Battlefield 3 designed primarily for the PC

More good news for PC gamers with an eye on the next chapter in the Battlefield franchise. Details from a Game Informer cover story have leaked, and they look pretty enticing. The most promising revelation is that Battlefield 3 was built on the PC and for the PC. According to executive producer Patrick Bach, “we’re focusing on PC first, and then we fiddle with it to fit it onto consoles.”

Rock, Paper, Shotgun points to this forum post, which lists a number of additional details from the Game Informer piece. Character animations should be much improved thanks to the same animation system used by EA Sports titles. Destructible environments look to be a big part of the game, and there’s an earthquake on one of the levels. DICE has also spent some time on the game’s audio component to provide better audible cues and more realistic sound overall.

Unfortunately, the new Frostbite 2.0 engine is reportedly too complex for DICE to release traditional mod tools. The Battlefield 3 team is reportedly close to twice the size of group that worked on Bad Company 2, and DICE is grappling with whether to invest its time in mod tools or polishing the game’s existing content. With single- and multi-player components plus a co-op element, there should be plenty to keep gamers busy until the first round of downloadable content hits.

• HisDivineOrder

Hope this is true. Last time I heard a publisher was focusing on PC, it was THQ saying that Homefront was being developed on PC separately to ensure it used its strengths.

That did not happen. Not at all.

Just recently, I heard that Deus Ex Human Revolution has ITS own team porting from 360 (the lead) and I just have no faith in that. So I’ll believe it when I see it. Hope so. It’s the way it should be. Consoles should be getting ports from PC, not the other way around. Consoles are artificially limiting what the PC games are capable of.

• wtburnette

Bleah, I’m pretty well done with these types of games. I don’t care for the hosted server stuff, not when I have 2 or 3 spare boxes I could easily use for hosting a server myself. Until games bring this type of functionality back, I’ll just keep skipping FPS games. Bring back the days of UT/Quake and CoD4 when you could host your own server, set it up the way you want and enjoy LAN play.

• ThorAxe

I look forward to seeing what can be done when a major release has PC as the lead platform. This is as it always should be.

Thanks DICE and EA. 🙂

• BehemothJackal

In a time where hearing those words gets more and more scarce you’ve got to treat it like solid gold. Thanks DICE 🙂

• Jahooba

I haven’t played the BF series since Vietnam. With all the manpower they’re putting into this one, it may be the game that gets me back into it.

• Firestarter

You’d best hope that not all of the manpower gets wasted on the last tiny bit of graphical detail..

• jcw122

I love how people ask for better anti-cheat but cannot name a single service…oh wait cause they don’t exist.

• sli

Please don’t tell me that their pandering is tricking you guys?

“the new Frostbite 2.0 engine is reportedly too complex for DICE to release traditional mod tools”

OKAY DICE!!! ಠ_ಠ

• Firestarter

Sounds more like they just went in without a plan and were surprised that they delivered something that’s too messy to support. Happens all the time in software development when the wrong people manage it.

• BenBasson

It would be a shame if they don’t manage to release mod tools, mods like BF2: Project Reality are absolutely astonishing, and I like what they bring to the table. The worst thing about Project Reality is that it’s based on the BF2 engine, and pushes it far beyond intended extremes (read: it crashes a lot).

I don’t think it’s really that urgent that mod tools exist for the game launch, they could come later, and that would be a reasonable strategy.

• Bensam123

First and foremost add good fucking anti-cheat technology!!!

For the love of god, please! Punkbuster and VAC are jokes, they catch no one except someone that forgot to remove their google hack and came back two years later. Anyone that has played any of these games has seen the questionable gameplay that a lot of people exhibit, it has become especially prevelant in BC2. Hell, when the community depends more on respected admins to ban players on their server then the software itself that’s just stupid!

This isn’t even taking into account all the players that look somewhat legit, but they operate awfully fishy… the ones that always know where everyone is and they’re always prepared. The amount of hackers has seemingly went up a lot in the last few years and I’d blame it squarely on the douchebags from consolization.

Putting that aside BF2 wasn’t really top of the game as far as how awesome a PC title could be when it came out (the menus were clunky, it was a resource hog, load times sucked, anti-cheat sucked, and it felt unpolished). It’s sad we’re just now aiming to maintain the status quo rather then improving on the past.

I do and full heartedly hope they work on mdo tools. Even when the devs forsake the game there is almost always a group of dedicated individuals releasing content for it.

It’d be nice to have more then 64 players too. Tribes 2 fluidly supported 64 players on dial up in 2000 when it came out and 128 players on lan. The current decrease in player pop is sad, status quo is still stupid though.

[quote<]Hell, when the community depends more on respected admins to ban players on their server then the software itself that's just stupid![/quote<] Hacks devs move faster than game devs. Software won't catch greifers, children and douchebags. A community without good administration is a community I don't want to be part of.

• Bensam123

PB and VAC has never been at the top of what the game can do to prevent hackers. They really don’t even care anymore and it’s more of a safety symbol, like the terrorist alert level.

I agree good admins are always needed though

• Krogoth

Protip: play games with people that you know in person in servers that are “private”.

Cheating is expected on public servers since day 1 of online gaming.

• Bensam123

I do play games with my friends, I don’t have 31 friends online at every single moment waiting to play one game though.

Expectations don’t need to be so low.

• BenBasson

Hardly realistic for most people. Public servers are there for a reason.

• shaq_mobile

VAC caught me… when i wasn’t cheating.

• Bensam123

Yeah, I’ve heard about false positives before… which were coincidentally caused by a exploit in VAC that hackers used to make it give out false positives.

• TurtlePerson2

BF3 was originally going to be a PC exclusive as recent as three years ago or so. Hearing that they made the PC version first isn’t a surprise.

