Poll: Do you buy games via online services?

Valve is projected to have raked in a cool $1 billion via its Steam content delivery service last year. We’re fans of Steam, and that got us wondering about how many folks are buying most of their games via it or similar services. That’s the topic of this week’s poll, which also includes options for those who prefer physical media or wear an eye patch.

Last week’s poll was inspired by Intel’s 6-series chipset bug, but that’s not the worst PC hardware flaw according to our readers. 42% of those who voted named IBM’s Deathstar 75GXP debacle as the most epic hardware fail. Still fresh in everyone’s mind, the Sandy Bridge chipset bug slotted into second place with 20% of the vote. Behind it, the Pentium FDIV bug commanded 16% of the vote, while the Phenom/Opteron TLB issue garnered 12%. Only 3% of voters named Intel’s 820 chipset bug as the worst PC hardware flaw, while 7% had something in mind that wasn’t on our list.

• Pan Skrzetuski

I find it intriguing that a much lower percentage of gamers admits to piracy than movie downloaders.

I believe that garnered 35% in a recent poll.

So…why all the complaints about game piracy? Maybe TechReport’s readers are just more honest than your average bear.

• yogibbear

STEAM
    GoG
    And Physical Copies…

This poll is a big fail. No multiple option voting.

• donkeycrock

poll says purchase MOST.

if you buy 51% from one area that is the winner.

or if you do 30% 30%, 31%

guess who wins

No, stupid, the question is:

[quote<]Do you purchase most of your PC games via online services?[/quote<] Not: "Which of the following services gets most of your online purchasing business?"

• ermo

I’ve bought most of my recent games via the EA Store (SHIFT, BFBC2, ME, ME2, DAO) once I realized that the price was the same or better than on Steam.

I don’t game too much, except for games that I can mod if the original game is either alpha-quality (SHIFT), can be tweaked to great effect (DA:O) or the game is good OOTB and/or is updated continuosly (BFBC2, ME2). I don’t know if Steam has changed, but with EA store, I get to download an honest digital copy that I can back up to a different location if I wanted to, complete with a setup.exe file. Haven’t had issues with the DRM either (yet…).

And speaking of patching: Is it just me, or are games published by EA slower to be patched on Steam (I know NFS SHIFT was)? I suppose that since EA store is in direct competition with Steam, delaying patching and implicitly blaming Steam for it seems like a rather obvious business decision. Since my EA Store games are normal installs, I can just grab the patch from whereever and apply it as soon as it’s out.

I’ll probably keep buying Valve stuff via Steam, though.

• willmore

I solved that problem by no longer buying anything EA makes. I bought The Sims and all of the expansions as well as The Sims 2 and all of its expansions. Their crappy DRM cost me a CD-ROM drive. I’m tired of paying to be treated as a thief.

It’s helped that they don’t have anything I want, either. That made it a lot easier.

• sircharles32

Seeing as how my system is circa 2005, I chose “No” to gaming.

Though, I am now seriously considering a complete system build, once Bulldozer has been released.

So, that may change in the future.

• Incubus

I use both Steam and GWL,but Steam is my #1 yay.
    EA customer service is awful,my steam Medal of honor 2010 multi player is not working saying that servers aren’t available or down every time i try to play online,so i contacted both Steam and EA supprt without any luck of getting a different copy,maybe a refund or at least another game instead.
    And thats why I love steam and hate at the same time.
    BTW guys,anyone know where i can get FFXIV digitally?

• Silus

Retail for me, but I do buy some physical copies online. I avoid digital copies like the plague, because above all, I’m a collector and I won’t pay the same amount of money, for something without a box, manual and/or extras that most games come with.

Steam may be great in the US / Canada, but it sucks monkey balls in Europe.

• kroker

I only bought one game from Steam: Crysis Warhead (30$, same as the US price + ~6$ VAT). After that, they changed the currency to Euro here in Europe, and many games became up to 30-50% more expensive here overnight. I’m not even sure if those prices include VAT or not, when the currency was USD they didn’t.

Not to mention that when there is a killer offer in US, we get some discounts too but usually nowhere near the US price. I worked as a freelancer and I had a Payoneer Mastercard – I worked for clients in the USA, earned money in an USA bank account, payed from an USA bank account, everything the same – except I live in Europe. It’s the same store, same service, same game, same stream of bits. I felt discriminated.

