Poll: Are you upgrading to Sandy Bridge?

Sandy Bridge is here, and it’s very fast indeed. Better yet, you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg for Intel’s latest CPUs. The unlocked Core i5-2500K costs $225 on Newegg right now, and the Hyper-Threading-equipped i7-2600K is only $105 more. So, are you gonna buy one? That’s the subject of this week’s poll, which asks whether you’re planning a Sandy Bridge upgrade.

Our last poll tackled the subject of notebook battery life—specifically, how much of it you require. With 32% of the vote, the largest group desires eight hours or more. Amen. Among the rest, 18% are looking for at least four hours of run time, 17% require six, and 14% are looking for five. 9% of those who voted expect only three hours of battery life from their notebooks, while the rest split between one, two, and seven hours. Amazingly, 2% of voters need less than an hour’s worth of battery life from their notebooks, which are presumably lugged from wall socket to wall socket.

• DarkUltra

Missing option: waiting for sandy bridge socket 2011?
    four channel ddr3 memory on those new and faster memory store and fetch units in the sandy bridge is going to blow everything out of the water.

• AliceCooper

Just upgraded from a Q6600 to a I5 2500K running at 4ghtz and just have to say WOW WOW. Absolutely brilliant the best Β£300 upgrade I’ve ever done. I’ve paid more than that for a GPU LOL.

This CPU has unleashed my HD 5850 and I did a quick bench on HL2 Lost Coast with all eye candy on @ 1920×1080 and scored 255 fps. Never seen scores like that. 3DMark 06 was off the charts and even the new 3dm11 was awesome.

All I can say is this is the best CPU i’ve ever owned and you’d have to be mad not to upgrade to this for the price. Just my 2 cents worth.

• sweatshopking

well first of all. of course it’s the best cpu you’ve ever owned. it’s brand new. second of all: what where your lost coast scores before? i’m personally waiting for BD before purchasing stuff.

• flip-mode

That ain’t nothing. When I upgraded to 2500K my “check_for_new_email.bat” script was able to run 3 times per second instead of 1 time per second. Extremely worthwhile upgrade – it used to take me 3 times longer to check my email! Incredible value this processor has delivered to me, allowing me to spend more time with my family since I can now check email three times more often… er… yeah.

And, ditto for FPS increases in HL2. Now instead of running 3x perceptible frame rate, I’m running 6x perceptible frame rate, which is a huge difference in the creamy smoothness factor. Every once in a while when I blinked my eyes it was like a little jitter. Now my FPS is so fast that when I blink my eyes it’s like I didn’t even blink my eyes! The 2500K allows individual frames to shoot behind my eyelids.

All I know is, I can’t wait for the next upgrade that will deliver HL2 frames so fast that my spinal fluid will boil and cause loss of bladder control unless I use the special Frame Rate Reducer that will ship with all future 25K-K CPUs.

Anyway, best money I ever spent, getting all these unseeable additional rates of frames. Only other thing that ever came close was when I had all my wall studs gold plated before the drywall was hung. That was quite amazing. It really makes a difference. People love coming over to experience it. Obviously, the ladies love it.

• Buzzard44

First off, don’t be ridiculous. Ladies don’t go for anything below platinum plated wall studs.

You see, I got the 2600K, which is actually such a fast CPU that I took out my 5870 and coded a software emulator for it. Now I get >9000 FPS on Mafia 2 on six 2560 x 1600 displays through the eyefinity feature I coded into my virtual graphics card. Even after all this I’m only utilizing ~70% of the processor!

• flip-mode

Pfft… dude, you’ve pulled out your e-peen in front of the wrong mofo. Now you’ve done it. See, I’m upgrading from my 2500K to a 2600K. Then I’m going to overclock. I’m not just going to emulate my GPU, but I’m going to emulate my CPU on my own frickin CPU, and then emulate the GPU on the emulated CPU. THEN I’m going to run PhysX faster on a single emulated CPU core than it runs on a GTX 580, much to Nvidia’s disdain. PhysX will run so fast on a single emulated i7 2600K overclocked CPU core that Nvidia might even sue me. Then they’re going to need a meme to replace the ridiculously overused “over 9000” because I’m going to be so-o-o-o over 9000 that that 9000 won’t be able to be seen through the Hubble, which will be mounted in place of my rear view mirror. All the while, my monitor will be exploding at relativistic speeds due to radically impossible FPS rates – to the point that my monitor will travel back in time, exploding at each instant along the way, thusly destroying the universe, except my 2600K, being faster than infinity, will have already traveled back in time to before the beginning of the universe, thus it will not be destroyed by the preceeding infinite explosion. In conclusion, all that will ever have existed throughout all time will be my Core i7 2600K. And HL2 will finally be playable.

• Silus

Nope for me. The only thing I plan on upgrading soon, is my graphics card. Plenty of game I want to play, will be out this year. Among them: Skyrim, Crysis 2, Rage and Duke Nukem Forever.

• Voldenuit

I’ll be trying to hold off till Bulldozer if I can.

SB is nice, but has too many caveats/compromises, such as not being able to use Quicksync with external GPUs, needing to get K parts to get the HD3000 but not being able to overclock with H67 mobos, etc.

If it turns out that I can’t wait, though (household needs a new PC as the fiancΓ©e’s laptop is dying), I’ll probably go SB.

• Prototyped

It’ll be the Haswell or Rockwell timeframe before I look to upgrade. My current PC is now 15 months old (based around a Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition, with a third core unlocked), and I have yet to find it insufficient for my purposes. So an upgrade is not justified.

• Kaleid

Another new socket means HELL NO

• packfan_dave

My main home PC is an Arrandale laptop less than a year old. I think I’ll keep that for a while.

Now, if I could do something about the consumer-grade C2D laptop that’s my work machine (strangely, I have a business-grade Dell Latitude for my personal machine, and a consumer-series Toshiba Satellite for my work laptop)…

• slaimus

I upgraded from a 3 year old E2140 / 8800GT to a Q8300 / GTX 460 for about $250. Still way behind SB, but adequate.

Those E2140s were sweet. My wife’s machine for a long time was an E2140 OC’d to 3GHz with a P5B-E Plus and a GeForce 7600GS.

