iPad 2 might be announced next week

We might not have to wait long to find out whether the iPad 2 will, as rumored, feature a higher-resolution display and other improvements. A story over at Macnotes.de quotes anonymous sources as saying Apple will unveil the device during a press event some time next week, even though actual availability may not follow until April.

The press event will reportedly be chiefly developer-centric and focused on iOS 4.3. However, Macnotes.net expects the iPad 2 to make an appearance as a "one more thing…" introduction. That certainly wouldn’t be the first time Apple pulled such a move.

Now, the folks at AppleInsider point out that, although Macnotes.de doesn’t have an "established track record" of getting Apple rumors right, the site "did obtain parts for a white iPhone 4 in December." AppleInsider also says there is evidence that Apple could release iOS 4.3 by February 13, and that the iPad 2 debuting in April seems likely, since the original iPad came out on April 3, 2010.

• JdL

Whenever it comes, this will be the first time Apple announces an iOS device without Steve Jobs. Can anyone deny the impact iOS has had on the industry… and all of the competition it started?

He’ll be missed. Wishing the best for Steve and his family.

• kyboshed

Hopefully they’ll release Xcode 4.0, which has been in beta for months.

• conjurer

I’m buying this as soon as second sun appears in the sky.

• crose

That would be weird since it would kill iPad sales Feb-April. But I guess everyone is already waiting for the iPad 2 and expect it to be released Feb-April.

• Arclight

I still wouldn’t buy a tablet, the only reason that would compell me would be if i’m standing on pile of cash and i’m watching a Stargate Atlantis marathon….

• sweatshopking

“Stargate Atlantis marathon”

and you needed something to repeatedly bash into your skull to knock yourself unconscious, rather than watch that awful show? get a hammer. it’s cheaper.

• Arclight

I liked Stargate Atlantis and if you watched a few episodes of the series you’d remember they always used some kind of tablets….if you didn’t like the show, i don’t care, for me it was great. Stargate Universe on the other hand is awefull, i couldn’t stand to watch more than 3 episodes of that series….

• sweatshopking

I’m just horsing around. I’ve never seen it. I did see the movie, when it originally came out.

• pdjblum

Speculation on whether there is going to be an announcement about something that might be. How far removed from reality is that. How f******up is that. This is beyond ridiculous. Why not speculate about a possible announcement concerning the chance that there might be an announcement in the not to distant future about an announcement.

I guess metaphysics apply to apple because their crap is so magical.

Get over it already. It is just a content delivery device designed to control the sale and delivery of dumbed down content to gullible sheep.

• jstern

That’s a big part of the apple culture if you go ion mac sites. Its their way of generating excitement over the smallest of news, giving the sence that something big and revolutionary is happening. It makes certain mind set feel as if they are going to be part of something huge.

• pdjblum

Copy that. Just do not get why Cyril is acting like an apple shrill.

• SPOOFE

It’s not like Apple’s products are, like, popular or anything right?

• hasseb64

Well, aint bying Ipod One, 2 or three.. (what I need is a Sandy bridge 13″)

• deb0

Wow another Apple product that:
    – assumes the common man is an idiot
    – has no usb interface
    – no consumer replacable battery.
    – no support for industry standard removable storage – SD, microSD, compactflash, etc…

• Palek

[quote<]Wow another Apple product that: - assumes the common man is an idiot[/quote<] And Apple are wrong in that assumption how? I do not mean to offend the common man, but he/she needs a dumbed down device. This is EXACTLY why Apple products are so popular outside geek circles. And yet geeks continue to blabber on endlessly about how Apple products are too simple for their vast intellect. Which puts into question their claim of intellectual superiority.

• NeelyCam

What’s your point? Your 2nd paragraph basically agrees that Apple is for dumb people, yet your 3rd paragraph is questioning that ‘geeks’ who complain about Apple products being too simple are not intellectually superior?

I personally prefer removable storage options… that’s one of the main reasons why I love my SanDisk Clip.

• Palek

I guess I didn’t phrase it clearly enough.

Apple has a very clear strategy of making simple, easy-to-use, albeit overpriced, products. And yet, even though this strategy is well thought-out and financially VERY successful, supposedly smart and tech-savvy folks continue to complain about it, making themselves sound quite unintelligent.

