WebOS will power netbooks, HP documents suggest

HP’s webOS slates were conspicuously absent at this year’s CES, but we already know they’re coming. HP all but announced them last year, after all. According to PreCentral.net, those slates may have some strange company: HP netbooks running the very same mobile operating system.

No, really. PreCentral quotes a training presentation that states, "If I could run webOS on my phone and a slate and a netbook… And they all talked to each other and shared information. A friendly little product family… That connects you to the world in amazing new ways." It doesn’t get much more explicit than that.

The training montage isn’t very explicit about HP’s launch plans, though. All it says is, "Today, let’s start with the phones. Tomorrow will come soon enough." Pretty vague as far as release time frames go.

I suppose the line between netbooks and slates is blurring, what with devices like Asus’ Eee Transformer being able to don and shed keyboards at their users’ whim, so it would make sense for HP to pursue both. Here’s hoping HP has something more exciting in the works than just a WebOS slate with a detachable keyboard.

• dpaus

My [i<]hp[/i<] Mini10 netbook already comes with 'instant-on' Linux that lets me browse the web and check e-mails in seconds, without having to boot Windows 7. If I really want/need Win 7, I can launch it from Linux. Since [i<]hp[/i<] owns WebOS, and it's based on Linux , and is now 'instant on' [i<]and[/i<] now has thousands of apps available for it, it makes perfect sense to me that all future [i<]hp[/i<] netbooks would come with WebOS as the built-in OS, and that Win 7 would be available as an option. In fact, given that it's a virtually no-cost option to [i<]hp[/i<], that makes a lot of sense for their laptops, too.

• HisDivineShadow

Agreed. Since they own WebOS already, I think there’s a good kind of sense to offering WebOS as an “Instant On” option for their netbooks, if not their laptops outright. I never use the “Instant On” options on a laptop, but I imagine there’s a lot of people who don’t need everything I need from a laptop either.

Now if someone’s using the instant on of a laptop a lot, perhaps they should be getting a tablet to use for that purpose. But nice extras are nice. And extra.

• dpaus

Hmmm, I just remembered that [i<]hp[/i<] announced a deal with the folks that make QuickOffice (a WebOS app that allows reading of common word processing, spreadsheet, presentation Office formats, and, in the for-pay version, creation and editing of same). And that they've apparently been putting serious effort into beefing up WebOS's built-in PDA functions. The combination of those, with the already available e-mail, social networking and browser apps, would make a compelling case for living entirely without Windows...

• yogibbear

I don’t use the internet on my phone or netbook. Am i weird?

• Jigar

I can see why you don’t use phone for browsing, but what’s wrong with netbook, i use netbook as a internet goat. If there is virus, the netbook takes on itself. My main system is mostly unattached to internet, it gets internet only for silent Anti virus or security updates..

• cygnus1

I do the something similar except with a Win7 VM on my media server. Nice thing about the VM is being able to snapshot it right before trying an app and just being able to roll it back if i don’t like it or it spazzes out.

• colinstu

yup

• jpostel

seconded

• TaBoVilla

the internetz can run on phones??!

• UberGerbil