Poll: What kind of panel lives inside your LCD monitor?

Thanks to the rise of TN panels, LCD monitors have become incredibly cheap. However, some of us are still willing to pay a premium for the superior color reproduction offered by IPS and PVA panels. I didn’t even consider TN panels when upgrading the displays connected to my primary desktop, although I did cheap out on a TN screen to replace the aging CRT I had hooked up to test systems. So, what about you? What kind of panel lives inside your primary LCD monitor? You can cast your vote over on the right column on the front page or after clicking on the comment link below.

In last week’s poll, we asked about the size of the fan strapped to your CPU cooler. At 52%, the majority, and by far the biggest group, are rocking 120-mm fans. In a distant second place, 17% are using whatever came with the stock cooler. 14% employ aftermarket cooling with a 92-mm fan, and 10% are split evenly between 80- and 140-mm fans. Rounding out the rest, 3% rely on passive cooling, 2% have a CPU fan smaller than 80 mm, and another 2% are using a massive turbine that measures greater than 140 mm in diameter.

• C-A_99

I currently use a cheap Acer TN (22″ 1680×1050), an old Samsung TN (19″, 1280×1024), and an older Samsung “flat” CRT; 4:3 19″ (18″ screen diagonal) up to 1280×1024 (though I run it at 1280×960). This is all hooked up to my Radeon 5770. (The Acer is driven with an active DP to DVI converter.)

I recall using higher quality Dell panels in high school (only for a few systems; most of the school’s computers used crappy 1280×1024 17″ TN’s with really high response time), though I’m not sure what type they were. All I know is that their color consistency and low motion blur were much better than any LCD I’ve come across (which were mostly TN’s anyway).

Unfortunately, 3 CRT’s is impractical (let alone impossible; no DVI or DP to VGA conversion for a reasonable cost) for my setup, due to lack of space. I also dislike that very few CRT’s are even 16:10 as widescreens are far better for games and movies, and dislike the poor pixel lineup/lack of sharpness.

I’m more or less waiting on the OLED now. The tech holds much promise for sorting out bad problems with TN’s which are so much worse in laptops. I have an old mp3 player I got about 5-6 years ago, with a small 128×128 (roughly one inch) OLED and I noticed how much better those screens are shortly after using it.

• Mr Bill

BenQ 24″ PVA panel, best monitor I have had since CRT’s.

• LoneWolf15

Still loving my Dell 2407WFP S-PVA panel. Definitely the best of what I use.

I have dual Ultrasharp 1908 TN panels at work, and a WXGA+ TN panel in my ThinkPad T400.

• albundy

i’d like to check off a OLED checkbox. savin my time for LG’s 31-inch OLED screen supposedly due out in 3 months. some peeps probably even bought the sony 11″ screen, lol!

• zqw

Has black crush from straight ahead been improved with newer PVA/MVA panels? Here’s a test image, much more detail in the darks when viewed from the side:
    ยง[< http://www.toastyx.net/mountain.jpg<]ยง That's my big regret on my 2nd monitor - 2407WFP-HC, that and overdrive ghosting. I think an IPS for graphics work and a fast TN for games would be the best of both worlds.

• Hallucinosis

I went straight from a CornerStone 21″ (20″ viewable) Flat shadow-mask CRT to a Dell 2407WFP IPS. The 2407WFP was the first LCD I had encountered that, for me, was better than the CRT.

I can’t stand TN panels–they look like crap. I notice the low quality immediately.

At work I have 2 Dell 2007WFP monitors. At home I’ve since upgraded to a Dell U2711 (I love this monitor) and a Dell 2007WFP (my wife now uses the Dell 2407WFP).

My television is a LG 55LE8500. It’s a nice TV, but looks like crap as a monitor. I don’t want to imagine how much it would cost to own a IPS TV.

• GrimDanfango

The only reason the market ends up saturated with crap is because people don’t bother to appreciate decent image quality. You don’t have to be a photography professional to reject cheap tat.
    If consumers miraculously started en masse to care about the quality of what they were buying, rather than the price at the expense of all else, it would benefit everyone!