• plasticplate

Ah neely beat me to it, didnt c that 🙁

• plasticplate

Arent u just contradicting urself? U agree that it is dumbed down device and then u find fault with the geeks saying its a dumbed down device. Or r u just trying to say something that makes u look like a smart guy? Seriously lol’d at the phrase “claim of intellectual superiority”. U might wanna get some of that bro

• Palek

Just because somebody is not a technological wizard it doesn’t mean they’re dumb. Not everybody has a love affair with gadgets like the average TR visitor. The common man may be an idiot when it comes to computers but it doesn’t mean they are idiots all around.

I think it’s pretty dumb to incessantly berate a company that doesn’t cater to your needs when it is clear that it is not in the interest of said company to cater to your needs. There are all kinds of dumb.

That clear enough for ya?

• sweatshopking

– assumes the common man is an idiot

as has been said, seems to work. they’re the biggest tech company in the world

– has no usb interface

how do you know? you know what they’re going to leak before it’s shown? you’re likely right, but at this point, it’s speculation

– no consumer replacable battery.

hasn’t hurt them so far.

please see above comment

• kamikaziechameleon

I agree with you, its just sad a company can remove features and restrict content and charge more for it.

I would also sight their competitors as the issue here, no brand or company that produces mobile computers has ever designed a product of comparable build quality to what apple has right now. This is sad considering even with the quality of apples builds/design there is so much obvious room for improvement. But asus can’t help but have 999,999 SKUs of their netbooks and put out 5 ipad knock off SKUs. Why isn’t there a company out their that focuses their product line on providing better deveoped and supported platforms instead of a chasis design for every week of the year. I feel like there is no company that offers the best of all worlds you really has to choose as a consumer what you are willing to sacrifice.

• BobbinThreadbare

Thinkpads are higher quality than Apple products.

• sweatshopking

how are their screens and touch pads?

• BobbinThreadbare

For the screen it depends on the particular Thinkpad. For the touch pads, they are probably worse but that is one aspect.

How is the Mac Book nub mouse? How is the Mac Book roll cage? How is the Mac Book drain?

• PerfectCr

Cut the PC Elitist crap. I’ve been building my own PC’s forever and I use the iPad daily. None of the things you mentioned are even remotely missed when using the iPad.

• plasticplate

Has it ever occured to u that u probably dont represent the segment of people who use it for longer and need an extra battery or the people who need to connect some flash drive to transfer some stuff. Not saying the iPad is bad. In fact i really like the build quality of their products. I just dont like the way they control their ecosystem of devices.

• PerfectCr

“Use it for longer?” It’s clear to me you’ve never used an iPad. The battery in the iPad last twice as long as any tablet or laptop on the market. I can use Dropbox to transfer anything I need to the iPad. Who needs Flash drives when I can use “the cloud” anyway. The “control” of the ecosystem is what allows it to operate so well. Control in this case is not a bad thing and hasn’t hindered my productivity with the iPad one bit.

• dpaus

Isn’t [i<]hp[/i<] announcing their tablet next week? Coincidence?

• Rakhmaninov3

I thought Apple usually had things available to buy immediately after the announcement, am I wrong or are they changing tactics?

• sjl

The original iPad was announced in January last year, and couldn’t be had for love or money until April. The (major) reason? Developers had to be given a chance to update their software for the higher resolution display – sure, iPhone apps work just fine on the iPad, but if you have four times the number of pixels, you need new artwork for your app to not look like something the dog left on the lawn (compared with other applications on the same device.)

It makes sense, if the second revision has new features compared to the original (even if it’s just, say, a camera on the front), for Apple to tell developers about it so they can get their apps ready for it. And if you’re going to tell the general development community, you might as well tell the whole world; it’s not like the secret is going to stay a secret for long if you try to keep it contained to a few tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands, or millions) of people.

• BoBzeBuilder

I’m buying this as soon as I can and sending it for Mubarak.

• indeego

I’m buying an apple for my knife.

• Hattig

I’m buying this as soon as I can for myself.

• jdaven

I’m buying this as soon as I can for my wife.

• ShadowTiger

Also might be announced next week:

Leader of Egypt steps down due to public outcry

Google reveals new info about upcoming android OS

Facebook updates its privacy policy

Canada court overrules decision to allow forced bandwidth cap

MPAA & RIAA convince senate to propose yet another law to try to curb piracy

I don’t want non-iPad-enthusiasts such as myself to get left out of the speculation.

