PC gamers first to unlock new Battlefield map

The Battlefield franchise cut its teeth on the PC, which remains the best platform for first-person shooters. However, recent chapters have also been available on consoles, setting the state for a little indirect competition. In the latest Bad Company 2: Vietnam expansion pack, developer DICE included a bonus Operation Hastings map set to unlock after gamers completed an aggregate 69 million “team actions.” Those actions include helpful tasks like repairing equipment, healing teammates, and distributing ammunition.

DICE has been tracking team actions by platform, and according to The Escapist, PC gamers have just reached the unlock threshold—well ahead of their console counterparts. Console versions of the Vietnam expansion pack came out a little later than the PC release, but DICE didn’t start counting events until all three were out. The console folks are still way behind, though. The latest stats show Xbox 360 users at around 40 million team actions, while their PlayStation counterparts just crossed the 30-million mark.

Although I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions based on those results, it’s nice to see PC gamers mopping the floor with console users. Team actions are no doubt easier to complete when you’re not fiddling with dual analog thumbsticks. Now, if only they’d let PC users face off against console gamers on the same battlefield. Thanks to Slashdot for the tip.

• zdw

Unlocked for everyone now:

“The Community Challenge was won by the PC players who managed to reach the 69 million mark first of all three platforms.

But, since we want to start this new year with a big of a bang as we ended it, we are enabling Operation
    Hastings for the PS3 and Xbox 360 as of today!”

from: §[<http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/<]§

• BobbinThreadbare

I can’t believe the over-reaction to a little friendly smack talk here.

• sigher

Due to the inaccuracy of the console input devices the console versions always have auto-aim to help the experience, so for that reason alone you cannot mix the two when you are using achievement award systems, the console players would both have a disadvantage and an advantage depending on the moment.

• EsotericLord

Holy friggin crap, a hate filled article followed by hate filled comments.

Did the new layout turn everyone into children? Are we 12 year olds in a school yard arguing about who is cooler? Am I the only one here appaled not only by the wording of this article, but also by the responses here?

I have an Xbox 360 and a gaming PC, and I enjoy them both. I play lots of my shooters on my xbox. Co-op is a lot easier ( a matter of, “heres a controller” over “bring your whole PC over and set it up), all my friends with an xbox have a mic (not so with my PC friends), and theres more co op friendly games that my girlfriend can get into as compared to my PC.

On the other hand I like my PC for the modifications, and the mouse/keyboard support.

For what its worth, BF 1943 was my introduction to the BF games (I had just never bothered to pick one up before hand) and that isnt even out on PC. I tried to play BC2 on the PC, couldnt configure the controls the way I wanted, so ended up picking it up for the Xbox, and its boatloads of fun.

I’m still playing with people, and supporting the developer, so what is with all this hate towards us?

Not that you care Geoff, but this is the most disgusting offical article ive read on this site during my 2+ years of near-daily visitation.

• sigher

Yes you are the only one, and it has to do with the bad acid you apparently took because you are seeing things.

• EsotericLord

Hm, lettme try my hand at this then.

it’s nice to see white gamers mopping the floor with black users.

Change PC to white and console to black, and is it still an ok comment?

Discrimination is discrimination regardless of its form.

• Dashak

This situation is not equivalent to racism – it’s just friendly competition.

• trinibwoy

It’s not discrimination against console gamers. It’s just retribution for all the silly jabs at PC gaming. Franchises born and bred on the PC like CoD and BF have been swallowed by console popularity and hurt PC versions in the process. This little competition just goes to show that the PC is still a superior FPS platform although it has lost the marketing and popularity battle.

I don’t think it’s just the platform though. I have to assume PC gaming isn’t as popular with younger, less mature folk so it would be natural to see less teamwork on consoles. Can’t corroborate the source but saw these numbers elsewhere, assists per hour on the PC is miles ahead of the console versions:

Global PC Statistics
          TOTAL TIME PLAYED (HRS) 89,704,314
          TOTAL RESUPPLIES 317,408,208
          TOTAL REPAIRS 161,786,600
          TOTAL REVIVES 192,534,824
          TOTAL SPOTS 85,699,416

• BobbinThreadbare

If that’s how you interpreted this article, I think you have serious problems.