You don’t all go to McDonalds for a decent meal, purely because it’s cheaper than your favourite restaurant. A MaccyDs would get the job done though…

The world would be a better place if people gave a crap about workmanship.

• WaltC

I just bought, on a whim, a 23″ LG LED LCD, Flatron E2360V, as I hadn’t really heard of LED LCDs until now. So far I’m darn pleased with it–color contrast, black levels, even text display, all are far better than they were with my wife’s previous monitor, a Samsung 226BW. The other thing that is also noticeably better is the viewing angle. I could never get it right on the Samsung as just craning her neck would cause the image to degrade–not a worry with this monitor.

I’m wondering if anyone has any calibration tips for this kind of LED LCD…?

• kitsura

At work I use a 23″ Cinema Display and at home I use a Dell 2001WFP. Both IPS panels.

• swaaye

Hmmmm. I think that what matters most is avoiding the really bad panels. I use IPS and TN panels every day and the good ones are all hard to tell apart unless they are particularly poor specimens (usually notebooks).

• cmrcmk

If you’d asked me 6 months ago, I could have said IPS, but alas, it’s too expensive to get a big monitor without going TN. That IPS panel served me well for nearly a decade, though.

A high-quality TN is fine. Samsung’s 5ms 8-bit panels are decent.

The problem with TN is that it is the cheapest technology so the companies that make really cheap screens pick up really nasty TN panels and then saturate the market with them.

• anotherengineer

I wasnt aware that you could get a true 8-bit TN panel?!?!?!

An led backlit with true 8-bit color TN panel wouldn’t be too bad if the price was right.

• Joel H.

I’m still not sure you can. What I *do* know is that color reproduction accuracy varies greatly between TN panels. I always know if I’m using a lousy 6-bit panel because I can never find a point at which all content looks acceptably good. I’m always tuning the panel between gaming, writing, watching movies, editing photos, etc.

A TN panel with a good dithering implementation is good enough for common use even if your eyes are color-sensitive.

• Hattig

At home I have a 24″ 1920×1080 BenQ VW2420H – VA LED. So I selected PVA although I don’t know if BenQ’s VA technology is technically exactly the same. It’s a nice monitor though.

At work I have a 22″ Dell TN POS (and the MacBook’s display which is very nice and IPS), but it does the job at work, and TN == built in viewing-angle-dependent privacy feature. There is a clear and massive difference in quality between the IPS and TN.

• Corrado

MacBooks are TN. Just high quality TN. They don’t have IPS in them yet.

• Walkintarget

Another happy Soyo Topaz S 24″ (early production model) owner here. Very satisfied with this panel, and also wish I had bought a second.

• skitzo_zac

Have a Dell U2311H (IPS) here. Basically only reason I got an IPS panel was because of all the TR members going on about them ๐Ÿ˜€

• kroker

No MVA option? It’s similar to PVA, they’re both VA technologies, but from what I know they’re not quite the same thing. I had a 24″Soyo (1920 x 1200) with an MVA panel, great value for money, but it died on me a few months ago (it’s PSU died); now I’m on my old 17″ CRT until I get enough money to buy a new one or find somone who can fix my Soyo monitor. At work I have a 22″ LG, 1920 x 1080 widescreen, TN.

The sad thing is that 1920 x 1200 monitors are hard to find right now. I’m quite disappointed with today’s monitors. I wish I would have bought two Soyo monitors while I had the change, I can’t find them anymore in my country.

The Soyo did have one nasty problem though: it quickly developed burnin! If I kept the monitor off for a day or two some of it would go away, but some of the burnin was permanent apparently. But I would much rather live with that than with a 1920 x 1080 TN.

• DrCR

I miss the good SPVAs from a few years back. I should have bought one additional one then; indeed, the price point for a good 24″ display hasn’t really changed. The panel uniformity of current generation IPS panels fails to inspire.

Anyone one know of a good 24″ VA or (uniform) IPS panel available on today’s market?

Edit: the LACIE 324 can still be had on the egg. About $150 more than budget, perhaps this is the best bet? I wish I could grab another LG L246WP.