• FormCode

Woop ! πŸ˜€ I had an E2180 oc’d to 3.6Ghz on a Gigabyte P31 w/ 2 gig’s of RAM and a Gigabyte 8800GT Zalman OC until last year or so…. *sigh* sweet times πŸ˜€
      E21xx are ridiculously oc’able, even on crappy boards, my P31 managed hmm, 430ish fsb if i remember correctly, with the lowest multiplier of course.

• steelcity_ballin

I have a nice system spec’ed waiting until the gtx 560 is available to pull the trigger. Thanks to JAE for guiding me to this upgrade path, I would have had a considerably less powerful system for not much less money. I’m as excited about this build as I was my now-humble e6300 for it’s relative low cost and excellent performance ratio.

I intend to OC this beast as well and see if we can’t start up another pseudo competition for bragging rights. See you in about a month.

Not CPU related, but my next vid card will also be a GTX 560. HEXUS.net (among other sites) says they release next week. Oh yeah!

• martynpops

I’ve been saving for a new computer for ages !! had my current single core FX55 for 6 years ! really gonna be a massive change my next comp !!! sandy bridge 2600K and im hoping the Z68 will soon be out bringing with it a lucid chip πŸ˜€ always wanted to be able to use onboard graphics for windows and turn on the graphics cards when i want to play games !

• crazybus

Still running a C2D at 3GHz. Can’t really justify a full system upgrade right now, although a new quad-core “Core” series chip would certainly help with video encoding times. A video card update definitely takes priority, then peripherals, then SSD, then monitor, then finally cpu/mobo/ram.

• LoneWolf15

I have a hard time justifying it, as I have a Q9650 clocked to 3.6GHz, with 8GB of DDR2. I can’t think of anything I can’t run, and my Core i7-860 at work really doesn’t seem much faster, except maybe for video encoding.

I’m thinking that buying DDR3 as it drops even further in late spring, and waiting for Ivy Bridge, may be a good choice. Ivy Bridge mainboards are supposed to have some additional new features (e.g., native Intel USB 3.0 and possibly more) that will probably make the move worthwhile.

• webkido13

Upgraded from my Core2 Duo @ 3.7Ghz to a i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz. Plus a 6950 (now 6970 with BIOS flash). I could not be happier. (Almost besides Metro 2033) every game I own runs at 2560×1600 mit max settings. Lovely.

• mutarasector

I’m still wrestling with my next (& upcoming) 4 year upgrade cycle. This isn’t just any upgrade cycle either. This time its an upgrade of my desktop _and_ mobile computing platform. What makes it even more difficult is that I’m torn between going from this old flip phone to some smart phone, but then I don’t feel like paying for a data plan on something as small (more easily lost/stolen) as a smartphone. Therefore, my thinking was to go for some kind of pad/slate device capable of running Skype. What compounds the difficulty in my decision even more is that Verizon’s new 4G LTE service won’t be in my area until the end of 2012, AMD’s Bobcat Zacate/Ontario processors (and slates based on them) aren’t here yet, either.

Frankly, I don’t see Sandy Bridge as my architecture of choice for this either. So it looks like I’m waiting until Krishna/Wichita for a possible slate, and as for the desktop, my plan to go ultra low power on that via an AMD processor isn’t going to happen real soon either. Like my 2012 timeframe, the processor with the muscle to do what I want won’t occur until Llano comes out. I’m looking to build a SFF desktop system capable of running a Ceton InfiniTV CableCard tuner, web browser, media center, & light productivity apps. So I’m torn between waiting for Llano, or building PhenomII X4(X6?) based desktop on a Gigabyte GA880-GMA-U2DH mobo now.

After seeing AMD’s roadmap for the next 18 months, my leaning is to wait just a tad longer until 2Q this year and hopefully Llano will drive down the current Phenom II CPUs/mobo prices, and build a new desktop on them instead. Maybe next year I’ll look at Trinity for a new desktop system.

The CES reports on (currently a lack of) slates also force me to wait until September and see what HP’s Topaz/Opal based systems, or Blackberry Playbook look like then.

• vvas

[quote<]After seeing AMD's roadmap for the next 18 months, my leaning is to wait just a tad longer until 2Q this year and hopefully Llano will drive down the current Phenom II CPUs/mobo prices, and build a new desktop on them instead.[/quote<] Dude, keep in mind that currently Phenoms and their motherboards are already quite cheap, and the margins are pretty low. Honestly, I wouldn't expect them to get much cheaper, unless you're planning to hit the used market once Llano comes out. On the other hand, Llano itself might end up being a cheaper proposition, by virtue of having more integration and thus allowing simpler (read: cheaper) motherboard designs.

• mutarasector

[quote<] Dude, keep in mind that currently Phenoms and their motherboards are already quite cheap, and the margins are pretty low. Honestly, I wouldn't expect them to get much cheaper, unless you're planning to hit the used market once Llano comes out.[/quote<] I don't expect a drastic drop in price, and I would agree the margins are small on CPUs, but there's still room for a 10%-20% drop on the current crop of AM3 mobos (depending on ATX or MicroATX). And yes, its just possible a Llano system might end up being a cheaper proposition (for the reason you stated). While component prices are a factor to consider, system TDP, and the adequacy of a Llano system being able to handle a 4 stream CableCard tuner are more important to me, which is part of the dilemna I face in trying to decide which way to go here. On one hand, I suspect I can closely match the price/performance utilizing a current AM3 mobo and Phenom II at a future point, but I doubt I'll be able to match TDP. IOW, I can get any two parameters on any future build, but not all three parameters. On top of it, what I'm wondering is will Bobcat E350/Hudson 'Zacate' boards be sufficient to use for a dedicated DVR based on a Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCard tuner? As an HTPC, I'm sure it will suffice, but will it handle 4 simultaneous HD streams? I've got to think it will be a tad light for that duty, and wonder what AMD will release in the way of variants of E350/Zacate and just how soon? Even Hudson's 4X lane-only limitation on the PCIe X16 slot should be able to handle it, but the two x86 cores just won't keep up on this type of duty as Ceton is recommending a minimum of a dual core clocked at 2.0 GHz (2.7GHz recommended), I suspect we'll eventually see tweaks of Zacate's x86 cores, perhaps eventually even a bump in the clocks, but do I go with current crop AM3 components, wait for Llano, or tweaks on Bobcat? What to do, what to do? I could use just about any current low end AM3 or AM3/AM2+ mobo which can be had for as little as $39, pair it up with a low end Athlon II X2 processor for just about the same price at what a Zacate based mobo will cost, but not in as small of a form factor. If I do decide to go with a microATX board for this purpose, I don't want to do a build on the older AM3/AM2+ microATX boards even if they are cheap because I don't want a board with older electrolytics. Therefore, if the price of a Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H drops another $15-$20 in a couple of months, I might just go that route.