• Silus

In the same boat as you are (i.e. discriminated), plus as a collector, digital copies don’t mean much to me 🙂

• paulWTAMU

I have to say…that sucks for you Europeans 🙁

Steam does include VAT in the UK at least, that’s 20% of your 30-50%. There’s also corporation tax, but I suspect the real reason is that £30 or €30 is a good marketing pricepoint.

That is what people will pay, so supply & demand makes that the price you *do* pay.

• paulWTAMU

If you mean # of games, it’s Steam by far just because of their occasional special sales (Winter sale, halloween sale, etc) where I can, for 60 bucks, buy 5-6 games. Yeah I don’t get the latest releases that way, but OTOH, the big sales come 2-3 times a year so it’s not like I have to wait years either; a few months lets bugs get patched out and balance issues addressed (hopefully). So while I didn’t get F:NV release day, I did get it…1 or 2 months later after patches for something like 30 bucks. Used to be that would have bothered me but the last 2-3 times I bought at launch date I was let down sorely (Civ V, MW2) so that isn’t as huge a deal as it could be. Yeah for major hyped up releases the brick and mortar stores may have some sales that beat Steam but usually only on release week–and I’m playing fewer of those games anyway. I don’t play Madden, I’m temporarily done with shooters so…

I can still see buying a retail game IF they were more widely available but BB, Target, Walmart, Gamestop…they all seem to have reduced the PC game section to the point of laughability. A shelf of the Sims and WoW and COD? Eh.

Amazon’s sales don’t hold a candle to Steam’s sales overall (once in a while they get a good one but it’s rare) so that just sort of happens to be where I buy the games.

• odizzido

where is the “from multiple services” option?

• ShadowTiger

it says “most”, so pick the one where the plurality of your games come from

• cegras

Just bought Starcraft 2 from Dell. Purolator missed me, and I had to get them to deliver it to a courier outlet so I could pick it up.

I bought it on sale, and with tax (yay HST!) it came to 63. I wonder if I could’ve just bought it online instead for less money and hassle.

• FireGryphon

I buy online from Steam if it requires Steam activation anyway, but I prefer non-online-activatible games of which I can get physical copies. I also buy games from Good Old Games.

• MaxTheLimit

I used to buy games in store, but EB games, and gamestop has made the new PC game wall into a rack, then a shelf. I do miss shopping the rows of games, and having cool game boxes, but damn steam is very convenient.

• KoolAidMan

Fuck yeah, Steam or bust. If a new game isn’t on Steam (or Battlenet, which is once in a blue moon), no buy from me.

• Meadows

I didn’t even know there was an “EA Store”.

I sometimes use Steam, and sometimes purchase physical copies from other (usually online) venues. Whichever is cheapest/available considering a given title.

• Ihmemies

No. Most games are cheaper when I buy physical copies online. Digital copy services have ridiculous prices, which can’t even compete with physical copies.

Steam has often nice prices on old games though, but that isn’t very interesting when I want to play games when they are new 😛

• ClickClick5

Not a single GFWL vote!

EPIC!

• Kamisaki

Nearly my entire PC game collection is on Steam now, and I think it’s great, but it still surprised me just how many people voted that. 75% for a single distribution service is absolutely huge!

Another surprise is how few votes Yarrr has (7% at the time I’m writing this). Compared to the previous polls about video and music, that’s way lower. In the video poll, Yarrr got 35%, and in music, Buy? got 42%. Granted, the music poll isn’t a straight comparison because there are plenty of ways to get music for free besides piracy (I personally don’t buy music much anymore because of Pandora).

I suppose since this is a computer hardware site a higher percentage of people could be expected to be invested in gaming, but it’s an interesting discrepancy nonetheless.

• BobbinThreadbare

Show me a video service 80% as good as Steam, and I’ll jump on it heavily.

Netflix, Hulu.

• BobbinThreadbare

Those are rental services. No thank you.

Should’ve been more specific then because you’re technically renting from steam for a one time fee instead of a monthly fee.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’m not sure you understand what renting means.

I’m not sure you understand how Netflix and Hulu streaming work.