• ronch

I’d like to grab an IPS panel but given how cheap TN panels are right now they’re a bit of a luxury item. Besides, the salesmen at the computer stores near us don’t even know what the heck IPS or TN is. All they know is LED and even don’t know that LEDs simply replaced the fluorescent backlight of ‘conventional’ LCD panels. Crazy how LED is all the rage nowadays. Crap!

• kmieciu

I’m not a woman, a gay, or a photo editing professional so I don’t care what shade of blue is the blue on my screen as long as it’s blue. So the TN panels are perfect for me.

• Sunburn74

Haha… expertly said.

• Prion

Which would be totally ok if it actually stayed blue when viewed from above or the sides. I’m not sure how I feel about my cellphone having a vastly more usable display than my laptop for the first time that I can remember.

• Evan

I’m still rockin’ a Dell UltraSharp 2001FP. I’m waiting for a 2560×1600 or maybe 1920×1200 IPS LED-backlit screen with DisplayPort input. The older UltraSharp 2000FP is hooked up to my server and is still working fine. My work laptop docking station setup has an UltraSharp 2407WFP (PVA panel on that one, I think), and it works well too.

• Bauxite

Apple has a standalone 27″ LED that is /[

• KoolAidMan

This is all correct. I plug my gaming PC into my 27″ iMac and use it as a secondary display on that machine, works super well. All you need is a dual-link DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter, or a video card with DisplayPort output built into it.

I do all my gaming on that display actually. Its no big deal since I upgraded from my GTX 285 card to a pair of GTX 460 cards in SLI, they can drive games in 2560×1440 with settings cranked, no problem.

• jalex3

fujitsu is what need

• KoolAidMan

IPS or bust. I have an NEC 2490WUXi for my PC and a 27″ iMac here, which my PC is also plugged into as a secondary monitor. I wouldn’t go with anything less, TN LCDs are such garbage.

On the plus side, IPS LCDs are actually very affordable now, especially in 16:9 sizes. It is nothing like how it was when I got my NEC in 2007 and you had to pay around $1000 for a good IPS display.

• Asbestos

“especially in 16:9 sizes” that made me vomit.

I would never pay a premium for an IPS and then get shafted by reduced resolution. Though 16:10 is becoming rarer these days, thankfully they are still available. I’ll just have to pay a double premium for IPS and 16:10.

• KoolAidMan

Budget is a concern for some people. 16:9 under 27″ isn’t something I would buy either, but if I was forced to choose between a TN 24″ or an IPS 23″ for budgetary reasons, I’d go with the IPS.

Or just do the sensible thing, save up for a few extra weeks, and get the 24″ IPS. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Starfalcon

Still rocking my Sony GDM-FW900 CRT, I figure I will keep it until its dead then go for an IPS panel. The one thing that sucks is I have a nice VGA/PS/2 4 port KVM that I will have to stop using, since pretty much PS/2 ports are nearly gone now and VGA is going to be gone in the next few years too.

• Bauxite

I still have mine in storage, I guess because its friggin heavy, was top of its era and throwing it out just feels wrong. (also not considered regular trash by responsible folks)

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it still works in 20 years though likely need some serious warmup, degauss and calibration. I know a couple real old tvs (some 40+) that still work even after constant service, though they might have got some love along the way.

• KikassAssassin

I’m still rocking a Dell 2405 FPW (S-PVA) that I got back when $900 was considered an amazing deal for a 24″ LCD monitor. I love this monitor, and don’t really have any complaints about it (other than the fact that it came out before the HDCP standard was implemented, so I can’t watch Blu-Ray movies on my computer, but I have no plans to replace my monitor just because the movie industry wants to treat me like a criminal for being an early adopter (I’m not bitter)).

• stdRaichu

You could just rip the blu-rays and play them back with the copy protection removed. Works perfectly for me on all my monitors.

• oldog

An IPS Dell U2410 for me.

All the better to see the flashing ads on this site, even off-angle, in the middle of the day, and when the images are especially fast moving.

