Poll: How do you get most of your video content?

Video content is available from a wide variety of sources these days. A lot of it is still broadcast over the airwaves or via cable providers, but online services are becoming increasingly popular, as are full-season DVD and Blu-ray releases. Then there’s BitTorrent and other illegitimate means of obtaining the latest episodes of Jersey Shore Top Gear. So, how do you get most of your video content?

In our last poll, we asked whether you’re planning on upgrading to Sandy Bridge. Impressively, 9% of those who voted have Intel’s latest CPU in their immediate future. Another 18% are planning an upgrade soon, suggesting that we could be looking at a fairly major upgrade cycle. Of course, 31% are content to wait a little longer to see what AMD has in store with Llano and Bulldozer. 32% of voters aren’t interested in Sandy Bridge at all, presumably because their current systems are in no need of an upgrade.  Finally, 10% of folks simply aren’t sure whether a Sandy Bridge upgrade is in the cards.

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t like the wording of this poll.

I get video from a bunch of sources, cable, Blu-Ray, online, ah “other” online, but I’m not sure I get “most” of them from any one source.

• dashbarron

The local library! $1 for new release DVDs, plus there’s that “good feeling” factor of helping out the well needed, and deserving institution.

• BobbinThreadbare

Damn man, DVDs are free at my library. Blu-Rays do cost a buch though.

• paulWTAMU

Where’s the physical rentals option? (Netflix for me). D/l speeds aren’t good enough to watch high def video in streaming for me so…

• Myrmecophagavir

What’s the distinction between “over-the-air broadcast TV” and “digital TV service”? Does the former mean analogue terrestrial only? I guess for the purposes of this poll the first two could really be lumped together as just “traditional TV”.

• BobbinThreadbare

OTA is free, cable is not. I’m pretty sure by Digital TV service, they mean a service you are paying for.

• Myrmecophagavir

Sounds reasonable. Kinda difficult to map to the UK experience though, since we don’t get anything free due to the TV License, but do have no-extra-cost digital and satellite thanks to Freeview and Freesat.

• StashTheVampede

Yarrr is such an easy choice, but lets ask about a grey area/situation.

You’re paying for cable TV/internet. You don’t like their DVR (which you have to rent the box and service), yet you d/l the TV shows that are available with your current subscription level. Are you in the Yarrr category? You are getting the same programming that you paid for, but getting it in a format that isn’t with commercials, can be played back in many devices beyond the DVR, etc.

Are you in the Yarrr category or other?

• nafhan

Those are justifications for what you do (albeit legitimate ones, IMO), and I’d be willing to bet those reasons wouldn’t hold up in court, so probably “Yarrr”. Again, what you’re doing seems reasonable, but as far as legality goes reasonableness has never really been part of the picture.

• StashTheVampede

I’m not justifying my actions, but I’m trying to bring up a grey area.

You have cable service with XYZ plan (that doesn’t have HBO). Your plan does include DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, ESPNHD. You also rent the DVR and pay its service fee. But you still d/l the shows (that you have access to)…

Illegal? Yes.
        Grey? Yes.

The same argument could be made about MP3s. Instead of ripping my entire collection of some band (that is 20+ physical CDs), I obtain the mp3s of only those tracks.

• NeelyCam

Love the topic! +1

I don’t think the MP3 example and the cableTV/internet situation are quite equal. Assuming you are legally allowed to rip your own CDs to turn them into MP3s (something that I think Sony was trying to claim is illegal in itself), I don’t see a difference in ripping them or downloading them… in both cases, the content provider gets compensated equally (cost of the CD).

The cableTV/internet situation is a bit trickier. It could be argued that advertising revenue from commercials is part of the expected revenue stream for the content provider/creator. Although you have access to the programming by virtue of paying for your cable subscription (and the cable box/DVR), by downloading commercial-free versions of the content, you effectively reduce the revenue of the content provider. If everyone was doing this, content provider would lose their advertisers and the revenue from advertising.

If you were downloading the programming with the commercials included, then I’d say what you’re doing is fine. I don’t see a grey area with this from the “spirit of the law” point of view.

[quote<]I like talking about how I don't watch video (39 votes)[/quote<] This option is hysterical, and it's a great example of how humor has an element of truth to it. In this case, I KNOW people like this and they're all LIKE this. They're proud of how they "don't own a TV" and "aren't wasting time and money on mindless entertainment".

• ludi

If you don’t have it, you can’t spend time on it. I grew up without a TV in the home and there was no shortage of available activities (although once I was in college and semi-independent on the computer side of things, I got pretty heavily into video games for a while, which drove my dad nuts).