Find me a killer app that makes an upgrade in any way necessary and maybe I’ll reconsider.

The Core2 Quad in my main machine seems overkill, since the old E6600 in my media PC seems to get more action these days. I slapped a GTX460 in it and WoW, SC2, MW2, ME2 etc all seem to run at vsync on sensible settings through my 1080p TV.

Sure, I can find a game that runs badly if I look hard enough, but I’m pretty sure none of those games are worth splashing out on a new CPU/RAM/Mobo for.

• xmoox00

Yes Im planning on upgrading. Lets just say Im still using a p4 3.2 ghz Prescott socket 478 with agp graphics and I still get 60 fps at 1920 x 1080 in cs-s with almost all the settings maxed thanks to an 850xt pe (my card only has shader model 2.0 : ( or it probably would last longer). I would wait for more sandy bridge stuff to come up but I cant wait any longer its been 7 years time for an upgrade.

• clone

I was planning on going Thuban this time around having just sold my E8400 platform but after seeing Sandy Bridge I decided to hold off for a bit and just replace my setup with an AMD 880G sb850 Asus board and a triple core AMD 445 with 8gb’s of ram….. if Bulldozer is “that good” I’ll move up to it but if not I’ll sell off all of it and go Sandy Bridge later in the summer.

• tejas84

You are going to need a new motherboard to run Bulldozer pal!

The CPU will work in the new 990FX boards so that is good but don’t kid yourself that you won’t have to replace your mobo and CPU in order to get Bulldozer.

Sorry to break the news to you.

• Stargazer

[quote<]don't kid yourself that you won't have to replace your mobo and CPU in order to get Bulldozer[/quote<] Wait, I have to replace my CPU in order to upgrade to a new Bulldozer CPU? Aww...

• clone

I just read that I won’t have to replace my motherboard…. where did you read that Bulldozer won’t be compatible with AM3.

• Voldenuit

AM3+ motherboards will be compatible with AM3 CPUs, but AM3+ CPUs (i.e. Bulldozer) will not be compatible with AM3 motherboards.

[url<]http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20100826225852_Desktop_Bulldozer_Processors_Will_Require_New_Platforms_AMD.html[/url<]

• sweatshopking

LOL. i remember when I said that and you were all “omg sweatshopking is such a troll. he doesn’t know anything.” and then I was like BAM!!!!!!!!!! LINK!!!!!! and you were all like WHOA

• flip-mode

Yep, Dozer is going to need a 900 series chipset.

• clone

it doesn’t really change anything, if Bulldozer is as good as hoped or close enough to it while being cost effective then I’ll buy it, a 6 month old motherboard that cost $80 won’t change that.

• Logan[TeamX]

Nope. I’ve got a nicely-built Thuban-based box:

Phenom II X6 1055T
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 board
    16GB of Mushkin Silverline Stilletto DDR3-1333
    PNY Geforce GTX 480
    1TB WD Caviar Black 32MB cache

Running it on my Samsung 50″ 1080P plasma for now with till I get two new 24-26″ displays. Needs a Blu-Ray burner as well (only DVD for now).

• flip-mode

I can’t really see it happening for me. It’s a $500 proposition since I’m still on DDR2. A Phenom II 955 isn’t holding me back in anything – I’m easily more GPU limited than CPU limited. So I’d be spending $500 and get absolutely nothing from it but lower power consumption. So, I voted “not sure” but it probably should have been “nope”.

What I would rather spend the money on is a kegerator. Think about that…

• tejas84

“I can’t really see it happening for me. It’s a $500 proposition since I’m still on DDR2. A Phenom II 955 isn’t holding me back in anything”

HAHAHAHAHAHAH no seriously that made me laugh.

Dude you are too funny! HAHAHA……………..

Have you perchance read any of TR CPU reviews for the last 2 years???

• FormCode

Oh ! Do oblige and enlighten me what can your latest and greatest CPU do and what the P II 955 can’t, Tejas… Side note, you have to start thinking about diminishing returns at one point when upgrading, especially with hardware that 1-2 years old…
        Yer yer, i know, dont feed the trolls…

• flip-mode

I think you need to elaborate more. You seem to have a good idea about what I’m doing with my computer, so please show me a comparison of how much better the i5 2500, lets say, is than my 955. Go ahead and set the 955 as the baseline, i.e. 955 = 100, so if the the i5 2500 shows 30% better then it would be 130. It’s evident from your post that you know all the programs I’m using and all the rest of the hardware I’m using and the way I have everything configured.

If your response to this post proves that the i5 2500 averages 10% better with the applications and settings and other hardware I’m using, then I’ll go ahead and spend the $500 and provide pictures of the build and even a picture of the parts invoice to prove it. I mean it; fock it, I’ll do it. What the hell. You seem to know more about how I use my computer than I do. You don’t need to bother making pretty graphs or anything. Hell, just a quick spreadsheet file, man. I appreciate it.

• NeelyCam

+1. OS reinstall (and an SSD upgrade if you don’t have one already) is a perfectly sufficient refresh.

• xtalentx

My new job is buying me any laptop I want. I’ll probably be getting a SB cpu with 460m SLI setup. The Clevo models look real nice. Then I can have one machine for work and home.

• NeelyCam

Could you please tell me the name of your new company? I’d like to short their stock, as they obviously don’t give a sh*t about cost effectiveness

• stdRaichu

Already upgraded, from an i7 860 to a 2600K. Such a jump has given me a 40% jump in my MeGUI/x264 encodes – well worth the money. I can do (2-thread) SD second passes at 60fps and (4-thread) 1080p at 16fps with the high quality options turned on. Mobo was the cheap version of one reviewed here, the P8P67 (after years of buying gigabyte) – the EFI BIOS really is exceptional, and 6Gbps SATA with my C300 makes for ~20s boots.

