OnLive bringing games, Windows apps to tablets and smartphones

The OnLive cloud gaming service is coming to tablets. As GamesBeat reports, an iPad app has already been released, and a beta version for Android devices is coming soon. Don’t get too excited about actually playing games, though. The current app is merely a viewer, which means you’re limited to living vicariously through others using the service. I suppose that might appeal to voyeurs interested in watching others play games, but OnLive is also promising to let tablet users take a more active role once games are optimized for touch-based input. The current catalog of titles is designed to be played with either a gamepad or a keyboard and mouse, neither of which are easy options for current slates.

Gamers aren’t the only ones OnLive is eying with its tablet apps, though. The company has demoed the service running desktop applications in a Windows 7 environment. I’d expect the window to those applications to suffer from the same YouTubesque picture quality that afflicts the service’s game catalog, but latency will probably be less of an issue. Dealing with the touch-based interfaces available on modern tablets will remain challenging, as few desktop apps, let alone Windows 7, are optimized for finger taps and swipes.

OnLive isn’t stopping at tablets, either. An app for the iPhone and iPod touch is in the works, and with the company bullish on Android’s potential, I suspect we’ll see other smartphones tapping into the cloud before long. Being able to harness the power of a desktop PC from one’s tablet or smartphone is certainly appealing, and I like the idea of playing games on OnLive’s servers. However, if I’m going to dip into standard desktop applications, odds are I’m going to want to access the ones living on my own PC rather than using whatever generic Windows environment OnLive cooks up for its users.

• ronch

I’d rather have no computer than get Onlive’s crap.

• dustyjamessutton

About the only people I see OnLive appeal to is game developers. It’s pretty much a fool-proof way of preventing piracy.

• burntham77

OnLive on my gaming computer at home sounds extremely lame. OnLive on a tablet, where suddenly we can play high-end games on portable hardware… well that’s actually interesting.

• swaaye

So Crysis is coming to “smart”phones soon? That is somewhat fascinating, actually….

• tejas84

Local computing FTW.

To hell with cloud computing!

• lilbuddhaman

For somewhat gpu/cpu intensive slow paced puzzle / Strategy / Adventure / RPG games this could be awesome.

For anything that requires sub 300ms latency, Not a chance in the world. Maybe when 5G rolls out. (note: I have no idea what or if “5G” will be hard numbers wise)

• Corrado

Technically, 4G is supposed to be 100mbit moving and 1gbit stationary. Nothing deployed in the world is truly 4G yet.

• mongoosesRawesome

he said latency, not bandwidth.

• ssidbroadcast

The whole “Spectate” mode doesn’t really make a lot of sense for most, er maybe all, of the games. The only game I watch more than I play is SC2, and it’s a fat chance OnLive will ever get that license!

• thesmileman

I have people watch me place just cause 2 all the time. Yesterday I had over 10 people watching at one point. I find that have people watch me play makes that game that much more fun because I am putting on a show now playing the game like usual. People keep cheering you on and sending you messages. It is great! I had a monster truck dragging a speedboat down a street crushing people then later I had a statues head cabled to a truck and was causing absolute chaos. I had like 300 cheers and 50 messages in less than an hour.

That being said most people are just playing and it is boring to watch. but some people like me have fun with it.

• indeego

Really thought Steam would have been the first to do this. This market potential is absolutely massiveg{<.<}g

• sweatshopking

valve seems to be doing some kind of drug recently. IDK what they’re thinking. I’ve started getting my games through gamesforwindows.com, and so far it’s been great. No additional DRM, and i can share my keys if i want, as they’re all retail keys. I also don’t have to login to a stupid service, have somebody “hijack” my account, and leave me locked out for 2 days. plus the sales are better. The only thing I miss is the chat and game joining functionality, which I understand are coming. Bring them on I say!