• solo_clipper

Can we have a /exclude/apple/ option like Engadget?

• Peffse

heh, that’s almost directly related to my option to remove blog posts from the RSS feed.

• jdaven

Ugh. Here we go.

TR is a tech news site. It reports on hardware and software of the tech industry. The top stories for today:

OCZ adds three 80 Plus Gold-rated PSUs
      Poll: What’s the worst PC hardware bug?
      Infographic makes sense of competing tablets
      Microsoft provides H.264 extension for Chrome
      National Carrot Cake Day Shortbread

None of these are Apple related stories. And the Shortbread has links to not one, not two but 58 news articles of which three are speculative articles about unreleased products none of them Apple related.

I don’t see you writing such a post on other speculative stories about other companies such as MS, Intel, etc. It’s obvious you only care if TR posts an apple story. And its further obvious you don’t like it.

Now Apple’s ipad has a top story entry. Every single time apple has released a non-computer (i.e. ipod, iphone, etc.) product in the last TEN years the entire industry shifts their focus on that product category. The ENTIRE industry.

TR would be absolutely remiss to leave out Apple related news since so much is riding on everything they do. Disagree with it or not. This is the reality of the tech industry right now.

BTW, political news such as stories on Egypt are mostly absent from TR except for Friday Night discussions which can have any topic under the sun including your favorite X, gun ownership, etc.

• BobbinThreadbare

I have no problem with Apple news being posted, but this isn’t news. It’s speculation on future news.

• dpaus

Like the fluff piece about how Ivy Bridge ‘might’ be 20% faster than Sandy Bridge?

• ShadowTiger

I wasn’t complaining about apple coverage… i just thought that I could poke fun at various tech-related issues (such as Facebook) while pointing out that this next week could be a momentous week in tech history. I believe most of the things i listed, including iPad 2 have a pretty high chance of happening in the near future… so I thought it might be appropriate to summarize it all even if TR decided not to do so.

• sweatshopking

i’m not sure why you even reply. It’s not going to stop. save your time and energy! 🙂

• Palek

Allow me to direct your attention to the TR logo in the top left corner of this web page. Got it? Okay. Now, read the small text under the giganic “The TECH REPORT” letters. What does it say? That’s right, “PC Hardware Explored!” Now, what does PC stand for? Right again, Personal Computer/Computing!!! Wow, this is going really well!

Okay, now, of all the headlines you quoted, which ones would you say fall under the “Personal Computer/Computing Hardware” category? … What was that? None of them? Yeah… Hmmm…

Okay, how about the iPad? Would you say that the iPad is a Personal Computing device? … Sorry, couldn’t hear you. Could you speak up? Yes? Was that a “yes?”

😉

• bill94el

What part of EXCLUDE do you not understand?

Nobody is asking to eliminate the elitist’s news, just the ability to opt-out.

Oh, and thanks for reinforcing the reason that most (read majority of) people would rather not be around a Mac snob.

I hope your toes feel better soon. Looks like they got stepped on real hard.

• Palek

Please point me to the part of his post where he talks about excluding anything.

Maybe you should check again which post I responded to. Looks like you stepped on your own toes, bub.

You must be about, what, 16? The world is not all black or white (PC or Mac), you know. Somehow, based on my (admittedly cheeky) statement that iPads are personal computing devices and as such deserve more attention on this [b<]PC hardware[/b<] website than Egyptian politics or Facebook goings-on, you made the incredible logical leap of concluding that I was a Mac snob. Well done, except that the only Apple device I possess is a 5-year old iPod. So, not so well done after all.

• bill94el

My apologies. That in-grown toenail is really hurting now!

In the default View Option there is no Reply# and I didn’t follow the trail on the left.

I have nothing against Macs/Apple…honest. Just have no use for anything they make at this time. My biggest pleasures with PCs are building my own systems, upgrading hardware and tweaking the OS. I guess you could say I came here to play Devil’s Advocate. Backfire!

• Palek

No worries.

I’m still pretty much a “custom-built PC” guy myself, although I do not like tinkering anywhere near as much as I did back when I was a student. I do still enjoy the process of building the best machine on a meagre budget, but I also want my PC to just work. I’ve run into some serious hardware issues with my latest two builds, and that took away a lot of time I would have rather spent on actually using the machines. Pre-built computers are starting to look better and better.

• plasticplate