Phenom II X6 1100T and friends debut

Although we published a review of the GeForce GTX 570 this morning, the majority of the activity in Damage Labs this past week has been concentrated on CPU testing, instead, in anticipation of today’s introduction of a trio of new processors from AMD. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to complete our review in time, largely because we’ve been in the midst of executing a complete refresh of our CPU test suite, with all-new results. Doing so is a tremendous amount of work, and it simply took us longer than anticipated. Anyhow, our review is forthcoming, but the brand-new CPUs are out now.

AMD’s new desktop flagship, the Phenom II X6 1100T, has a base clock speed of 3.3GHz and a Turbo Core peak of 3.7GHz, while holding max power draw (TDP) steady at 125 W. That’s a minor (100MHz) bump up from the X6 1090T, but it comes with a price reduction, too. The X6 1100T will go for only $265, while the 1090T drops to $235 and the 1075T to $199. That means the X6 1100T will briefly do battle with the Core i7-860, which lists for $284, before Sandy Bridge comes along in a few weeks and changes the math again.

Also today, AMD has freshened up its high-frequency dual-core offering in the form of the Phenom II X2 565 Black Edition. With a 3.4GHz core clock, a fully-enabled 6MB L3 cache, an 80 W TDP, and an unlocked upper multiplier, the X2 565 should be a very nice budget gaming CPU. At a price of $115, the X2 565 will have to contend with Intel’s Core i3-550, currently at $117 list. We have to admit, though, that we’d probably be more inclined to go for AMD’s value quad, the Athlon II X4 645 at 3.1GHz, for $112.

The final new addition to AMD’s stable is the Athlon II X3 455, which adds another 100MHz to the top spot in the X3 lineup while keeping the price steady at $87. Max power draw is unchanged, too, with a TDP of 95W.

Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’ll go shotgun a case of Red Bull and get back to testing the avalanche of new hardware under which we’re currently buried. You can expect a review of all three of these new processors—just as soon as we can manage it.

• Ushio01

Since with inlet’s hyper threading and turbo boost and AMD’s own thuban using turbo core and bulldozer with it’s module design real clock for clock, thread for thread comparisons look to be a thing of the past.

• flip-mode

q[I know this is probably way to much to ask but how about a comparison between Intel’s January 2007 Q6600 and AMD’s September 2010 Phenom II X4 970 C3 at equal clocks just to see the difference in performance between these architectures.]

That’d be fun! And throw in an i5 7xx at the same clock with the Turbo turned off.

• nunifigasebefamilia

This should give you an idea: §[<http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=186<]§ Edit: whoops, missed the "at equal clocks" part... This is the closest I can get: §[<http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=86<]§

• flip-mode
          • Ushio01

I’ve used Anandtech’s excellent bench myself but yorkfied is a much refined architecture while the 805 has less L3 cache.

• nunifigasebefamilia

So basically they are the same except just couple of benches.
          P.S. Do you have any idea why Intel has such a huge advantage in the “Microsoft Excel 2007 SP1 – Monte Carlo Simulation”. I’ve noticed that it happes all the time, not just with these 2 particular processors. What part of the processor does this bench stress? Integer arithmetic or floating point or memory subsystem? Or some SSE instructions that are not supported or poorly implementd by AMD? What is the weak point of AMD architecuture that this bench touches?

• nunifigasebefamilia

just bumping my question above those whiners (#2 and #26) 🙂

• nunifigasebefamilia

I’ve noticed that online retailers were selling 1090T for $230 for a while now. Is it that they knew ahead of time about price reduction and just lowered it in advance, or we can expect further price cuts by retailers?

• Sargent Duck

Damage, I volunteer to help shoulder the load, offer some “load balancing” of those CPU and GPU benchmarks. You can offload some of that testing to me. All you have to do is send some of that -[

• flip-mode

CPUs are dead. Faster synthetic benches – who cares. Faster Cinebench rendering – worthless to the average -[

• bthylafh

I won’t insult your intelligence by pretending that you believe what you just wrote.

• flip-mode

OK, I’ll consider all your posts beneath your own intelligence too!

• mesyn191

He is being hyperbolic but is partially right. For most people right now a faster CPU is unnoticeable. They’d benefit more from a SSD or more RAM or a bigger monitor.