• BobbinThreadbare

I understand how they work. I pay each month and I can access their library.

Which is not at all like Steam, which is what I asked for.

• paulWTAMU

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• bfar

Steam’s come a long way. If they ever got a licence to sell movies and other media, it would be the media king.

Yarrr is relatively low because there is no multiple choice and the poll is titled how do you *buy* games.

Personally, 50% of my games are from Steam, 30% are physical copies, 20% came from “below decks ye’ dastardly scallywag!”

I don’t have an issue stealing games from AAA publishers since it’s corporations like those that employ the sweatshop art and coding teams, it’s fat cats like those that churn out endless uninspiring sequels and ruin the gaming landscape.

If you like a game, buy it – vote with your wallet because it’s the only language that matters in the market.

• A_Pickle

I also don’t mind pirating games from publishers that bitch about piracy, and those who take [i<]special[/i<] precautions to keep their game from being pirated (e.g, DRM, shit that makes my life harder, etc.) earn special attention from me... 😀

• Usacomp2k3

You could, you know, just not play the games.

• paulWTAMU

but…that requires forgoing something! We can’t have that! Everything must be exactly on our terms!

• paulsz28

Where is the option for “I buy from wherever I’m looking – Steam, Windows Live, brick and mortar stores, Amazon, Newegg, etc. – no primary source” ?

• Grape Flavor

Screw you 8%. Seriously. And then I bet you complain about how devs don’t bother with the PC anymore.

• HunterZ

I don’t like this poll because I buy from more than one shop. I sale shop mostly on Steam, but have bought a couple titles on Direct2Drive and at least one on GFWL last year.

Keeping an eye on GoG too, but haven’t seen any must-haves for $5 or less that I don’t already own.

• bthylafh

Mostly Steam and mostly when they’ve got a sale going. Have bought a few from GoG and one from GfWL (AOE3 for $0.10).

The last one I got via the Yarrr service was Fallout 3, which I played for ten hours and promptly bought at full price, then got all the expansion packs for.

• BLToday

Steam is pretty much the only way I buy PC games now. I bought Batman:Arkham Asylum on Games for Windows, what a mistake. Terrible service with no way for me to backup the files when I moved to a new computer. I would have to redownload 9GB again. 🙁 Not going buy anything from the MS Games for Windows Store again.

• thesmileman

Even on steam you have to re-download the game on a new computer right?

• bthylafh

[url<]https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033[/url<]

• Kamisaki

I bought Arkham Asylum on Steam, and even though I didn’t have to worry about re-downloading the game again when I moved to a new computer, you’re still required to log in to Games for Windows Live in order to save your game, and GFW doesn’t recognize save files from a different computer. Even if you manually transfer the save files, and are logging in under the same account, it still won’t recognize it. The only solution to that is for developers to quit using GFW Live altogether. In all fairness, many of them seem to be doing just that. Good on Relic for dropping GFW for Retribution.

• jdaven

Looks like Steam is the number one choice by a long shot. 75%!!!

• thesmileman

• Kurotetsu

I use Steam mostly, but I’ll use any service that has the game I want for the cheapest price. That includes EA Store, THQ Store, Games for Windows Live, Amazon Games, GoG, etc etc. It just so happens that Steam more often than not has the cheapest price.

• bittermann

What he said…

• ShadowTiger

I only buy games off of Steam these days because they are the cheapest. I only buy during holiday specials (4th of July and Christmas so far), and I usually snag good games ive played before for $5 or less.

I bought starcraft 2 at a gamestop for the midnight release… mistake. They really let me down with that game (i played the beta, but they didn’t fix the custom map system).

I pre-ordered borderlands and dragon age from amazon.com but i got really upset with the DLC releases so now I will only buy games once the GOTY is released and when when its $20 on steam. I got really lucky on amazon and managed to snag The Saints 2 for $4 through a secondary merchant… but otherwise the prices seldom go low enough.

• Buzzard44

Call me old school, but if I pay for a game, usually >$50, I want a box and a jewel case.

• NeXus 6

The box and jewel case cost next to nothing to produce. Other than having it for show or preferred storage, I don’t see the value anymore.

• Pan Skrzetuski

Same here.

For me there is also the benefit of not having to spend days downloading via my .5mbps connection.

