New MacBook Pros could already be shipping to retailers

A new generation of Apple notebooks might debut very soon, according to several reports that popped up around the web over the weekend. Those reports corroborate earlier stories about new MacBook Pro shipments beginning as early as this month.

One of this weekend’s reports, whipped up by the guys at AppleInsider, says Apple has told some large European retailers to "expect delivery of sealed product pallets to their brick-and-mortar stores as early as Monday." The retailers were instructed to wait for an announcement that will "follow shortly," and they’ve received strict orders not to unseal the pallets—under penalty of losing their Apple reseller licenses.

European retailers might not be the only ones getting the packages. Engadget has discovered several listings for new Apple stock-keeping units, or SKUs, with the same prices as some existing MacBook Pros: $1,199, $1,499, $1,799, and $2,199. The listings seem to include the words "Apple" and "new SKU," but not much else.

In related news, CNet News says Apple is about to make an announcement about a "new high-speed connection technology." The site reckons that announcement might have to do with Intel’s Light Peak interconnect, and it suspects a link to the new MacBook Pros, although it suggests such speculation isn’t backed by solid evidence… yet.

• HisDivineShadow

I expected this to happen last month. They’ve been talking about a new use for Lightpeak by Apple for a while now and the early word was it was going to be a new docking tech. I imagine it’ll come out around the same time as the new iPad is being discussed. They might “optimize” the connection for Macs, including the new Macbook Pro, but also leave it backward compatible with USB (though I doubt 3 as I don’t think Apple’s that progressive).

All that said, I’d love it if Apple finally gave us wireless sync. Sure, I don’t mind wire sync for firmware updates, but I don’t see why if I change a playlist or update a game on iTunes that it’s not pushing that change out to my iPod Touch wirelessly and automatically. It’s not like Apple refrains from making choices for me on a regular basis with iTunes, apps, iPods, and the like. The least they can do is go ahead and use my Wireless to sync my iPod Touch up when it’s sitting in its charging station. Or do they really expect me to constantly leave my iPod Touch hooked up to my computer? Who does that anymore?

For such a supposed forward thinker, they’re practically in the Stone Age with regards to PC to iPod Touch/iPhone sync.

• jdaven

…though I doubt 3 as I don’t think Apple’s that progressive…

Are you kidding me? Apple is always being ripped for being way ahead of the other hardware makers to the point of absurdity. They dropped floppy, serial, parallel, CRT, etc. way before anyone else. They were the first to make a shipping computer with USB only for external I/O (iMac). They are about to (next year or so) drop spinning hard and optical disks in favor of SSD’s and digital downloads in all their products.

Man, Apple just can’t win with you guys.

• A_Pickle

[quote<]Are you kidding me? Apple is always being ripped for being way ahead of the other hardware makers to the point of absurdity. They dropped floppy, serial, parallel, CRT, etc. way before anyone else. They were the first to make a shipping computer with USB only for external I/O (iMac).[/quote<] They don't have a crowd for whom backwards compatibility matters. I built a PC for a business the other day. It's got a nice, Gigabyte 880G motherboard. Know what I was [i<]still[/i<] able to hook it up to? A T-Max timer with an RS-232 serial port on it. I would've used a Mac (not really, no) but they're too pretty for ugly ol' serial ports, functionality be damned. [quote<]They are about to (next year or so) drop spinning hard and optical disks in favor of SSD's and digital downloads in all their products.[/quote<] Cool. A reason why I will remain with my PC's, because SSD's are: A.) Still expensive, and B.) Still smaller than those antiquated "spinning" disk drives. I don't think that Apple makes the right decisions when they decide to be "progressive," and they aren't even the ones that do the legwork. Good job on the USB-only iMac, know who made USB possible? Intel, which at USB's inception, was a company firmly on the PC side of things because Steve Jobs was still towing the "x86 sucks, PowerPC 4eva!" tagline. Then he came groveling back to Intel when IBM couldn't care less about how anemic G4 laptops were compared to Pentium M and Athlon 64-powered ones. Know what happens when Apple actually [i<]does[/i<] the R&D to make an industry standard? They don't make it an industry standard. They make it a proprietary connector which, to hell with everyone else, they're gonna make it. Thank you for ruining mobile devices for the better part of a decade, 30-pin iPod connector.

• jstern

The problem is that it won’t be light peak, but rather copper peak which sucks.

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak#Copper_vs._Optical[/url<]

• Corrado

“It is unclear if transmission speeds will be affected”

If they’re not, who cares if its copper vs optical?

• demani

And given how long it will take for devices to max out the copper connection its not a like it would be an insufferable problem anyway. If it works at rated speeds it would be a pretty solid connection. But I would be pretty surprised if LP is in the new machines.

• blastdoor

Hey, if bat guano-peak gives me 10 Gbps, I’m not going to complain…

• blastdoor

I read somewhere that Apple may integrate LightPeak with the magsage power connector to enable true one cable docking. That would be pretty nifty.

• ImSpartacus

Nah, that would be batshit insane. Awesome and wonderful, but batshit insane.

And besides, I’m not sure if Light Peak can carry enough power for that. Anybody know?

• blastdoor

My impression is that this would be a magsafe cable that *adds* lightpeak, not that the standard lightpeak interface has the power needed to charge a laptop.

I would imagine that there would also be a standard lightpeak connector on the laptop, too.

• ImSpartacus

Ohhhh, a custom magsafe that also accepts Light Peak? Yeah, that’s possible, but as long as there’s 3-4 LP ports on there, I don’t think we need to worry about running short.

• l33t-g4m3r

Oh, how exciting! I’m quivering with anticipation. Not. Apple can spontaneously combust for all I care.