• kizzmequik_74

Turns out that I have three monitors I use on a regular basis: a CRT at the office; a 22″ TN screen on my (now-dead) desktop; and an IPS panel on my ThinkPad.

I reflexively voted TN, but I actually spend the most time in front of my laptop’s IPS panel these days.

• Deanjo

TN until my Dell 30″ gets here but how I wish there was a flat panel out there that could match my old FW900 @ 2304×1440. I have yet to see any flat panel that could compare to that heavy beast.

• crabjokeman

Viewsonic VX2025wm: PVA
    I can’t stand TN’s poor viewing angles and am saddened to see them embraced by the ignorant masses.

• bhtooefr

I’ll choose to ignore my netbook…

ThinkPad has an IDTech IAQX10N, 2048×1536 IPS panel.

IBM T221 has an IDTech panel as well, 3840×2400 IPS.

• clone

looks good, got it for the right price and haven’t looked back.

seems odd given I’m so pc component focused but never stopped for a second to wonder what panel was used in the build….. probably because you buy the complete display and can’t have a say in what frame uses what panel with what powe rsupply so I can’t be bothered to wonder about it.

I’m sure it’s a cheap panel, the only criteria I had was to make sure it looked ok and that it had DVI and HDMI connections.

• neon

NEC MultiSync 2070NX

20″ of 1600×1200 un-widescreen S-IPS yumminess

• insulin_junkie72

TN (Samsung 26″), since I rarely game and don’t need super color-accuracy.

(Now TV – for HTPC and regular TV activities – is a different story; only plasma will do for me)

• blitzy

IPS is on my secondary LCD, but pretty much all my gaming and media runs through a 42″ Plasma

• Pettytheft

I’ve always more or less rolled my eyes at people who insist IPS panels are so far superior to TN. Until yesterday. I’ve been using a 2001FP for the past 6 years or so. I wanted a 16:10 format as opposed to 1080p. All the 24″ IPS panels are out of stock or out of my pricerange. (I did pay more for my Dell but that was 2 kids ago)

I found a 26″ Asus with the right format. Arrived yesterday. I hooked it up and put my 2001FP as a secondary. If they were not side to side I may not have noticed but the colors just seem washed out. The only thing I felt that looked better were games. As it is I have my browser open on my old school 4:3 monitor. I’m considering sending this one back, saving up for a while until i can afford a IPS panel.

• cybot_x1024

i would like to update my screen from my 20″ MVA to a 25/26″ panel thats not a TN. are there any options left apart from IPS?

• barich

My main monitor, which has outlasted 3 computers and counting, is a Dell 2001FP (IPS). I think it was well worth the $750 I spent on it in 2004. I also have a 2209WA on another PC. I think IPS is worth the small premium for something that I’m going to keep for as many years as I do and is the primary interface with my computer. And I don’t even really notice the improved color, it’s mainly the viewing angle that bothers me on TN displays.

• kureshii

Dual U2410s here. Still figuring how to fit a U3011 into all of this when I eventually buy one.

• ShadowTiger

I have a 24 inch TN panel and a 20 inch IPS panel… i voted for TN since that is what i game on…

• Bauxite

I love IPS:

55 TV, 30 and 27 monitors at home, picked them up this year.

27 + 2 x 24 at work.

I still own a some random smaller TN panels, along with a pretty good 24 that is something-VA and served me well for ~3 years.

• DeadOfKnight

I have a Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP Rev. A01 and I still don’t know what kind of screen it has, but it is pretty good. I’ve tried googling to find out before but got mixed results.

• mnecaise

I’ve both an IPS and a TN side by side. If I try really hard I can tell the difference. But, since I’m a bit color deficient anyway… There’s no significant advantage (apparent) to my using the more expensive panels.

• Wirko

What about TVs? Can you tell by the brand if it’s a VA or IPS panel?

• Bauxite

It is still model dependent, but some brands tend to use one type more often and others have no IPS models at all.

There are a few that vary by lot/serial/production though, its rather annoying. LG has some “panel lottery” sets at certain sizes, though you can tell if you can get a look at the box.

