Release roundup: Cases and workstation laptops

Now that the swirl of CES craziness has died down, we’re going back to our regularly scheduled release roundups. Our inbox has collected announcements from Antec, Eurocom, and Lian-Li this week.

• Antec broadens gaming line with Six Hundred V2 case. Not content with the new goodies it showed us at CES, Antec has followed up by introducing the Six Hundred V2, a mid-range enthusiast enclosure with a window, an upside-down layout, a motherboard tray cut-out behind the CPU, and a “cable management compartment for tidier routing.” There’s also a hot-swappable hard-drive caddy at the front and a big 200-mm fan at the top.
  • Eurocom unleashes the 15″ Eurocom Racer. If you’re familiar with Eurocom, you’ll know the company has a good number of chunky workstation laptops under its belt. This latest one, the 15.6″ Racer, takes things to the next level by incorporating Intel’s new dual- and quad-core Sandy Bridge processors. It also supports up to 32GB of RAM, up to two solid-state or mechanical drives, and MXM 3.0 graphics modules wth GPU options up to the GeForce GTX 485M. As a nice touch for workstation users, Eurocom has also gone with a 1920×1080 display panel. None of that 1366×768 nonsense here, thank you very much.

• Lancool releases three new PC cases at once. What would you do if you had a million dollars? If you answered “three cases at the same time,” you might like Lancool’s latest announcement. The Lian-Li subsidiary has simultaneously introduced the $78 PC-K57, the $97 PC-K59, and the $128 PC-K63, which together make up the First Knight series. All three cases have upside-down internal layouts, sideways hard-drive cages, holes for cable routing behind the motherboard tray, and USB 3.0 ports on the external bezel. The PC-K57 has fewer bays than the others. Meanwhile, the PC-K59 and PC-K63 are pretty similar—the latter just has a window, LED front fans, and black guts added to the mix. Look for these in stores in early March.

Try as case makers might to be trendy, I’m still not into the whole case-window thing. My computers spend most of their lifetimes tucked away under my desk, where a window would do little good apart from perhaps letting me know when I need to dust the inside. I’d be much happier if more case makers copied Antec’s P180 and P190 series by offering composite panels to minimize vibration and noise.

• Kurkotain

the “three cases at the same time” thing made my morning, thank you

• highlandr

Great office space reference. I quote that movie in my head far more often than I should, but I’m the only one that hears it…

• dpaus

That Eurocom laptop-workstation looks enticing – 1920×1080 matte screen, AMD graphics, SB processors, USB 3 ports…. I probably wouldn’t want to know the prices, though!

• chischis

Oh god those are all tremendously UGLY. Come on Fractal Design, where is the Arc?

• axeman

UGLY is stretching it. We need a word with a little more punch to it. VILE and REVOLTING come to mind. Mind you, the same culture that brings us dekotora probably heavily influences a lot of case designs, so it’s hardly surprising they turn out this junk.

• KoolAidMan

And Corsair is still one of the few companies that has a clue. I’m so happy they got into the case game, look at all this garbage.

Man that Antec is all blingy, though they finally added something that I really really wanted – cable routing holes. I got that on my CM 690 II, and using them and only the cables I need with my modular power supply, the inside of my case is super clean looking. Would have been a Sonata Proto if the Sonata family had routing holes. Would have been a P183 if I had been able to get in on when it was on sale for $120, or if they had a “P170” series with similar features and slightly smaller size.

• Voldenuit

Dollars to donuts some dumbass will try to lift the 600v2 by the plastic rails on the top cover and snap them off.

• destroy.all.monsters

Sounds like something I’d do.

• PenGun

Still using my ancient 24″ tower from the dawn of ATX. The first case that would do ATX I ever bought. My older AT case was a desktop style hauling an OC’d PPro. Nice machine and did a wonderful job on Quake.

Was beige, painted it red with auto paint when I went 939. Looks pretty nice actually. Now has a 24″ furnace filter covering the open side to make my Prolimatech Megahalem happy.

I will use it till ATX goes away.

• Lupy314

I dunno, I think that the K57 and K59 look fine. I’m not into those blazing front LEDs on the K63 though. Considering their prices and their front USB, those might be a good buy.

• albundy

why so much unnecessary plastic, Antec? your three hundred looked perfectly sleek!

• herothezero

Agreed; the Three Hundred is one of the best cases out there.

• internetsandman

It was one of the best cases, and from a value standpoint, it still is. However, the lack of cable management or a CPU cutout (from what i remember looking at it) plus forward facing hard drive cages (personal pet peeve) make it a less than ideal case for anything I’d wanna build. The CM 690 II or the Fractal Design Define R3 and XL are the best value cases IMO, it’s hard to get really better than that without much bigger pockets

• Sargent Duck

Did all these case designers get hit upside the head with the ugly stick? Gawd!

Personally, the Antec Sonata III is one of the most pleasing cases to look at (my current case), but Antec even managed to screw that up with Sonata IV!

• Duck

Noooooooooooooo not this madness again :@

• ew

I’ve been called ugly, fugly, pugly, pug fugly… but not PC case ugly!