National Lager Day Shortbread

7 Up

1. FCC: 68% of U.S. connections slower than 3Mbps down, 768kbps up
  2. FoxNews on the death of the hard drive
  3. Donanim Haber: MSI Big Bang Marshall P67 motherboard

featuring 8 PCI-E x16 slots pictured (in Turkish)

4. Fudzilla: Cayman is a 2.64 billion transistor chip and

and Radeon HD 6970 runs at 880MHz and

Radeon HD 6970 has 250W PowerTune maximum power

5. Yahoo! News on the caps-lock key: Would you miss it?
  6. November NPD: Best month ever for retail, Xbox
  7. Epic’s Mark Rein talks iOS, Android, and Ars Technica reviews Infinity Blade

National Lager Day

1. C|Net on how evolution begat the cloud revolution

and details emerge of Microsoft’s failed Facebook buy

2. DSLReports: Netflix unworried about broadband caps

and Irish ISP Eircom will kick you offline for your own good

3. Ars Technica’s Hannibal: Intel talks up tablets, phones, and corporate piggy bank raids
  4. DigiTimes: Asus up, while Pegatron down in November revenue growth
  5. Ars Technica reports first arrest made in WikiLeaks revenge attacks
  6. Peering problems: Ars Technica digs into the Comcast / Level 3 grudgematch
  7. Ars Technica: Irish ISP offers free music, “four strikes” to subscribers
  8. TC Magazine: YouTube dropping 15 minutes upload limit, but only for select users
  9. Engadget: Fujitsu hybrid energy harvester makes power

from light or heat, gets us closer to human batteries

10. Physorg: Team develops ‘logic gates’ to program bacteria as computers

Hardware news

1. C|Net: No light for Intel’s initial Light Peak tech
  2. Fudzilla reports Nvidia is out of most Apple notebooks in 2011
  3. Electronista: Apple tests Sandy Bridge, returns to Intel video in MacBooks
  4. Mac Rumors has 5 years of Apple: 2005 iBook to 2010 MacBook Air
  5. TC Magazine: TSMC spending $10 billion on new, 28nm fab and

Acer Iconia dual-touchscreen laptop to launch in Spain next month at €1,499

6. VR-Zone: Lenovo says ‘U’ stands for unique and ultraportable
  7. Engadget: Lenovo launches IdeaPad Y460p and Y560p laptops, IdeaCentre K330 desktop
  8. SemiAccurate has USB 3.0 Q&A with VIA Labs
  9. TC Magazine: Crucial offering more thermal sensor-equipped Ballistix memory

and Logitech ships 2TB ‘premium’ external hard drive

10. Engadget: LaCie ships USB 3.0 Slim Blu-ray external burner for $265
  11. Fudzilla reports HIS intros PCIe x1 HD 5450
  12. TC Magazine: Matrox releases DualHead2Go Dp and TripleHead2Go DP for Macs
  13. C|Net: LG unveiling premium 3D eyewear at CES
  14. TC Magazine: Raptor Gaming announces the LK1 keyboard

and Raptor Gaming K3 keyboard to debut next year

15. Engadget: Apple engineer uses Lego to rebuild ancient

Greek mechanism, will surely try to patent it (video)

16. Dealzon’s deals: $250 coupon for 15.6โ€ Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 i7 / Rapid Drive / Blu-ray,

$50 off Logitech Z4 speakers, $60 coupon for Sennheiser HD-558 headphones, and

$78 coupon for Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

Mobile

1. Forecast iPad share of net traffic to double in a year
  2. AppleInsider: Apple’s iPad to have front, rear cameras in early 2011 – rumor
  3. TUAW: iPad Wi-Fi issue with iOS 4.2.1 frustrating some, nonexistent for many
  4. Sprint: 4G tablet coming in 2011
  5. Mac Rumors: Apple’s iPhone could be last standing in smartphone ‘race to the bottom’
  6. DigiTimes: HTC aims to roll out 60 million handsets in 2011
  7. Engadget’s exclusive: PlayStation Phone ‘Zeus Z1; prototype benchmarked on video

and LG commits to upgrading Optimus Ones to Gingerbread, angry hordes abate

8. WinRumors: Microsoft set to detail second Windows Phone update at MWC in February
  9. TUAW: Desktop version of Google Docs now on iPad, but still disappoints
  10. TC Magazine: Gmail Android app added Priority Inbox
  11. Engadget: Epson and Thinxstream making PrintJinni wireless printing app available for free
  12. Touch Arcade’s exclusive look at Manomio’s ‘iAmiga’

emulation system for iPhone / iPod touch (with video)

