Lost Apple business could hurt Nvidia’s market share

When Apple unveiled its refreshed MacBook Pro lineup last month, everyone focused on the Sandy Bridge processors within and the new Thunderbolt port. Apple did make another very notable change, however: it ditched Nvidia across the board, offering users either Sandy Bridge’s built-in graphics component (in the 13" MacBook Pro) or AMD Radeons (in the bigger models).

DigiTimes now reports that Nvidia’s GPU market share for the first half of 2011 could be "impacted" by the change. Depending on exactly how Nvidia’s share suffers, it could mean the company didn’t make up for the lost business with other design wins.

Apple is certainly a bigger player than it used to be, and it has gone from nearly universal adoption of Nvidia GPUs to a more mixed product lineup. Nvidia chips remain integrated by default in the MacBook, MacBook Air, and Mac mini, while the Macbook Pro and iMac lineups have defected to AMD. Considering the MacBook, MacBook Air, and Mac mini all feature older Core 2 processors, though, they might follow.

DigiTimes blames Nvidia’s unwillingness to offer discounts for the defection. By contrast, it says AMD "has offered a good quote and is showing a corporative [sic] attitude." The site expects AMD to "be able to form further cooperation with Apple," as well.

• A_Pickle

And better-performing PC’s, at that…

• A_Pickle

Yeah, they don’t care — and for most people, a Pentium and/or Celeron dual-core provides plenty of performance for all of the Microsoft Office and YouTube HD that they’re gonna be taxing their systems with.

Buuuuut it’s Apple, not the people, that gets to decide what the people get. Solution? Don’t box yourself up in an Apple orchard.

• A_Pickle

[quote<]I remember him getting really angry because Google decided to get in the smart phone business. Like how dare they.[/quote<] Yep, I distinctly remember that. That was a BIG reason as to why I won't buy Apple's garbage -- the guy at the top was literally butthurt that [i<]another[/i<] multi-billion dollar international tech company was involving itself in the smartphone market. That pissed me off, I was thinking, "Uh, Mr. Jobs, you [i<]do[/i<] realize that your company operates within the context of a capitalist system that not only has competition, but in fact [i<]uses it as a mechanism[/i<] to better and improve society?!?" And, to add insult to injury, Apple was already being dickish about the App Store and stuff. Um, hello? First you bitch that somebody has [i<]THE GALL[/i<] to COMPETE with you, and then you go and... provide them a competitive incentive? Cool story, brah. God I hope Jobs and Apple lose the smartphone wars, and I hope they lose 'em hard.

• tanker27

After the whole fiasco of failed GPUs on the 2008/2009 series laptops I dont see this as a bad thing.

• NeelyCam

These things have inertia. It takes extra effort to switch from one supplier to another, and AMD might have been willing to give up some margin to get their foot through the door with Apple. In the future, they are in the “current supplier” position and might be able to get better margins, while NVidia would have to pay a price to get back in the game.

Overall, NVidia might’ve decided that it might not be worth it to compete with AMD for Apple business – they rather keep enjoying the good margins on other products, and expand on cellphone/tablet business instead (where AMD isn’t ruining the margins).

Different companies have different approaches and strategies, and nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]sarcasm aside, you honestly think people buy Apple products because they want to save money?[/quote<] The high price is definitely part of the value proposition (some people think they gain status from buying high-price items), but do you really think that's the reason the majority of their customers pick Apple products? I think the 'shiny new thing" factor is more dominant in Apple buying decisions. The good OS along with good hardware is a good selling point until other options offer almost-as-good OS with quite-a-bit-better-hardware 30-50% cheaper. Personally, I think $2800 for a laptop is madness, but that's just me. I guess it depends on how much money you have... If you make $300k a year, price on items less than $5000 might not be a consideration anymore.

• NeelyCam

Considering how poorly PRIME1 is doing these days, I might be the top contender for the crown

• sweatshopking

You guys think [b<] I'M [/b<] the biggest troll on here. I'm not. It's my Homie Neely. He's the dope TR troll.

• potatochobit

You know, I spent 2800$ on my mac book pro with upgraded processor
    the first thing that came to my mind was not, “Steve is screwing me over on my discrete GPU for crying out loud!”

Selling at a loss to gain market share is not always what is best for consumers or the company. That is how progress and innovation is slowed down. You may think you know economics but you might want to think about it a little more. Any 6th grader can read a plot line, but probably none of them can predict the future.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]One last inquiry, do you own or have you ever owned an Apple product?[/quote<] No, but I'm about to. My 2-year contract with AT&T expires at the end of the month, and iPhone5 comes out this summer. I have used a Mac Mini (it was slow), and an old Macbook a while ago (I hated the one-button mouse). The rest of it is regurgitating comment threads - selectively, I might add, because Apple fans tend to be so defensive that they are easy trolling targets. But in reality I agree with everything you say in this post above (I didn't quite agree with your heartfelt defense of Steve Jobs).

• clone

doubtful, entirely doubtful but it would make products more expensive and that is what every consumer wants, corporations maximising profits at the consumers expense.

damn AMD for competing and offering better value, how dare they go against monopolistic practices thereby offering a benefit to consumers everywhere… bastards, we as consumers should revolt and offer to pay more, punish apple for keeping competition alive by buying from both companies… those bastards right along with AMD!!!! it’s a conspiracy I tell you, a damned CONSPIRACY!!!!

note the sarcasm.

p.s. I know ppl love to root for 1 company despite all the reasons they shouldn’t, but seriously be very careful what you wish for, the corporations in question care only for what’s in your wallet and how much they can get.

• clone

substitute loss for less.

