Android 3.0-powered Motorola Xoom slate to cost $800

Here’s an iPad lookalike that might not draw many shoppers away from the Apple device. A Best Buy ad spotted by Engadget reveals that Motorola’s Xoom slate will cost $799.99 when it becomes available on February 24. That’s $799.99 with a $20-a-month (or more) Verizon data plan. The worst part? The small print under the picture that says, "To activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required."

The Xoom does have nice specs, of course—a 10.1" 1280×800 display, a dual-core processor with a gig of RAM, and a couple of cameras with the option for 720p video capture. It also runs Android 3.0, which looks awfully slick based on the demo videos that have popped up on YouTube recently. Next to Apple’s $499 Wi-Fi iPad, however, the Xoom seems just a tad pricey.

I’m not the only one who thinks so. eWeek has devoted an entire article to listing reasons why the Xoom is overpriced. Among the most convincing: the price tag puts it "dangerously close" to ultraportable notebooks, the hardware is "unproven" and unknown to customers, and so is the operating system. Here’s hoping we’ll see a price cut once the iPad 2 comes out.

• mcnabney

And now with the iPad2 info coming out we know that Motorola NEEDS to drop the price if they want to sell any.

They will both have similar processors, RAM, screen sizes, and cameras.

Apple will have the clearly superior screen (IPS), the massive catalog of designed for iPad apps, and superior battery life.

Motorola will be upgradeable to LTE (they don’t say when) and cost more for the same memory/wireless carrier connectivity.

If they want to sell any, they will have to undercut Apple on price, especially when considering that Xoom uses a display screen that is MUCH cheaper and lower quality than the iPad1/2.

I am actually really disappointed in Motorola here. My mother-in-law has an ancient computer and wants to get a new one. I suggested that she skip the computer and just get a tablet. That way she has an easy to use interface and a use-everywhere 3/4G connection which means she won’t need to worry about DSL and finding/connecting to WiFi. She can handle 500-600, tops. $800, no way.

• mutarasector

Motorola’s Superbowl ad was interesting… The significance of the swipe at Apple’s 1984 ad was more than likely missed on this generation of likely buyers/first adapters who weren’t even alive in 1984…. Motorola _FAIL_. On top of it, the commercial didn’t really show the Xoom _doing anything_ (unlike Apple ads which generally _do_), and then the Xoom gets a whopping 2 second front on shot at the very end of the commercial, and in doing so looks remarkably similar to an iPad.

All in all, I think Motorola did a GREAT ‘Halo effect’ commercial however…. >for Apple<.

• indeego

It seemed an ad for the ad industry rather than the generic public. In a way it insults the average American with i* devices for being unthinking/generic/uncreative. Not that I disagree with said comparison.

• indeego

Funny, suggested the same to my mother-in-law on Super Bowl Sunday, and she was very excited about it. She’ll use wi-fi though.

• mcnabney

And choosing WiFi makes Xoom an even bigger rip-off since it won’t be an $80 price difference, it will be a $200 price difference for the same storage space. And the iProduct will cost LESS in either situation. What is this, upside down day?

• jstern

When the ipad was introduced it was an hp slate lookalike.

• TaBoVilla

It’s way too expensive, and given motorola’s android software update policy ( [url<]http://www.facebook.com/motorolaeurope[/url<] it's hilarious reading disgruntled milestone owners comments on 2.2 froyo update) I would never trust motorola an $800 piece of hardware, na ha!

• mcnabney

What? Droid/Milestone launched on 2.0 and has been updated TWICE to 2.1 and 2.2.

Compare that to Samsung. Galaxy S launched at 2.1 AND IT IS STILL THERE!

• crazybus

I’ll wait for the Wi-Fi version before I pass judgment. The hardware has potential, although I’d like to see how the battery life compares. In my opinion, tablets don’t need a lot of local storage, and onboard capacity should be expandable with SD cards. Music and video can be streamed over Wi-Fi or 3G.

• Jypster

800 is a fair price I think. Sure lower would be nice but that will happen over time.

I purchased a Galaxy Tablet for the better half for x-mass and there is no way I can get the thing off her. I was hoping that she would use it for a bit then put it aside so I could have it <grins>

What does she use it for ?

Moble phone
    GPS
    Ebook reader
    Movie watching
    Web surfing
    Note taking at work
    Doc scanner
    Camera
    Etc, etc

Sure she has a Laptop and a PC but both now get very little use.. I did score the laptop ! My son after using his Mum’s tab for a bit got one himself. The drawcard was he could use it on public transport with ease, where as if he has to stand his netbook was useless and his iphone screen was to small to really do anything.

People might knock them but once you have used a tablet for a bit they go from being a toy to a usefull device pretty quickly and if you wanted all these abilities in different hardware would cost a bit more than 800 and be rather painful to carry around.

