Report: Apple to announce iPad 2 on March 2

Mark your calendars, folks. All Things Digital blogger Kara Swisher says she’s learned from "multiple sources" that Apple will unveil its second-gen iPad one week from now, on March 2. The device may not become available straight away—indeed, other sources are hinting at a possible June release—but a announcement could answer one key question: how will this year’s competing tablets compare?

The All Things Digital blogger quotes analyst chatter about a thinner iPad with an "improved display," a front-facing camera, and a Qualcomm chip offering both GSM and CMDA network connectivity. The WSJ stated plainly earlier this month that the iPad 2’s display resolution will be "similar" to that of the original, so Apple might have other improvements in store. Either that, or one of the two publications is wrong. Hmm.

In any case, Swisher writes that the Wednesday, March 2 announcement date is "firm," and Apple is expected to send invites shortly for the event. That’s according to "several sources close to the situation." The same sources expect the event to take place in San Francisco, possibly at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, where Apple has orchestrated many of its famous keynotes.

• smilingcrow

I may make an announcement next week stating whether I am interested or not in the new iPad.
    If I leak this information beforehand I will be in breach of my own NDA so will have to fall on my own iSword.
    The iSword in question is itself under NDA so as I have inadvertently revealed its existence I will now have to find another way to commit Hare Krishna.
    So to repent I will instead shave the Apple Logo onto my head and walk around town banging a small drum, waving iNcense chanting ‘Had Enough Already’ ‘Had Enough Already’ ‘Had Enough Already’ please Moses, enough of the tablets already.

• Corrado

When you deliver products that millions upon millions of people want generation after generation, then the fact that you’re making an announcement will matter. Until then, no one cares.

• yogibbear

Isn’t that like the bible?

• trackerben

Heh. The Abrahamic text are leaked messages about God’s plan to restore the broken macrocosm (including scummy rebellious humanity) via the generous mission of his intermediary and personal model, aka Messiah/Christ.

Apple’s savior mediates his vision of consumer-wunder to all who would put faith in his competence in personal design, against fallen usage paradigms entrenched by that most reviled of his foes, the nonintuitive IT advocate. All the while buffing the glory that is the company’s balance sheets, of course. Same master-servant, top-down, opt-in-or-you’re- out approach. But unlike the aforementioned deity’s, the grace is in the trickle-up profits.

Steve Jobs and his messaging *might* symbolize something of the biblical sort to certain tenous mentalities out there, but not me, oh no…

• esterhasz

You’ve got quite the plan lined up there for next week, good luck!

• BoBzeBuilder

[url<]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/technology-12550429[/url<] I think this is aa more important apple story.

• yogibbear

You do realise that n-hexane is just one of many basic chemicals that are found naturally in oil. Though i’m not saying it’s not toxic to humans (it MOST CERTAINLY is toxic to humans), but you would have to sit there with your exposed hands in it, or not wear any breathing protection and have really bad ventilation or something to reach exposure levels in a normal environment to cause long term damage. The boiling point is (off the top of my head) ~70 deg C which is WAAAAYYYY above any normal room temperature even in a heat wave, so it’s not going to have large amount of vapour given off. At least they weren’t using something completely daft like benzene.

Now i’m not going to say I’m an expert, but either the factory should have provided proper PPE and a working environment that fully mitigated all risks for handling the n-hexane or switched to a less toxic/non-toxic solution.

• Corrado

Why are they asking Apple for the apology? Thats like the WalMart shelf stocker demanding an apology from you because you shop there, causing WalMart to make him work long hours.

These people ARE NOT EMPLOYED BY APPLE. Apple pays a 3rd party company to produce its goods. This 3rd party company is who is responsible for these employees. These aren’t Nike owned sweatshops. This is you paying a landsaping company to mow your lawn only to find out that they forced 10 year olds to do it for $5 a day when you pay the company $15, and the kids being mad at YOU for it.

• NeelyCam

I fixed your completely unwarranted -1

• Palek

I changed your -2 to a -1.

Let’s see how far we can take this! 🙂

• Xenolith

I bet it’s pretty.

• mcnabney

This is the Apple hype-machine.

They are getting free press by announcing that there will be an announcement.

That isn’t news. That is the Apple marketing machine laughing at the media.

• End User

There has been no announcement from Apple.

