New Asus LCD has 24-inch IPS panel, 1920×1200 resolution

As LCD monitors with 6-bit TN panels continue to dominate the landscape, displays with IPS panels have become increasingly scarce. That’s a shame for those of us who are willing to spend a little extra for better viewing angles and color reproduction. Asus says it has a solution for the TN blues in the form of its PA246Q LCD, which features a 24.1″ P-IPS panel that’s said to reproduce 98% of the sRGB color space. According to Asus, the panel has a six-millisecond response time and a 50,000:1 contrast ratio. Seven CCFL backlights provide 400 cd/m² of brightness.

With a 16:10 aspect ratio and 1920×1200 display resolution, the PA246Q serves up more vertical pixels than 1080p LCDs. You can orient those pixels in widescreen or portrait modes, and the stand allows for height, tilt, and swivel adjustments. There’s also a VESA bracket at the rear if you want to mount the display on a monitor arm.

The PA246Q was designed with graphics professionals in mind, and it has a QuickFit overlay scheme that lets users view multiple grids and document sizes with the touch of a button. At the rear, you’ll find numerous display inputs, including DVI, DisplayPort 1.1a, and HDMI 1.3. There’s even a 3.5-mm audio jack to let headphone users tap into HDMI audio that’s being passed to the display.

Asus tells us the PA246Q will be available later this month. The screen is expected to sell for around $500, which sounds about right given the cost of other non-TN displays.

• DarkUltra

Hei, don’t mind if ips/vpa tech trickles down to the cheaper models. Anyway I hope they make a 120hz ips panel soon, the 120hz tn panels have awful vertical viewing angles. 120hz+ips+16:10 is win

yes 120hz makes windows desktop much smoother, just see the reviews of those “3d ready” monitors

• COLORSYNEYE

IPS monitor is design more for industrial usage i.e. Photo Editing, Architectural drafting, that require high color imaging & good color reproduction. TN panel monitor is on the cost saving postion, daily Excel/Word processing that doesn’t require high color constrat. There are different type of IPS panels, beware and know which panel you are getting.

• ambuj_saxena

Of course there is no use of IPS panels for word and excel but having an IPS panel enables high response, high brightness, wide viewing angle and no color change also which are very useful for games and movies…..that’s the reason i have bought a LG cinema 3D TV, which i can use as tv and monitor both….

• Usacomp2k3

While the extra 120 pixels is nice, I’d take a $150 1080p display over this any day. Heck, considering the price, I’d take 3.
    I personally wouldn’t spend any more for an IPS panel. Most people probably couldn’t even tell the difference. A calibrated 6-bit panel is probably going to be more accurate than an out-of-the-box IPS anyway.

• bored_and_agitated

I want one of these 1920×1200 IPS panels so bad, but that price is crazy restrictive. Imma have to make due with a 1920×1080 IPS monitor that costs a little more than half.

• anotherengineer

Nice.

However by the time I have enough money ($500) for an IPS monitor its going to have direct competition from a 1080P 32″ ips/pva TV ( o wait it already does, albiet not 16:10), which I have seen on sale for 400. However they only have a 1yr warranty unlike the typical 3yr warranty monitors usually have.

• designerfx

a 32″ 1080P tv has so much bigger pixels (dpi) that you’d have to view it much further back (read: 7-10 feet plus, probably). a 24″ that has greater than 1080P has substantially better viewing for on a desk where you are 3-5 feet away.

The reason the TV’s so much cheaper is because it’s so much lower quality.

• Kurotetsu

Nice. I do believe this will be my next monitor

• ShadowTiger

This is gonna be my next monitor! (unless i spring for a 30incher)

Everything i ever wanted… now just make it $250 and i’ll buy 2!!

• Vasilyfav

Thank god for a new 1200p monitor. 16:9 belongs in large TVs and projectors.

PC monitors should have as much vertical real estate as possible.

2560*1600 and 1920*1200 ftw!

• kiwik

First time I’m actually interested in a ASUS LCD monitor release.

• bdwilcox

I have an Asus VW266H, my first Asus monitor, and it is fantastic, especially considering how cheap it was.

• Duck

1080 or i’m not interested

• khands

Are you insane?

• Duck

No I’m not, but an insane person never knows that they are insane. 1080 is better for multimedia. If I want more desktop space I would have a 4:3 on the side or something. 16:10 should never have existed.

• bdwilcox

With 1920×1200, video controls show in the black space and don’t intrude on the video while it’s playing.

• Duck

I don’t have media controls on screen when playing video. The black bars are just murky grey distractions that you had to pay extra for.