• Fieryphoenix

If they can’t release full mod tools, the partial ability to modify the location, type and amount of vehicles would be appreciated. I greatly enjoyed that in my BF:V clan there were double or more the number of helos, for instance.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’d like to see a decent server browser and menue system. I think we can all agree Battlefield has long had one of the worse menu systems in a multiplayer game.

• bcronce

omg, I hate the browser. Many times I will try to follow my friend into a game and it will say the game doesn’t exist anymore. I then close out and reload and it works fine.

Another weird thing is my in game ping is much lower than my friends when they’re at my house. I have no QoS settings based on MAC, only on tcp/udp ports. My in game ping is typically 10-30ms lower. how does that work? My friend’s and brothers comps gets higher FPS to.

• Anomymous Gerbil

You talk about lower pings like that’s a bad thing?

• Thanato

This is cool to hear. This game has the most successful balance of foot soldiers with vehicles I’ve played. Also I hear they will have 64 player game rooms which sounds like a great addition.

Being a long time COD player I get annoyed with BC2 in that I can’t lay prone, lean, or strafe while running, kinda makes playing a foot soldier feel more like a vehicle than a human. But I digress. The fact they they are giving attention to the PC makes me want to buy it just for that.

• trinibwoy

Have you tried strafing while running? Real life humans can’t do it either.

• shaq_mobile

probly just wanst balanced for lean errr i mean sprint strafing

• Richie_G

It’s a replacement for looking left or right while running forwards, something difficult to achieve in the limited FOV a screen has to offer. Compromise.

• rhettigan

It won’t be a successor unless it has real LAN play like BF1942, BFV, BF2142, and BF2. I didn’t buy BFBC2 because of its absence.

• StashTheVampede

You will be skipping BF3 then. While they don’t mention LAN play, its dead.

• BobbinThreadbare

Why can’t you just use a local IP and connect to it?

• mongoosesRawesome

Because they don’t offer the ability to host your own server.

• BobbinThreadbare

Well that would do it.

• cheddarlump

This is the single most annoying thing imaginable about BFBC2. What possible rationale can they have for removing private servers and LAN play? I don’t buy that “to preserve gameplay experience..” crap they’re spouting, as dedicated LAN’ers running a good private server ALWAYS do a better job that some VM in a data center at least 30ms away.

• BoBzeBuilder

Get rid of the singleplayer campaign. Its as useless as “insert witty comment”.

• donkeycrock

couple things i hope they fix for this game.

1. more patches more often.

2. more customization, i did not like how they locked down the BF2

3. the ability to download custom maps in game

4. custom game game scenarios

5. guns to guard spawn camping

6. get rid of punk buster, that thing is so annoying.

i’ll probably think of some later.

BF2 was so close to being a great game, it just had so many little problems.

• StashTheVampede

Reading that news blurb:
      1. More patches/addons coming
      2. More customizations for look/feel/loadout
      3. Mod tools are not the priority, will be a while before you get maps.
      4. No mention of this and without mods, nada
      5. I’m not a fan of this, esp since BF1942 (maps + scenarios tend to fix this issue)
      6. Nope.com! Nothing worse than a hacker and PB is truly the “best” right now.

• bcronce

I agree. BC2 is a lot of fun, but the little issues keep it from being “great”.

My pet peeve is when my friend or I follow each other into a game, it takes forever before we can get on each-other’s team. I spend 1/2 of the first round not playing with my friend.

• kamikaziechameleon

Bad company 2 resolved that issue mostly.

• bcronce

I play BC2 every night with my friend and nearly every game I can’t be on his team. There’s nothing “resolved” about it.

The issue is we join a game with even teams. If both of us joined the same team, it would be un-even, so we get split up. We typically join full servers and the servers keep the teams as dead even as possible.

There needs to be “switch when available” option to group up friends. The server can decide which team the friends group up on.

I just hate baby sitting the team menu to switch when a spot opens.

• mongoosesRawesome

I agree. Though if you play squad deathmatch or squad rush, it will usually put you on the same squad

• kamikaziechameleon

Conquest is where its at.

• kamikaziechameleon

Ok, fair point I’ve been in that predicament. I would really like that as a feature as well.

• CasbahBoy

You didn’t mention it, but BF:BC2 had a problem with patches that has been compounding over iterations of their engine. Please read this post; it is an excellent overview of the challenges DICE have been facing with patching Bad Company 2.

[url<]http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/members-helping-members/1199353-software-engineering-file-formats-build-processes-packaging.html[/url<] I also believe this post is a very good sign that they realize the problems that are inherent with their latest engine, and that they will most certainly keep them in mind when designing the engine for BF3.

• ztrand

off topic:

I noticed the post you link to is written by Mikael Kalms. Awesome programmer. Old acquaintance of mine, went to school with him for a while. Didnt know he was at DICE. Small world.

• BenBasson

How about: don’t make planes or helicopters completely invincible against ground units.

• bcronce

Since this game is aimed at DX11/Win7, I hope they use native 32bit audio that vista/7 uses.

It should actually require less CPU to do this since they already internally mix the audio at 32bit anyway.

Their current audio:
    mix(32bit)->convert(16bit)->Windows(32bit)->resample->convert->output

If they use native, they would do this instead:
    mix(32bit)->resample–>Windows(32bit)->convert->output

• BKA

Maybe all the console port crybabies will now have something to smile about. <DUCKS>

• Firestarter

Barely, as it’s apparently newsworthy to say that a game is primarily designed for the PC. With a game like BF3, that’s pretty much a requirement if they hope to make a great game.

• swaaye

I think it would be best to let the end results speak for themselves. 😀

Wow, I’m first. Never happened before. What do I do?

• dpaus

Just sit there and you’ll be voted down automatically 🙂