Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls sequels revealed

Ronald already caught these in the ‘bread, but hey, it’s not often two high-profile role-playing games are announced at pretty much the same time. In fact, the Spike TV Video Game Awards show on Saturday was the stage for a number of other high-profile unveilings. I can’t be the only one thinking these two are the most exciting, though.

Here’s the very cinematic debut trailer for BioWare’s Mass Effect 3:

And here’s Bethesda Softwork’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, in all its epic goodness:

As Shacknews points out, the next chapter in the Elder Scrolls series is due November 11, 2011 (get it?), while Mass Effect 3 will be out some time during the next holiday season. The site predicts a cross-platform release for the former, and according to the folks at Joystiq, the next Mass Effect will definitely hit the PC and consoles simultaneously.

Too bad both trailers look to be pre-rendered, so we have no idea of, you know, how the games actually look. Rock, Paper, Shotgun does report that Skyrim will be based on a whole new engine, however—I have my fingers crossed for some fresh DirectX 11 eye candy. Of course, the fact that both of these games are still tailored for current-gen consoles would seem to preclude any kind of proper graphical trailblazing like we saw with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

• jackaroon

“Holiday 2011” Hopefully they mean Easter, or President’s day.

• GrimDanfango

l[

• EsotericLord

Different strokes for different folks. I find the dialog and quests to be very entertaining. The graphics were very nice for when the game was released, and the combat was fun as well.

TES 3 Morrowind takes the cake as my most played and most favorite Western RPG of all time though. Oblivion was merely “dumbed down” Morrowind.

But hey, if you hate the graphics, dialog, combat, and storyline, dont buy the game.

I have to say I disagree about people “later realizing it was crap.” While someone may tell you it was overrated, out of the dozen or so people I know that put a fairly decent amount of time into Oblivion, all of them would still say today that it was a good game.

• yogibbear

It was EPICALLY overrated. The game was completely rubbish until you installed a bunch of mods. Vanilla Oblivion = 6/10. Modded oblivion = 9/10.

• Wintermane

skyrim will not use the id engine its using an engine bethesda made in house. As for ob sucking… remember alot of the problem with ob was they listened to a bunch of people who played warrior characters and wanted constant ..challenge.. thus the god awful autoleveling system. They sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo know not to do that ever again…
    betheada rarely repeats big clusterbleeps … tho they do have a kack for inventing alot of new ones.

• yogibbear

ME3 will be amazing.

TES V has a lot to prove to get my vote as at the moment i think it will be a huge failure. Oblivion was pretty crap without installing a tonne of mods to remove all the “features”. Morrowind/Daggerfall were the bomb. So… let’s hope they do something… though going with the shapeshifting dragons now is risky considering we had Dragon Age and Dragon Knight Saga this year.

• kvndoom

Man I tried to get into Oblivion SO many times, and just kept uninstalling it. It really was screwed up how you got punished for leveling up. I got sick of reading tutorials and downloading mods, so I sold it. Damn shame too, cause it was a beautiful game.

• Krogoth

Shepard

• DrDillyBar

heh

• willyolio

VGA? These videos are not 640×480.

• DrDillyBar

ME3? Nice timing, I’ve been playing ME1 and ME2 quite a bit lately.

• Thrashdog

A double-whammy! I hope nobody needs to talk to me, or have me show up to work or anything between Mid-November and New Year’s Eve of next year.

• Bensam123

Is it just me or is the Elder Scrolls trailer hard to follow and wasn’t all that amazing?

• ltcommander.data

DX11 eye-candy? I’m wondering whether Elder Scrolls V is using id Tech 5 for some OpenGL 4.x eye-candy.

I certainly think it should be – iD’s engines are part of why Zenimax bought them in the first place. That should be a good cost savings.

• ClickClick5

It may use the Gamebro again, though, the ID engine would be really lovely. Hope the game will allow user made goodness!

• SecretMaster

IDtech 5 will not be used for ES: V

• Jigar

I had not read the news before watching the video, but how i wish this was in game graphics in ME-3…

• anotherengineer

I am still waiting for a Chrono Trigger Sequel, or at least a remake of the original for PC or something to take advantage of today’s hardware.

I tried running it the other day on snes9x on w7pro x64 and the emulator crashed, I think I can plug in the snes into the hdtv???

Yeah, and not Chrono Cross, either. Man that was a terrible game.

• BlackStar

Use bsnes!

I’ve been a ZSNES fan since the DOS days, playing on a Pentium 166MMX. It’s a spectacular emulator.

• BlackStar

I’ve also been using zsnes since the DOS days (P200 non-MMX) but it’s fallen quite behind the times nowadays.

Bsnes actually offers 100% emulation accuracy (exactly 3 games with known issues), shaders and superior sound. Zsnes is closer to 90% and has known problems in timing, sound and compatibility (sound is by far the weakest point), but its UI is both iconic and polished and has much lower system requirements. It was the best emulator at its heyday but it’s now about half a decade out of date.

Oh, huh. Guess I just quit paying attention to the SNES emu scene. Didn’t realize that there was still stuff out there improving. I’ll check bsnes out.

edit: no full-screen mode?

• sweatshopking

chronotrigger? really? you know that whole game is about the robot admitting that he’s in love with that red haired guy. I beat it, on snes, thought it was pretty good, but not amazing. I would play a sequel that didn’t suck. I don’t know if japan is capable of making rpg’s that arent crap anymore…..

• BlackStar

Persona 4 was quite good, quite good indeed.

• kamikaziechameleon

Elder scrolls!!!

Mass Effect!!!

at the end of the day I think the one title I’m most excited for is Deus Ex, the new extended trailer is amazing. I do like how the mass effect story has been building so epicly.

• sweatshopking

i LOVE deus ex. if three is any good, i’ll be buying it!

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m pretty positive I’m buying, just for the visuals and music. If the game doesn’t suck I’ll love it.

• indeego

DE II sucked hard. I want a remake of System Shock I & IIg{<.<}g

• kamikaziechameleon

Ion storm isn’t making this one. I’m thinking there is some real potential.

• sweatshopking

I’m skeptical that it will be a new engine…. Bethesda has mentioned that they’d use the rage engine, and rage isn’t out yet… though, it will be out first… If they’re using a new engine, rage’s will be what it is…

• odizzido

The first ME is great and one of my favourite games, the second is crap and I don’t like it. I will still give the third a chance since it is bioware but I am not optimistic.

• moshpit