• kamikaziechameleon

DLC killed retail for me. Buying a game knowing it isn’t the “full experience” really kills me. If I have to purchase the DLC online then screw retail outlets. Certain major titles beg for the retail purchase so you can get the collectors addition toys etc. but 9/10 purchases for me are online now and that all changed in the last 12 months. Game stop can thank its stupid DLC exclusives.

• thesmileman

I had the same experience hatting DLC. After I bought Borderlands retail and then spending forever figuring out how to buy it for myself then my friend had to figure it out I said enough and now I buy almost everything from Steam.

• srg86

I don’t play games (well if you don’t count Worms the directors cut on my Ancient Amiga), so you’ll probably guess what I voted for.

Still my wife loves Civilisation type games and when we eventually have the hardware to support it, we’ll definitely be getting it in a retail box, best way to have [commercial] software imho.

• sjl

Great in theory, but considering that Civ V requires Steam, why pay full retail when you can (probably) get it for much less through Steam? Same product, same end result, the only downside is that you have to download it instead of installing it from DVD. But then, after the install, you’ll have a bunch of patches to download anyway … wouldn’t surprise me if it’s just as much data, or close to it, by the time you’re done patching.

Earlier Civ games – different story, they don’t require Steam.

• Grape Flavor

Civ V is crap anyway. You might not notice if you’re a casual player, in fact, you might appreciate the “streamlining” compared to Civ IV.

But the game is unbalanced and the AI is terrible. The bugs will be fixed but the consensus among hardcore Civvers is that the game is inherently flawed.

So YMMV.

• sjl

Fair point on the quality of the game. I was commenting more on the relative uselessness of buying retail when the game ends up linked to a gaming service (Steam in the specific case) anyway. If the retail copy wasn’t tied up like that, sure, go for it … but since it is, might as well take advantage of the deals that Steam pushes every so often. (Two bucks for the first two Deus Ex games over the new year sales – bargain, even if the second one hadn’t been included. Now if only Eidos would update the first two Thief games to play nicely with Windows XP/Vista/7 …)

• Bluekkis

GoG mostly, steam and impulse only for respective companies own titles. Anything else I’ll look into physical copies.

• Corrado

If theres no demo, I Yarrr before buying. Been burned way too often in the past with games that promise one thing and don’t deliver, don’t run, or are just flat out terrible to get bit again.

• thesmileman

“Demos lead to sales for me, if your demo is good. More often than not, 15 minutes in I know if I want the game or not.”

You see why they don’t have demos anymore right? You just said it. If the game sucks they don’t want you to find out. I know you won’t buy it without the demo but clearly sooooo many others do.

• ClickClick5

*cough* Black Ops

• alloyD

This is what video game review sites are for (shacknews, joysiq, etc). Usually if there’s a game I’m interested in, and reviews from a couple sites also seem to think it’s pretty good, I’ll buy it. Haven’t really gone wrong that way.

Demos are pretty nice, though.

• BobbinThreadbare

I tricked hard with Civ 5. The game sucks, but everyone said it was great.

• ET3D

Pity it’s only possible to select one. I buy mainly on Steam, because of the great sales, but I also bought at GOG, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Impulse, Big Fish Games and others. I don’t play them, though, just enjoy buying them. 🙂 (Well, I do plan to play them, in about 20 years when I retire and the kids leave home.)

I used to buy boxed PC bargain bin games, but there are so few of these to be found in stores these days, and it’s usually easier to wait for a Steam sale anyway. I buy boxed games for my Wii (order them from TheHut in the UK because it’s cheaper than buying locally).

• XaiaX

Yes. Poll options are insufficiently distinct and comprehensive.

Mostly Steam. I’ve got some stuff from Direct2Drive (Riddick for $5) some stuff from PlayGreenhouse (Penny-Arcade’s thing, got Braid there before the Steam version existed)

Haven’t bought anything from GfWL, maybe when Fable 3 comes out. We’ll see. I’ve been tempted severly by GoG, but Interstate ’76 is apparently wonky on Win7 x64, which is the main thing I was going to get.

