Google Cr-48 laptop makes up for beta OS with swanky hardware

You know that Cr-48 development laptop Google shipped its Chrome OS beta on? We talked a little bit about the machine two days ago, but now, the folks at Engadget have posted a full-fledged hands-on preview of it. From what I can tell, this is one of the better-designed netbooks out there.

Engadget points out that the system has a matte plastic finish—no glossy smudge-magnet surfaces here—a "great" keyboard, and a nice, large, multi-touch ClickPad. There’s also a 12.1" display with a magnetic latch, some solid-state storage (Engadget doesn’t say how much), and a removable 58 Wh battery. Google reportedly stuck an Atom processor inside, too, but the report doesn’t go into detail.

Judging by that hands-on video, Chrome OS looks pretty slick despite its beta status. I dig the neat little touches, like how holding the power button makes the full-screen browser window zoom out to reveal the log-in screen, and holding further makes the log-in screen collapse into the black backdrop before the machine shuts down. Apparently, the system takes only 15-20 seconds to boot up, but closing the display puts it in a hibernation mode that the laptop can handle for days.

Too bad this only appears to be a preview machine for testers. I have my fingers crossed about the possibility of a retail system featuring the same chassis and guts, though. There must be be a hardware vendor behind such a slick laptop design.

• eternalmatt

I applied for one and got one. Everything is as others have described, although I’ve been having intense problems with it and my home router. I’ve taken it to public places and it works there, but my router is just stubborn for it, even though it works with my other laptop.

I don’t have a big problem with the lack of showing the user the filesystem or hiding any terminal to the user (unless dev switch is hit). This is what has been intended from the very beginning. Of course, the Chrome OS is only meant to supplement a normal OS like windows/linux/osx. But I definitely will be taking it places more often than my laptop.

• shiznit

try assigning the Chrome laptop’s mac address a static ip in the router

• ronch

I know Google has half the world’s cash, but I don’t understand why they even have to come up with Chrome OS and ask us to run everything from this stupid cloud thing. I hope it doesn’t take off. Times like this I feel like Microsoft’s my brother.

• MadManOriginal

It ought to be entirely obvious why Google, the ‘we know everything about your web use’ datamining company, wants everything to run on -[

• Ricardo Dawkins

*yawn* give me an Acer Aspire One with any Core ULV cpu before this thing that doesn’t dual boot or run Ubunt and/or Windows.

• shiznit

I got one yesterday and I like it. I don’t know what people were expecting but google never promised anything but a sleek notebook that runs Chrome and only web apps.

The keyboard is very nice and the display is above average, it’s matte and has a good resolution (not sure if 1280×800 or 1440×900 yet but I will make sure). The touchpad isn’t as big as a macbook pro but it’s better than any other I have used. I could really use multitouch gestures for manipulating tabs but I’ll look into that later and unfortunately mouse acceleration is enabled and there is no option to disable it.

• 5150

Well, I applied, probably won’t get one, but I threw out a good pitch.

• kamikaziechameleon

If they sold that laptop for 300-400 I’d get it.

• OneArmedScissor

Eh…58w batttery…but they said it only gets 8 hours. I was hoping that was because they used a small one to cheap out on the beta testers. 🙁

• Shining Arcanine

It is 8 hours with the 58Whr battery as far as I know. I do not know why you would hope that it is because they used a smaller battery than the one for which the 8 hour rating applied. Having a long battery life with a small battery means that there is plenty of room for a large battery to extend battery life.

By the way, an 8 hour battery life with a 58Whr battery means that average power consumption is about 7.25 watts, which is impressive for an entire system. The monitor likely uses the lion’s share of that.

• OneArmedScissor

There’s no shortage of CULV laptops that equal that, and netbooks running Windows 7 with HDDs that beat it.

Sorry, but the fact that it doesn’t even match those with a trimmed down OS and what should be a very low power storage system doesn’t exactly fit my definition of impressive.

If Bobcat laptops actually do get 10 hours out of a 6 cell battery, which isn’t actually an improvement over what’s currently possible, they’re going to make this look incredibly silly when it actually goes on sale 6 months from now.

• Hattig

This is only the developer / pre-release version. I seriously hope that come July that most OEMs will be using Zacate and/or Ontario (depending on screen size, etc).

• Shining Arcanine

My Dell E1705 laptop running Gentoo Linux boots in 15 seconds. Having a ChromeOS system boot in 15 seconds is not particularly impressive to me.

• Dashak

15 seconds is too slow for you? Seems like you just want to argue.

• mongoosesRawesome

or brag

I’d take one of these and install a real OS – Ubuntu Netbook or Windows, or depending on hardware maybe OS X.

• nookie

Yeah except the OS is stored on ROM…

• Shining Arcanine

Google plans to do remote updates, so the memory is writable. It uses flash.

In theory, he can install Gentoo Linux on it. He just cannot use a conventional filesystem, because the filesystem needs to be designed to do wear levelling.

• DrCR

Can you put in a real SSD though? I’m only interested if in this device if I can run a “real” OS as well.

• designerfx

I usually like google products, but so far this thing sounds like garbage. it’s initially okay, but I just see more wrongs than rights I suppose.

trying to hide the filesystem while trying to give it to developers/early adopters? That’s so backwards I don’t know where to start. Giving folks the access so *they* can come up with the great uses for the product should be obvious.

granted, it’s way early and how this could and up is anyone’s guess at this point, so it actually does seem like an okay initial build. If everything is 100% browser based to the point of locking out the obvious underlying system, then my interest ends there.

• Deanjo

Looks wise it reminds me a lot of the black macbook.

• Hattig

I might lose some hard earned money next year to a Zacate powered ChromeOS netbook…

• Jigar

I am sure, it would be worth every penny.

• Jigar