Incidentally, I’m pretty sure the price I got my 2600K for was a mis-print; it was listed cheaper than the 2500 non-K at ~Β£200 on launch day.

• Firestarter

As soon as I can afford to replace my ageing C2D laptop. I’ll get a desktop and see how much longer I can use my laptop for couch/trip duties.

• Jigar

My Q6600 @ 3.7GHZ is plenty fast for any game or application that i throw at it.
    Yap, not going to upgrade for a while. πŸ™‚

• grantmeaname

I don’t know if I will ever own a desktop again; I probably will in a decade or so, if they’re still around (I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be). But throughout school and then grad school, I’ll need a laptop, and I don’t know what I would do with more than one computer. I hope to keep my current laptop (C2D 2.8GHz) until a generation or more after Sandy Bridge, so probably I’ll never own one. Here’s hoping.

• mi1stormilst

Ugh I have tried 2 times in the last 2 years to move to a laptop and I just can’t stomach it. I have to spend twice as much for a comparable laptop as I do a desktop…pure economics. Also I can’t stand my screen being so close and my keyboard being so sucky πŸ™‚

• grantmeaname

The keyboard is just a sad fact of life. I shopped long and hard to find two megapixels in 15 diagonal inches, but it was worth it… as far as other components, I got the best dually money could buy for my socket aftermarket, and I’m running as minimally as I can (ubuntu rarely scales above 800MHz…) in the hopes that it’ll last.

Leaving my desk to go work in bed, on the couch, or at the library easily doubles my laptop’s value to me, so I figure all in all it was worth the extra price.

• mi1stormilst

I think my age is starting to show (38) I am really getting burned out on Intel continually bouncing all over creation on the socket front. It feels like I just picked up my 1366/i7-920 (3.6GHZ) yesterday and I am simply not ready to bump up. Although I also know me and will likely move to a new cpu in 2011 so now it just makes sense to go with the new socket I guess )-: This is the price I pay for jumping from AMD to INTEL during the Core 2 days πŸ˜‰ Minor regrets with a few less coin in the pocket.

I know what you mean, but I’ve just accepted that every CPU is worth a new motherboard, unless you’re buying cheap just to replace something broken and keep a box running for another couple of years.

When my P965 board died, I spent a half as much on a replacement board as I originally spent on my Q9650, and I moved up to the world of 3Gb/s SATAII, USB3.0 and modern BIOS fan speed control.

Sure, being able to run a new chip in an old board is a small saving, but you’re missing out on stuff because boards get better too, over time. Buy midrange and often, rather than splurging a ton of cash on some fancy overclocking board with too many anodised parts and logos.

• bimmerlovere39

In the desktop space, it’s possible, but unlikely. It is certainly good (as Bulldozer will be, too, no doubt), maybe even great.

But I do think I’ll end up with something Sandy-Bridge powered before 2011 is out – namely, a laptop (likely a ThinkPad T420). Thanks go to college for that one – I want to be able to edit my files (including photographs) from anywhere on campus, and doing that with a netbook+desktop would be expensive (not just in hardware terms – that’s also more software) and inconvenient. It seems that a well clocked, hyperthreaded dual core Sandy Bridge will be potent enough for this – or at least equal to my desktop’s tri-core Phenom II. Add a docking station and monitor, and I think moving to a laptop for the next few years may well make sense for my usage model.

• Kurotetsu

Would love to upgrade from my E4500 based system, but I currently don’t have the cash right now so I may as well wait for Bulldozer (or the Z68 chipset if Bulldozer doesn’t cut it).

• idgarad

It’s nonsense to upgrade. I can throw up my processor stats on my second monitor and watch the CPU load. Still have yet to clear 85% utilization playing the games that I do. It’s processing power I just don’t need at a price point I just don’t want.

• Stargazer

Unless you’re using a single-core system, you could actually very well be CPU limited with 85% CPU utilization.

(And if you were using a single-core system, you’d probably have to play some fairly old games in order to never get more than 85% CPU utilization)

• HisDivineShadow

I’d wait for Bulldozer, but apparently AMD is going to let the gaming version of Bulldozer wait for next year. My Core 2 Duo P8600 is a little long in the tooth. I don’t think I can keep delaying just to wait for AMD to decide the portable market is finally ready for their performance fusion parts instead of the fusion-based-on-the-old tech.

• vvas

β€œThe gaming version of Bulldozer”? You mean the one with the integrated GPU? That doesn’t make sense, for games you’re better off getting the one they release this year and pairing it with a discrete GPU anyway.

• d0g_p00p

I am putting my order in next Saturday. My last new computer was a E8400 the 2nd day it came out. Going from a dual core 3Ghz Wolfdale CPU to a 4 core 8 thread 3.4Ghz Sandy Bridge (i7-2600K) is going to be awesome.

I cannot wait!!

• eitje

I’m actually waiting for the lower-TDP chips to come out later in the year.

• crsh1976

Voted “Yes, soon”, been waiting for SB to come out to upgrade my aging C2D E8400 setup that’s getting a bit subpar for recent games.

Ok, so I also have major new hardware cravings.

• hmm

I am in need of a new PC, but i’m not biting right now.

‘Buy a high end CPU and get EITHER graphics OR overclocking’ has deterred me, or, buy a low end one and get only incrementally better onchip graphics than clarkdale. No 24p either = no HTPC.

So, I am instead about to get a clarkdale i3 from the bay, which will have similar onchip graphics, power use, and allow me to OC (*whilst* using the graphics if i want) to the point that it beats any non-K sandy bridge in anything that isn’t highly multithreaded for a third of the price of the cheapest K.

When Z68 comes along i bite if there is a reasonably priced platform which can offer improved performance, but it seems it is being set up to be a rip off, and i don’t see intel offering any lower end chips unlocked. So may well be Bulldozer/ Ivy Bridge (24p please intel!).

I can understand no OC, but intel really made a poor move by not including the better graphics with all of sandy bridge. Firstly, no one spending that $ on a CPU is going to want that graphics performance, so it will mostly be wasted silicon. Secondly, they had a real chance to kill the low end graphics market, and thus hurt both AMD and Nvidia.