• End User

Don’t forget about Palm -> [url<]http://www.palm.com/us/[/url<]

• indeego

Too late. The rest of the country did as well.

• End User

I was referring to todays big announcement. Palm may be dead but HP webOS is alive and well.

• End User

The iPad is available at 6 different price points. Motorola should do something similar.

• solo_clipper

But Cyril why would you compare this to the $499 Wi-Fi ipad? If anything it should be compared to the 32GB iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G at $729. So for just a few dollars more this thing blows the existing iPad away. ( I know a new iPad is on the way, all the iSheep start chirping/ducks )

• KoolAidMan

Inferior OS, inferior app selection, inferior screen (I saw it at CES, the Blackberry Playbook and 1st gen iPad both have better viewing angles and color), there is nothing about the Xoom that blows anything away.

I’m kind of amazed that all Android tablets are such crap so far, and now this with the pricing and requiring a one month activation to use wifi. It can’t compete on price or features, unbelievable.

• Namarrgon

Depends on what you’re looking for, but I’d hardly call *all* Android tablets crap. The Xoom’s screen is perfectly adequate, the Galaxy Tab’s screen is great, and the Adam’s screen can actually be used in full daylight – lots of choice.

OS too. I have a 3GS, an iPod Touch and two Android phones in my house, and the reasons I prefer Android (better notifications, better browser, widgets, real keyboards, real multitasking, Flash, scripting, general flexibility, no iTunes required etc) easily outweigh the reasons I like iOS (a little cleaner, a little smoother, much better copy & paste). I can do so much more with Android. Function over form for me, thanks, but YMMV of course.

The rest of the Xoom’s features blow the iPad away – cameras, video chat, HDMI, USB, and truckloads of grunt. But despite that, I do agree the Xoom is overpriced nonetheless. The iPad is the incumbent, they can’t be pricing themselves beyond that regardless of how much nicer the hardware is.

• cegras

Just to check the editorialism, you should note that the iPad’s price goes up pretty quick with more storage, and that the 3G model costs even more. At least compare apples to apples.

• KoolAidMan

Fine. A 64GB iPad with double the storage only costs $10 more than a 32GB Xoom that requires a one month subscription in order to activate wifi.

This is just the hardware, bring up the OS and meager app selection and there really is no reason to get the Xoom. They should at least try and compete in terms of price and not forcing subscription, it is like they are trying to fail.

• blitzy

lol how ironic, if it was apple with an $800 price tag nobody would even bat an eyelash.

don’t get me wrong, I don’t think tablets are functional compared to ultra portables anyway and an $800 price tag is getting very steep.

But Apple has been doing this since day X, regular hardware = $500, hardware with apple tax = $800

All the same apple fanboy excuses apply here too, paying for higher specs, better quality, the OS etc… That’s the same gig for this android device. You want the bells and whistles of a premium device then pony up them bones.

And if the iPad2 can bring better specs at a lower price then that’s just good competition.

[every downvote is another delicious macolyte tear]

• Corrado

I don’t believe $800 would be too much… IF it was the juiced up top of the line and there was a cheaper $500 version with slightly neutured specs, like the iPad. $499 for 16GB and WiFi only, up to 64gb with 3G. This looks like 1 sku, 1 price, buy it or GTFO.

• Vasilyfav

Why would anyone in their right mind want this over an ultraportable CULV based notebook?

All these tiny netbooks and “slates” are just toys for rich hipsters who just want to show off and don’t actually have to be productive. You really can’t prove otherwise at this price point.

• End User

You have a very archaic way of looking at new gen tablets.

• WaltC

Heh…;) I’m assuming you said “archaic” because Apple has declared that anything but tablets are “archaic”….:D

• End User

Your assumption was wrong.

• WaltC

How profound…;)

• mutarasector

If by ‘archaic’, you mean “practical minded”, you’re probably right. Of course, tablets are neat new devices, and I do think they’re here to stay, I personally don’t recommend them for anything that needs to be done in the way of heavy-lifting type of work by _adults_ who have to _work_ for a living and be _productive_ in the workplace, and have more to do than a bandwidth of 140 characters can handle…

• JMccovery

Actually, tablets can be used for work… I’ve seen doctors, insurance agents, salespeople, travel agents, even some EMTs use tablets for actual work. Even At&t and some Comcast sales/tech persons use tablets too.

• End User

I use my tablet for remote server management and workstation maintenance. I see tablets used by authors, illustrators, and database admins. If you have the right app then anything is possible.