If you really want a fast laptop get one of these:
    [url<]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BA73XW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004CYEY9I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QWP8W5036QS379G401Z[/url<]

• OneArmedScissor

I hate Apple. Words fail to express how much I despise the company. Their computers are too expensive. Their ethics suck. Their fanboys suck. Did I ever tell you about the time where I hate Apple?

And I still think a $1,200 Macbook Pro is a better deal that that 8 pound, overpriced turd you linked that may have just barely enough battery life to survive unplugged while you’re moving it with a fork lift to another outlet in the house.

• Kurotetsu

[CompletelyMissingThePoint]You need a forklift to pick up an 8lbs laptop? Seriously? I would suggest taking that $1,200 and buy yourself a gym membership. You desperately need it.[/CompletelyMissingThePoint]

• ImSpartacus

That thing is a brick.

Pure performance is great, but things like build quality and battery life matter as well.

Apple laptops have great battery life across all screen sizes. Their build quality is top notch. The keyboard is satisfactory, the screens rock, and the trackpad, ohhhh, the trackpad!

I probably wouldn’t’ve bought my MBP13’09 if I hadn’t gotten it with a $100 student discount and an iPod Touch. After selling the iPod Touch, I covered tax and got the total price to almost $1000 even. Apple products aren’t cheap, but if you know how to buy them, you can get a solid product for a decent price.

• KamikaseRider

“new high-speed connection technology.”

Maybe USB 3.0 on macbook??

• dpaus

What, and be compatible with the rest of the industry?? Get real…

• End User

We may see Apple/Intel push Light Peak instead of USB 3.0.

• Ushio01

Apple with light peak and a sorry but you now need new mouse, external harddrive etc yay : (

• Kurotetsu

Well, supposedly, one strength of Light Peak (well, Copper Peak now) is compatibility with all other (external?) interconnects. So you SHOULD be able to run USB over Light/Copper Peak.

• dpaus

Oh, good – another market for over-priced Apple adaptors!

• A_Pickle

Yes. You need 10 gbps for your damn [i<]mouse[/i<].

• KoolAidMan

Intel and Apple are skipping right past USB 3.0 and over to Light Peak. There’s a reason why USB 3.0 chipsets come from companies other than Intel, they’re passing over it for something much much faster.

We’ll probably see LP in PC motherboards soon after they appear in Macs.

• A_Pickle

[quote<]We'll probably see LP in PC motherboards soon after they appear in Macs.[/quote<] Cool. So Intel is deliberately letting Apple have an I/O lead, then? Screw that. USB 3.0, now please.

• KoolAidMan

Talk about cutting off your own nose to spite one’s face. You really want to reject a faster technology with a much longer roadmap ahead because Intel and Apple co-developed it and it is showing up in Macs a little before they’re in PCs?

Fanboys are hilarious. I in the meantime will enjoy having LP in my 2011 PC.

• jdaven

Not a single leaked design change by an accessory maker. No factory parts found in the wild from a disgruntled FOXCONN employee. No rumors of any design changes. No one week out media conference announcement.

I’m thinking this is just a spec bump to SB and nothing else. Alas, I had hope that optical drives would be dropped and SSD adopted across all lines for a thinner, lighter design, ala MBA. Doesn’t look like this will be the case.

Oh well.

• pdjblum

For once I am truly not trying to be confrontational. I have restrained myself over the past number of weeks and have not spewed my apple hate. jdaven, I just don’t get why it would be a big deal if info leaked about the revision. Intel, as well as many other companies, announces new part specs months in advance of official release, and if anything it generates excitement about the new part. Certainly the released specs on the new version of their ssd has me excited.

• jdaven

I guess you misunderstand me. I WANT there to be leaked parts, rumors, etc. When nothing happens, that usually means Apple doesn’t think that the new products are very ground breaking and all we are going to get is a spec bump. I read rumor and leaked part sites constantly so I know ahead of time what is going to be released so I can make the most informed purchasing decisions.

For Apple parts, sites like Appleinsider, Macrumors, 9to5mac, Think Secret (when it existed), etc are great for figuring out Apple’s plans. I also visit rumor sites for non-apple products as well so I can build the best gaming rig money can buy.

Bring on the rumors and the speculation so I can use the law of averages and historical context to figure out fud from fact.

• pdjblum

I see. Wonder why I was given a thumbs down for posting a respectful, non confrontational question. Do you think apple fanatics read any question as an attack and if so, what is that about? I have my own ideas, but I do not want to be nasty.

• pdjblum

Whomever the asshole is who keeps giving me a thumbs down, you are a coward at best.

• dpaus

Don’t overlook the possibility that people are just messin’ with your head 🙂

• esterhasz

You can already replace the DVD with a 2.5″ drive, so I don’t mind, but I really hope that the 15″ model gets a bit lighter.

Side note: if you’d spend the time reading rumor sites on paid work you could probably get a significantly better gaming rig…

• themattman

I was hoping to see a refresh of the laptop design, but faster internals/Light Peak(?) are always welcome 🙂

• ImSpartacus

I can’t believe no one saw this coming. Look at what laptop Intel used for its mock ups. Intel wants to replace [i<]everything[/i<] with Light Peak. I think that kind of minimalistic universality is appealing to Apple. [url<]http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=252062&d=1284705741[/url<]

• OneArmedScissor

Eh, Apple has been saying for a long time that they will be the first on board with lightpeak. :p

• ImSpartacus

Have they? I missed that. Well, it was obvious, either way.

• FireGryphon

Breath-taking.

Heart-warming.

• bthylafh

RED FLAG TOUCH

• Neutronbeam

Soul-searching.

• ew

Calvin Klein

• Kharnellius

Eat Something!
          [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1dlt2uM3eA[/url<]

• ImSpartacus

I just want to let you know that I went from that video to this one in exactly five clicks.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj29Df-fy5M[/url<] Truly magical.