• dpaus

A deliberate leak is the first of a series of hype-generating ‘announcements’ and Apple are masters at that game.

• blastdoor

Not that it really matters, but how do you know that it was a deliberate leak?

Either way, I agree that Apple’s approach to marketing is incredibly effective. But it’s not just the marketing. Apple’s marketing is only successful because they have a track record of delivering products that people really like. When Apple introduced the first iPod they used essentially the same marketing techniques that they use now, and for a small group of Apple fans, that probably was effective. But most people couldn’t have cared less at the time. Today, far more people care because of a strong track record of great products going back ten years.

• End User

The masters of “hype-generating” right now is BlackBerry. It has been over 5 months since they announced the PlayBook (the first of three!) and they have yet to ship it.

• thesmileman

Apparently your reading skills are top notch since Apple didn’t make an announcement.

• NeelyCam

That’s how the game is played these days.

• burntham77

Thank you! At first I thought March 2nd was the release date, which I thought was good as we are going to see the first Android 3.0 tablet tomorrow. A little competition could help drive down prices.

But an announcement about an announcement? Lame.

• Kraft75

Breath-taking.

XD

Couldn’t resist, stole that from yesterday’s Macbook Pro story! I was laughing my ass off readind that thread! :-p

• JustAnEngineer

i-Meaningless stuff seems to get all of the press around here lately.

• TaBoVilla

somewhat true, this is news about a report about a possible announcement of a possible future product. =P

• Corrado

Not to be contrary, but SOMEONE must like it. They sell millions upon millions of them. I don’t mind reading it. I think my problem is with the lag in reporting. Its been on engadget and gizmodo for a week+ now.

Thats the one thing I wish TR did more of, aggregating tech news. I understand that they have original reviews and content as well, but it sucks having only 1 or 2 stories posted a day.

• l33t-g4m3r

Makes one wonder, doesn’t it?

• blastdoor

I guess the young people just aren’t as interested in stories about heat sinks and thermal grease. I weep for the future.

• Corrado

Do sites even still do heatsink reviews? I stopped caring once I hit 25 and didn’t want a screaming meanie in my bedroom anymore and switched to quiet components.

• blastdoor

I guess I should have also said that old people with lives outside of their computer case also don’t care about heatsinks and thermal grease.

The tech world has changed enormously in the last 10 years and the rise of Apple is one of the biggest changes. Any site that reports on tech (for example, TechReport) is going to be reporting on Apple. Some people have a really hard time with this, but I think that’s primarily their problem.

Oddly enough the trend in heat sinks is to make them quieter. There are still sites doing heat sink reviews. Frostytech does very, very good reviews, no reason for anyone else to even bother.

I spent money on aftermarket cooling, but it was to get the noise down even more and at the same time get better cooling performance.

• A_Pickle

I’m like you, but I still wanted cool components. Did some research about heatsinks, and decided on the Xigmatek HDT-S1284 — heatpipe contact and works with a regular ol’ 120mm fan, so I was able to make every fan in my case a rubber-mounted 120mm Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E. You can’t hear her purr. 🙂

• JustAnEngineer

Now that you’ve got a real job and an appreciation for quietness, you can go to the other extreme with aftermarket heatsinks. Both of my desktop PCs have acquired Corsair Hydro H70 coolers in the past six months.

• Corrado

I barely touch my desktop PC anymore to be honest. I just built it recently, but its mainly used for media serving. I bought a $15 cooler master heatsink at MicroCenter with it, and I actually did some research and bought some scythe 80mm fan for it. Its quiet, and it keeps the x2 humming along with all 4 cores unlocked, with a motherboard, for $60 total after rebate. I use my 15″ MBP for the majority of my computing. So much so that I gave my wife my iPad about 2 weeks after I got the MBP. I do miss the iPad sometimes though, and will skip the 2 and see what the 3 brings before going back to a tablet.

• End User

The vast majority of PC owners don’t build their rigs. Those of us who do are the minority. Most computer users have no idea what a heat sink is.

My iPad has just as much draw for me as my dual H70 equipped server.

me too, on your last point. Except that neither of those items has any draw for me at all. 😆

• burntham77

I was actually hoping TR would give some more Android 3.0 coverage, as I am really interested in a tablet with that OS. I actually have some genuine uses for one, none of which include bragging.