Report: iPad 2 may launch as early as February

Thank goodness for those gossipers in Taiwan—without them, following industry news would be so much more boring. According to DigiTimes, "sources from Taiwan-based component makers" have revealed that Foxconn is gearing up to ship second-generation Apple iPads, and that the launch could take place "as soon as the end of February."

The site adds that Apple was originally aiming to kick off mass production in January, but holdups with the iPad 2’s firmware development caused the delay. In any case, Foxconn will reportedly have between 400,000 and 600,000 units ready for the launch. I can smell the long lines in front of Apple Stores already. (Now if only people could camp out without skipping their morning showers…)

If you were hoping for more information, you’ll have to wait until the next round of rumors. The details we found out last month paint a reasonably complete picture of the device, though—you know, provided there’s any truth to them. The iPad 2 is rumored to have a better screen, video calling capabilities, and a built-in gyroscope, among other features.

• provoko

It’s amazing how Apple is so immune to what other brands go through. I mean, 11 months after you release a product, you release another one, people start to lose their trust in you.

I guess we can expect lines for the iPad 2, and the iPad 3 in January 2012.

• pdjblum

Talking about taking it up the ass, these folks are already bending over.

• Walkintarget

My wife wants an Ipad for Christmas so I have been trying to convince her to wait until March to buy this instead.

And,no, I cannot talk her out of wanting it, but she in turn can’t dissuade me from building a new PC at the same time 😉

• sweatshopking

great! that way you both lose!

• pdjblum

Why does he lose for building a new pc?

• sweatshopking

cause they’re expensive, and short of a gpu upgrade, IMO, not that much faster than a 4 year old pc. My q6600 is still plenty fast, and the 6gbs of ram do the job just fine.

• pdjblum

sweatshopking, it depends on what he has in his present rig.

• sweatshopking

i suppose.

• pdjblum

I guess girls see the ipad as an accessory, like a fancy handbag. Tell her the new one will be even more couture than this soon to be outdated one.

• yogibbear

Can it pleasure me up the ass? If not… i’m not getting one.

• sweatshopking

what….? this comment is a little bit in poor taste… kinda surprised man, you should probably edit it….

• pdjblum

Think it is great, but remember I hate all things apple.

• provoko

Hahaha. No yogibbear, that would be the iProd.

• pdjblum

awesome. lol

• runithard

iRAPE sounds like a viable new branding.

• pdjblum

And the cult of jobs rejoice and genuflect to pictures of their great savior. Can’t ask, “Who the f*** cares?” because obviously the ever growing cult does more than I can know.

• sbarash

They got to get this thing out fast, the competition is coming. I haven’t been thrilled with mine – while they finally fixed the flaky wifi with the latest firmware update, printing still sucks, and being locked into Apple’s little world has just been too constricting for me…Really miss the IT tools like wifi analyzers, etc. available on Android.

• Anomymous Gerbil

In many countries, the norm is for night-time showers.

• Farting Bob

In many countries, people dont have daily, or even weekly showers. But then these people arent going to be waiting in line for Steve Jobs to tell them they want something.

• runithard

Those countries don’t count.

• Corrado

Not interested in the ‘upgrades’ other than the higher res screen. Don’t ever video chat, I have the camera kit with a USB port that works fine for when I need it, and the SD card slot for my camera. It won’t have a faster CPU, but will maybe have more RAM. I don’t really ‘Multi-Task’ on it anyways, so its no biggy for me.

• blastdoor

I find it hard to believe that the CPU will remain exactly the same. I would expect at least a higher maximum clock speed for the A4 — maybe a 20% boost?

Also, does Apple use embedded DRAM in the A4? If not, then doing so might be another way to boost speed.

• lilbuddhaman

I’ll just go ahead and say this will be more iPad 1.1 than 2.0

• blastdoor

400-600k sounds like pretty tight supply to me, unless they do a staggered launch (US first, etc).

I’m really wondering if they might keep the original iPad around at a discounted price just for the education market. I know they rarely do that sort of thing, but I could easily imagine that K-12 buyers might not want a camera on iPads that they buy for students. And if they did that, it would make the 400-600k launch number less constraining.

• Jigar

So any ideas about the specs of this thing ?

• sweatshopking

first post for you. and No. it’s apple. don’t worry though, it’ll have “magic 2.0”. it should be amazing.