This tended to provoke two consecutive responses from gradeschool classmates once word got around:

1. “Dude, you really don’t have a TV? Aren’t you, like, totally bored? What do you [i<]do[/i<]?" 2. "Uhm...do you have a [i<]radio[/i<] or anything? This wasn't on account of bragging, it usually involved a conversation in the form of "did you watch 'x' last night", "no," "why not, it's really good", "don't have a tv", followed by the inevitable Moment of Boggle. I'm not opposed to video entertainment on principle and usually get an hour or two of current stuff each week off Hulu plus whatever I keep around on DVD, but it amazes me how much people will bend their lives around a pre-programmed schedule of escapism.

• paulWTAMU

I lived without a TV for a while and tried to not be that person. I may have been a bit (I dont’ think so but…)
      I have a coworker now that’s like it and it drives me frakking nuts. And what’s worse is she uses it as an excuse to not know…anything…about what’s going on in the town/state/world. We’ll talk about a show or movie and she’ll but in with a “well, Id on’t have a tv ya’ll” and we’re like ORLY? So surprised…

• ludi

Solution: Next time she drops that tidbit into the conversation, everyone turns to her in shock and says “You [i<]what?[/i<] We had no idea! We'll help you out!", and then buys her a $15 junkyard tube from Goodwill. Somewhere around the third or fourth time, she'll drop the topic entirely.

• NeelyCam

OTA broadcasts.. can’t get any cheaper. And with TiVo, it can’t get any easier.

I do stream from Netflix a bit + get about 1 bluray/week by mail, but 1) Comcast hates netflix, so streaming quality sucks, and 2) I hate waiting for 4-5 months before I get my hands on any new bluray releases.

• tbone8ty

yarrr! content be slowly dwindling away. nim witted corporate A holes trying to take me treasure!

• bdwilcox

RedBox, especially now that they rent Blu-Rays!

• NeelyCam

There is a small no-brand electronics store near my home that rents brand-new blurays for $0.99 per day – and I’m talking [i<]brand new[/i<] instead of that 30-day-old crap (like RedBox/Netflix). For some reason, I haven't tried that yet...

• Palek

Off topic, but something is seriously wrong with TR on Opera today. The comment system is totally messed up, vertical and horizontal lines running across all posts, voting button not visible (not that I care much about them), the comment window reduced to about 20 characters x 2 lines. Anyone else having problems?

• Palek

Well, that was weird. All fine now…

OTA, Netflix, Hulu and Yarrr for me. I don’t have cable and I don’t really miss it. Reading forums on the internets is far more entertaining than any reality show.

• Usacomp2k3

You must miss it enough to watch the content via other means.

• m2h

OP other means doesn’t include over excessive commercials that Cable/Sat providers use though. Not to mention a lot stuff that is of no interest. Nice thing about online you get the media you want, when you want.

• BobbinThreadbare

He’s found other ways to get the content, so why would he miss the service?

• Jon

I heard Yarrr has some of the best stuff.

• Krogoth

OTA for local news and weather

Yarrr for everything else, because I am too cheap to build a HTPC/DVR.

• cynan

In canada, the cable companies are getting away with murder with their arkane stranglehold on content provision.

As a result, we tech savvy Canadians are really only left with 1 option: Yarrr!

Rediculous and sad that it is.

I would love to have some decent pay-to-stream option, but it’s just not there.

Hulu? Nope

Netflix? Yes, but the content is so limitted right now it’s practically a joke.

I would even happilly pay for cable (and have) if I could actually pay for what I wanted. However the tiered price system the local cable provider has is the next thing to extortion.

An example: I would love to get basic cable and pay for a few extra channels that I like and would actually watch – like HBO. But to get HBO, I have to first upgrade from basic caple to “VIP” cable for 3 or 4 times the price (and get like 50+ extra channels I would hardly watch). Then, I need to buy the “movie” package for another $40 or so, pushing the total bill to well over $100/month. Just for HBO. No thanks. And yet I would love to pay an extra like $15 or $20 a month to support HBO. But I can’t. And that sucks.

So Yarrr! it is until those clowns pull their greedy heads out of their asses.

• tejas84

Do Canadians say Yarrr?

I have never been to Canada but I have never come across people saying Yarrr in the USA!

Please enlighten me

• indeego

Yehhhhhr!

• Incubus

I mainly watch utube vids and live streams of SSF4 and BBCS.
    can’t stand hollywood or anything related to the US media.

