ASRock overclocks mouse port for Fatal1ty-branded Sandy Bridge mobo

Professional gaming is big business. There is perhaps no better example of this than Jonathan “Fatal1ty” Wendel, who once sparred with our own Scott Wasson and now seems to make a living putting his name on products purportedly optimized for gamers. Wendel endorses pre-built gaming PCs, sound cards, graphics cards, headsets, PSUs, and memory. Yes, no fewer than four different OCZ memory kits bear the Fatal1ty name. Amusingly, only one of them uses DDR3 modules, and they top out at a pedestrian 1333MHz.

Don’t go thinking Wendel isn’t keeping up with the times, though. TechConnect has learned that Fatal1ty branding will grace a new motherboard from ASRock. Based on Intel’s upcoming P67 chipset, the Fatal1ty P67 Professional is slated to cost $250 and come with a UEFI BIOS, six USB 3.0 ports, and support for three-way CrossFireX and SLI configs. Fatal1ty even gets his own USB port: an extra special one that can be “overclocked” to his preferred 500Hz sampling rate. Wendel promises we’ll be impressed by this feature, which he says improves accuracy and makes it feel like you’re getting a higher frame rate.

The Fatal1ty-branded motherboards we reviewed when Abit was cranking ’em out were actually pretty good, but then so were most of the company’s mobos at the time. I suspect the prospects for this latest model will have more to do with what ASRock brings to the table than any Fatal1ty-specific features. $250 is going to be quite expensive for a Sandy bridge mobo, and that’s a heck of a premium to pay for a bunch of red LEDs and a fancy mouse port whose benefits may only be realized by those with superhuman reflexes.

• d0g_p00p

Let’s see how many people will complain and moan about a successful pro gamer having his name on computer hardware. Nevermind that he most likely makes more money each year compared to the whiners and has a fun time doing it.

• jcw122

Fatal1ty is a joke.

• pedro

Wake me up when he overclocks my alarm clock.

• ronch

Ok, I’ll overclock your alarm clock 5 minutes earlier.

• Meadows

Insane! More time left every morning!

• internetsandman

He’s a corporate whore, nothing more, in my opinion. The only thing so far that’s been branded by him that I liked was the Zalman Z-Machine, and even that had problems; it was too expensive and had more logos on it than a NASCAR cup car, and was exorbitantly expensive. I’m pretty sure to most enthusiasts out there, a Fatal1ty sticker is like geek-repellant.

• RhysAndrews

I have nothing against Fatal1ty for this.. I’d happily accept big bucks to put my name on sub-decent hardware.

• Bensam123

“Fatal1ty even gets his own USB port: an extra special one that can be “overclocked” to his preferred 500Hz sampling rate.”

So, how is this different from mice that let you change the sample rate of USB ports up to 1000Hz?

• Firestarter

Good question. Another one is how this will benefit us when almost any monitor you can buy tops out at 60hz. What good is tracking your mouse movement 1000 times a second if you can only get feedback on it 60 times a second? That’s like a minimum of 13ms of built-in lag right there, not counting the time it took to process the mouse input and output a frame.

• Palek

I’m not a game engine programmer so I don’t know how games typically handle mouse input, but I imagine input handling is not tied to rendering, but instead to the routine that calculates the position of various objects in the game. Even if the screen is only re-drawn 60 times a second it is still possible implement more fine-grained object positioning underneath.

• djgandy

Input and output are two separate things. I haven’t looked at any very recent game engines, but a game will typically take a mouse position for a frame, If you have a low frame rate you have a smaller amount of samples per second and also a longer latency between samples.

The amount of useful mouse input for a game is basically tied to what you can see, and that is determined by the frame rate. Older engines used to have input checking loops in the same thread and loop as the main rendering engine.

You basically had a loop like this.

loop:
          get_input_events();
          render_frame();

So to reiterate what I said. You could throw as many mouse samples into the game as you liked. If you were only rendering at 50FPS that would have been your sample rate.

• Bensam123

If everything updated at the same speed in real life it would be ridiculously jerky.

I don’t believe input lag is based on the lowest common denominator, rather it is additive, so the more lag added to the system over all, the more noticeable it is – at least in my opinion. Something I wish Tech sites would dig into more (like TR).

1000hz mice definitely feel more responsive then a 100hz one, but if you don’t believe me that is something you’ll have to try for yourself.

• Meadows

Simple, there are many “gaming” mice out there that go unstable and experience greatly increased sample jitter at the maximum of 1000 Hz – this usually happens with mice that are not rated for 1000 Hz, but may occur with 1000 Hz mice too.

500 Hz however works like a charm on virtually everything, even if the mouse was designed for the fool-proof, 8 ms latency, 125 Hz sample rate standard like the old Logitech MX518 for example. Thus 500 Hz is kind of the preferred frequency for everyone, as it cuts latency caused by the mouse to 2 ms as well as increasing precision with some sensors.