• Rectal Prolapse

21″ IPS monitors have been hitting the $200 mark consistently the past few months. That’s hardly expensive compared to the “higher-end” TN panels lol.

• ludi

Dell 2209WA (IPS), purchased from Leor in the Bargain Basement a while back. Was using an Acer 22″ TN for nearly three years and had no complaints, but then digital photography replaced gaming as my primary application.

Sold the Acer to my roommate for a quick cheap buck, he uses it with his laptop.

• leor

Right-O!

U3011 and a pair of flanking, vertical U2410s here!

• anotherengineer

Umm Geoff, your going to have to edit your choices.

I have an old viewsonic VP930b and it has an AU Optronics MVA panel. PVA is a samsung design.

My rz2233 120hz samy is a TN though.

• KarateBob

Or an option: “LCD isnt good enough, using Plasma or something else as a main display”

• ludi

Too wordy.

• wibeasley

I think most people consider PVAs and MVAs equivalent (at this coarse a grouping).

But that’s not even your primary monitor?

• FuturePastNow

My monitor- a 24″ LG L246WP-BN -is also a MVA panel.

I suppose PVA is close enough for poll purposes, though.

• Krogoth

Running TN panels here. IMO, IPS panels aren’t worth the premium unless you have work that requires superior color accuracy. A decent TN does the job without killing your checking account. The market agrees on this.

I am not missing the loss of CRTs either. They are gone for a number of reasons. I suspect the largest factor is that they aren’t “ROHS” compliant. If EU/USA governments are making such a fuss over tiny lead content found in the solder with older tracings. There’s no way CRTs aren’t going to get the pass. Because, they need a ton of lead for shielding on the cathode. Did you ever wonder why CRTs were always so darn heavy? Now you know why. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• ludi

Technically, the lead is bonded into the glass. Although it can be chemically leached out of the glass, the process is slow and nowhere near as environmentally hazardous as e.g. bare solder joints.

I’d wage that the primary reason why they are gone is that LCDs reached the inflection point, somewhere around 2005 and primarily due to TN panels, where a cheap LCD could beat a cheap CRT at the cash register. The rest was history.

• WaltC

Another immense economic aspect to the ushering in of LCD monitors just had to be shipping costs…! That damn Sony 21″ flat-screen- Trinitron I had several years ago must’ve weighed 60-70 lbs…! Imagine millions of such beasties being shipped and sold and transported every year! Shipping must’ve been astronomical in comparison with today’s slim, card-board boxed monitors weighing in at 10 pounds or less.

• BiffStroganoffsky

I always thought it was because CRTs are vacuum tubes and the good ones are thicker and heavier for safety, especially with the better units that had flat(er) screens up front for less distortion. I haven’t noticed my leaded crystal being any heavier than the ‘good’ glasses in the cupboards.

• ludi

/[

• Palek

q[< Did you ever wonder why CRTs were always so darn heavy? Now you know why. ;)<]q So it's not the huge, thick glass tube, then? ๐Ÿ˜›

• glynor

My answer depends entirely upon what you mean by “primary” and “monitor”. My main monitor at work is a 24″ Dell IPS monitor, so that’s how I voted. However…

I’d say the “monitor” I use the MOST at home is the one connected to my HTPC, which is a 50″ Plasma. My HTPC is the only “source device” I have connected to the TV and it certainly gets far more use on a daily basis than any of the other machines I have at home. My other machines at home include an “office” machine that has an older 24″ 16:10 Samsung IPS (which does not get heavy use), my Macbook, and my main workstation/server in the basement “man cave” which has dual 24″ 16:9 TN monitors.

• crazybus

Still using my IPS Dell 2005FPW. Its 500:1 contrast ratio isn’t spectacular but the viewing angles are, and it does a good enough job of accurately displaying the sRGB colour space. I would love to upgrade to a new 1080p+ IPS monitor though. I don’t think I could stand to use a TN display, even a decent one, on my primary desktop.

• gyrfalcon1

I’m in this boat as well. My 2005FPW is still going strong.