AMD really missed a trick here too, if they had released AM3+ motherboards early then i would own one right now, with an AM3 chip for now. Instead I am left choosing between 3 dead platforms.

• odizzido

I have an i5 750 so I don’t have much reason to upgrade.

• pedro

i5-760 here. Lovely CPU. Was cheap too. This set-up should last me many years now as >90% of my computing is done on a notebook these days.

This is where the problem lies tho’: I’ve been gladly using a 2.0 GHz C2D MacBook for two years now. If it weren’t for Ableton Live use, I’d be able to continue on with this notebook for another two years I’d say. But I’m definitely starting to see near max CPU usage when I load up a big project. In this respect, I very much look forward to what’s going to happen in the SB/Ivy Bridge mobile space. If I made that jump it’d be a really noticeable improvement in performance I suspect.

For now tho’ I’m fine with where I’m at.

• albundy

its gonna be a while before i upgrade my 3.2ghz quadcore phenom 2. probably in 3 to 4 years minimum. i really see no performance upgrade benefit on anything i do at this time. blame it on the economy.

• anotherengineer

Same here.

Diapers, children’s education fund and retirement plan has higher prioirty. If I do have some extra funds in the future, I think I will upgrade my 19″ lcd

• themattman

I’m still trucking along with my Q9450, and since I do not really put any big stress on the CPU I’m hoping I can wait another cycle or two to upgrade. You usually win when playing the waiting game πŸ™‚

• pedro

Nowhere has it been better said than –> [url<]http://xkcd.com/606/[/url<].

• TechNut

I’m running a E8400 @ 3.0Ghz, which is by no means “slow” for what I do. Coupled with a couple fast SSD’s, the performance is always pretty good.

However, the family has a need for a new media PC for the family room. So, this machine and it’s HDMI out will start serving that duty. My Sandy upgrade will be a replacement for me. The prices are quite reasonable for this generation, so, I will take the plunge. However, I’m waiting for the Z68 chipset to come out in Q2. If I buy a Sandy CPU, I want to be able to use the on-board and my discreet graphics card. Z68 will permit that (though Lucid’s new software will be needed). So, I’m waiting on that to happen before I pull the trigger on the upgrade.

• etrigan420

Nope.

Still waiting for my e8400 @ 4.0 to *not* be able to do something in a timely enough manner.

• Applecrusher

Exact same situation here! I do not know if htis is good or bad tho.

• funko

i was too, until i started to play bad company 2 ;[

so im sitting pretty with a q9550 at 3.8, expecting this to last for at least another 18 months

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, same boat.

The E8400 was a gem.

• LauRoman

i’ve skipped Nehalem, DDR3 and 25nm SSD. And I’m just waiting for all of them to be available at an (uninflated) reasonable price in my neck of the woods. And it better get along with my pocket. I don’t intend to spend money on resources i won’t use.

• ClickClick5

Waiting. Seeing what the mysterious chip will do!

• travbrad

I choose “waiting for Bulldozer” although I’m really more waiting for my bank account to not be in terrible shape πŸ™ In the last 6 months I bought studio monitors, more RAM, new HSF, a GTX460, Xonar DG, new HD for laptop, and a new router. That’s all I can realistically afford for now.

I’ll be amazed if Bulldozer can even trade blows with SB, but I’d love to see it happen.

• ColeLT1

I built a core I5-2500 w/ asus P67Pro last week (for a friend), and was impressed. All I did to it was bump the turbo max from 37x to 41x, under prime it ran 3.8ghz @ 70c on the stock (tiny) cooler on stock voltage, and up to 4.1ghz on single threads.

We both have identical video cards (gtx460 1gb) so I had to test πŸ™‚

Tested with 3dmark Vantage
    Gigabyte gtx460 @870/4000:

Core I7-950 @ 4.2ghz
    P18221
    X8386

Core I5-2500 @ 4.1max turbo:
    P20022
    X8830

Not (near) enough of an improvement to make me upgrade, but very impressed how little this build cost, and the 10 minutes it took me to OC. If it was for me, I would go for the 2600k and put it on water.

And for s&g’s, I put both cards in my computer:
    Core I7-950 @ 4.2ghz w/SLI GTX460s (@870/4000)
    P31737
    X16269

• Cannyone

No I cannot see a real benefit to this “Upgrade”. “New” does not equal “better”. Nuff Said! πŸ™‚

• Deanjo

I still see no reason to upgrade from my Tandy 1000 ex. It’s not like they have brought out any better games since King’s Quest II. πŸ˜›

• lilbuddhaman

Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow was the best of the series IMO.

• Synchromesh

Nope. If it’s not AMD, I’m not interested. Plus I just got a new rig recently so the only thing I might upgrade is a CPU to X6 in next year or so.

• Duck

[quote<]With 32% of the vote, the largest group desires eight hours or more.[/quote<] Ha. I noticed now you say "the largest group" instead of "the majority" after the last poll's debate over if the majority means more than 50% or not. Better to be on the safe side, eh? πŸ˜›

• Tibba

Voted “soon” because I’m planning to wait until well into Q2 to get serious about building a new rig.
    By then, prices and availability of boards/procs should have stabilized nicely, and Z68 based boards may be arriving to market.
    We should also be on the cusp of a gfx card refresh again by mid May/early June, and that may present a good chance to get in on some new hotness, or get a bargain on established or outgoing cards.
    It’s been quite a number of years since I built right from the ground up instead of strategic upgrades or salvaging from old machines, I expect it to be a nice feeling.

It’ll be 2 years in May since I overhauled things, but I did just get a new motherboard and RAM on my quest to get up to 8GB in my system. As a result if I upgrade the CPU, it’ll be an upgrade to whatever my board supports in the near term. That’s an 890GX board, so that means AMD. What’s going to be compatible with AM3 in the next 6 months? ‘dozer or Llano? If not I guess I might get up to a 6-core Phenom II, but right now low thread count performance is what I’m looking for. I wouldn’t put 6 cores to use with my workload.

• HunterZ

Just built a Core i7 860 desktop a year ago and it’s still awesome. With the current generation of consoles acting as a boat anchor for PC game system requirements, it should last me at least a couple more years before I feel the need to upgrade again.