Geoff’s comment is more akin to rooting for a sports team or your own nation in the Olympics than racism.

• sacker

Why is it that pc nerds have so much malice towards console jocks? Did console jocks throw pc nerd into his locker maybe? Or maybe pc nerd’s girlfriend was out sleeping with all the console jocks while he was playing in his basement perhaps?

Please be gentle as you skewer me 🙂

• zdw

I tend to think the malice is pretty much: “Why would I want to buy a 3-5 year out of date closed hardware box I can’t use otherwise, with a control system I don’t like, when I can use the PC I already have?” , the counterpoint being “Why would I want to patch software, upgrade, maintain and otherwise pour money into a PC that may require some new part that costs more than a console to get running right with a new game, when I just want to play?”.

PC Pros: You can upgrade the machine. You can run with better graphics settings. You can customize your human/computer interface, with custom button mappings, keyboard/mouse/joystick/controller/etc. which can be more accurate than a console controller. No special services required to play online.

Console Pros: Upgrading, patching, and compatibility issues tend to be nonexistent or minor at best – it tends to just work. Built in online voice chat. Hooked up to the biggest screen in the house already.

Personally, I play the console version as most of my friends are console gamers (xbox 360), and I like avoiding the “>$200 upgrade of the year” slog to keep a gaming PC current. I work almost exclusively from laptops, which to get a gaming capable one often requires considerable tradeoffs in terms of size/battery life. Not having to fiddle with the system when I just want to play a game is remarkably nice.

YMMV. If most of my friends were on PC, I’d probably switch.

• ShadowTiger

PC Pros: Games are moddable

It’s a religion to alot of PC gamers. This is all they have to live for.

• StuG

Really, since all games have to run off of console hardware, you don’t have to spend $200 every year to keep it up to date. That’s just if you want to keep it really good. In reality, you could buy a decent graphics card everytime a console released and be pretty good until, well the next console.

• Sargent Duck

Agreed 100% Bought my Core 2 duo system with 4850 back in 2008. Performance wise, haven’t upgraded it since (more hard drives don’t count) and I’ve been playing all the latest games without a problem.

And regarding patching on the PC? (post #36). I think Steam has taken care of that (and other services like EA’s version of Steam)

• paulWTAMU

While I agree with the thrust of his comment this is true. I only recently upgraded my GPU from an 8800GT…that came in in 07. I upgraded late ’10. That’s not a 200 upgrade every two years…

• Legend

This bit of info reminded me of a humorous snippet from a video I seen from the escapist magazine website containing, “dirty console gaming peasants” and “glorious PC gaming master race”.

§[<http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher<]§

• SPOOFE

The reason is obvious: PC gamers are insecure. It’s clear by the tone of the article, let alone the silly “we mop fwoor wif youse!” wannabe-machismo talk spewing from the clowns. 😀

• PenGun

Certainly the flood of crap that is console games have hurt PC gaming immensely. It makes me insecure and angry.

I’d love some console fools to punish for this.

• Dissonance

Yes, the Xbox 360 in my living room makes me feel deeply insecure–when I’m playing first-person shooters with the controller. I feel much more secure with the superior speed, accuracy, and programmability of a keyboard and mouse.

• Kurotetsu

Whenever the subjects of ‘PC’ and ‘Console’ come up in the same article, its safe to expect a trollish response from SPOOFE.

But I really have to know, where does all your hatred for PC gaming come from? I mean, did a bunch of PC gamers pants you in elementary school? Are responses like this this some sort of adolescent and futile attempt to get back at them?

