Extended Elder Scrolls: Skyrim trailer gives us chills

There’s a brand-new, extended trailer for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim out, and, well, see for yourself.

The world portayed there looks so rich, so fully realized, it makes you want to visit and explore, doesn’t it? Here’s hoping the suspension of disbelief isn’t entirely ripped in two by a cheesy dialog system or a mini-game where you try to influence non-player characters with your dexterity. Not that anyone’s ever made that mistake!

Skyrim is set for release on 11/11/11, not far from the rumored release date for Guild Wars 2. Fantasy geek overload, here we come.

• Jambe

Apparently the dragons they spent all the previous games hyping up are quite scary, amazingly important, and unbelievably stupid.

Man: Wraaaaaaaaaaar!
    Dragon: I have fire breath. Forget that, lemme fly within sword’s reach of you just because.
    Man: *slice*
    Dragon: Oh nooooes! *dies*
    Man: Mm, yes, retarded dragon auras are the best dragon auras.

• cegras

Perhaps there’s mythological restrictions on how long a dragon might gout fire for? That’s a pretty common one cropping up all the time.

• absinthexl

Gamebryo… Gamebryo never changes.

• sweatshopking

Learn to read. [url<]http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/12/confirmed-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-will-use-an-entirely-new-engine/[/url<] seriously. what's wrong with you guys these days?

• Bensam123

Everything looks gray and washed out and the combat system still looks clunky. 🙁

Amazing trailer though.

The water definitely needs work as well. It looks like a flowing slab of concrete in the waterfall scene.

• Meadows

“Gray” is the new word for “realistic”. Honestly though, you’re [u<]completely right[/u<]. I miss the old times when games had interesting visuals and sparkling colours. My all-time favourite example of this is Sacrifice - not only an amazing-looking game back in 2000, but also a damn good game at that. Pity it never sold well, and caused yet another studio to stop being creative because of that.

• lethal

I agree, while the game overall looks good, that water looks atrocious. I’m not sure if it’s bethesda’s fault or the gamebryo engine, but oblivion and fallout 3 had horrible human models and water. At least one of those is getting fixed =p.

• yogibbear

Too many dragons.

• webs0r

I hope they bring back those infinite soul stones….. plsssss make enchanting fun again!

• ShadowTiger

This game will be lots of fun, but I will wait a year or two until enough mods come out to make it a customized experience.

• cegras

“ripped in two by a cheesy dialog system”

The reason why I could not play Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

• Meadows

Dragon Age was amazing.

• sweatshopking

or it was mediocre.

• BehemothJackal

Why do you think so? Dragon Age was fantastic! It could only be though of as mediocre if you didn’t like games such as Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights. For a fan of the aforementioned games, Dragon Age was like a friend in need when RPGs were starting to become a little too casual.

• sweatshopking

I did like those games. And it seemed to be a remake. I don’t think it actually brought anything new to the genre. Besides the chance to sleep with an elf dude, obviously.

Good graphics, good engine, and alright story. Just not amazing.

• voodootronix

massively hyped for this – worried the particle effects on the spells look as if little work has gone in – I remember FFX on PS2 having more exciting looking magic. Otherwise, Morrowind and Oblivion (and even Daggerfall) are for the perfect Western RPGs and simply hope they haven’t fucked with the formula. And brought back levitate!

• Wintermane

Ok a few things…

For those complaining abouit the lighting in ob.. this time they have much better lighting,, thats why they made a new engine so they could get lighting and much better distance detail on the consoles… so it does actualy look vastly better on the consoles then it did before.. by the way this whole vid.. is the 360 version of the game.

On animations if you look the animations are a massive improvement over ob.

On the old leveling system.. dont worry they use a new system.. there are no minor or major skills.. all 18 skills level you the same way so you just pick what you want to raise when you want to raise it… as a skill gets higher it raises your level more then a lower level skill does…

Also now you gain a perk every level and you can have up to 50 perks total tho you can reach level 70-75 if you try REAL hard.. and thats out of at least 280 perks/levels of perks..

Yes the map is small.. about the same as ob but that cant be helped as they hand made the entire thing. It should feel bigger tho as its so mountainous.

• Skrying

Ugh, I felt absolutely nothing from that. It looks like Oblivion 2.0.

