Adobe releases completed Flash 10.2 plug-in

Flash has hit another milestone. After a few public betas, the Flash Player 10.2 plug-in is now out in complete, production-ready form. The headline feature is the new, fully hardware-accelerated video pipeline, as Adobe explains in its brief pitch for the new release:

We’re especially excited that this release introduces Stage Video, a full hardware accelerated video pipeline for best-in-class, beautiful video across platforms and browsers. Additionally, this version of Flash Player offers all the new capabilities previewed in our beta release, like custom native mouse cursors, multiple monitor full-screen support, Internet Explorer 9 hardware accelerated rendering support, and enhanced sub-pixel rendering for superior text readability.

Stage Video, Adobe adds, is "up to 34 times" more efficient than the prior release’s video pipeline, and it purportedly allows 1080p playback with CPU utilization of just 1-15% "on a common Mac or Windows computer." There’s a slight catch, however: sites like YouTube need to update their video players to support the new technology first. Adobe says Vimeo, Brightcove, Epix, and YouTube "have already started work" on implementing Stage Video support; if you’d like to sample the technology in the meantime, Adobe has put up a few examples here.

The Flash Player 10.2 plug-in can be downloaded from this page. For Chrome users, an update to the browser with the new plug-in built in is already available—you can check "About Google Chrome" in the wrench menu to urge the update along.

• Bensam123

Anyone else find it ridiculous how Google is on top of things bleeding edge like instantly? I laughed when I read Chrome was already updated after reading the news and indeed after checking I just needed to restart.

• potatochobit

I am getting tired of crashes.

• crazybus

Still need to try this out on OS X. The 10.2 betas were quite crash prone. I probably still won’t quit using the youtube5 extension for chrome and safari.

• Da_Boss

They have youtube5 for chrome?!?! Where?

That extension is the only reason I’d ever consider moving to safari. It’s that awesome to me. I guess it’s a little less useful now that Flash doesn’t blow, but still. Nice to have.

• Trymor

Thanks HTML 5! Long live Flash…

• indeego

This is more than a feature release, it addresses an unsurprising number of security vulns:
    [url<]http://secunia.com/advisories/43267/[/url<]

NM, read it wrong.

• OneArmedScissor

Oh boy, GPU acceleration for 34 times the crashes!

• indeego

buffering…please wait. About 10 times on the demo before I closed tab. Connection wasn’t maxed out at all.

• cygnus1

it might be possible that the servers hosting the demo got a little overwhelmed since it just released

• odizzido

up to 34X faster huh…..well that just says how terribly horrible it was. I haven’t updated yet, but maybe flash will be barely tolerable now….maybe. Probably still sucks hard actually.

• BobbinThreadbare

Sucks hard compared to what?

What other technology are you using to stream video?

• Da_Boss

Having installed the latest Flash on my MBP, I’m blown away by it’s performance. In YouTube, playing 1080p video, I currently get 15% CPU utilization for fullscreen playback. 15% of one core!

Not that it’ll change Apple’s ‘no flash’ stance on iOS devices, but it’s incredible to see the advances made.

• Corrado

It only took them being taken to the woodshed in the media for Flash being god awful, and having people bitch piss and moan for the past 3 years over them not being able to play Youtube HD videos on Netbooks and CULV machines, despite them being able to play 1080P movies not in flash.

• sschaem

This game is also using very little CPU running in full 1080p using the new flash beta
      [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgwi0lWgX8w[/url<] For an early demo, its very promising. And my understanding is that the same API is available on mobile devices. This will make it harded for apple to deny users access to softwares.

Linux?…..

• cygnus1

Ha, sorry hippy, back of the bus.

lol

• crabjokeman

The back of the bus is where all the cool kids sit and smoke weed. Have fun talking to the bus driver and paying for your software, square.

• cygnus1

Who is paying for flash? And I don’t mind paying $250 a year for all the MS software I can stand, considering my day job is a windows server admin.

• Trymor

“Who is paying for flash?”

I think it may have been a play on ‘free software’ as in Linux, or pirating possibly also, due to an extremist view of ‘Hippies’.

