THQ allocating more resources to Metro 2033 sequel

If you enjoyed 4A Games’ Metro 2033, you’ll be happy to learn that publisher THQ is giving the folks at 4A additional resources to make a more refined sequel. IGN has gotten some interesting details from THQ VP Danny Bilson, like the fact that Metro 2034 will feature "even more advanced" technology and a level of polish sufficient to compete with "the Call of Dutys."

As Bilson pointed out to IGN, the original Metro 2033 looked "sensational" but was a tad rough around the edges gameplay-wise—at least compared to shooters developed by North American teams with more cash on hand. To name one example, I got a little frustrated with the game’s stealth sections, where enemies seemed to have a hive mind that could communicate my position to everyone in the level instantly. That was just too old school to be fun.

Despite the push for more polish, IGN says Bilson is taking a "mostly hands-off approach" to the Metro sequel’s production. He told the site, "It’s an original Russian franchise. We don’t want to mess with it and Americanize it. It’s got its own point of view."

Metro 2034 doesn’t have a set release date yet, but Bilson said you can expect to get a glimpse of the game at E3 this June. (Thanks to michael_d from the TR forums for the link.)

• indeego

Gave up on this game about halfway through (I think?)

Besides the complete lack of pathways or decision making beyond clicking a button when crosshair turns “red”, I knew I was done with it when I kept getting shot by enemies with perfect aim ~1/8 of a mile away in pitch blackness without any light on.

So glad I Steam-sale’d this one.

• michael_d

My biggest beef with Metro 2033 is that it is too short. I wish it played like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• plasticplate

Nice. Imagine 2033 without all the minor bugs that made it a lil painful to play. It woulda been awesome. Hope 2034 retains the same elements as its predecessor and not evolve into a run and gun shooter. One of the best games i ever played.

• indeego

I felt like I was on a train the entire game, with my only decision was where to aim the rifle. Was about as linear as a game gets.

• Meadows

There’s nothing wrong with that, if the game gives you a sense of awe and excitement – note the Modern Warfare games from Infinity Ward. There’s nothing “free” about those either, but they still rock as far as action and intensity go.

• BoBzeBuilder

“THQ allocating more resources to Metro 2033 sequel”

~Thanks man, place the twinkie boxes in the corner.

• rika13

Based on a Russian novel about a Russian train station (which is why it’s so damn accurate, including using the metro for a nuke shelter) with a Russian protagonist and developed by Ukrainian dev team. Not to mention the fact that all those mushrooms are used to make vodka.

• Bensam123

Yeah I found the stealth sections frustrating. I spent countless hours on the one with the little rag tag gang of guys in the subway area only to give up and just run and gun, which worked a lot better.

Overall I really enjoyed the feel and setting for Metro 2033. For lack of a better word it felt very authentic, although I don’t like horror games. It just felt… like it was cared for when they made it. It made me happy playing it, just like Mass Effect 2. You can tell when people actually care about what they’re making.

Not sure how they plan on changing a game like Metro 2033 into a CoD competitor though? The guns were cool, but it doesn’t have much in terms of replayability and if you through a multiplayer element into what was there it would ruin it.

Black Ops was not polished nor was MW2 when they came out. Just thought I’d set that straight.

• tejas84

Loved the first one and still play it regularly. Cannot wait for lovely DX11 goodness of Metro 2034!

One thing though.I have to disagree with Danny Bilson. 4A Games are Ukranian not Russian!

• Voldenuit

It’s not Russian if you make it Polish.

• tejas84

LOL this is too funny! +1

• Silus

Bring it on! I loved the first game and graphically, it’s absolutely gorgeous! And I haven’t played it in DX11 yet )

• lilbuddhaman

a level of polish sufficient to compete with “the Call of Dutys.
    It’s an original Russian franchise.

Level 1: No American ?

• ClickClick5

Almost…

The game will look and feel like a 13 year olds “special time” in front of the tv late at night.
      Meaning, fast paced “XP” based whoo-hoo that is Call Of Duty. ANY creativity 4A comes up with will get chopped down to match a senseless euphoria.

So much for 2034 being a good game. 🙁

• Duck

13 year olds “special time” sounds pretty dirty… or is that just me?