13. Engadget’s app review: Infinity Blade (iPhone)
  14. TUAW: Get a free iPhone 3GS at Best Buy today (12/10)

Software

1. MS security bulletin advance notification for December 2010
  2. Download Squad: The Mac App Store won’t support Game Center or in-app purchases
  3. MacRumors: ‘iTunes Rewind‘ highlights the best of 2010
  4. Meet the newest Exchange Server backup provider: Google
  5. Ars Technica: Apache quits Java governance in protest of Oracle abuses
  6. Ars Technica on Chrome Web Store: A solution in search of a problem?
  7. Expreview reviews 3DMark 11
  22. Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.7
  23. Chromium 9.0.600.0

Gaming

1. Phoronix: Linux can deliver a faster gaming experience than Mac OS X
  2. DailyTech reports MIT students build “Minority Report” GUI with Xbox Kinect
  3. AnandTech reviews Microsoft Kinect
  4. Ars Technica on Sony’s machine gun (for the Move)
  5. Shacknews reports Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception

goes 3D; live gamplay demo on Jimmy Fallon Dec. 13

and Dragon Age 2 trailer talks origins and

and The Humble Indie Bundle 2 teased as original bundle scores Steam activation

and Killing Floor holding Christmas celebration with evil Santa, TF2 crossover

6. C|Net: World of Warcraft character move fees waived
  7. Fudzilla reports Halo Wars stats will continue
  8. Joystiq: Final Fantasy XIV team restructuring, PS3 version delayed
  9. MCV: ITV investigates video games addiction
  10. Super Meat Boy, Supreme Commander 2, and Team Fortress 2 updates released on Steam
  11. IObit Game Booster 2.1 Final
  12. Shacknews posts Anomaly: Warzone Earth preview
  13. Steam’s weekend deal: 50% off Amnesia

Hardware

1. Ars Technica has Google Chrome notebook unboxing photos and first impressions
  2. PC Perspective reviews 11″ Alienware M11x Core i7-640UM gaming notebook
  3. [H}ard|OCP reviews Asus Sabertooth 55i motherboard
  4. HotHardware reviews 256GB Samsung 470 series SSD
  5. Techgage reviews Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
  6. TweakTown on the shader difference – GeForce GTX 580 at GTX 480 clocks
  7. CowcotLand pits GTX 465 vs. GTX 470 in SLI (in French)
  8. Photography Blog’s Canon IXUS 1000 HS review
  9. Benchmark Reviews on SteelSeries 7G mechanical gaming keyboard
  10. AnandTech’s 1000W – 1200W roundup: Five high-end PSUs
  11. Tweaknews on Cooler Master V6 GT cooler
    • PopcornMachine

Steam’s weekend deal: 50% off ???

I can’t remember what it was.

• kamikaziechameleon

Yeah well I think we can all agree that people won’t give up localized storage so easily, are they gonna make all cameras and digital media generators into 4 G devices? The cloud will supliment localized storage but won’t replace it for a long time with regards to desktops. I think the cloud may be a renosance for mobile devices but won’t effect desktops much at all.

• ronch

The Death of the Hard Drive?

I can’t help but think these guys are stupid. Most folks will still need to have a hard drive to store their personal data in. And even if we’re all stupid enough to store all our stuff online, isn’t Google gonna use mechanical hard drives to store them anyway? Or are they gonna put all our stuff on SSDs?

I’m not convinced SSDs are gonna kill mech hard drives any time soon either. The cheap cost of mech hard drives nowadays just makes SSDs seem all the more expensive and less compelling, given how small their capacities are. And arriving at high capacities just affects their reliability as smaller fab processes seem to make them less durable. I’m kinda thinking it’s a dead end because you can only shrink transistors so much. I guess that’s why Seagate/WD/Samsung/Hitachi/Toshiba are all keeping their mech hard drive production lines humming. Then again, let’s find out in ten years.

