S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 developer promises untarnished PC release

Well, here’s a refreshing notion: making a game cross-platform without cutting corners on the PC release. While that concept seems entirely foreign to most game development studios, GSC Game World has promised to espouse it with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, which is scheduled for a multi-platform release next year. The Ukrainian studio made its vow in a Q&A session on Facebook, where it stated:

Since we develop primarily on PC, you won’t see any compromises in the PC version. The key difference between the PC and console versions will be the beauty of graphics (meaning PC will offer more of visual effects).

Also, when asked if the PC version’s user interface will "suffer" because of cross-platform development, GSC Game World responded, "No, whatsoever."

Other revelations made during the Q&A: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will have a stronger survival component, a new story, a mix of new and old characters, and a new game engine with DirectX 11 support. And apparently, no, it won’t be any easier to spell.

Now to wait and see if GSC Game World actually keeps its promise. It’s just too bad we’ve gotten to the point where this kind of pledge seems remarkable. The PC really has an awful lot to offer shooters with RPG elements like this, both in terms of graphical fidelity and input precision, yet too many such titles seem to give PC gamers a slightly spruced-up version of the console releases. How about setting the PC experience as a baseline and dumbing down the console versions, instead?

• scribly

I’ll first have to see it before I believe it.
    could also be that it’s NOT dumbed down the same way like supreme commander 2 was NOT dumbed down

I wonder if you can still die in the game, or even save at whatever point you like for that matter

• jthh

“How about setting the PC experience as a baseline and dumbing down the console versions, instead?”
    Amen! Amen! AMEN!
    How apropos considering consoles are running extremely outdated hardware and who wants to line up a headshot with a joystick when we have laser mice?

• michael_d

They announced S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 development on August 13, 2010. Good news! I have played all 3 games, I enjoyed all of them. I like the fact that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. includes so many different elements of horror, adventure and tactical shooter. It gives gamers opportunity to roam the zone back and forth at will which is a rarity offered in few other games such as Bioshock. I think it has one of the best weapons arsenal, suits selection and upgrades system if not the best. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developers made a very good attempt at simulating projectile ballistics I cannot think of any other game which does it.

However, there are some issues in this game. AI is most of the time great but in certain situations it is awful when you shoot at NPC and they do not react at all. For some reason they only implemented wounded animations when a character can still move limping for non-human characters. Wounded humans simply lay on the ground in fetal position while zombies lie down twitching. I noticed some stuttering when approaching an area with lots of characters.

Hope they will address those issues.

• cegras

One thing that just blows my mind, every, single, f’ing time, is how console ports utterly fail on including mouse support. How hard is it to code a proper slider into the game or a box to enter precise mouse sens. values?

I have played so many ‘GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!’ (invariable based on the UT3 engine) games (or started, but never finished due to nauseating sensitivity issues) that I have actually memorized the process for changing sens by the ini file.

On the other hand, Valve recently patched in a mouse driver for direct input, has in game acceleration, has sensitivity tuning to decimal points … it’s great.

• CaptTomato

STALKER is irrelevant to me, as I’m sick of the HUGE dialog box in my face, sick of 2d looking weapons, sticky moving and firing weapons, and yukky looking bullet ejection.
    None of the creatures are the least bit memorable, and most of them have the animations of a 1998 game.

Stalker pripet was as boring as hell.

• jalex3

i gota agree. but i will still check it out when the time comes.

• BobbinThreadbare

Eye of the beholder and all that, I still don’t see a better way of doing dialog however.

For the record, no I don’t like Mass Effect’s system, I like to actually know what I’m going to say thank you very much.

• PenGun

Most people who hate it had their asses kicked. They are tough and unforgiving games. The Ukranian developers want you to feel bad and pitiful. The western games are designed to make you feel like a hero.

• Corrado

Definitely. The first TWO times i tried to play it I got less than an hour in and hated it. Once i FORCED myself past the first hour, I couldn’t stop. Such a wonderful game

• BobbinThreadbare

Yeah the beginning kind of sucks. I feel like they should have given you a weapon that wasn’t completely worthless to start with.

• yogibbear

You fail at gaming. Everything you say you didn’t like about the game i think the game does BETTER than almost every other game out there asides from semi-sims.

• kamikaziechameleon

Ok, played the first, thought, well this is broken got about 10 hours in and didn’t come back.

I want to ask you all this. If its the best franchise ever why is it stuck in the 80’s? why not climb up to a solid 90-95 percent rating.