• oldog

Ditto.

• mi1stormilst

Even with Photoshop work and heavy gaming I am sitting pretty with my i7-920 (3.6GHZ) and my old 4870 πŸ™‚

• hansmuff

Waiting for Ivy Bridge. I want 8 cores and a bugfix iteration of Sandy Bridge. Also, the S1155 boards will have nicely matured by then.

• bcronce

And the return of Triple Channel memory… 22nm will be wicked.

I’ll probably upgrade my current i7 920 to 12GB of 1600ddr since I can drop that in the Ivy Bridge. I’ve heard it’s suppose to use 1600 and if it just uses 1333, then It’ll just down clock anyway

• mcforce0208

I am seeing loads of guys with good old Q6600’s! I have one to, clocked in at 3.6ghz. It’s still doing me proud, I have no real need to upgrade at the mo (as much as I want to get my hands on a 2600K!). Also I have decided to give up gaming now, completly, as I think i waste to much time gaming….. Gonna stick with this CPU until it dies I guess.

• Corrado

Seeing as I just built an AM3 system yesterday, nope. I spent $99 on a CPU and motherboard, but I’m hoping my motherboard will be able to take a bulldozer when they’re released.

• I.S.T.

Bulldozer will require a new socket, sorry. AM3+ it’s called. πŸ™

• Duck

AM2 CPU cant go in AM3 board because it has no DDR3 memory controller or whatever. AM3 CPU can go in AM2 board, BIOS upgrade permitting. So bulldozer will be backwards compatible with AM3 socket as well as going in the new AM3+

• jalex3

NO. it will not work in am3 BUT am3 will work in it.

• Duck

Other CPUs have been backwards compatible. Why not bulldozer too?

• Game_boy

According to AMD, they could have made it compatible but it would have reduced the potential of Bulldozer (speculation – likely the parts the socket affects which are memory bandwidth and power characteristics, so that would be limiting DDR3 speed and Turbo modes most likely).

• murtle

Bulldozer has optimized for very low latency quad channel MMU in it. If they reduce to dual channel regime then new core can’t cope with IPC output.

I believe something has to be derived when time has come.

• Corrado

We’ll see. I’ve seen that it will and that it won’t. That the first gen will be AM3 without the onchip graphics, and subsequent will be AM3+ or AM4 or whatever. *shrug* For what I paid I won’t be upset if it doesn’t. I was debating dropping a Thuban in there but in all reality, I’m playing a FEW games (mostly older games) and hopefully STALKER 2, but the Phenom II x2 560 I have in there now is fine.

• PetMiceRnice

Since I stopped buying games for the PC due to DRM and migrated to the consoles, my needs have changed dramatically. My most recent tower was built in November of 2006 and it is rocking a Core 2 Duo E6400, Asus P5B-E motherboard, 2GB of RAM, a 9600GT, and Windows XP SP3. And I’m 100% happy with it. I no longer have it connected to the Internet and just have a catalog of old games installed on it which I enjoy coming back to for kicks. Probably my newest game on there is Command & Conquer 3. These days, I’ve gone the laptop route and my most recent purchase was in the summer of 2009. It’s a Compaq CQ60-404CA which I paid $450 for. I’ll probably be running it for a couple more years before upgrading to another laptop in the $400 range.

• bittermann

What’s it like paying $50-$60 a pop for a console game? I myself enjoy the Steam discounts!

• Duck

~$5 for a proper game…. check πŸ™‚

<3 Steam

• hmm

If you can wait a couple of months and head to your favourite auction site, you can get pretty good bargains on the console games too. And you can re-sell.

• way2strong

Might have to fork up an extra 10 bucks to play online though

• bcronce

Re-selling works great if the game sucks. If it’s worth re-selling, it’s not worth buying.

Reselling definitely helps, but you don’t even have to go to eBay. Amazon has most games pretty heavily discounted relatively quickly as well.

• lilbuddhaman

Plus $10-50 for the DLC (which unfortunately shyte games like Borderlands push on us PC guys too)

…and no, Vanilla Borderlands was not a complete game, it was 25% of a game.

• kamikaziechameleon

DLC is the cancer that will kill the industry. People complain about how call of duty eats up consumer capital. I say its games like fallout and border lands having 40-60 dollars in DLC post launch. Turning a regular purchase into a 120 dollar purchase and 100 hours of gameplay is what keeps people from aquiring mutliple titles at christmas time.

• Stargazer

I can certainly understand the appeal of selling DLC, and it is definitely possible to have DLC that give meaningful contributions to a game, but in general I don’t like how DLC is being used, and I’m a bit worried that it seems to be becoming more and more popular.

• Corrado

Meh, I am just now playing Mass Effect 2 and Bad Company 2 on 360, both of which were $19.99 brand new at Target. The games are both fantastic. I’m not huge on multi-player either. I think I may pick up Dragon Age shortly too, which believe it or not, is $29.99 for PC and $29.99 for 360 new! The only thing I avoid by waiting is having to deal with bugs that get patched eventually.

I played Dragon Age on PS3 before I played it on PC. On the console it plays more like a poorly-conceived hack-and-slash. It’s not TERRIBLE on consoles, but it deserves being played on the PC. It might be a big exception, but it is an exception nonetheless.

• kamikaziechameleon

bad company 2 was 6.80 over christmas on steam and masseffect 2 was 10 dollars if I’m not mistaken.

Total non-sequitur. By the time a game is heavily discounted on Steam, it’s also heavily discounted on the console.

• kamikaziechameleon

not comparibly buying a game for 2-5 dollars on steam instead of 20-30 on console is a ridiculous comparison.

• PetMiceRnice

Hey, I was an avid PC gamer from 1991 up until about 2007. I don’t take abandoning it the way I did lightly.

As for console game prices, sure, you can pay $50 to $60 a pop, sometimes even more, but the same is also true on the PC for new releases. Myself, I rarely pay more than $25 for ANY game, and recently I picked up the original Bioshock for the PS3 for $8. I’ve picked up a good share of console games for under $20, some under $10 like that.

• tejas84

@PetMiceRnice

Wow sucks to be you and your one man stand against Steam!

Seriously WTH are you on about? The consoles are all heavily networked over the internet. How come you have no problem with the DRM schemes of the consoles.

