Bulletstorm is out, PC demo on the way

Earlier today, Bullestorm became available on Steam, as well as from Newegg, Amazon, and—I expect—brick-and-mortar stores. What if you want to give the action shooter a try before forking out the $59.99, though? Well, fret not.

As Rock, Paper, Shotgun reports, Epic Games VP Mark Rein has revealed on Twitter that a demo of the game is on the way. “Bulletstorm PC demo is in the works! Won’t make it in time for ship date but should be available shortly after,” the Tweet says rather curtly. (Epic Games co-developed the game with People Can Fly.) Now, “shortly after” isn’t much of a time frame, but it at least sounds like fence-sitters may not have to wait for weeks or months like with some other titles.

Either way, I think it’s nice to see PC game developers not neglecting demos altogether. The folks at Epic and People Can Fly aren’t the only ones. Last week, we found out that Crytek plans to serve up a Crysis 2 multiplayer demo on March 1, a good three weeks ahead of that game’s full release.

• kamikaziechameleon

60 dollars doesn’t bother me, the day of fixed game cost is long gone. If the game warrants it I’ll pay for it.

Not saying this is a game that Is necesarily worth 60 or even 40, We will have to see.

• potatochobit

isn’t like 60$ the typical fixed game cost of PS3 stuff?
      idk, I dont own one but I remember the 45$ days

• NeXus 6

IMO, most games don’t warrant it. Even then, you have to ask yourself if you can wait a while for the price to drop or wait for an early sale. I’m more comfortable paying $20-$40 these days. $60 just seems outrageous for a PC game that can be completed in a few days or a week.

• potatochobit

tihs game is a joke
    I saw the add on TV, awesome multiplayer experience or something they said
    then they post ‘we are disabling coop’ because our game is broken

• Hurstmeister

They didnt say they were disabling coop because it was broken. They said they disabled it because it took away from what they wanted players to do in the game. Coop was working 100% in the beta,.. but what was happening was that you found yourself in a race through each game level by passing the scenery. 6 hour game knocked out in 10 mins. Thats why they disabled coop.

• jcw122

$60?! Oh wait, same price as a brand new PS1 game back in the day…WHO CARES. Look at every single other market in the entire world and video games is the only one that has experienced 0 inflation in at least the last 15 years.

Uh, no? At release, most PS1 games were $40. I still have the sticker on my FF IX case and it says 39.99. Bought it within a week of release.

• etrigan420

If the *value* of PC games had increased at the same rate as inflation then I might tend to agree with you…

• jcw122

That’s actually a great point.

• axeman

I’m pretty sure if you want to try it out you could download it now, un-yarrr it, and play it.

• l33t-g4m3r

What happened to the days when the demo came out first? Oh, now I remember. They changed it because studies showed that letting people try out games that suck before release, causes them not to buy it.

• Meadows

Replace “studies” with “common sense of company board meetings”. You don’t need a study to figure that out.

• Skrying

What’s preventing you from waiting on the demo?

• Ardrid

What happened to the days where developers actually gave a damn about PC gamers? Even more despicable is the fact that Epic ostensibly came to popularity because of PC gamers. You think anyone would give a damn about Gears of War or Bulletstorm if Unreal/UT weren’t made successful by PC gamers?

Bullletstorm had a demo before it came out, just not for PC.

• Silus

I really don’t understand how can a demo be released after the full game is already out…
    Oh well, it’s their loss…

• thesmileman

I am still going to get this game but does anyone else feel like this game should actually have multiplayer (I know it has those two competitive modes but I don’t call that real multiplayer)? I don’t really care about the money myself but I know lots of people who do and it seems a little steep. I know there are other options if you want multiplayer but I would like to see a different take on it. Also most fps games give you 4-6 hours (if you know how to play them) in single player. Anyway I am just looking for serious responses not a all out flame war.

• donkeycrock

sixty dollars – i’ll wait till x-mas for 75% off

• NeronetFi

I don’t get the new pricing scheme for PC games. $60 for about 4hrs of game play is way to much IMO. I too will wait till around X-mas to grab it if it is worth it.

• mikehodges2

Who said anything about 4 hours of gameplay?

• NeronetFi

that was just an exaggeration on my part. Most of the new games that have come out last me about 4 – 6 hrs until I complete it.

• Silus

Actually, he’s not too far off. I’ve been reading some reports that the game is not much longer than 5 hours.

I get the $60 price tag of console games vs. the $50 price tag on PC games, because the platform owners charge a licensing fee. That’s not true for PC, I don’t believe. :-/

• NeronetFi

Plus gaming on a pc already cost more then on console due to hardware upgrades.

Maybe they are now charging for porting games from the console……..

well my point was I don’t get how PC games wind up the same price as console games because there are development costs for any platform but there are special charges for the console platforms.

• mikehodges2

PC games need more testing I guess…for the massive array of hardware available for the platform, vs maybe 2 versions of each console? (ie, Old, fat, loud xbox, and the new one)

• NeronetFi

I agree with you it has always been pc version of a game was cheaper, until recently. I guess the developers have figured since kids are throwing away $60 on a new game for a console they can do the same for the pc. That and this is probably there way to make up for lost wages on pirated copies of a game.

It just annoys me because I remember paying $30 – $40 for a new release and now they are asking $60. For games that aren’t really that good. Sure it has eye candy but lacks story and doesn’t really stick with you after you complete it.

• flip-mode

I don think that tweet says anything curtly at all.

Dragon Age II demo is supposed to be out today, too. It’s already out for consoles, but should be available for PC today as well.

[url<]http://dragonage.bioware.com/info/demo/[/url<] I wouldn't ever touch Bulletstorm without a demo, so I'm glad I'll get a shot at it. The console demo was well-liked, so hopefully it's a good game, but People Can Fly did the Gear of War for Windows port and it was sucktacular with constant Vsync issues. Even with Vsync forced "on" in the drivers, it ran at around 62fps causing constant tearing. It was super distracting.