Check it out:

[url<]http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=s.t.a.l.k.e.r.&numrev=3&site=[/url<]

• indeego

I’ve always wanted to try out Stalker, but did not like how it was released unfinished, and several friends say it never was completely finished. Was going to pick it all up when the first three are $5 @ steam.

• Corrado

It was buggy as hell when released, and I think that soured a lot of people. However, if you waited 8+ months to pick it up, it was AWESOME. Couple that with some of the mods and it was a hellishly fun and addictive game.

• travbrad

Who said it’s the best franchise ever?

Gamerankings is nice to get an overall consensus on a game and decide if it’s a POS or not, but the ranking is pretty irrelevant once you actually play a game. If I enjoy a game, then I enjoy it regardless of what some website assigns as a score.

Here’s another one by player reviews: [url<]http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/stalker-call-of-pripyat/user-reviews[/url<] OMG it's a different number. My opinion of the game has changed now....not. P.S. Mass Effect 2 (yes 2) is ranked the 3rd best PC game of all time on Gamerankings.

• Corrado

Really? I am playing 2 now, and while I really like it a lot, I liked 1 WAY better (both on 360). Liked the combat and the leveling system in 1 (which is kind of the only things they’ve changed). The ammo system is the main thing I don’t like in 2. The weapon/armor/upgrade system in 2 isn’t bad, but I am a stats nerd so I liked picking which guns were better based on a number of factors in 1, while in 2 it seems like it really doesn’t matter which guns you use outside of the heavy weapons.

• travbrad
    • SomeOtherGeek

[quote<]The PC really has an awful lot to offer shooters with RPG elements like this, both in terms of graphical fidelity and input precision, yet too many such titles seem to give PC gamers a slightly spruced-up version of the console releases. How about setting the PC experience as a baseline and dumbing down the console versions, instead?[/quote<] Amen, brother amen!

• RtFusion

Can I get a Hallelujah in the house!

• PenGun

Wonderful. We have been wining at them from the Steam forum on and off not to yield to consolitis. and now they tell us it’s OK.

Very good, the best of them all will now get a sequel.

Fallout 3 and FNV are fun but they are not in the same class as Stalker. Not even close.

• odizzido

Sweet. I love stalker games.

• PrincipalSkinner

Aside from usual ton of bugs there won’t be anything hindering user experience.

• tejas84

The only reason I am buying this game and any more games from GSC is that they are creating a new engine!

Thank God!

No more stuttery crap X-Ray engine anymore. Looking forward to this one.

• gzubeck

Installing the Stalker complete Mods are an absolute must to get the best gameplay. After the two mods to Stalker SOC and Stalker Clear sky the games are much smoother and better graphics and audio. There isn’t a mod for Staker COP yet but it is very playable without the mod and functions smoothly. I would say that two thirds of COP is very good while the final third of the game with the pripyat section is somewhat rushed and not as good as the first two chapters. The funny thing about COP is that you run around looking for artifacts most of the game and you really can’t use them in the final third because they are not that relevent in the final chapter. Plus its very hard to find tools to give to weapons techs and they are really not useful in the final chapter anyway and it makes it somewhat of a letdown in that regard. There is a couple of good sequences in the pripyat chapter but the storyline is just ok and they could have made the story a little more stronger with better dialog and character interaction (pretty one dimensional dialog with NPCs). One thing I can say is that the Maps and environments in all three games are new and entertaining to stalker fans. I would say the first game with the spectacular mod Complete is an absolute must play for any realist gamer. The others are just whip cream and chocolate on your stalker dessert. (P.S. : make sure you find the 12 shot ring barrel shotgun and modify the hell out of it with rapid fire in COP! The rapid fire burst in close proximity gives you the one fun advantage in the game. A real big destructive power boost. LOL!)

• gzubeck

Other Tips in COP!
        Save your Propelled Grenades for difficult Monsters like the Chimera and Burer!
        Regular Grenades are very marginal in the game because monsters move way to fast except for the controller or Snorks from a distance.
        Zombies are wonderful wandering Drugstores for Bandages, Antirads, and bullets!
        The bloodsucker moves really fast but invisible things can be seen walking in water!
        Get that big 12 shot shotgun with a scope. The big new toy in COP!

• Jigar

One of my best friend always believed that consoles match PC’s graphics, i would love to see his take on this… Aditya do you read me ?

• Meadows

Maybe his PC was crap to match?

• kamikaziechameleon

Fallout 3 changed this genre, I hope stalker doesn’t struggle to stay relevant.

• Corrado

I love Fallout 3, but I like STALKER better than FO3. I have all 3 existing STALKER games.