• Thrashdog

I’ve gt a couple of TN displays, but with the influx of relatively inexpensive IPS displays over the last couple of years I’m looking to upgrade.

• PetMiceRnice

Not sure, I’m still using the same panel that I bought at the same time as my tower 4 years ago, a Samsung 225BW. It has served me very well and I really have no complaints about it except that it does not do 1920×1080.

• sircharles32

I’ve got a Dell 2407WFP, which according to Anandtech, has an S-PVA panel.

• Meadows

What’s an LCD?

• Wirko

Take a close look at you monitor screen and you’ll see them, those Little Colour Dots.

• Meadows

Ah, and here I thought it stood for something else.

Sounds like you haven’t used an ATM machine or a DVD disk.

• Meadows

DVD discs have screens?

• ludi

Least common denominator.

• blastdoor

27″ Apple display at home (with my Mac Pro)

• sheltem

Panasonic VIERA TC-32LZ800, IPS

• MrBojangles

I voted tn since that’s what my 23″ monitor is, but does anyone know a sure fired way to tell if your panel is ips or tn if your not sure?Only reason i ask is i recently picked up a new laptop (well technically and older one, but new to me =) ) model dv8380us.Every specs sheet i can find lists it as a WXGA+ which i’m pretty sure is tn.I have my doubts though on my laptop however.It just seems to have much better viewing angles and color than I’m used to with a laptop.Has me wondering if there’s a utility or something i can run to get more detailed info about my monitor??kinda like cpu/gpuz, or just a quick easy test to be sure?

• apertur3

Still rocking the Dell 2001FP (IPS). Love this monitor. Won’t upgrade until it dies or I somehow fall into an incredibly large sum of money that I can spend indiscriminately ๐Ÿ™‚

• apertur3

[mods please remove this]

• jalex3

tn for my 16 and 22, i have found the ips model i want but dont think its out here yet its a fujitsu 24 ips led backlit 16-10 rt 5ms

• indeego

I chose Work as my main: A TN Samsung
    Home: IPS NEC

I notice little to no difference day-to-day. The TN panel cost less and is largerg{<.<}g

• SsP45

HP LP2475, H-IPS.

• khands

I have a TN, but I so want an IPS

• srg86

I’m perfectly happy with my TN panels, they just work. I mainly do coding and watching videos with mine and they’ve never given me a trouble. IPS panels are too expensive for my liking. I’ve never bothered to spend more than

• Sikthskies

They just work…like a mac? ๐Ÿ™‚

• srg86

I wouldn’t know, I don’t buy apple.

• KoolAidMan

You are also happy with TN panels

• bthylafh

FWIW Dell somewhat frequently has sales on their 21″ and 23″ IPS monitors.

Right now the U2311H is $299 and the U2211H is $229, both IPS.

• plasticplate

You would definitely notice some color and viewing angle improvement with an IPS panel. When i was in school, my brother was upgrading his monitor and gave me his old IPS panel.It was great for movies and stuff but when i was playing UT3 it was crappy cause of massive ghosting. I now have a 23″ dell TN panel and while its not on par with the old dell IPS in regards to color and viewing angles, its got no ghosting issues whatsoever.

• apertur3

That’s just the thing: if he hasn’t noticed or cared by now, he probably isn’t likely to notice/care. Not knocking either of you guys, but TN panels have a market for a reason, and for as much as I abhor the technology, it gets basic things done with no trouble whatsoever at 1/3 the cost. That being said, my next panel will be IPS, just like my current one.

• plasticplate

You r probably right about not knowing the difference if u haven’t used an IPS before. But even if u used an IPS before u might still switch to TN panel for reasons other than cost. I have a job now and can afford to buy an IPS panel. But for my purposes (I mostly game…a LOT), TN is superior to IPS and PVA cause of the response time. Cant play twitch shooters on 8-15ms panels. If they can come up with an IPS or PVA panel with response time under 5ms, i will gladly shell out the extra money.