Hypocrite sensor overload methinks!

• PetMiceRnice

Well, on the consoles, I don’t have to deal with the following DRM schemes:

– Limited number of installs
        – Persistent internet connection required
        – Product activation

That was why I left PC gaming after 16 years of devotion to the hobby.

Anyway, my original comments were not intended to turn this into a PC versus Consoles debate. I had my share of enjoyment on both sides.

• TREE

Come back to the PC man… You may have strayed from enlightenment, but we will overlook this and forgive your sins. Come now, join us, and revel in the excitement of the next GPU/CPU launch that will make your game play smoother at 1080p with more things happening on screen than has ever been seen before!!

The PC loves you!

• emorgoch

From a CPU perspective, I have no reason to upgrade to SB (currently an i7 860). I’m only considering because I want to upgrade to a 6Gbit SATA SSD when the next generation comes out, and my current system only has support for 3Gbit SATA. If I’m upgrading the mobo, might as well upgrade the CPU.

• Edgar_Wibeau

Ooops. voted Nope, which is correct by itself. And I don’t need an upgrade, got a Phenom 9350, fast enough for the time being.

Yet, I’ll get me a Llano towards this fall πŸ™‚

• PenGun

Every three years I build a new machine that goes in my ancient 24″ tower.

I have an i5 at 3.4 Ghz, I know but it runs better locked to a speed in games. It will happily do 4.0 Ghz but I don’t need it.

So sometime in 2013 I’ll build a new machine. I don’t see any real advantage to Sandy Bridge over Nethlem anyway. A bit faster.

• kamikaziechameleon

Sandy Bridge is cool and all but I want the triple channel 1366 varients. Then I’ll upgrade and sell off my old build.

• GrimDanfango

I’m waiting for Sandy Bridge-EN. I’m entirely disinterested by onboard graphics capability, and entirely interested in 6/8 core CPUs (I do a certain amount of 3D work at home…)
    So anyway, they should get their asses in gear and bring out the proper big-guns sooner rather than later πŸ˜›

• DeadOfKnight

Yeah I’m with you on that one. LGA 2011 is likely to be a lot more impressive for those who are going to be running discrete graphics either way and it should be a more worthy upgrade from my 875K. Plus I just want to see how bulldozer actually does and hope that it drives down the prices for intel’s CPUs even though I’m unlikely to be an early adopter of that particular architecture.

• Farting Bob

I ordered mine last week, but its coming tomorrow (along with new board, RAM and case) since ive been either busy or away since release, much to my annoyance.

• mikehodges2

New option for comments section…a delete button?

• mikehodges2

Nope, got an i5 setup about 3 months ago. Considering my A64 machine lasted about 8 years, this should last at least 6 months πŸ™‚

• ew

I don’t think I can justify spending more then $100 on a CPU anymore. It’s just not worth spending so much money on things that will be worthless in a few years for me anymore.

• Krogoth

I have no need to upgrade from a three year old Q6600@3.0Ghz. There’s no mainstream game or application that demands more for an “acceptable” mainstream computing experience. My gaming needs would benefit far more from a GPU upgrade.

Sandy Bridge upgrade would only yield me more epenis points. Thankfully, I have grown out of that phase.

• RickyTick

+1 If I hadn’t won that MSI Xpower Big Bang X58 motherboard from TR, I’d still be rocking a 3yr old P35 mobo with a Q6600 @3.0 too.

• End User

I saw a big jump in gaming performance moving from a Q6600@2.8 to an i7-920@4.2.

• kamikaziechameleon

Heck I just moved up to a x6 1090T and wow I’ve been living in the dark ages(bye bye Q6600 O.C.d to 3.1 ghz you’ve been good to me). I’d hate to think how fast sandybridge would have felt.

The Q6600 gets it done but it really isn’t up to snuff in CPU intensive apps any more, not when a 6 core is under 200 dollars or a HT quad for near the same price.

• Krogoth

Sadly, most of that benefit only happens at lower resolutions. When you move up to 2Megapixels or greater. The GPU plays a far larger factor in gaming performance.

I suspect that you had also upgraded the GPU along with your CPU. It better explains your “jump”. πŸ˜‰

• End User

Nope. I kept my GTX 260 when I moved to the i7-920. Major difference in gaming performance @ 1920×1200. The GTX 260 was being held back by the Q6600.

• swaaye

That’ll happen with some stuff. Crysis is super CPU limited due to insane numbers of draw calls I think. Crazy RTS gaming like say SupCom and Civ 5 would benefit too for sure.

I’m hoping for better multicore scaling one of these days. Most games still only hit 2 cores. Lots of untapped power in even an old Q6600 or Phenom II.

• marvelous

I went from a e5200 to i3 530. I too had a GTX260 at the time. 2 games only made a “slight” improvement. BC2, Dragon Age, GTA4. Other than that no other games made a difference. At least with all the games I have.

• Krogoth

• NeelyCam

Minus to TechReport for all these double-posts.

• eitje

At 7:26 PM CST on 1/19/2011, your post was scaled to 0.

• NeelyCam

Thanks – this is much appreciated.

• Meadows

[i<]"My gaming needs would benefit far more from a GPU upgrade."[/i<] And yet you spew uninterested rubbish every time there's a GPU review. Make up your mind, son.

• Krogoth

Look, Mr. Troll is trying to get a bite! πŸ™‚

• Meadows

Invalid response. [i<]Focus[/i<], Krogoth.

• Krogoth

Becoming more desperate eh?

• Meadows

You still haven’t responded to the original comment.

• esterhasz

Now get a room already!

• NeelyCam

No – instead, get inside the octagon. So we can see better.

• Krogoth

Because, you are not worth the trouble.

You have demostrated too many times that you are nothing more than an obvious troll. πŸ˜‰

Logic and reason, don’t exist in your world. Just baseless ridicule and arguing for argument’s sake.

• continuum

For some reason I’m finding my Q6600 rig won’t overclock as well with an NEC USB 3.0 card installed. So the lack of USB 3.0 plus a slower overclock might compel me to upgrade to Sandy Bridge sooner rather than later.

