Antec Sonata IV, One Hundred cases debut

CES β€” Antec had two brand-new enclosures to show us when we visited its booth at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier today. The first was a new iteration of the popular Sonata case, the Sonata IV:

The Antec Sonata IV looks a lot like its predecessors, but it departs form them in several key ways. The intake fan has moved to the right side, while the bundled power supply is now a 620W Neo Eco 620OC model, and a pair of USB 3.0 ports have appeared on the front bezel. As you can see in the gallery below, lifting the side panel also reveals redesigned internal storage bays. Two compartments, one atop the other, each contain a pair of hard drives laid on their side and fastened with two removable brackets (which, thankfully, still have rubber grommets to isolate hard-drive vibration). A 2.5″ solid-state drive can also be strapped to the top hard-drive compartment, facing the motherboard.

The new Sonata looks as slick as ever, and USB 3.0 support alongside a more powerful PSU should be welcome additions for sure. Those goodies come at a premium, though. Newegg, which has just started listing the case, charges $169.99 for itβ€”and that’s actually 30 bucks less than the suggested retail price Antec gave us.

Folks with shallower pockets might be more interested in the new One Hundred case, which launched with a less intimidating $60 MSRP (and is already available for that amount at Newegg).

The One Hundred takes after the popular Three Hundred, offering a no-frills design with a good number of enthusiast amenities. This particular model has a cut-out in the motherboard backplate for the CPU socket, some cable-routing holes, holes that can be punched out for liquid-cooling pipes, and an upside-down layout that places the PSU at the bottom. I believe Antec will be shipping the One Hundred with dual 120-mm fans (one at the top and one at the rear). Really, that sounds pretty good for the price, especially considering the roomy interior with space for six hard drives and the fact that Antec slaps a generous four USB 2.0 ports on the front panel.

Still now cable routing holes in the Sonata? I can’t tell from the angle, but the current Sonata III, Elite, and Proto have no routing holes which to me makes them unattractive.

edit: nope, definitely no routing at the top, looking at the pics on Newegg. The two little holes beside the motherboard are probably not meant for it either.

OK, Newegg lists the PSU for the Sonata IV separately, and it’s $70. So it’s $100 for the case? You can do MUCH better for $100. Heck, you could get a Sonata Proto if you don’t need USB3 and save $40 for the same basic look.

• anotherengineer

I have owned about 5 sonata’s now, currently with my modded III. The usb 3.0 is nice, however I like the III HDD mounting better, except they should have about 6 hdd slots, like the Fractal case. They should also put a small icon or something for the front mic and speaker jack. Also the leds, power = green and hdd = red or yellow, and make them protrude just enough so I can see them without looking head on.

The bar, after so long you think they could have made a rear adaptor psu plate so one could pull the psu if needed when the system is together.

Obviously they care more about making 1 penny then “making it right”

And it still has 7 rear slots 😐 the lian-li below has 8 which is nice for future mobo’s with a pcie16x at the bottom, be a good place for the vid card.

My next case will probably be a lian-li or a Fractal
    I like this one, but maybe put a black fan up front [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112249[/url<] or [url<]http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53537&vpn=DEFINE%2DR3%2DBLACK&manufacture=Fractal%20Design[/url<] I do like the mobo tray open behind the cpu, good idea especially for aftermarket coolers, another thing the sonata is still lacking. I guess I will be waiting for the Sonata 5, hurry up Antec and just do it.

• Sargent Duck

I LOVE my Sonata III, best case ever in my humble opinion. it’s stylish without being gowdy, and it looks like it belongs beside your dvd player/set tv (although it is a tad big). That side fan though? fail. Looks ugly.

• flip-mode

I consider myself a huge fan of the Sonata cases. The Sonata III is the happiest I’ve ever been with a case. It’s handsome without being gaudy or trendy or outrageous. It’s well proportioned and well enough appointed. It’s drive trays are thoughtfully designed. The single thing that I don’t like about it is the handle to open the side of the case projects from the side’s surface so that two cases cannot be flushed together, but that is such a small issue.

All that being said, I cannot say I appreciate anything I see in this new Sonata. I don’t like the fact that Antec has gone to so much effort to redesign the drive bays rather than using that energy to instead make some very thoughtful and nuanced tweaks to what was already a very robust design. I don’t like the side fan since it would be completely negated if the case were placed next to another case or next to a wall or desk or box or anything – the front of the case is pretty much the perfect place for an intake fan and that would have been yet another minor tweak the the design rather than spending all the effort to put it on the side where it makes less sense. Beyond that the price is completely unjustified, in my opinion. Too bad Antec.

That One Hundred is ugly, by the way. Why do I want that… potato chip tray or soup bowl on top? And why is the power button a diamond? Something wrong with round? Not that it’s a big deal. I’m just venting now because I’m mad about the Sonata, but a diamond shaped power button is still stupidville. And so is the salad dish on top of the case. Hell, there’s not even a circulation killing bit fenix handle hidden in that punch bowl.

• NeXus 6

People used to use CR-ROM trays as cup holders, so maybe Antec thought it would better to use the top of the case for a food tray. lol

• Johnny5

The intake area on the Sonata is big, but it seems like after that the air has to go through a long, narrow, winding path through the case. I don’t like the new look either, and the case is where looks actually matter.

I wish modular power supplies were cheaper and more common. It’s not a big deal to me, but it just seems like it shouldn’t be so expensive to implement.

• Voldenuit

Yes, the airflow on the Sonata IV looks suspect. Not only does the air have to pass through the HDD cage, onto the other side of the case and only then into the main motherboard area, it’ll have to have some insane negative pressure to do that, so that case will be a major dust magnet. Assuming the airflow works as intended and it doesn’t just become an hotbox for your components.

Fail. And I don’t say that of many Antec cases, which are usually soundly designed.

EDIT: Hm… there seems to be an intake fan on the right panel which is not shown in the gallery, but that still doesn’t make sense of the cooling situation, as the left intake mesh would then be ineffectual. Unless it’s an exhaust port (also mystifying).

• phez

I can’t believe they still have that god damned metal bar near the top of the case. It makes everything so god damned hard to get inside the case – PSU, motherboard, heatsink. Bad antec, bad!

• Flying Fox

That bar is for structural integrity. Without it the case can kind of wobble.

I think I remember the Sonata III debuted at around ~$150 (or may be a bit more), so this means the new side cut out with the fan grill costs like $50 more to make MSRP $200? Definition of gouge. 😐

• JoJoBoy

I’d pay a fair amount more for the 620W psu over the dated 500w the Sonata III has.

• continuum

perhaps… but 620W is pretty insane given most people’s boxes don’t break 300W-400W of actual draw (and even that’s a lot), and $199 MSRP? Yikes!

• Corrado

A good 500+W p/s is $80+, while a nice case even without a p/s is usually 90+. Its not so much of a gouge really.

• anotherengineer

True.

However, when I can get an Sonata III on sale for $100 CND with the 500W earthwatts psu included, 199 does seem like a shaft, although I am sure e-tailers will have cheaper prices than 199 though.

• w00tstock

Heh I got a sonata III for $49. Some how I don’t think this case, even with the psu is worth what I paid for my 800d

• phez

or, they could have gotten rid of it all together and moved the psu to the bottom