New Rage screenshots released

While surfing this morning, I stumbled across this post over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun revealing that id Software has released a trio of new Rage screenshots on the Bethdesa Blog. The screenshots come along with a redesign of the game’s official website and profiles of developers John Carmack, Tim Willits, and Matt Hooper. Those profiles don’t reveal anything new about the game, but the fresh screenshots sure do look purdy:

You can find the other two, plus a higher-resolution copy of the above shot, in the gallery below.

Rage is due out for the PC and consoles on September 13, breaking a long tradition of id games that were released “when it’s done” rather than on a specific schedule. The official release date was actually announced way back in August. At the time, lead design Tim Willits promised the “biggest, coolest, and most badass launch possible.” Way to manage expectations, Tim. There’s already no shortage of anticipation for this title, especially among PC gamers itching for something to take advantage of the latest and greatest graphics hardware.

• DarkUltra

I hope we finally get polygon blood instead of the usual red puffy sprites. Check out cellfactor if for example.

• Rakhmaninov3

Great-looking sky and explosions, ho-hum other stuff. Immediately thought of Borderlands when I looked at the pictures.

I hope it’s fun!

• blitzy

Hate to be negative, but I’d say rage is going to fizzle. id certainly were pioneers, but they have been steadily heading downhill since q2 IMO.

surpassed by both epic and valve

• bcronce

Less excited about the game and more excited about the engine. Carmack has always made wonderful engines that no other company can touch.

I want to see lots of new games and a real reason to purchase a new card.

• ColdMist

Bethdesa blog 😉

I’ve never heard of that one.

• tay

Looks great to me, the sky, depth of field effects, and the textures in each of the 3 screenshots look good.

• Meadows

Sky art is beautiful, and lots of thought is put into the landscape, but as others have pointed it out already, the setting is overdone and Rage is late in delivering us anything new about said setting.

A downside of the ultra-scalable graphics is lack of definition on the man’s clothing though, I guess. Not even Carmack can put everything into one engine it seems, which is a pity, because I idolise the guy for his work.

• sweatshopking

I really like that sky. it’s gorgeous.

• kamikaziechameleon

I originally had doubts but the game engine has come so far, the AI has really dramatically improved and now I just hope for the game I wanted borderlands, stalker, and fallout 3 to be.

• swaaye

Yeah we’ll see. But I love the Stalker games….

• PenGun

Stalker 2 is in progress. On the Rage engine it would be very fine.

• HisDivineShadow

id and Bethesda share the same owner. Perhaps we might see the Fallout game you always wanted using the Rage engine. Eventually.

I’m kinda surprised they don’t just retool Rage a bit and make it into a Fallout game. It’s close enough already. Throw in a vault here, a dog there, and have Hellboy narrate the intro.

Boom. The first Fallout action shooter. After that, they can go after the coveted kart racing and fighting genres with Fallout Racing: Mutant Mash and Fallout Vs: The Vault Warriors. Hell, I bet they could make a nice bit of coin on an iOS game, Fallout Dogz where you shoot various kinds of dogs at mutants hiding in bases. Each kind of dog would have a special ability that helps it knock over the bases and destroy those doggone mutants.

• StuG

Stick a fork in me, I’m done with this type setting for a game. -_-

• Rectal Prolapse

They need to make a special videocard that can handle eleventy billion shades of gray and brown!

• DarkUltra

But first they must make computer monitors that actually display all the greys

The display was equally unable to separate very dark grays from absolute black. As a result, we had a difficult time seeing what was happening in the Blu-ray version of Watchmen’s opening fight sequence.
        [url<]http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/asus_vg236h_120hz_display_review[/url<]

• WildNelson

Looks like Borderlands, but without the cool cell-shading.

• Meadows

The one that made Borderlands look ridiculous except for the talking annoying robot?

• sweatshopking

you mean “and had a super annoying robot”. borderlands was horrible. I beat it, and really wished the concept was better done. but it wasn’t. this game should be better.

• thesmileman

The Claptrap was the best part of Borderlands and he was AWESOME! I love the different versions of him throughout the game.

• indeego

By versions you mean colors?

• sweatshopking

are you actually high? that was possibly the most annoying thing in the world.

• thesmileman

The seem to be using a similar shading effect they have just made it standout less.