• Kraft75

GoG, then Steam, depends on the games…

• south side sammy

I buy physical copies on line. One , because it’s harder to walk in a shop and find what you want… ( PC GAMES )… two, because I don’t like online streamed content. I like to actually feel like I own it….. now if we can only stop this “gotta” have a connection thing just to get the game to run thing and we’ll be all set………….. What happened to the good old days ? Congress should look into the we get treated and put these developers under the gun and give the consumer the protection we should be getting.

• OneArmedScissor

…or you should stop buying them.

Jeebus, people need to stop with this, “I need the government to babysit me!” mentality. I’m sure congress would do an absolutely terrific job of regulating the video game industry, on top of everything else they already can’t handle.

• south side sammy

Who’s going to protect the consumer ? The gaming industry ? We’re all getting screwed. Unfortunately some people aren’t smart enough to see it……… AHEM! Uncle Sam might be slow but something sometimes is better than nothing all the time.

• OneArmedScissor

Stop screwing yourself.

• cphite

Protect us from what? When you buy a game, take a moment and actually READ the information that comes with it. If it says you need an internet connection to play it, and you don’t like that, then don’t buy the game. See how easy that is even without the help of a government agency?

I mean seriously, what are you wanting the government to “protect” you from in this situation?

• paulWTAMU

As much as I hate the online requirement (and I tend to avoid games with it) I do not at all understand the whole push to hae the government actually intervene. WTF? These are GAMES, luxury items…you don’t need to have them. People lived without them most of our history.

• destroy.all.monsters

I suspect that you all are such “rugged individualists” that you see that all government regulation as bad. Which is a short sighted and uninformed viewpoint at best. The publishers are trying to have their cake and eat it too at the customers’ expense – and utilizing the courts and legislature to do so. To ask the government to actually do its job, which is protecting the rights of the public (and not corporations), is hardly a negative.

Sure you can attempt to let the market decide. That generally doesn’t turn out well. Just because Steam isn’t run by evil people now doesn’t mean that it won’t be and never can be.

People are largely sheep and take whatever abuse is doled out to them. That’s hardly better.

• paulWTAMU

Um, no. I’m not a big L libertarian. I favor government regulation for things like clean air, drinkable water, fair availability of housing (no refusing to rent because you’re black or Asian or something)…but these are GAMES FFS.
            You do NOT have a right to play games at all. Period. So they can include pretty much whatever restrictions they want. You can then feel free to tell them to piss off and decline to play the game.

• destroy.all.monsters

And people will continue to buy because people play games. Most people are not particularly well informed and bought the last 2 COD games with a variety of heinous anti-customer features. They sold like hotcakes. Ubisoft attempted their always online drm and had their ass handed to them. Yet, a huge percentage of what people have purchased here is indeed heavily burdened with drm – Steam.

Regulation of industries is what government does. Pretending that people don’t need past times or that since they are past times makes regulation ridiculous is specious. DVDs should never have been allowed to have regions and bluray should never be as locked down as it is. When we are talking about technological issues – especially who owns what is purchased the customer or the company that sold it (while the company itself is trying to reap the benefits of both without any of the drawbacks) it is inherently necessary for government to not simply act as the enforcement arm of big content.

• Peffse

This is a tough poll.
    I order games on Steam when they are deeply discounted… like, $2.50 or so.
    I also order physical copies online when they are on sale. EA had a good one recently where most of their games totaled $10 each with certain purchases.

Overall, I like physical copies.

• DrDillyBar

I use Steam the most by far, but occasionally use EA also.

• RoninGyrbill

It usually turns out that the games I spend the most time on, I order physical copies online. However Steam wins hands down, for most games purchased (and rarely played).

• khands

In terms of quantity it’s probably actually GOG (which, btw, you should have up there somewhere), followed by Steam then Impulse.

• barleyguy

Agreed. GOG is by far my largest online game provider, as far as quantity. Second would be buying DRM free direct from developers, especially the “Pay what you want” deals.

• jstern

I started buying game through steam, but my experience has been really bad.

For example, over a month ago I bought Doom 3 and Doom 3 Resurrection Of Evil, and I still haven’t been able to play. All it gives me is message saying “This game is currently unavailable, please try again another time.”

Grand Theft Auto IV, plus the episodes only work about 5% of the time, and won’t work through the HDMI cable, only on the horrible screen.

