Two Mini-ITX Sandy Bridge motherboards coming from Gigabyte

The low power consumption, improved integrated graphics component, and updated peripheral payload of Intel’s Sandy bridge processor platform is particularly well-suited to the diminutive Mini-ITX form factor. As one might expect, there were numerous midget motherboards on display at CES. While visiting with Gigabyte, we saw the GA-H67N-USB3, a successor to the company’s award-winning GA-H55N-USB3.

Like its H55-based predecessor, the H67 model has full-size DIMM slots, USB 3.0 connectivity, a slew of video output options, dual S/PDIF audio outs, and a PCI Express x16 slot that can accept graphics or other peripheral cards. There’s only one catch: Intel doesn’t allow multiplier-based CPU overclocking with H67 chipsets. H67 boards are free to tweak the clock speed of Sandy Bridge’s integrated GPU, but you’ll need a P67 chipset to fiddle with the CPU cores. This is true even for fully unlocked K-series CPUs, putting a bit of a damper on shoebox-sized gaming rigs.

Fortunately, Gigabyte has more than one Mini-ITX motherboard in the works for Sandy Bridge. A P67-based model is on the way that will drop the display outputs in favor of CPU overclocking support. Naturally, you’ll need to run a discrete graphics card with that particular model. We don’t have much in the way of additional details on the P67 offering, but the H67 version should be ready by the end of the month.

• Skrying

I liked my H55N-USB3 based system enough that I’ll be building a new mITX box based around Sandy Bridge. The problem as of right now is the poor motherboard selection (nothing new). These new Gigabyte boards sound very interesting but they lack built in WiFi and I wouldn’t mind having EFI either. I’m looking closely to see if Asus releases a board. Until then I might lean towards Zotac’s H67ITX-A-E because of the built in WiFi. But then there’s that whole H67 vs P67 issue.

Painful… so many mATX options but I want smaller!

• internetsandman

For the P67 version they better rearrange the board layout. I had a hell of a time finding a cooler that could fit the H55N without conflicting with the PCIe slot. It’s just a shame that DFI had to disappear from the market (at least it seems like they did), their P55 ITX board was brilliant, you could actually fit a decent cooler onto it. But with this layout, you’d have to go with a case that can support an H50 or H70, and by that point, it’s not really a lanbox anymore.

• SomeOtherGeek

Nice. Curious, is it true that a Z67 (or is it Z66) is coming out that will enable OC with the use of the IGP?

[EDIT]: Oops, my question was answered in the [quote<]Lucid software lets QuickSync video mix with discrete GPU[/quote<] post. It is rumored. Crossing my fingers or maybe skip SB altogether?

• MadManOriginal

It wouldnt surprise me at all if Intel unlocks this with their own software, not display drivers, in the near future. *oops, didn’t realize Lucid is funded by Intel Capital until I read the other TR news piece.

• tay

A bit of a f— you to intel for castrating the H67 this way. They should’ve at least allowed the 4 level turbo boost overclocking that the non-K chips come with. (I’m referring to where non-K chips can run up to 4 speed grades higher).

Too bad AMD isn’t currently competitive in this area.

• mboza

Want the P67 version. And a review with some OC details please too. Ideally in a case with some big GPU rather than an open air bench if possible, before I make a decision to build a mITX gaming box anyway.

• internetsandman

Kind of like what they did for Gigabyte’s last mini-itx board? they should test it in the SG07 again. I’ve never understood the reasoning of testing a mini ITX board in full size towers or open air benches. The thermal results, and therefore the overclocking results, and subsequently overclocked benchmarks, will all be skewed. The whole point of an ITX board is to fit within cramped enclosures, so that’s how it should be tested