• adisor19

OK seriously, how can you vote otherwise, when the “Yarrr” option is there ?! Talk about a biased poll 😉

Adi

• firestorm02

The path of least resistance.

I would love to pay for BBC F1 on-demand but the powers that be say NO! So I must resort to “other” means to get my fix. The majority I get through legit means, Cable, DVD, On-Demand with the exception of TV shows. With HTPC’s being useless (through cable) due to broadcast flags I have no prob downloading shows I watch once and essentially throwaway.

• travbrad

It really depends if it’s movies or TV. TV I tend to just stream online (although I barely watch any TV).

For movies I usually rent from Netflix. Sometimes I use their streaming, but they have a lot of movies that aren’t on their streaming service (especially the older somewhat obscure movies I’m usually looking for).

I admit I do also do some Yarrring, but typically only if I can’t find it anywhere else for a reasonable price ($60 for an uncommon DVD on ebay isn’t reasonable, especially considering none of that money goes to the creators).

The worst offender of all is my favorite sport, Formula 1. Where I live the only way to see it is to pay $100+/mo for a premium cable package, and even then it has commercial breaks every 5-10mins… I’d gladly pay to stream/download the races online, but they simply don’t offer that. Whereas in the U.K. they get all the races commercial free as part of their regular TV, not to mention great amounts of pre-race/post-race, and practice/qualifying, AND the ability to stream/watch them online.

• crose

Torrents or Newsgroups.

For music I do use a paid subscription service.. SEE!!! I am not a total free-loader.

• Jambe

I still buy physical media and rip it. *shrug*

• NeelyCam

What do you do with the physical media when you’re done?

I have piles and piles of CDs and DVDs I don’t know what to do with..

• RobbyBob

Build a ship with it. And then Yarrr!

• Jambe

They’re all in a closet I built into the garage specifically for that purpose.

• jdaven

“Impressively, 9% of those who voted have Intel’s latest CPU in their immediate future. Another 18% are planning an upgrade soon, suggesting that we could be looking at a fairly major upgrade cycle.”

Are you kidding me with that statement?

• Game_boy

If 27% of those who own a CPU and GPU that cost more than $100 (probably the threshold of being an enthusiast, and therefore represented by this TR poll) bought an SB processor in the next 3 months, that would be a massive, massive sales spike.

• jstern

Youtube. Don’t watch much, just One Life To Live.

• BiffStroganoffsky

My buddy’s DVD library and his Netflix rentals. I just wish his taste in prOn was better.

• jstern

What’s in his collection? What do you prefer?

• sweatshopking

pron? seriously? you could do what I do, and have a hot wife.

• kvndoom

Ha ha you know what they say about those… for every hot chick, there’s some poor guy out there who’s stuck with dealing with all her issues. 😉

• NeelyCam

But SSK [i<]likes[/i<] cleaning..

• jstern

Congratulations, having a hot wife is good, but it just seems like you wanted to crowbar that in into the conversation. Now if what I said was something like, “Omg, pron is so great,” or just simply, “pron is good,” then your comment would fit right in, but the way it is right now, it just sounded like you were just looking for a way to mention you have a hot wife.

• NeelyCam

Biff implied that pr0n is good in general, by virtue of complaining about his buddy’s taste in pr0n.

SSK’s comment was perfectly justified.

• jstern

No, because he was replying to me, he wasn’t replying to the other guy. Anyway you cut it, he was obviously trying to force feed the fact that he has a good looking wife.

• ludi

Why, you jealous?

• jstern

How is describing something being jealous? (Also considering that I wouldn’t consider getting married until I’m old and my options become less and less.) It really sounds like I’m dealing with one person with multiple accounts. Perhaps a person who’s really insecure that they have to force feed into comments that they have a hot wife, and not only that, but share pictures of the hot wife with other techreport users. An insecure person like that would definitely create multiple accounts to come and defend themselves, since the fact that you and another account would care so much about something so small really doesn’t add up.

• ludi

The fact that you just spent all this time feeding on it is what makes me ask. But it’s still only a question, not an accusation.

[quote<]It really sounds like I'm dealing with one person with multiple accounts.[/quote<] lolwut? This thread's about to get really interesting. I may need popcorn.

• NeelyCam

SSK didn’t post any links to pics of his wife. Somebody else googled her and posted a link.

I’m with ludi – you’re just jealous.

I love that months later you’re still in character. You’re like the professional wrestling of TR.