The older Doom don’t have support for a controller, unlike the versions I can get on the internet. But it could just be ignorance from my part, and at least it works.

Out of the games that I bought, only Street Fighter 4 works.

I have a Vaio, core i5 2.40ghz. Mobility Radeon 5470

• Buzzard44

Doom 3 has an expansion pack? WTH?

• Peffse

yea, it was coop or something. I forget.

• l33t-g4m3r

The expansion is called Resurrection of Evil, and you get a double barreled shotgun and a gravity gun. Not nearly as polished as doom3 was, and the new characters suck.
        Regardless, if you liked the original I would recommend the expansion as it is still fairly decent and adds a good number of extra features to the game. Don’t forget to try some of the user created stuff, as there is a lot of really cool mods out there.
        Oh and classic doom on steam uses dosbox, and that is probably the worst way to play the game. Copy the wad and use something else.

I’d be curious what Steam Support has to say about that. You’ve contacted them, right?

• jstern

I think I tried to contact them, don’t quite remember, but none the less, I was hoping it work much better than this out of the box. I don’t really mind, that’s why I haven’t really stressed out about it, because I get to keep the games and eventually play them on a more powerful computer.

• bthylafh

I believe the version of classic Doom you get from Steam is Doom 95, which has the basic GUI interface. Don’t waste your time on it – download a copy of GZDoom and use that to play the Doom WADs you paid for. There’s probably a fancy launcher out there for it, but I’m old-school enough to open up a command prompt and type in the switches, etc. by hand.

[url<]http://zdoom.org/wiki/Recommended_software[/url<]

• jstern

Thanks. I will check it out. I actually think I have a version of the Dooms that I can just open up on windows and set the settings, that I downloaded in 2002 or 03. But I will check your link.

• thesmileman

Steam has always been very responsive when I have contacted them.

I have bought and will continue to buy from three of the services listed – Steam, GFWL Marketplace, and EA’s store (and, while we’re at it, I have a couple games from GoG as well). However, if it’s available on Steam AND somewhere else, I’ll always buy it on Steam, so that’s how I voted.

• crazybus

Recently, most of the games I’ve bought have been through Steam, thanks to their sales. But I’ve also purchased games fro the GFWL store and occasionally retail. The yarrr service is great for trying out games that don’t have demo versions 😛

• cygnus1

I voted ‘via another service’, because I buy from D2D, Gamersgate and Steam. And still, though rarely, from B&M/retail.

• alloyD

Impulse anyone? I bought Sins of a Solar Empire and all of it’s expansions through that.

• drfish

Impulse for Sins, SupCom 1, and Elemental. Everything else on Steam unless you count Starcraft.

• kamikaziechameleon

Impulse is cool. I prefer steam but as impulse becomes more polished and less glitchy it looks better and better.

• DrDillyBar

SoaSE!

• mcforce0208

Gotta love Yarrrr………..

• Duck

What’s Yarrrrrrr mean?

• 2cans

OHH common man

• Duck

eh????

• cygnus1

shiver me timbers…. that help?

• Duck

Aye!

Shiver me timbers! If thar be booty that plentiful, I be a lily-livered, scurvy dog for not knowing about it! YARRRR!

• dalisam

Go! Steam Go!

• thesmileman

I just hope they don’t put the others out of business and then never have sales. The sales take steam from good to Fing Great!

• l33t-g4m3r

Where’s the all of the above/multiple?
    I buy from steam, d2d, gog, impulse, amazon, newegg, ebay, and maybe some other places. Whoever offers the cheapest prices gets my dollar.

• cobalt

[quote<]Where's the all of the above/multiple?[/quote<] I think the key word is "most". These days, the Steam sales ensure that most of my games -- in terms of [i<]quantity[/i<] -- come from them. But as most of those purchases are in the $1.50 - $5.00 range, if you add up all the money I spend on Steam, the few boxed retail games I purchase still account for more money.

• l33t-g4m3r

Not for me. I really don’t have a “preferred” service other than who’s cheapest and least drm.
        Games I really like I buy in a box, games that are meh I buy from steam on sale, and games that have less drm: gog and impulse.

I probably could vote steam, but since I don’t believe any of the available options accurately represent my purchasing habits, I’m going to not vote instead.

• khands