• bdwilcox

Those murky grey distractions you paid extra for are very handy when working in Word, Excel, Photoshop, etc.

• GrimDanfango

Now, you see the problem here is, you’re confusing a monitor with a television. I’m guessing the majority of people use their monitors a majority of the time for either working on or playing games on, both of which feel slightly less restrictive on a 16:10 display.

Personally I find my 42″ TV tends to make a far better job of films and TV programs than my 24″ monitor does… not so much because it’s a 16:9 aspect, but because it’s in my living room and is much bigger, and has a sofa in front of it.

• Duck

I use the monitor as it does everything. TV is only good enough for TV programs and films. Not good enough for games or anything else.

• MadManOriginal

Well maybe you shouldn’t have gotten a crappy 1920×1200 display that has that much backlight bleed? Or try calibrating it, even if by eye, on one of the ‘calibration sites’ on the web. If you left it at the eye-searing default factory brightness that’s your fault.

p.s. LCDs don’t work best in pure dark rooms anyway, some ambient light is useful and even recommended.

• Duck

I don’t have a crappy 1920×1200. I have a 1080p TN. It’s cheap but LED backlit and decent enough. going from 16:10 to 16:9 was a significant improvement and 1080p feels completely roomy.

• bdwilcox

It is 1080…plus a little extra in the vertical height department. 1080p is 1920×1080; this monitor is 1920×1200. You get extra vertical space for non-video tasks like word processing, spreadsheets, Photoshop, etc.

• Duck

It bugs me more than you can imagine. I just hate it. Worst when trying to watch TV or a film.

• ShadowTiger

If you use a good movie playback program you can add black bars to keep the aspect ratio correct… so you don’t lose anything. The firmware might even have this built in… (though i kinda doubt it)

• Kurotetsu

I know people (my mom) who, for some reason, find black bars to be a distraction. Its not a problem for me because I’m usually too busy watching, doing, or playing something to notice. I guess its just that some people are more easily distracted than others?

• travbrad

Um, most movies aren’t even 16:9 (they are even wider ARs), and still have black bars even on a 1080p display. I guess TV shows are often 1080p though (although again, why not get a….television for that?).

I actually find the bezels somewhat annoying (because they always have a damn glossy/reflective finish on them), but the black bars are just…black bars.

• way2strong

This, this, this. His argument is plain ridiculous, unless you only watch HDTV on the thing you are going to get bars all the time on a monitor regardless of the aspect ratio.

• Duck

I almost never get black bars these days. The only time is when watching old yank shows like Frasier. But even then it’s in a window so no black bars. 16:9 is perfect for 95% of content. 16:10 is perfect for 0% of content. You can’t argue with that. Not in this country anyway.

• Taurus_G4

@Duck if you aren’t interested in IPs/16:10 monitors then why are you even posting here? what makes you the person to speak for the audience that is interested in 16:10? I for one am very much interested in buying this 🙂

• Taurus_G4

• way2strong

If you watch your 16:9 shows in a window on a 16:10 monitor you won’t get any black bars either… My main point was just that the only thing I’m aware of that consistently uses the 16:9 aspect ratio is HDTV. So if you watch any other content like movies or older tv shows full screen you are going to get black bars. Honestly when I watch video I never notice the black bars but they obviously bother you, however I’m curious as to whether you currently have a TN or IPS panel as I would imagine the bars wouldn’t be as distracting on an IPS (although I have a TN so I couldn’t say for sure).

• Kurotetsu

Not a problem, there is absolutely no shortage of 1080p monitors of varying quality (mostly crap, but that’s the same with anything) everywhere you look. You have literally dozens and dozens to choose from.

An IPS, 1920×1200 monitor on the other hand, now that’s something you actually have to look for.

• kamikaziechameleon

That is more than twice as much as their 24 inch 1080p TN panel.

• KoolAidMan

And about 1000000 times better. Fair trade!

• dpaus

1200 lines! Support for portrait orientation! Hallelujah!

• bdwilcox

All monitors have support for portrait mode if you use a third party stand like an Ergotron. The vertical video orientation is determined by the video driver. Even Intel intgrated graphics let you easily rotate the display orientation.

• dpaus

yeah, but software solutions usually flicker badly – hardware solutions don’t

• Usacomp2k3

What? That doesn’t make any sense.

• DancinJack

I’m glad otherr companies are outing IPS displays, but i’ll stick to my Dell.

EDIT: 16:10 ftw.

• ssidbroadcast

Hubba hubba! I’ll take two!