• NeelyCam

No, that’s TimmyC on SemiAccurate.
            SSK is living it – have you not seen the pics?

there are pics? Do link.

• Buzzard44

Yeah, I’ve been hearing about SSK’s hot wife for months now, and I think it’s time I finally see what all the fuss is about.

SSK, at first I really despised you, but you’re such a good troll that now I really like you. You’re very consistent in maintaining form and attitude, which adds to the experience. Bravo.

• crabjokeman

If you have a hot wife, then why do you spend so much time trolling TR? I assume you’re impotent.

• Usacomp2k3

It’s funny seeing people try to justify their illegitimate watching of content.

• indeego

It’s also funny to see the word [i<]illegitimate[/i<] used. It's just a [b<]funny[/b<] word. Gonna go mock the kids with it.

• ludi

Hey, kids, you’re all [i<]illegitimate[/i<]! Wait, that didn't come out right...

• cygnus1

I’m pretty sure fair use covers format and time shifting. I believe the SCOTUS has done the justifying for me anyway.

• yogibbear

It’s funny how people think that neanderthal business practices deserve to make money when they can’t get their bits and bytes to my country in a timely manner (read faster than 6-12 months) that is more convenient that yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Sad but true.

• NeelyCam

If you hate businesses, 1) vote our the republicans and vote in the democrats, or 2) vote with your money.

Break the law -> go to jail.

• travbrad

Yeah it’s a good thing democrats aren’t influenced by corporations/lobbyists! /sarcasm

• way2strong

It’s funny seeing people trying to apply their morals to everyone else.

• Anomymous Gerbil

He’s applying legal principles, not morals.

• way2strong

Legal principles in his country…

• moose17145

I find it funny that people expect me to care enough to try and justify it.

• spigzone

‘Illegitimate’ is a 25 million dollar fine for uploading a couple dozen songs.

• Mithent

BBC iPlayer, mostly.

• Unckmania

Damn. I didn’t see Yarr until i have already voted. Lol

• FormCode

Yarrr… Epic.

• donkeycrock

we are all real life modern Jack Sparrows.

You’re not nearly as good looking. You’re more like, I dunno, the captain in the painting that sings the intro to Spongebob.

• ReAp3r-G

That it be matey, that it be.

• thesmileman

i feel like we needed to be able to select multiple choices

• lonleyppl

Mainly Hulu. I like Netflix, but I don’t watch enough television/movies to justify anything other than free at the moment. That and Netflix doesn’t have a Linux client.

• Corrado

Most of it is cable with a DVR, but we Yarr a lot of TV as well. It somehow feels less evil. Some things we Hulu or Netflix as well. If its on Hulu or Netflix we don’t torrent, only if its a last resort.

• jpostel

I feel the same way. I use DVR and Netflix as much as possible, but every once in a while, I have to go searching for a particular episode of something and end up with Yarrr.

• cygnus1

My roommate and I split a very expensive DirecTV subscription and I have Netflix as well. But the majority of what I watch comes from NNTP.

• Sargent Duck

Depends: hockey I get streaming over the ‘net.

tv shows? yarrrr…but I justify it by buying the seasons as soon as they’re out on DVD. I have over 10 full seasons of tv on DVD (All 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1, first 12 seasons of Simpsons, 6 seasons of Home Improvement (missing 2), both seasons of released Castle) and so on. I feel justified that, at the end of it all, the tv manufactures still get paid.

Same with movies…although of recent their haven’t been any really good movies out worth buying. But I go to the theater quite a bit during the summer, so again, they get my money.

• cygnus1

Agreed. I have access to everything I yarrr via subscription to one service or another. I also spend a pretty good chunk of change at the theater. But the quality and convenience of the yarrr versions is better in my opinion.

• kvndoom

Hard to say… I do go the Yarrrr route sometimes, but I buy a good share of DVD’s too. Of course most movies I buy are ones I have already seen…

• yogibbear

A lot of TV shows i Yarrrr though i maintain a healthy CD/DVD collection of about 1000 CD’s and 100+ DVDs. But if i didn’t Yarrrrrr i wouldn’t own half as many CD/DVD’s as i wouldn’t have listened or watched anywhere near as much as I have. So…. Yarring = me spending more money anyway and then giving out free advertising for good shows by telling all my friends to watch X show which doesn’t come out in my country till Y date after it’s already been released in the US because this thing called global TV doesn’t exist yet despite cable/payTV/etc.

• RickyTick

For me it’s Netflix, but my wife watches a lot of digital cable TV and DVR services.