• moshpit

Agreed. I have all the STALKER games and FO3, didn’t buy Vegas.

• Corrado

I have Vegas but haven’t played it yet. My wife got me Mass Effect 2 and Vegas for Christmas for the 360, and I’m still playing ME2. Have over 30 hours into it so far and I’m only about halfway to 2/3 of the way through it.

• BobbinThreadbare

If that’s where the genre is headed, bleh.

Shitty FPS controls, shitty RPG elements, and stupid dialog.

• kamikaziechameleon

The dialog isn’t as stupid as the NPC animations during dialogue or the frequently bad voice actors that grace the poor scripts, let alone the all around stale feeling of the dialogue.

• Kaleid

Fallout 3 and NV lacks the atmosphere of STALKER, which also has a far superior sound and light/shadow-engine. Animations are also better in STALKER and F3 looks cartoonish in comparison.

And Fallout 3 is rarely scary because all you have to do is to hit VATS and think a bit what you are doing. A sense of danger therefore never really happens.

• swaaye

Fallout 3 is certainly a different take on the post-apocalyptic thing. It also helps if you’re into the strange fantastical world of Fallout. The games have good atmosphere to them and the world is amazingly detailed.

However, for me STALKER has better atmosphere and a more interesting setting, and the gameplay is in another class compared to that RPG+FPS hybrid stuff (yuck). The character interaction of STALKER isn’t particularly deep though. You don’t really develop any relationships. I could go for more of that.

• BobbinThreadbare

“It also helps if you’re into the strange fantastical world of Fallout.”

You mean the Fallout 3 world, they changed many things from F1 and F2 to where I can’t buy that it’s the same world anymore.

“the gameplay is in another class compared to that RPG+FPS hybrid stuff (yuck)”

You should try Deus Ex and/or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Both do FPS RPG hybrid much better than Fallout 3.

• yogibbear

I will buy every S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game GSC makes. It’s that good.

• wingless

Seconded! S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is one of the top 5 PC gaming experiences I’ve had in the last 15 years. I put this game franchise easily above the Half Life series.

• herothezero

Agreed. STALKER is easily one of the freshest, move immersive franchises out there.

Frankly, I don’t see how any console version would be worth playing. I hope they don’t dumb-down the gameplay mechanisms for the sloppy controller couch potatoes.

• kamikaziechameleon

Gags…. What? I’m sorry just because half-life is abscent from the scene doesn’t mean it isn’t still the best game franchise of all time.

• BobbinThreadbare

Did you even read his post? He said he puts it above the Half-Life series.

For my money, HL1 is still the best FPS I’ve ever played.

• kamikaziechameleon

Did you even read my post,

I’m sayin HL is better. hence me gaging at him proclaiming it better than my best game.

• clone

I read both your posts and while I loved Half Life and Halfe Life 2 along with Episode 1 and Episode 2… it doesn’t change that I prefer the Stalker series more than the Half Life series.

when I played the original Half Life I didn’t sleep, I drooled I loved it that much, Half Life 2 was amazing but easy, creative and fun but in the end pretty easy, Half Life episode 1 and 2 were much the same, I enjoyed the story, I enjoyed the games overall except that the scripting action to finish was starting to move towards a little silly, instead of killing my way out I was forced to tear around in a car jump out and throw bombs at the base of the walkers…. it was ok but only ok.

now Stalker arrives, no game is as … realistically gritty, none has created such a convincing universe as the Stalker franchise, the first game I played late and benefited by avoiding the early release bugs… it was fantastic, Clear Sky had a faction system while buggy was ambitious, the upgrades were fantastic, repairs all that much better, artifact collecting all that much more interesting, the landscapes were ok, the ending a little disappointing but good enough then came Stalker Call of Pripyat.

bar none I loved playing Stalker Call of Pripyat, the new monsters, the new NPC’s, the altered faction system, the new quests, the best, the story, fantastic, the 10 minute + cinematic ending simply phenominal… the ending battle that lead to the cinematic simply the best ending of any game I’ve played and I’ve played most of them…. only Freespace 2 a Sci Fi flight sim of old had a better ending and in regards to both it’s not visually but because it tied up storylines and was done so well.

I can’t give Half Life the nod because while amazing, the Stalker Series has evolved with each game and gotten better, the Half Life series stalled, it’s progressed storywise and I’d give the series a 9.0 out of 10 to the Stalker franshises 9.5… Call of Pripyat is amazing..

• BobbinThreadbare

I swear I did! Yet somehow I still managed to get it wrong.