Asus shows off a quartet of Eee tablets

This afternoon, in a press conference ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Asus unveiled no fewer than four different tablets that will become available in the coming months. The first to arrive will be the Eee Slate EP121. This 12.1″ system features an IPS panel with a 1280×800 display resolution and support for both stylus and multitouch input. Under the hood, there’s an honest-to-goodness PC based on a Core i5-470UM processor. To that, Asus adds up to 64GB of solid-state storage, as much as 4GB of memory, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, HDMI and USB ports, and an SD card slot.

Asus manages to cram all that into a chassis that measures just 17 mm thick and weighs a little more than 2.5 lbs. As one might expect, the Eee Slate comes equipped with Windows 7. Asus will also be offering a matching Bluetooth keyboard for extended typing sessions, but it doesn’t look like any effort has been made to offer an user interface optimized for multitouch input. Bummer. The EP121 will also be rather expensive, with prices starting at $999.

If that’s too rich for your blood, the Eee Pad Transformer starts at a much more reasonable $399. This one follows a more traditional tablet formula: a Tegra 2 CPU coupled with Android 3.0. The 10.1″ multitouch display has a swanky IPS panel with the same 1280×800 display resolution as the Eee Slate. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are included, as is an HDMI output, an SD card slot, and a docking interface for an optional keyboard. That keyboard purportedly boosts battery life to 16 hours, although there’s no word on how long the Pad will last on its own.

The Transformer is a little smaller than the EP121 and weighs about a pound less. Despite demoing what looked very much like a finished product on stage, the Eee Pad Transformer won’t be available until April. One month later, Asus will release the Eee Pad Slider. This puppy swaps the Transformer’s keyboard dock for an integrated one that slides out fro the back of the system. That looks to be the biggest difference between the two other than pricing, which is $100 higher for the slider.

Should 1280×800 be too many pixels for your tastes, an Eee Pad MeMO is coming in June with a 7″ screen and 1024×600 resolution. The MeMO drops Tegra in favor of a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU, and Asus is sticking with Android 3.0 for the OS. There’s also a extender module that turns the mini-slate into a phone. You can check out pictures of the MeMO, Slider, and Asus’ other Eee tablets in the image gallery below.

• darc

The EP121 is looking like pretty nearly the computer I’ve been waiting for for the last 5 years. Basically, a fast, light tablet with optional bluetooth kb/mouse. Not sure whether the i5-4700UM is quite fast enough for my needs; I’ll need to do some research there. And firewire would have been nice, but I’ll have to move on.

It’s a shame they haven’t done more with multi-touch. Obviously any device-specific edition of Windows is a loaded gun anyway, but if the screen can handly multi-touch, then perhaps applications will be enhanced to better suit the tablet eventually.

Either way, I think this bodes well. I think I see a tablet in my future, finally.

• kamikaziechameleon

I assumed that all 4 had multi touch input…. do they not?

• kamikaziechameleon

No 4G support???

• kamikaziechameleon

I like that the windows one is fully featured, but I’m suprised that didn’t get a slide out keyboard…

I’m sad that the 7 incher drops tegra, kinda makes it useless in my eyes.

The middle two are more attractive, a sliding keyboard could be amazing, I’d need to get my hand on one of them to try it out.

• TaBoVilla

What? when they mention the 7 incher drops Tegra2 for a 1.2Ghz snapdragon, they are talking new Dual-core Scorpion cortex A8 based, Adreno 220 GPU, 1.2Ghz CPU cores, which are nothing to sneeze at. They might not be new A9 designs but supposedly the Adreno 220 inside the scorpion snapdrangon, when coupled with dual channel memory, will be as fast, if not faster than current king SGX540, which in turn the Tegra2 only seams to match.

• wibeasley

I didn’t expect to see an IPS in a 10.1″. Did anyone else see this coming? Will there be a revival of IPSes in laptops?

• Voldenuit

That would be nice. Or maybe (S)AMOLEDs and/or transflective screens. Less important in a laptop than a tablet, but it would still be nice to be able to sit outside on the terrace of the coffee shop and still be able to read your screen.

• Voldenuit

If the pad changes configuration by combining with a separate peripheral, it should be called ‘VOLTRON’, not ‘TRANSFORMER’. 😛

• SomeOtherGeek

Man, when I was reading the first paragraph, the dollar sign kept getting bigger and bigger! Saw the price/weight and I’m thinking WTF?

I like the next one down. Forget Windows. I guess it will take until April for Android 3.0 to come out?

So, you TR’ers going down to CES to keep us on our toes?

• Tumbleweed

Android 3.0, eh? Neat trick, that.

• codedivine

Any word on the digitizer being used in the Eee slate? Wacom?

• ImSpartacus

Yes, it’s Wacom.

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/4085/asus-announces-eee-pad-and-eee-slate-tablets/5[/url<]

• Ricardo Dawkins

[quote]The EP121 will also be rather expensive, with prices starting at $999.[quote]
    I gather that the Air is more expensive aand underpowered than this tablet.

[quote]The Transformer is a little smaller than the EP121 and weighs about a pound less. Despite demoing what looked very much like a finished product on stage, the Eee Pad Transformer won’t be available until April. [quote]
    One word: Honeycomb

• ImSpartacus

The Air also lasts longer on a charge…

Although, I am excited for this sort of product in a mainstream setting. Put it on a kickstand, pair a keyboard & mouse, and plug in an external hard drive. You’re set!

• Voldenuit

My N8 smartphone can be used with a USB keyboard, mouse and act as USB host to hard drives and thumb drives. It also has HDMI out, and weighs 4.75 ounces. Oh, and it doesn’t use a proprietary interface to do this (cough*Apple*cough).

Not that I’m proposing it as a tablet replacement, but I think that’s pretty cool. It can also act as a USB host to any media players or smartphones with MTT/MTP, so you can transfer songs and media without using a computer as an intermediary.

• NeelyCam

LAST! This is too easy.

The fast one looks too heavy. The small one looks too slow. I’ll pass.

• Cannyone

So 2.5 lbs. is too heavy? o.0

For something you’re supposed to hold while using, yes.

I do like the “middle” ones – the Tegra 2 / Android 3.0 devices with the 12″ screen and 1.5 lb weight. That SHOULD be an iPad competitor if the sync software is any good.

• SomeOtherGeek

I lol’ed on the “LAST!” part. You were really getting burned by them thumbers.