• flip-mode

50% off Amnesia? Done.

• sweatshopking

man! i’d love to buy that game! i loved the penumbra series, and this game looked great! damn losing my job, and not much disposable income!!

• plasticplate

why do u keep saying “losing my job”. Did they tell u they were going to let u go?

• sweatshopking

yah man. 2 weeks ago, i got told not to come in anymore. I’m unemployed. they let a whole bunch of guys go.

• anotherengineer

Milk that unemployment enjoyment, I did for 6 months, it was great, had the summer off, experienced what it was like to be a teacher ๐Ÿ˜›

Probly wont have another day off for the next 10 yrs now ๐Ÿ™

And disposable income??? Me and my wife both work and have 0 disposable income!!……ahhhh family life.

• anotherengineer

Who let a bunch of guys go?

I like how the “news” says the recession is officially over. F that!! It is getting better, but the economy is no where near what it was 2.5+ yrs ago.

• sweatshopking

SubtotalPOS, was the company I worked for. subtotalpos.com and you can see what was our sweet products…

• DrCR

Personally I’d be glad if we dropped the QWERTY along with the caps lock.

• Flying Fox

HDD is still required as long as our internet connection is still so pathetic and expensive with ridiculous caps. This whole cloud thing will hit that wall soon enough.

We’ll see who wins out, the telco/content mafiaa or the consumers.

• Krogoth

Cloud computing = terminal computing with a new label.

It will never take off for so many reasons.

There’s a reason why personal computing is mainstream, while terminal computing remained in the enterprise arena.

The entire thing is another way for certain interests to cram “trusted” computing down our throats.

• ronch

Agreed. Considering how cheap computing power is nowadays, why would you want to make your life difficult and run your word processor or Crysis off some unknown location elsewhere? This ‘cloud’ hype is stupid, impractical in many cases, and just makes marketing people look utterly stupid. These guys just wanna prove they’ve got brains, which they don’t.

• poulpy

q[

• Krogoth

You clearly do not understand the problem.

Cloud computing -[

• poulpy

q[

• Krogoth

Again, you do not understand why terminal computing never became mainstream. Computing power and bandwidth costs wasn’t the problem. It is data intergry and loss of “user privacy” and control. You are putting your data in the hands of a third party.

I guess you expect average joe to be perfectly happy when his personal collection of vauable data gets erased or hijack, but has no local copy on hand. Because, this will happen under a cloud computing environment. I am sure Google or whoever will waver any damages in their EULA.

I am sure that you would be happy that third party provider is going to snoop around your data and sell to ad companies and such. You would be most pleased when certain people find out about undesirable things about you. You thought the current butthurt over Wikileak non-sense was bad. You haven’t seen nothing yet if cloud comptuing takes off.

What is the advantage of cloud computing to mainstream crowd? Portability? Accessibility? I believe there already of a number of solutions that fill these needs. Some of them do not require “third-party” interests.

The only real benefactors in mainstream “cloud computing” are certain interest who see it as an opportunity to cram more elaborate DRM and watchdog schemes.

• poulpy

Dude you’re so far out there it’s not even possible to debate with you, you’re locked down in your beliefs, don’t read because you know /[

• Krogoth

SMB and most businesses don’t use or rely on “cloud computing”, they use VPNs and Intranets. There is a difference. They cannot depend their entire operations on a third-party who may or may not able to handle catastrophic failure when it counts.

The only people who are pushing forth cloud computing are data-miners and subscription-based types. They see it as the next cash cow and are suckering in people who do not understand the issues with cloud computing until it hits them.

• etana

the first thing i do with a new keyboard is pop off the capslock and insert keys with a credit card or screwdriver. They both drive me nuts when i hit them accidentally. It’s pretty simple to toggle them on when needed with a pen. (like when setting “run” on oblivion”).

Software can easily convert from sentence to upper to lower case. We’ve been using paragraph styles to preset mixed case text as uppercase for years. That way it can be stored correctly and formatted as needed.