• plasticplate

Feel sad for ya man, getting voted down for saying something sensible. Maybe u should say it a lil subtle next time. But i completely agree with you. In fact i woudnt even pay 499 for the wifi enabled iPad. U can buy a notebook for the same price, comes with an actual physical KB and can be more productive. In fact, I think 80-90% of the people who buy apple products buy it cause its hip rather than the well made product (Apple does make excellent hardware, quality wise). But its their money i guess….now, let the votedown begin…

• Namarrgon

It’s a fair comment, and I’ve been wondering it myself. Notebooks certainly do much more for a similar price. Obviously tablets aren’t the solution to everything.

That said, what a tablet would do better than my notebook is mobility. It’s just easier to pass a tablet around friends to show them pics, video etc, easier to browse on in bed, easier to play a quick simple game, easier to watch a video in a car or plane. If you have occasional simple needs, then a tablet is just plain easier. I’ve been using my phone for most of these cases, but there are many times I’d like a larger screen.

Of course if you need to develop stuff, write a lot, play full-scale games etc etc, or if you can only afford one device, a notebook is a far better answer, and for true mobility, nothing beats a phone. But I can see a number of situations for myself where a tablet would make a good middle ground.

• SPOOFE

I, too, would rather spend that money on a full-featured laptop. But I already did, and have a full-featured laptop. So now I’m asking myself, do I want another one? Or do I want… some other type of device? Hmm…

One thing’s for sure, though: Definitely not the Xoom. If it had matched the iPad’s price and didn’t have the stupid Wifi restriction, I’d be a lot more open-minded about it. As it is, I’m waiting to see the $400 tablet from Asus. And I’m also prepared to keep waiting; I may wait ’til the platform matures more and pushes prices closer to $250-300.

• Namarrgon

Not sure why people are so upset about the wifi restriction. Yes, it’s annoying and certainly unnecessary, but really it just effectively adds $20 and a little mucking about, for a month’s data service and subsequent disconnection. Is it really that big a dealbreaker?

If Verizon are so dead-set on getting people into their data service, they should’ve simply bundled it in – first month free data, no contract, no silly wifi restrictions. A mere $20 difference, and people would’ve seen it as a positive rather than a dealbreaker.

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t see the point either, too big to fit in your pocket like a phone, to small/lacking in features to be really useful like a laptop.

I don’t see why a market for an item like this exists.

• End User

15+ million already do see the point. Another 15-30+ million will join them this year.

• BobbinThreadbare

OK?

Millions of people do things I don’t understand all the time.

• SPOOFE

Mayhaps the problem lay in your poor understanding?

• BobbinThreadbare

Could very well be. All I said was that I don’t get it.

• djgandy

Millions of people used to think that if you suspected someone was a witch you should drown them.

Millions of people also bought products such as the Wii, a novelty that wore off very quickly. In the Wii’s case once you learnt that a flick of the rest did everything the console became boring.

Let’s face it, stick an Apple logo and a dog turd and people would buy it.

• mutarasector

15 Million+, eh? Ever hear of the old saying “the masses are a$$es”? Tablets are still dumbed down devices not evolved/speciated sufficiently for the majority of folks doing _work_ on mobile computing devices. They’re still primarilly consumption devices. perhaps 2nd, 3rd generation devices will change this, we’ll see.

• moog

ipads address a new function, they can be used while not sitting down or resting on a surface.

Not as useful as devices that have a keyboard/mouse. But most ppl spend most of their time consuming content rather than producing it, so they may not really miss their laptop.

• alsoRun

I bought two Acer netbooks from Target Sunday for $200 each including a nice sleeve. I am cheap.

• willmore

Wow, only $800 each? I guess I need three or four of them, then.

But, seriously, what are they smoking?

• adisor19

The crippled WiFi is reason enough to make this a tough pill to swallow even for Apple haters.

The high price tag is just icing on the cake. This will more than ensure that it will be a complete failure. That and the soon to be announced iPad 2 with similar specs but lower pricing. I almost can’t believe it : Apple product is priced lower than the competitor’s. What is this world coming to ?!!?

Adi

• WaltC

“Apple haters” is such an amusing term. It is supposed to mean that nobody has any legitimate right to dislike products Apple offers–and it is too funny…;)

Look, if the Xoom outperforms the iPad in every way, then its $800 price tag will be justified. That’s all there is to it. Do you really think Motorola would be so stupid as to release a new product into this market that costs more than the iPad but isn’t as good/robust? What would be the point? Moto is well aware of what the iPad costs.

• Namarrgon

Counter example: Sony’s PS3. Undeniably good value for what you get, but priced far too high at introduction for the demographic it was aimed at. Result: Poor sales, and big losses for years. Lesson: Learn your market, and don’t overbuild for it.

• paulWTAMU

yeah but 800 is still a hell of a lot of money for most people to spend on something like this. I thought the iPad was overpriced for it was, this is just worse.

• Trymor

“Apple product is priced lower than the competitor’s. What is this world coming to ?!!?”

…but you are an Apple fanboi….