• plasticplate

Console gamers know that PC is a superior platform to game on (no offense, just a fact). Its much easier to control anything on PC. And its almost impossible playing RTS and RPG’s on consoles. So most of the AAA titles for RTS and RPG’s dont even bother releasing on console. Maybe thats where the envy comes from. I would just love a chance to go against some console gamers in FPS action in games like ut3. Would be so awesome

Yeah, I tend to agree. I mean, right now 100% of my gaming is split about 80/20 between my PC and my iPod Touch, and I find myself embarrassed for alot of the people making these comments. Like, “wow, really?” They define themselves by their PCs.

• ColdMist

Another idea for PC vs console.

Let the PC noobs go after the console players, and after X number of kills, then they can play against other PC players. Training mode. Step up to the big boys after that 😉

I love the onslaught mode idea though. That would be great!

• sigher

I think calling people using a platform that was there decades earlier ‘noobs’ is a bit of a misnomer.
      Add to that the statement “Console versions of the Vietnam expansion pack came out a little later than the PC release” and it’s clear you need to think of another putdown than noobs.
      Also the word noobs is so pre-1990 really, but I guess that’s just a view.

• Pizzapotamus

No, he’s not calling PC players noobs in general. He’s saying have those PC players who are new start by slaughtering console users and then move them up to the real game against other PC players.

• BRiT

The reason why is obvious … The consoles gamers are busy playing all the other games they have available whereas the PC gamers don’t have as many games available so they’re all busy playing DICE’s expansion pack.

This would be more useful info if they included the number of unique gamers on each platform.

• geekl33tgamer

I’m surprised no one has flamed you for that. Still, I wait in hope that someone will be along in a sec to do just that.

Oh, wait a sec…

• sigher

That actually makes a bit of sense to me, I do think console players might flit about more.
      You’d have to do some research to be sure though.

• paulWTAMU

fail troll?

I have something like 20 games on my PC, ranging from shooters to RPGs (Modern Warfare, New Vegas, Civ 5, AvP, Tropico 3, World of Goo…)
      No one on any platform is hurting for games right now.

• PenGun

I am starting to develop a real hatred for consoles and what they have done to video games.

Yes please please let me at the console players. I’ll buy the stupid game, I don’t like the toy shooters much, just to feast on console players.

• Meadows

I wonder why 69 of all the possible numbers.

• SomeOtherGeek

So that SSK will feel good?

• sweatshopking

that doesn’t make me feel good. Just reminds me of all the things I miss out on… 🙁

• zdw

Probably a reference to 1969, which was near the height of the fighting IRL.

• slash3

They could try some novelty matches, like a “last stand” kind of map with 12 PC players vs hordes of console users. That might actually work, and it’d be hilarious.

• lethal

I was actually thinking the same thing, something like a all human L4D =p.

• geekl33tgamer

LOL – You will need 12 PC Players Vs. 120 Console Gamers to make it challenging. Anything less would be a walk in the park!

• TREE

And who was it that said PC gaming is dieing and has no market potential. I think a lot of game devs have been brain washed by the Microsoft marketing machine…

• OneArmedScissor

Or maybe, just maybe, there is no conspiracy and they actually just like making more money by having more options.

This is the video game industry, not the PC video game charity.

• TREE

I agree entirely, however there is no reason to neglect the PC game market and spout nonsense like piracy being rampant on the PC only. Also its not a conspiracy, that of which I mentioned is the repeated argument used by many game developers on Gamasutra. If you don’t believe me I would suggest you do some research before trying to discredit my post.

• BobbinThreadbare

Gaming is becoming multiplatform != PC gaming is dying.

Loads of people keep predicting that consoles will “kill” PC gaming. It’s tiresome and leads to some backlash.

• Barbas

Don’t expect PC vs. Console to happen any time soon, at least for FPS games. Several companies have already tried and tested with audiences and PC gamers wiped the floor with the console dudes, not because they are better but simply because dual analog sticks is just no match for WASD + Mouse.
    Maybe on racing/simulation games, I think it’s already been tried (NFS?)

