Appreciate a Dragon Day Shortbread

1. Mac Rumors: iPad 2 likely to have 2048×1536 resolution
  2. SmartMoney: Why Apple’s best days may be over
  3. Bloomberg: hp could have fired ex-chief Mark Hurd, investor says in lawsuit
  4. ZDNet: 1 second Linux boot
  5. NGOHQ hosts Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Final

Appreciate a Dragon Day

1. Wired: Homeland Security junks billion dollar ‘virtual fence’
  2. BBC News: Should employees buy their own computers?
  3. ITProPortal: French ISP throttles direct download website MegaUpload
  4. Maintaining high availibity for Microsoft.com
  5. Windows Weekly 191: Angry Ballmer
  6. Gizmodo: 12 technologies on the verge of extinction

Hardware news

1. Fudzilla: HIS working on HD 6950 1GB card
  2. TC Magazine: GeForce GTX 580 getting WindForce cooling too, courtesy of Gigabyte
  3. VR-Zone: Antec launches Sonata IV chassis

Mobile

1. The Huffington Post: Will tablets make us less creative?
  2. SnapTax from Intuit lets some file by phone

2. Clunk’s P67 Sandy Bridge overclocking guide for beginners
  3. StorageReview’s LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i and 8888ELP review part 1
  4. X-bit labs test contemporary graphics cards in Call of Duty: Black Ops
  5. AMDZone’s Cooler Master CM Inferno review
  6. PureOC reviews Deepcool N8 notebook cooler
    • blastdoor

” iPad 2 likely to have 2048×1536 resolution”

Is that really necessary? I’m sure it will look great, but I wonder if it’s worth the extra cost.

• YeuEmMaiMai

*patiently waits for lawsuits regarding the wiping of BYOC devices when the user is no longer with the company……lol

• NeelyCam

[quote<]BBC News: Should employees buy their own computers?[/quote<] I'd love to buy a laptop for work. The one I have runs XP, is slow as hell, freezes regularly to do excessive virus scanning, and has an HDD. Oh, and bluescreens thanks to NVidia graphics. Buying my own work laptop would be a worthy investment towards my mental health.

• MadManOriginal

I think you’d change your mind if your company enforced this idea:

“One of the prerequisites is to have a standard McAfee anti-virus installed on the device.”

:-/

• NeelyCam

My current work laptop already has that crippling virus of a software. The difference would be that I’d have an SSD and a much faster CPU to deal with that crap.

• MadManOriginal

Don’t get me wrong, I fully agree, I just wanted to take a dig at CrapAfee. My ‘enterprise’ only recently started rolling out some updated desktops, which most at my work use literally all day and speed matters. We were on ancient HT P4s with maybe 1GB RAM and of course ancient HDs and they upgraded us to E7500s with 4GB and fairly fast HDs…yes it was a massive upgrade but Core 2s, seriously? It would have completely been worth it to me to buy a Core i3 system for a few hundred months ago.

• yogibbear

God no. Even though i would love to pick my own lappy and care for, the way i see co-workers treat their PCs/laptops there is NO WAY i would be letting them buy one, let alone take care of it. The amount of setup required for a 40k+ employee company to rollout laptops and desktops is ridiculous. So i can understand when i get a new laptop and it’s already a year old and has a 3 yr old OS. That’s actually pretty damn good. So…. plus i don’t get admin rights to my own lappy so i have to call IT to install programs…. :).

Me: “Hi, can you double click this installation file on my desktop?”
      Them:”Okay… what is it?”
      Me: “Just an application i need… nothing malicious… i wouldn’t install a bomb into the network!”
      Them: “err… are you joking or being serious?”
      Me: “What do YOU think?”
      Them: “*sigh… um… well i hope you have read the IT policy”
      Me: “Of course it’s nothing malicious… it’s just called VLC player”
      Them: “What’s VLC?”
      Me: “Do you really work in IT?”
      Them: “Okay i’ll install it for you”
      Me: “Thanks very much”
      Them: “Now i’ve double clicked on it, what do i do next?”
      Me: “*sigh* /facepalm *hits them with a large sea bass*”

• Corrado

I think if they made people PAY for their work computers, they would get treated a lot better. If you just hand people something, they have no respect for it, especially if they know if they break it in 6 months to a year, they’ll get a newer/faster one for free as well.

Do something like a technology fee of $1000 a year. You get that $1000 back at the end of the year if you don’t break your laptop. Regular wear and tear don’t count, a hard drive spontaneously dying doesn’t count. But if people started getting docked/in trouble for loading their work laptops up with spyware, I be you’d see things change quick. A company I used to work for had a policy that after the first incident with a user, that department started getting charged for the IT worker’s time spent repairing and fixing issues outside of routine things. We had one guy that said he let his kids install games on his work laptop and couldn’t understand why we were upset removed them and took away admin rights. Generally they shouldn’t have admin rights in the first place, but when people take their laptops home and need to install printers and scanners and hook their PDA’s up, it just wasn’t realistic to keep them in user mode.

• anotherengineer

How can I appreciate a dragon if they don’t exsist?? ;(

So win7 sp1 out soon?? hmmm

• Ethyriel

Bioware is happy to help.

• ssidbroadcast

Yeah, they seem to appreciate dragons a lot. An entire [i<]age[/i<] of them, even.

• BobbinThreadbare

I preferred their games that balanced dragons with dungeons

• Mithent

I recommend How To Train Your Dragon. Better than Toy Story 3 in my (admittedly minority) opinion.

• Voldenuit

+1. TS3 was essentially TS1 & 2 regurgitated (Toys get separated from Andy, toys angst over whether Andy loves them, toys get mistreated by bad guys, toys return to Andy).

• Grigory

Actually this is just a training exercise to get you ready for Appreciate a God Dayยด. ๐Ÿ™‚

(Pick a god! Any god!)

• Ronald

How about Appreciate a Gerbil Day?

• Voldenuit

I pick Mighty Atheismo, of whom no god is mightier!

• JustAnEngineer

Is Mobile item # IV a violation of Rule #1 ?

• 2cans

somthin about ‘ rules meant to be broken ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ronald

The link has been removed.