• dpaus

There are also lots of software utilities that would fix your problem without requiring physical mutilation of your keyboard.

• etana

The keys pop right back on, no mutilation necessary (not that i’ve never been tempted).

• flip-mode

I hope AMD gets aggressive with pricing on the 6900s. 570 performance for $299 would be kickass.

• curls

nope, will be at least 399… 299 would cannibalize their 68xx line.

• OneArmedScissor

He said 570 performance for $299, not give the 6970 away for that much. :p

They kind of have to do that. It’s not like they can sell a 570 equivalent for $399 after the 570 has already been around. Even $350 would be silly, unless the 6950 is faster, which is doubtful.

I could see something like $325 and $400. I don’t think they’d do smaller jumps in between models than already exist between the 6850 and 6870, which kind of rules out $300…that is, unless there’s a price drop coming!

• plasticplate

I share the same dream too, but unfortunately, thats what it will be… a dream. Remember a couple of years back when AMD came out with 48XX series and there was cut throat pricing…kinda miss that. But if i can find a 6970 for ~ 350, i’ll snag it. Thinking of purchasing the GTX570 anyways…

• flip-mode

I’m thinking of a GTX 570 too, and I am pretty hateful of Nvidia. But it’s a darn fine card. The problem is: not enough games to put it to good use. I’ve already played Metro 2033 on a Radeon 5770 and it looked and played darn good at the settings I used. I’m wondering what good use I could make of something as powerful as the GTX 570.

Anyway, yeah, I’d rather get a Radeon to support a company I don’t have so much disdain for.

• plasticplate

While i dont hate any company i try to buy the card that offers the best value for the money while being relatively future proof. $350 is a bit more on the expensive side for GPU as far as i am concerned, but i wont upgrade for another 2 years and for a 1080p resolution i think the 570 offers great performance right now. But like i said, if the 69XX cards provide better performance at that price point, i’ll jump for that.

• JustAnEngineer

Simple enough: Upgrade to a 2560×1600 monitor.

• anotherengineer

Indeed. I guess if you waited another 2 months you could probly get a 5850 for less than 200.

ยง[<http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161330&cm_re=radeon_5850-_-14-161-330-_-Product<]ยง On sale for 205 cnd this weekend, and should be dropping even more. I was thinking of upgrading the vid card but the 4850 exceeds my needs for now. I guess if I was real cheap I could buy another 4850 for 100 bucks and xfire them. But I think I will save up 250 bucks for an SSD to see what the big deal is.

Yeah, I don’t think I’d miss the capslock key. Occasionally I find myself using it but more often than not I hit it by mistake.

• dpaus

Miss it?!? I’d flat-out rejoice at it’s death.

• flip-mode

FWIW, the entire building architecture industry uses CAP for noting construction drawings. I think the industry could probably adjust. However, I’m also guessing that if the key itself disappeared there would still be some other way to enable it.

• RickyTick

Maybe a double-tap of the Shift key could be Caps Lock. Can I patent that?

• dpaus

Why? It’s probably a hang-over from manual draughting (did you catch my sly nod to National Lager Day there?), where block caps were easier/faster to write. Police & Fire-Rescue dispatchers have the same bad habit. Unfortunately, as several reading-comprehension tests have shown, READING ALL CAPS IS MORE DIFFICULT AND THUS SLOWER AND MORE PRONE TO COMPREHENSION ERRORS than ‘regular’ upper/lower text. It also looses considerable formatting flexibility. It’s a bad habit that is looooonnnnggggg past it’s ‘best before’ date.

• Buzzard44

Um, the original text based version of Oregon Trail requires you to type “BANG!” really fast when you go hunting. Having to hold down Shift while typing that would severely slow me down, and I’d never kill any prey, and I’d starve on the Oregon Trail.

Long story short – you take away my Caps Lock key and I starve to death out on the trail.

• anotherengineer

I think I am more of an ale man myself ๐Ÿ˜€

• OneArmedScissor

Boring beer day is boring. I think the only “lager” I ever really liked was a homebrewed Samichlaus…except it fermented at room temperature. That was yummy, but I can’t get the real deal here.

• sweatshopking

+1! alcohol is for chumps!