• burntham77

This is true, and its not a “we hate console gamers” thing. I love plenty of console games, but for accurate and fast aiming, the human hand simply functions better with the entire hand on the house instead of using the thumbs. Its just simple physiology.

• SPOOFE

Pff, PC gaming rewards no-life losers that do nothing but master their twitch-shooting. It’s no fun to play with what are essentially robots that can place pixel-perfect headshots at a hundred yards in a tenth of a second. It’s not realistic, it’s not fun, and it ruins the game. Maybe that’s why PC gaming has become such a niche.

Similarly, using thumbsticks is also not realistic, but it also helps negate the “spend ten hours a day doing nothing but play game” type.

• PenGun

I’m no bot. It takes me at least a half second to get lined up and another half to zero in the headshot.

Yeah I guess you are right, we are just too good for you.

• SonicSilicon

I’d call myself a competent PC FPS player at best, but even I don’t feel comfortable with the vast majority of console FPS shooters. While I do prefer keyboard and mouse (trackball, actually) and can pull off those 6-frame headshots at times, it’s infrequent, so I’m probably in the bottom half of players. There just is simply that much more precision and responsiveness compared to the typical console title

Those games are deliberately hamstrung to accommodate a wide margin of wear and alignment in gamepads as well as lower framerates. It so happens to have broadened the audience further than the lowered bar of entry price. PC FPS, for a long time, gave advantages to those with costlier hardware. That gap has diminished greatly due to consolitis and a greater focus on media consumption in the home computer market. Those who learned on console FPS games don’t know what they’re missing out on.

I think a good deal of the stagnation is the method of input. Developers stopped supporting keyboards and mice on consoles due to the general lack of interest from players and that it gave such an advantage over those with stock controllers. That limits what gameplay can be designed into any genre. If they can agree on a new, inexpensive standard, perhaps we can slowly move out of the repetitive in FPS design.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’d like to know who you are playing against because I’ve never had that experience.

• bcronce

The whole point of FPS style games is to see who is best. If you’re worried about realism, you should complain about having infinite energy to run, pop 100 yard headshots with a pistol and manage to take a bullet to the foot and keep running with “1%” hp left or even… GASP… coming back to life (respawning)

Again, FPS games are about competition, who has honed their abilities better, not “lets dumb it down until random button mashing allows any person to be best”.

I understand why consoles do so well, they lower the entry point for skill and normalize skill; this is very appealing since consoles are great fun for “gather your friends and try out this new game, PIZZA PARTY!!!!”

I guess I would compare consoles vs WSAD+mouse with State Track vs Olympics Track. Both groups can have very good people, but one group makes skill stand out much more than the other.

• henfactor

It’d be awesome, what’s stopping devs from opening that up?

• satanobastard

Because we’d mop the floor with them and they won’t want to play anymore :p

• geekl33tgamer

Fine by me!

• mikehodges2

“Now, if only they’d let PC users face off against console gamers on the same battlefield”

Yes yes yes! It should be an unlockable achievement too. I can see it now..

“Congratulatons, you’ve fragged 1 million players. Here’s access to the PS3 servers. Enjoy :)”

• bcronce

Actually, Microsoft did a silent test with one of the Halos, where they allowed xbox and PC players on the same servers, but neither knew.

Tracking statistics showed even a slightly skilled PC player could mop the floor with well skilled console players.

• kamikaziechameleon

Yeah I remember reading about that, PCgamer did a piece where they went up against the xbox magazine staff on halo 1 pc and they won handidly. Console gamers are a simpler bread, thats why they like COD over battlefield.

• paulWTAMU

If you accuse someone else of being a simpler “bread” you may have issues of your own.
          I wanted to make a yeast pun but can’t think of one 🙁 In all seriousness, it’s just a controls issue. WASD is more exact.

• Vaughn

Yes I believe the word is destruction!

• ReAp3r-G

I believe the word is total annihilation.

• Dashak

I think we all know what would happen if console gamers faced pc gamers.