• TurtlePerson2

Here’s hoping that this is more like Fallout 3 and less like Oblivion. Oblivion’s world felt empty to me. There were quests to go on and dungeons to crawl through, but none of these were interesting to me. Perhaps it’s because I’m not much of a fantasy person, but I really thought that Oblivion was uninteresting.

• glacius555

Crysis is still the best looking game..

• geekl33tgamer

Oh My God…

..That looks epic. Upon release, the next 6 months on my calendar are marked as “busy”. Having a social life is so over rated.

• PrincipalSkinner

I’ve developer an allergy towards Elder Scrolls games. Their leveling system was so flawed in Morrowind that you could get stuck in a cabin a cast fireballs on the wall. After a while you leave the cabin with several exp levels gained. It sucked balls.

• khands

Nah, it makes total sense, you’re practicing, regardless of whether it’s on a combat basis.

• travbrad

It may make sense, but that doesn’t mean it’s good game design. As much as I loved Oblivion, at one point I found my “stamina” or whatever it was called was leveling much slower than everything else, so I stuck myself in a corner and set my ipod on my keyboard to hold down the W key.

Rewarding players for not playing the game seems somewhat strange, although certainly not uncommon in the world of RPGs…

EDIT: -3 for telling about my experience with the game? Okay then… I guess I should have just lied and said “Oblivion was the bestest game evar”, then all the Bethesda fanboys would be happy.

• swaaye

I still like it more than the super abstract experience points mechanic used by every other RPG. Although TES does use experience points, you gain them in a more interesting way I think.

Personally I’d rather have a fully equipment and skill-based gameplay design like with STALKER.

• travbrad

Yeah I guess that’s basically my complaint with it. It’s not STALKER 😀

• Geistbar

The real issue with the leveling system is that if you wanted your character to be as powerful as possible, it was actively disadvantageous to pick your favorite skills as the ones that determine when you level up. It’s very counter-intuitive, and I, at least, found it to be not fun.

• webs0r

Although after looking up the detail in the mechanics, I started using a written sheet to optimise my skill distribution. Which added an almost mini-game like experience to the game – I wanted to keep playing – doing what I was doing but in certain situations I could *not* use an action that would promote a certain skill.

Heh.

But yeah I agree, better if they just fix that.

• blitzy

bethesda seems to struggle with their human models, always so wooden and gimpy.. i guess they seem a little better than the last elder scrolls, but not that much.

• Meadows

What are you talking about. There’s nothing wrong with the human models, except the guy who was stabbed in the stomach and remains rather disinterested about that fact.

• can-a-tuna

Very nice indeed. Alas, I didn’t like the low’ish polygon count. Thanks consoles.

• geekl33tgamer

Might be DX11 by release. We can always hope…

• webs0r

On the plus side perhaps the console constraint on hardware has allowed them to spend more time making the world and quests interesting.

I want a more Morrowind-like experience.

Please don’t make me close a hundred gates in the same procedurally generated world… 🙁

• BehemothJackal

I’m sure that won’t happen again. 🙂

• kamikaziechameleon

looks good but after the BF3 trailer I’m a little let down by the visuals.

• BehemothJackal

That’s because BF3 is built on the PC for the PC and then ported to the consoles.

As for Skyrim, Todd Howard has gone on record saying that they want to make sure that all the versions of the game look the same except for PC’s anti-aliasing.

• Delphis

Looks great 🙂 .. I’ll be sure to get that when it comes out. Although with the rate I go through games I still haven’t finish Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV) and its expansions yet. I’m sure the wife and kids won’t mind if I lock myself away for a month come November? .. lol .. j/k

• CampinCarl

Aaaand the ground still looks like a 2D texture. No depth at all. Sadface.

• ClickClick5

90% of a great game comes from the music.

Gah! Must control the inner geek!

• BoBzeBuilder

Are you dupid? I turn off music when I play my games. I want realism. Do you hear music when you walk down the street?

• Meadows

“Cinematic” is the new hip word. Do you see movies *without* music?

• ClickClick5

In my head, yes.

• BoBzeBuilder

lol +1

• ludi

I can get reality by turning off my computer. The cinematic experience, meanwhile, is downright odd without music.

If you want an example, go re-watch the original pilot episode of [i<]Futurama[/i<]. The characters are there, the humor is there, the voice actors are there albeit maybe maybe a little flat, and...what's missing? Why does it seem like something is missing? Hmm....

• webs0r

Cool music! It’s originally from Morrowind with additions (chorals) to beef it up. Nice 🙂

• Suspenders

Amazing. Also, I liked that PEGI 18 rating.

