SSD may come close to that.

In a desktop, you don’t need one drive to hold everything, but in a laptop, you often don’t have a choice.

• 5150

Yawn, wake me when I can get a 1TB SSD for $100.

• Yawn

You were already on my to-do list.

• Jigar

ROFL, thanks for making my day. 😉

• ImSpartacus

Well I guess this story certainly shouldn’t have woken you up.

Maybe you should just skip SSD stories for a year or two?

• Jigar

You mean 5 years ?

• paulWTAMU

wake me when the wake me meme is dead.

• Yawn

Can’t happen soon enough. I need to get some sleep.

• 5150

Snore, Yawn can go to bed.

• Yawn!

But I’m not tired. I just had some coke and I’m kinda jittery!

• Trymor

Caffeine will do that to ya…

• marvelous

Fish scale? lol.

• green

don’t you people realise it yet?
        people saying this want to be euthanized

think about it…

“wake me when I can get X for Y”

this comes up is because mechanical storage has a better $/gb ratio
        at some point in the future ssd’s will hit the same $/gb ratio
        at that point though, mechanical drives would have a lower $/gb ratio
        at that time, these people will adjust there view to be:

“wake me when I can get kX for Y”

this keeps going on and on so that the target will never be reached
        they only want to be woken when the target is reached
        which i the whole point… they don’t want to be woken up… ever!
        because they want to be permanently put to sleep

… can’t you hear these people’s cry for help?!?!?!

on a serious note though, these people won’t ever buy an ssd
        it’s the same kind of people that thought raptor’s weren’t worth it when they came out
        it resulted in a more responsive computer, but the $/gb wasn’t good enough for them
        (that or some people can’t fathom running more than 1 drive in their computer)

• Trymor

I guess there are more than just the blue pill, and the red pill.

• TaBoVilla

still pondering the benefits of getting an SSD

• OneArmedScissor

Buy a small and cheap one, put your OS and primary applications on it, and keep your HDD as is.

People throw $300 at CPUs with largely intangible benefits. There have been 64GB SSDs going below $100 lately. I can’t think of anything else that gives you as much bang for your buck.

• tay

Seriously best upgrade ever. Do what onearmedscissor said.

• StashTheVampede

Having an SSD as your primary storage is stopping the “wait” that happens when you open a new application, start a new application and (in many ways) browse the internet (so many temp files being accessed).

You may not “feel” wait with a ton of ram, fast cpu, etc. Just slide in an SSD as your primary OS/swap/temp drive and you’d be very surprised as to how much wait you had before.

• Trymor

I actually have a ’32 gig’ SSD hosting both a 20 GB Win7 and a 10 GB Linux /. Works great.