• voodootronix

Is it possible that when the game is showing frame rates of 200-300 fps the mouse sampling rate would be tied to this? In which case there would be more of a case for the high frequency mice…

• Meadows

If you have a game that runs at 250 fps, every second frame drawn gets no actual information from your mouse, and even if your game runs at 125 Hz or lower, higher mouse input rates improve sample interpolation. This can slightly affect many things such as the curve of a flick, the sensitivity of movements overall, and minute precision.

• PainIs4ThaWeak

We DO realize that polling rate is an aspect relative to the software driver “usbport.sys” and NOT the mouse /[

• neon

Was not AsRock created from Asus a few years ago as a value/bargain/el-cheapo brand?

Use of Fatal1ty premium super overclocking ultimate branding on a value motherboard would seem to dilute the premium-al1ty of the Fatal1ty brand.

• voodootronix

Totally. ASRock boards suck in my experience – no way if I was looking to drop $250 on a board it would be coming from ASRock. Flaky as anything as soon as you try to engage any of the overclocking features.

• clone

Asrock was the value brand.

I stopped buying Asrock 18 months after they appeared, the whole “budget idea” for motherboards is stupid when you can buy an MSI for $40.00 brand new and a Gigabyte with a 3 year wararnty and RDS tech for $50.00 off the shelf, with that kind of competition Asrock should be retailing for $50 at the highest, instead it’s struggled to niche itself to push a $100 and now apparently the $250 price point.

my experience with the company has been poor, I sold a lot of socket 462 741gx motherboards and a great many of those failed in less than 3 years, a few left out in the wild but the lost customer confidence hurts rep over time, most stayed a few left and bought HP and Dell and most of those that stayed no longer want anything Asrock.

most were swollen to blown caps… just junk motherboards.

sold a few socket 939’s before the end and while they were more reliable the features they purported to offer turned out to be stupidly priced when I went to take advantage of them, they offered a sock939 to AM2 board… but the add in card to go to AM2 was $60+!!!… building a new system trying to stretch out the life of an old motherboard by spending $60 when a new AM2 motherboard is widely available for $60 just doesn’t work.

stopped with them at that point, they’ve connected themselves to high end names and features but they’ll always be a budget company in my view, I don’t ever plan to pay big money for big features to Asrock when I can pay the same for the same and get a Gigabyte or a “real” Asus product.

• SomeOtherGeek

Ho! I get it now! $150 for the board and $100 for Wendel. Sounds about right.

• dpaus

The key word in your reply is the first one.

• thermistor

If the branding adds value, as in if the product is actually has some nice extra touches, is just a bit better than stock, why not?

As long as it’s not sub-standard fare being passed off as primo stuff.

#5…Unfortunately, marketing BS works real well on those who just can’t expend the energy to do their own research.

• albundy

last time the Fatal1ty douche advertised a creative card, the entire company almost went down! not that it was the fall of EAX…

• Farting Bob

Nice to see a UEFI board though, even if it does come with loads of extra stickers and overclocked USB ports that jack the price up.

• natiels

haha, thats why my OCZ power supply says Fatal1ty on it. I had no idea until i read this. It does seem pretty silly as I doubt its going to affect anybodies purchase decision.

• Waco

I have two of those laying around – a 400 watt and a 550 watt Fatal1ty PSU. They were on sale and I don’t have to see them when they are in use. 😛

• jalex3

tweaktown on youtube have a video of it and wendel and a guy that cant speak English /watch?v=cIBqs5WJyFc ….. i will not buy cuz its a gimmick. but it looks kinda nice

• jalex3

i take that back its ugly just noticed the chipset cooler

• Sargent Duck

I won’t be impressed till I see on-board sound overclocked.

Fear the Fatal1ty crab!

• AssBall

I want the 5.25″ floppy drive port overclocked.

On a side note I overclocked my abacus and I can do super-pi in like 13 years. Fatal1ty PWNED!!!

• ronch

I’m not gonna buy a piece of hardware just because this Fatal1ty guy is endorsing it. Like, who cares? If it’s good hardware, then the manufacturer doesn’t need to do lame branding like this to sell their stuff. Like, I doubt people really know this guy. And I’m sure they can come up with cooler names instead of borrowing this guy’s alias.

• indeego

All advertising/marketing is an insult to society’s intelligence, and a tax on every productg{<.<}g

• 5150

Thank you Bill Hicks, still waiting for you to make that awesome Coke ad you talked about.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Some proportion of advertising is bloody useful and/or informative, and it would be a very strange world without it.

• StuG

Fatal1ty Branding has always been a joke, let alone 90% of “gaming” specific hardware >:|

• 5150

Pretty dumb, eh SSK?

• OneArmedScissor

Yawn, wake me when your spam port is overclocked to 4 GHz.