• Fighterpilot

Dude,get current.
            You CAN play “twitch shooters” on an IPS panel.
            There’s almost no difference in input/screen redraw lag on a decent, current IPS display.
            It takes a day or so to get used to any and then it’s just gone dude…that’s it.Buy both(as I have) and join Mythbusters ๐Ÿ™‚
            Dell U2410 (H-IPS) and Samsung 206BW (TN)

• bthylafh

True that. My 2209WA doesn’t show any noticeable ghosting when I play FPSes or flight sims.

• plasticplate

R u kiddin me? Get current? How current is the dell U2711? My friend (Colleague) games on it and i still see ghosting on it. i dont know if ur’s is a newer model that has better response time, or maybe u dont play fast twitch shooters like ut3, or u may not move fast enough in ut3 to notice any ghosting but please dont tell me theres no ghosting on IPS panels

• StuG

The response time can indeed make a difference. I had an argument with a friend one time, about whether a gaming mouse could technically matter or not compared to a regular mouse when shot at the same time. The average gaming server has its query for shot registrations refresh every 10ms, and within that time there is the margin of error. If you are seeing something that happened within the last “shooting” query, you could be dead already (according to the server) without even seeing it happen yet.

Is this cause to worry for most people? No, but for people who want the best of the best for gaming it does.

• anotherengineer

True, they have come a long way, but they still can’t hold a candle to a CRT or a true 120Hz lcd monitor.

Just check out tftcentral, and they test latency, and input lag.

• Blazex

rocking a tn panel, it was a good price right before they slashed prices for 22″ becoming the new standard within half a year :/
    would love to get an ips type panel when possible though, used some u2410’s in school

• Kurotetsu

Still using a Soyo Topaz S P-MVA monitor I bought for $300. My next one will probably be a 2560×1440 IPS variant monitor. (if and only if 1920×1200 monitors are extinct by that point at least).

• DreadCthulhu

I have the same monitor. Will hopefully go to 2560×1600 for my next upgrade, or higher if the monitor makers would hurry up with higher dpi displays.

• flip-mode

Not really sure.

• ucisilentbob

S-IPS on my 2001fp and a H-IPS on my U2410. Well worth the money!

• NarwhaleAu

IPS all the way – none of this 1080 nonsense either. Next monitor (perhaps towards the end of next year) will be a 30″ IPS biggun.

• Spotpuff

TN makes my eyes burn.

I’m good with a Samsung TN 1080p display. I just play games and make music; no need for super-dee-duper color accuracy, and current TN is actually pretty nice for everyday use, IMO. The sound accuracy is what I want. ๐Ÿ˜€

• kdashjl

IBM E54
    i like it…

• Peffse

IBM G70 here

• Bauxite

Are these the ones that require a pair of dual link dvi inputs, can hold a 2×2 grid of 1080p video with room to spare and run at like 20hz?

I saw some used ones on fleabay under a grand awhile back and thought about it, but the refresh rate seemed like a big problem for anything besides static images.

• not@home

I am still rocking an old professional grade CRT. To get a new, equivalent quality monitor, I would need to get a rather expensive panel and I do not have the money for it. If I did have the money, I would get an IPS panel. I do a lot of photo editing so I need the image quality.

• KarateBob

My old Samsung 204b 1600×1200 20.1″ TN Panel finally died, and none of the LCD replacement’s were worth the price, so I bought a Panasonic NeoPDP 42″ 1080p display for my desktop ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jigar

A lot of people are on TN panel…

• wibeasley

HP ZR24w and Dell 2005FPW. My laptop is IPS too (ThinkPad T43).

• edh

The only way I’ll quit owning IPS monitors is if they completely quit manufacturing IPS monitors and the last one on Earth dies (unless something comes along that is demonstrably superior).

• kamikaziechameleon

Dell 2408WFP FTW!

• CasbahBoy

What revision? I sold an A00 very recently to upgrade to a U2410 – I had forgotten how bad the input lag problem was on my 2408WFP. It took over a year, but I had just gotten used to it. It was like moving to a whole new computer when I started using the U2410.

Colors aren’t /[

• Captain Ned

Won the panel lottery on my Dell 2007WFP and ended up with an IPS panel.

• Decelerate