Thermaltake readies $269 Level 10 GT

The original Level 10 case is an impressive technical achievement and a unique sight for sure. Too bad about the $800 price tag and the apparent emphasis on form over function, both of which make it tough to recommend as an enthusiast case. Thermaltake isn’t putting all its chips down on the Level 10, though; at CES, the company unveiled the Level 10 GT, a much more affordable derivative with a similar but more functional design.

Not to be confused with the Level 10 "bored press dude in the background" edition.

The Level 10 GT has a far more reasonable $269 price tag, and it trades the original’s fully compartmentalized design for a somewhat more conventional layout reminiscent of Corsair’s Obsidian 800D, with cable routing at the back. Cooling looks much better, as well, thanks to large top and side fans, plus a number of mesh surfaces. Thermaltake has also added USB 3.0 connectivity in a port cluster at the top of the case.

At the same time, some of the original Level 10’s traits remain, like the handle and the hot-swappable hard drive bays (which have pre-wired Serial ATA power connectors). And the thing is still huge. It’s definitely wider than the Level 10, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it were larger overall. If it’s easier to work in, though, the larger footprint could be a fair tradeoff.

• CheetoPet

Meh, it lost its soul.

• bimmerlovere39

And the P183, 600T, and 650D get even BETTER looking!

• internetsandman

The man in the background of that main image represents about as much interest as I have in this case. If they could just make the original L10 cheaper then I’d buy that. This just looks like a contorted HAF 932. They actually managed to make the L10 shape ugly. The original was absolutely beautiful, but this one is horrid. I hate the addition of all the mesh mainly. Mesh is good on performance rigs, but in my mind the L10 series isn’t meant to be about performance. It’s supposed to be a thing of beauty, of art, and this is none of those things.

• Voldenuit

Meh. Looks rather half-hearted and half-assed.

The original Level 10 was ‘beautiful’ because it emphasized form over function, this looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff.

If the original L10 was a lamborghini (yes, it was designed by BMW), this is a Hyundai, or worse, a Chery.

• Thrashdog

Hey, don’t knock Hyundai. All of a sudden, they’re making really good cars…

The L10 was interesting, because it wasn’t just another prettied-up shoebox. Yeah, it got functionality all wrong, but it makes you wonder, what would a case designed from the ground up for function (cable routing, cooling, acoustical control) actually look like? Unfortunately for Thermaltake and their shot at my PC-building dollars, wrapping the L10 look around yet another shoebox isn’t going to give me the answer to that question.

• BlackStar

It would look like the Antec P182.

Cable routing behind the motherboard? Check.
        Compartmentalization for superior airflow and thermal control? Check.
        Dampening for acoustic control? Check.
        Designed from scratch for cooling and acoustics? Check.
        Beautiful? Check.

Best case *ever*, period.

Edit (links):
        [url<]http://www.silentpcreview.com/article741-page1.html[/url<] [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025[/url<]

• Voldenuit

Yeah, and they’re not afraid to be funky about it (eg Veloster with 1 dr on driver’s side and 2 on passenger side).

Their engines are still not as good as the Mitsubishi plants they’ve replaced, though.

• DereX

While I liked the original level 10 cause it was unique, this is just boring and ugly.

• RickyTick

I like the hanger for the headset, but that’s about it.

• RagingDragon

This is one of the ugliest cases I’ve ever seen. There are many other premium cases I’d very much prefere to this one.

• RagingDragon
    • Forge

So it’s a complete bog standard case, reworked to superficially resemble the Level 10? Why?

In case you wanted to look different, but not actually be any different??

• BlackStar

Eww, fugly!

Not to mention a nightmare from a noise management standpoint. This beast provides multiple paths path for noise to escape – bad!

• alphadogg

Honestly, the “best” case for an enthusiast is those open stations like HSPCs. I have my main system in one, and can swap anything with nary a bump. That above case looks ornate.

• RagingDragon

I need a closed case to keep the cat’s out my computer’s internals.

• anotherengineer

I have said it before and I will say it again, there are things I would rather have such as an ssd or 23″ e-ips monitor for 300 bucks rather than a case.

But I guess there must be a big enough market for them.

Yeah I’m with you. My $90 case upgrade was plenty sufficient for me. CM 690 II Advanced, which was a must because the blue LED can be turned off and the power/HDD LEDs are both tiny, dim, and red. No blue LEDs for me!

• Farting Bob

You know you can turn the LED’s off by just not plugging them in, right? This works for all cases.

CM 690 owner here as well, its a pretty good case, easy to get around in, plenty of fans, can keep your system quiet and cool.

• Sunburn74

a good $250 dollar case, is worth every penny and a good one will completely change your understanding of what a good case is (cue silverstone ft02)

• Voldenuit

Agreed. The L10GT, however, is not a $250 case, whatever Tt may think to the contrary.

• TREE

I think the expression on the face of the guy in the back says it all.

• khands

As goofy as these look I still kind of like them… a little bit.