Of course, I could be wrong.

• cygnus1

Yeah, I figured that too. I just figured i would intentionally misunderstand him as he seemed to intentionally misunderstand me.

• dpaus

“Who pays for sex?” he said “when you’re a pimp?”

• indeego

Kinda funny considering Linux is the fastest growing OS, and the PC is now behind smartphones in popularity.

• Trymor

“Linux is the fastest growing OS” – but still has a low enough market share to make it last in line.

“PC is now behind smartphones in popularity.” – but not utility. Again, not at the front of the bus because of who pay the devs.

But yeah, if you spin it that way, it is kinda funny.

• indeego

We could spin it any way we want, I’m just saying Linux is exploding in popularity, Microsoft OS’s aren’t. That is a fact.

[url<]http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/The-PC-era-is-over/1297266659[/url<]

• Kurotetsu

Exploding in popularity in devices whose users really do not care what OS is loaded onto it as long as it does what it wants. I always under the impression that Linux users wanted Linux to be popular for being Linux, not because it(s derivatives) happens to be loaded on alot of smartphones. I guess I was mistaken?

Frankly, given the ridiculous amount of money Apple is regularly pulling in I would think that “BSD” would be the fastest growing OS.

• indeego

[i<]"I always under the impression that Linux users wanted Linux to be popular for being Linux, not because it(s derivatives) happens to be loaded on alot of smartphones. I guess I was mistaken?"[/i<] I can't speak for others of course, but myself I simply want open source to succeed (as a philosophy and a future software model) and don't care about the OS or the man Linus in a passionate sense as others might. I don't think Linux is the best OS for every need, but I also don't think you can discount "free" and the momentum that is heading in that direction. [i<]"Frankly, given the ridiculous amount of money Apple is regularly pulling in I would think that "BSD" would be the fastest growing OS."[/i<] Well then we could argue that Xerox and Novell are the fastest growing company given their donations of the GUI and networking to so much of what we use today.

• cygnus1

[quote<]I can't speak for others of course, but myself I simply want open source to succeed (as a philosophy and a future software model) [/quote<] This I can get behind. But lumping any device running an embedded version of linux that doesn't run standard linux software into a 'linux is uber popular' statement is mis-leading. From the way I see it, in very few ways does an embedded linux (like Android or TiVo or any other appliance) being incredibly successful impact mainstream linux.

• Trymor

TY, was thinking that myself.

I might say ‘desktop Linux’ rather than mainstream tho.

• cygnus1

I think I’d agree with that as well. Enterprise usage of RHEL is booming. But unless one company can come out and successfully ‘herd cats’ as they say, I doubt desktop linux is ever gonna take off.

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]users really do not care what OS is loaded onto it as long as it does what it wants.[/quote<] Umm, isn't that the whole point of software. To do what you want it to? Most people buying PCs don't care what their OS is either as long as it does what they want it to.

• Trymor

Maybe (hopefully), but that still doesn’t mean that Flash devs will (or be able to) jump right on Linux. Like I said, market share, but I guess I could have specified (current) market share.

The flippin tech world is so volatile now, that a ‘person’ shouldn’t push all his chips towards a ‘possibility’, but some still are, and different strokes for different folks, and blah blah, LOL!

• crabjokeman

Despite what that cygnus1 moron says, there’s Flash for Linux (although the 64-bit 10.3 preview doesn’t have Stage Video yet).

• Trymor

Then you must be the Moron, because I want the ‘Stage Video’ for 64-bit Linux.

• cygnus1

back of the bus just meant you’re last to get it (if ever), wasn’t a comment on it not existing at all

• bcronce

Linux lost HW accel from Firefox because of lack of GPU driver stability. What makes you think Linux will get HW accel’d Flash?

• Trymor

Because the real geeks don’t use Firecow anymore?

• Deanjo

It is there for nvidia cards.

• Deanjo

It is out for linux as well with hardware video decode on nvidia cards.

64-bit?

• Deanjo

Nope, not for 64-bit yet. The 32-bit version work fine however with nswrapper.

Hate moving backwards…