Plus memory prices are dirt cheap, I can go to 16GB from my current 8GB…

No, your “e-penis” is now about “nothing is really that much better than my Q6600@3.0GHz“. Your penis moved, but it’s still hanging out in the open. Zip your fly. πŸ˜€

• Krogoth

Is there something that you aren’t telling us? πŸ˜‰

• Materiel

Yes, when Apple releases a new iMac with Sandy Bridge inside! πŸ™‚

• blastdoor

I’ll be waiting for a Mac Pro with two 8 (at least) core xeons, each running at least 3 GHz, and at a reasonable price (less than $4,000).

• pedro

You may be waiting a while there. Stay strong. πŸ˜‰

• ssidbroadcast

I put down “not sure” but if I do it would have to be a Macbook Pro with Sandy Bridge–if that happens.

• srg86

Once things settle down for us, we’re very much going to be building new Sandy Bridge machines. I can definitely see people with current Corei7s not wanting to yet though, even the Core 2 is still a potent processor. But coming from a Socket 939 machine, it will be a big upgrade!

• NeronetFi

Same here my Athlon 64 X2 4400+ has been showing its age lately.

• Risme

I voted “Not yet, waiting on Llano/Bulldozer” but maybe “Not Sure” would have been a more accurate answer. In any case, i’m not in a hurry to upgrade because i’m currently not playing much at all and my C2D E6400 is fast enough for basic stuff like browsing and some office apps. I need to replace my old 1024×768 native resolution 17″ crt with new two high quality lcds that have decent resolution. That will probably happen sometime in second half this year so i’ll build a new system that fits best my budget and requirements at that time and hopefully 28nm gpus are starting to come out by then too.

• NeronetFi

Once I see what Bulldozer Llano/Bulldozer has to offer I will make a decision

• bthylafh

I’d like to, but having a 1-year-old is expensive. If my motherboard finishes going out, I expect I will anyway. MB, CPU, and RAM should only run $350 or so.

• Blazex

waiting for bulldozer to preview, going that route when i feel like it.

• BoBzeBuilder

My poor E5200. Have to wait until Skyrim arrives before I decide what kind of a PC I’ll need.

• NeelyCam

“Yes, soon”. 2600K is on the way, but I’ll wait for 25nm SSDs before putting the rig together.

• NeelyCam

Testing…

• grantmeaname

Everything you do seems to get flooded in -1s. Sorry, buddy, I still like you.

• NeelyCam

Thanks, bro. Don’t worry about me – I don’t take it personally.

• BoBzeBuilder

Poor NeelyCam, leave him be. Hang in there bro.

• NeelyCam

No need to worry. Children like to play games; I understand that. They’ll have plenty of time to act like adults later.

• NeelyCam

Tejas seems to have the same problem… -4 so far

• cegras

Except his reply seems to border on unreasonable.

• btb

Ditto. Unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait until Q2 for the next generation SSDs.

• Stargazer

Oh? Has Intel updated their release schedule, or are you guessing based on the delay?

• thermistor

I voted nope, but that’s not quite true, as I may at some point in the distant future.

I just got a Core i7 960 CPU through an Intel sponsored program. It was only $100, but I’m cheap and don’t want to spend $200 on the very expensive socket 1366 boards. Yeah, you can get ones for less, but from mfg’s I don’t really trust. And moving to DDR3 memory, additional $$$.

Maybe the 960 gets built, but well into SB’s tenure…

• Goty

You might actually be pleasantly surprised by some of the second-tier boards. I had a very good experience with my Biostar T-Power X58 before swapping it for a UD3R v2.0.

• sweatshopking

what program is this? how do we get free/cheap things? help a brother out!!

• 5150

I remember Intel used to do this for employees of places like Best Buy, I remember I worked at a smaller computer store and tried to get in because it was crazy cheap to buy high end stuff but they’d never let me do it. Always ignoring the little guy.

• thermistor

SSK:

It’s a retail training/promotion program called Intel Retail Edge, mainly for retail chain employees like Best Buy, MicroCenter, Fry’s etc., but Intel usually has a retail promotion program where contract reps do things like assisted sales, training, promotion, etc.

Between Thanksgiving and Xmas, I worked for the contract company and logged enough “chips” to qualify, through the promotion program. So, it involved making OK $, but giving up 6-7 straight weekends. The company name is Actionlink, but Intel has farmed it to several companies I think over the past several years.

• Mithent

Still on a Q6600 at 3GHz at the moment, and not planning on upgrading just yet. Sure, Sandy Bridge is a lot faster, but I don’t feel it’s really holding me back sufficiently to warrant an upgrade right now, especially given that I’d also need a new motherboard and RAM.

• ReAp3r-G

Just threw in a Q8300 about 6 months ago from an aging E4400. Don’t think I’ll be upgrading soon in terms of CPU.

• sweatshopking

not unless it’s free. my q6600 is fast enough for anything i’ve ever done.

• tejas84

Going for Sandy Bridge LGA2011 due later this year irrespective of how well Bulldozer does.

• anotherengineer

lolz

buy me one when your at it

• JustAnEngineer

I built mine a week ago.

P.S.: There was already a poll thread in the forums on this topic.
    [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75001&p=1053107[/url<]

• wibeasley

I’m curious how the front page population differs from the forum population.

• moshpit

I’m the one vote for “Yes, soon”. I already have a Core i7 920 + X58 rig on one side of my desk and a Core i7 860 + P55 rig on the other. But my wife’s rig is still an older Core 2 Quad Q6600 on a P35 mobo, with 4Gb of DDR2. It’s very long of tooth compared to the i7 rigs.

The plan will follow the standard path that upgrades take around here. I’ll get a new 2600K+P67 mobo and ram for my rig, forcing the i7 860 + P55 setup to the secondary rig beside my primary. The i7 920 + X58 setup in the secondary right now will then move over to my wife’s rig, allowing the Q6600 + P35 + ancient DDR2 to be retired.

• 5150

I’ve got a Core i7 920 OC’d to 3.6GHz, not seeing much reason to switch yet. I’ll probably wait until some six cores become available for running all my VM’s.

…and first.

• aspect

I’ve got the same setup, my next upgrade will probably be Haswell.

• End User

I’m happy with my OC’ed 920 for gaming and I’ve got a dedicated VM machine. Ivy Bridge looks interesting so I’m just going to stick with what I have.