For gaming, encoding, and other odds n’ ends like rendering the CPU still matters.

• Meadows

I upgraded my CPU a few days ago, got myself an Athlon II X4 640 (C3 stepping). Runs cool and nice at 3.58 GHz (peaks at <50 degrees under full load – air cooled -, 100% stable, verified with high-stress LinX settings).

You’re right, the system hasn’t become any more snappy.

But gaming improved (mostly WoW), and my personal production suites all run with better speed and capacity. It was worth it. Don’t dismiss CPU upgrades in general. And I upgraded from a first-generation Phenom, so it wasn’t even the number of cores but merely the difference in architectural efficiency and clock rate.

However, a six-core processor with 3.3-3.7 GHz operating frequencies? Now /[

• flip-mode

You missed the b[

• 5150

Red Bull = Overpriced
    Bawls = The Best
    Mt. Dew = Best Value

• BoBzeBuilder

All are garbage.

• dpaus

All your garbage are belong to us!

• fent

You can get 100 200mg caffeine pills for like 5 bucks. Although…you do have to be careful… §[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c<]§

• Mikael33

Best value for caffeine is shitty coffee, like folgers or something, like 4 bucks for 10~oz. I personally drink charbucks I get from the market since I have functioning taste buds and a nose. Every once in a while I get some awesome micro roasted coffee, like something from Paradise Roasters.
      Amongst the energy drinks, I think NOS is the best deal, gas station near me usually has the 16oz on sale 2 for $3. They’re pretty potent too, 260mg caffeine per 16oz, don’t be like me and drink two of them in an hour…

• grantmeaname

I want that processor. That’s three times my core count and 900MHz faster! It’s insane!

• ronch

So I guess you have an Athlon 64 X2 4600? That runs at 2.4GHz and is obviously a dual core. Time to upgrade, buddy.

• OneArmedScissor

Pfffft. I’d still be running an Athlon 64 X2 if the motherboard hadn’t died. I’ve since replaced it with two similarly clocked Pentium dual-cores, but I couldn’t tell a difference.

Newer and faster CPUs are still faster mostly just because of their higher clocks. After all, Athlon 64s have integrated memory controllers and Intel’s dual-cores still don’t. There’s not quite the world of architecural advancement going on there that they’d like you to believe.

• grantmeaname
      • HiggsBoson

Hehe, I feel your pain buddy, I feel your pain. but I’m counting the days until SB myself.

• Mikael33

I run a S939 Opteron 165@ 2.65ghz, been do for a upgrade for a while but no games really stress my system other than the usual, Crysis etc, I’ve been playing Fall Out Vegas maxed with 4x fsaa at 1680×1050 and it only lags during VATS, which is an apparent bug. However, I do audio recording/mixing and I could really use a quadcore cpu for that with all the vst’s I run,I have to use a huge buffer for it to play back without hiccups.

• chasscF1

What happened to the 1065T? I thought this one was supposed to be released as well. Really looking for that one to replace my X3 in the same TDP.

• kamikaziechameleon

The 1090T has been at 230 for a couple weeks now.

• crabjokeman

Red Bull?! fsck that. This is a professional site. If you’re behind on work, I expect you to start shooting meth ASAP. Earn those advertising dollars, you corporate b!tches.

• grantmeaname

Red Bull filesystem check complete. No errors found.

• maroon1

“That means the X6 1100T will briefly do battle with the Core i7-860, which lists for $284, before Sandy Bridge comes along in a few weeks and changes the math again.”

Really ?

i7 870 cost only $280
    §[<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115213&cm_re=i7_870-_-19-115-213-_-Product<]§ Why would anyone compare any CPU to i7 860 when i7 870 is cheaper ?

• NeelyCam

To make the “any CPU” look better than it really is.

• rekta
      • Kurotetsu

A $4 and 130MHz difference isn’t really going to change the results very much at all. So why bother? (Especially if they had an i7-860 on hand and not an i7-870)

• dpaus

As with the GPUs, I’m looking forward to the Value Proposition chart the most! I’ll ask Santa to help replenish your Red Bull supply.

• boobyne

I’d like to see a Value Proposition chart on the caffeine, quick, before you can’t find any four loko.