• yokem55

Whoosh — That was the sound of about 150 hours of my life going out the window starting in November. Between the Elder Scrolls games and the 2 installments of Fallout by Bethesda & Obsidian, I’ve probably burned over 700 hours on their games. It might be time to break out Morrowind again and soup it up with all the craziest mods & texture packs possible and take it for a run again….

• Silus

Absolutely epic! Can’t wait for this game!

• odizzido

The art looks really good for this game…..it does make me want to walk around in the world. But I know I won’t like the gameplay.

• thesmileman

Everything looked great except for the players stupid hat.

• Sunburn74

I know. His hat was so stupid!

• Meadows

Chills is a nice play on the wintry setting, but the video itself is mediocre, and I also find the music a bit forced and disagreeable.

The last time I ever remember having “chills” during any videogame cinematic was in World of Warcraft. Say what you want about the game, but Blizzard have an unmatched gift for amazing videos. Been getting better and better ever since Diablo II, and those videos 11 years ago were nothing to be ashamed of, either. I still keep seeing much worse even to this day.

• GrimDanfango

I agree, the music and atmosphere really feels like “create your own earth-shattering epic fantasy, in three simple steps!”
      While they’ve overcranked the high-fantasy nonsense dialogue and the rousing music, the couple of glimpses of actual standard gameplay look their usual underwhelming self. The town shot still looks like characters walk around looking stiff-as-planks and unaware of their surroundings. The glimpses of combat still look like generic run-straight-towards-you-while-you-click-a-lot. They can’t even pull off epic sense of scale, because they seem unable to create an engine that can render large enough expanses – everything ends up strange little macro-environments. The next “bustling town” is rarely more than a 60 second journey away, and rarely contains more than ~10 buildings/20 occupants…

Mark my words… it’ll be the same old dross with a few more polygons.

• kamikaziechameleon

I agree, the games music and voice over where boring to me.

Visually the game lacks polygons, good texture work, good animation and a good light engine.

I love oblivion with almost 100 hours spent in that game.

Just sayin this one didn’t wow me like oblivion did before it. I know devs are complaining about not wanting another gen of consoles but I think we gamers deserve one if only so they don’t hold back pc developement so much anymore.

• Meadows

Oblivion “wowed” you? Goodness gracious my boy, you’re easy to impress.

• BehemothJackal

You’re just hard to please. Oblivion was mind-blowing for its time.

• Meadows

The graphics may have been good, but every gamer worldwide remembers it as the polar opposite of [i<]anything[/i<] that would "wow" you.

• BehemothJackal

Personally the game blew me away both from a graphics and a gameplay stand point. Sure I’ve had my fair share of criticisms with the game such as the crappy animations, faces, and too few voice actors, but the sense of freedom and exploration in such a beautiful world was exhilarating.

• Bensam123

Their Cataclysm cinematic trailer sucked. I would agree with the rest of them though.

• sigler00

I am looking forward to this game more than anything this year, should be easily worth a day 1 purchase and sure to cause my wife grief when it comes out.

• Wintermane

I definetly like how the magic looks. and the dragon shout was realy nifty.

• bthylafh

It’s certainly pretty.

• NeelyCam

I wonder if it’ll be that pretty on PS3…

• wobbles-grogan

My bones were actually shaking!

Good choice of music!!

• Hdfisise

The music is my favourite part of the trailer.

• Suspenders

Hopefully Jeremy Soule is coming back for round 3 😉

EDIT: Just checked, and yes Jeremy is back for Skyrim. Woohooo!

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSV1CERCr0&hd=1[/url<]

• webs0r

Oh was he the Morrowind guy? Cos it is the same themes from that game – not that there is anything wrong with that. Will just bring back memories of the greatest rpg evar!!

• Suspenders

Yeah, same guy. He’s also the composer to KOTOR, Icewind Dale, Guild Wars, and a bunch of other stuff. He’s one of my favourite video game composers.

The Morrowind theme is also known as [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhLMGh_47A<]"Nerevar Rising"[/url<] and is indeed quite awesome. It manages to somehow be both sad and majestic at the same time. Judging from developer comments, they also consider this to be the "Elder Scrolls" theme, which is fine by me 😉 If that's not enough, there's also a slightly different take called [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7HZJmPS4U4<]"Nerevar Rising (Reprise)"[/url<].