Couch surfing to get easier thanks to Logitech M515 mouse

Logitech has unveiled a new mouse for couch potatoes. According to Electronista, the M515 has been designed to track smoothly on upholstery. It also features a smooth underbelly to keep dust, crumbs, and other particulate from mucking with the optical sensor.

Couch cushions are hardly flat and stable, making inadvertent input a real problem. To combat this issue, the M515 employs a sensor to determine whether your hand is actually on the device. If it’s not, the mouse’s laser is turned off. This handy little feature is likely responsible for the two years of battery life Logitech is claiming for the M515.

Signals from the mouse are transmitted wirelessly to your PC via an RF link to an included USB adapter. The M515 also offers an ambidextrous design that should appeal to lefties, and you can switch the scroll wheel between clicky and smooth configurations. However, it doesn’t look like forward or back buttons made the cut.

While I can’t find a North American launch date or price for the M515, it’s scheduled to hit Europe in April for £49.99 ($80 USD if you do a direct currency conversion). That seems a little pricey for what looks like a very basic mouse. Even so, I’ve done enough mousing from the couch to appreciate what the M515 brings to the table cushions. Dear Logitech, come up with a gaming version with a few extra buttons, please.

So, they’ve put a sealed sensor in a mouse? That’s nice.

I’ve been sofa-mousing for over a decade. Maybe twice, ever, I’ve had to turn my sofa mouse upside down, and blow a fluffball out of it. That’s maybe three or four seconds of my life that I WILL NEVER GET BACK.

This new design will definitely save me from ever having to do that again, which is a huge relief.

• albundy

is it with darkfield or just regular laser? my performance mx has no problems on couches nor glass, and the super scroll is unmatched by any other mouse out there.

• HisDivineShadow

That’s a lot of money for not a lot of mouse.

• cynan

I’ve been using a Logitech MX 5500 Revolution bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for all of my “couch surfing” needs – and it more or less works great. Tracks well on almost anything (except clear glass) including my, um, couch. And the bluetooth gives it a nice across-room range (a good 10 to 15 ft anyway – maybe more, haven’;t tested – so long as there are no solid structures between it and the receiver).

A bit pricey, but if you can find it for a bit of a deal (< $100) , as I did, then recommended for couch surfing

• BooTs

Ok, nice, sounds good… yes, that’s a great idea…

“RF link to an included USB adapter.”

Oh. Too bad.

RF link never works out well enough. The range is unreliable and in my experience, TERRIBLE.

Why not bluetooth? Why?

• Corrado

RF is perfectly fine. The range on Logitech stuff seems to be 30-40 feet in most cases.

• glynor

Exactly. Both the Logitech and Microsoft current-gen RF input devices have been great. I’ve been using a wide variety of RF mice and keyboards on my HTPC for a long time, even before I built an in-room full time dedicated HTPC (when I had cables run from another room).

RF used to be terrible unless you paid for the $150+ “presenter” capable remotes. However, the current gen ones tend to work [i<]better than[/i<] the bluetooth variants (which are impossible to find anyway and have awful battery life generally). Certainly works well if you have the RF receiver anywhere in the living room now.

• Duck

Bluetooth uses RF lol

• mcnabney

Bluetooth is slower than your typical RF solutions.

Logitech has improved their RF offerings by moving to the 2.4ghz range which allows lots of bandwidth and enhanced range. They are also pushing interoperation between many of their devices. I still use a Logitech Bluetooth-based mouse, but would be happy to upgrade to their newer RF offerings. However, they charge a lot and my current solution still works pretty well.

• Sargent Duck

I’ve been using the MX1000 for my “couch surfing”, works fine on my couch/pant leg/magazine. Few hiccups, but over all nothing I can’t get around

• lilbuddhaman

Same here, though the range is 1-2ft less than I need it to be..But it still beats getting up to smash that space bar when the phone rings.

• vince

I can’t believe they’re still trying to make a mouse like that to use while on the couch. Even if it works perfectly on any surface… That’s not the real issue. Most couches have rounded arm rest, or if you use it on the seat, you probably don’t have enough space. It’s plain and simply cumbersome to use such a mouse this way. The best mouse to use in this purpose are trackball type mice (wireless of course). They’ve been available for years now and I’ve been using one for years with my HTPC setup. Can’t see using anything else in any convenient way.

• Firestarter

not even a touchpad?

• miken

Trackballs are essentially serial access, mice == random access. I’ve used both and the issue with trackballs / trackpoints / etc. is the “press and wait” or “roll roll roll” that makes getting from point A to point B on the screen a function of the distance. Even though a mouse or trackpad has to literally cover the same distance (modulo acceleration), there’s hardly any wait because as soon as you can think where you want to be, your hand has already moved the mouse / contact point there. You can do it almost all through muscle memory, whereas with ball / point, you have to look at the screen and adjust your response based on the motion of the pointer — a feedback loop with an additional built-in delay for human reaction time. I can’t stand using these devices because I feel like there is molasses interposed between me and the machine — everything happens slower than it does when I’m using a trackpad or mouse.

OTOH perhaps in the living room, with the light mousing of typical HTPC usage, the advantages of a trackball make it a wash. My personal preference would still be the mouse if Logitech has really solved the “furniture mousing” problem. So yeah, there’s definitely a market for this.

• Usacomp2k3

You’re doing it wrong then. Trackballs require no more thought then regular mice once you get used to them and can be much more useful when you set the sensitivity correctly.

I find trackballs to be superior to mice when it comes to documents/web browsing. Basically anything outside of gaming and maybe graphics manipulation (then again, a tablet would be better than a mouse in that area). The real question would be are you one of those freaks that prefer a thumb-trackball instead of the cool kids that know the finger trackball is the superior choice.

• mcnabney

Trackballs make use of a very different type of dexterity. Almost completely unsuitable for things like games.

As to using a mouse on the couch, well, I am doing it right now. Using a Logitech MX laser mouse (Bluetooth).

• potatochobit

uhhh, I hope it doesn’t go crazy when you ‘touch’ it to pick it up

• Duck

Not really good enough and too expensive.

Needs to be more remote like with way more buttons.