Nvidia has always been greedy… that’s not a bad thing when they can do it and I don’t believe Nvidia is going to lose all that much over this but analysts love to be quoted so why not say the sky will fall at Nvidia if it gets them a headline or two?

• ermo

The original quote I was replying to was this:

[i<]"Apple doesn't play well with others. In spirit Apple is like a spoiled, 16 year-old brat. (...) sometimes it feels more egotistical than any kind of business-oriented strategy."[/i<] I originally drew a parallel between the above and mr. Jobs' widely reported narcissistic behaviour (which, based on credible sources, I assume to hold some truth), suggesting that the two might be linked. You asked why I would draw such a parallel and I duly provided a link to a Sunday Times article, which quoted a source [url=http://www.maccoby.com/MMaccoby/<]educated in the fields of management, anthropology and psychoanalysis[/url<]. In other words, I did not psychoanalyze anyone, a seemingly credible source quoted by a respected newspaper did. I see that you are ranting elsewhere, so please note that I'm not criticizing your carefully researched buying habits or choice of products satisfying your particular computing needs. Incidentally, I look forward to seeing more AMD products inside Apple's devices. Maybe one day I might be able to avoid paying both the 'Apple tax' AND the 'Intel Inside tax' on future 64-bit hackintosh builds with legally acquired copies of OS X installed.

• jstern

It kind of gave me a better sense of the guy. Smart, but kind of a childlike, everything for himself.

• jdaven

“Jobs is worth emulating, given that his behaviour towards his subordinates (as widely reported) is bordering on the infamous.”

This is my entire point. Everything you know about Steve Jobs is from other sources. There are sources that say he yells at people. There are sources that say he is a cult leader. But there are also sources that say he is the CEO of the year or CEO of the decade. Or the person of the year. Etc. Etc.

The return of Steve Jobs has been designated as the single most important reason how Apple pulled itself our of bankruptcy. As you point out, his thinking is given a lot of credit and it influences many others. I think credit should be given where credit is due. I don’t care if it goes to his head.

You say he is a narcissist. I say I don’t give a damn. I’ve owned PCs, Apples, built my own computers or bought them prebuilt since 1983. I like Apple’s most recent computers the most. So while I’m happy using my MBP, you can pontificate on whether or not Steve Jobs is a narcissist if it makes your life happier. While you are at it, please psychoanalyze Brittany Spears, Charlie Sheen, Glenn Beck, Bernie Madoff, Donald Trump, George Soros, George Bush, Ronald Reagan, Nancy Pelosi, …………………………………………………….etc, etc. I’m sure your conclusions will be most interesting but completely irrelevant to why Apple chose AMD video cards instead of Nvidia. 🙂

• jdaven

No NeelyCam you are not getting my point. What if I was to say that everything you own in your house could be found cheaper and from a company that is more ethical and doesn’t have a boss running it that is disagreeable.

Would you instantly say, “Thanks, Mark” and throw everything you own away based on my information or would you look into what I’m saying at first and not stop buying or throw anything away. I believe you would go for the latter.

And this is how many people go about purchasing items of significant cost. I carefully research all my expensive purchases and try to make the most informed decisions like many others. The only problem is you would say ANY research that concludes an Apple product to be the best choice is some kind of made up psychiatric phenomenon called RDF. Therefore, no matter what I do, I can’t buy an Apple product without you crapping out some schpell about admitting mistakes and making themselves feel better.

Basically, it makes you and anyone else an ass for having such unmitigated gall to call ALL Apple customers in error based on your way of looking at things. Well, guess what, I’m not throwing away everything in my house because you say you have something better. I buy what’s right for me and since I don’t make a lot of money, I take my purchases very seriously.

Unfortunately, this falls on PC-nerd deaf ears like yourself. But so far my research from places like Engadget gives apple products 9/10 and glowing reviews, Anand at Anandtech switched his whole personal computing experience to Apple products over 5 years ago and never looked back and from reading blog posts and etc. here at TR, almost all TR editors and staff use iPods, iPads, iPhones or Macbook Pros. So please in your infinite research powers, where are you getting all your information about how bad Apple products are other than these comment threads? Or are you just regurgitating crap thrown out to us by the media, comment threads or stupid PR campaigns?

One last inquiry, do you own or have you ever owned an Apple product? If yes, where you happy with it and if so, is this because of the RDF? If no, then how the f*ck do you know how good or bad Apple products are?

• potatochobit

no, AMD should play hard ball as well
    that will immediately put apple in their place, at least in the laptop market

• mutarasector

“4) The low prices by AMD may be as much about getting Apple comfortable using AMD as it is getting more business. With Apple goes the public, one MIGHT argue. Perhaps AMD thinks they can get people used to seeing AMD and Apple in the same breath.”

I would agree with Apple getting used to AMD. It stands to reason AMD will have to spend some effort to establish and further develop their repoire, however I don’t see them benefiting much from Apple in the way of them supplying Radeons. It’s more than likely Apple/Jobs will continue to ‘suck the air’ greatly diminishing any halo effect for AMD pretty much as they did to NVidia. After all, how many Apple products do you see with NVidia stickers on them like Wintel notebooks?

“Certainly, I’d argue that Fusion as it is presented sounds more like an Apple mindset than the CPU-focus of Sandy Bridge. Even the poorer performance of Llano would be a great fit for Apple, imo, due to the superior GPU performance and the “good enough” performance of the CPU with regards to the lower end (ie., Mac Mini, iMac, Macbook Air). Throw in a Bulldozer-based chip for next year’s refresh(es?) and that’d make a lot of sense. Plus, imagine Bobcat running a Mac Mini instead…”

More than likely, if Apple were to move to lower TDP Fusion APUs, they would probably wait until the Deccan chipset (Krishna/Wichita), rather than Zacate/Ontario – especially since Deccan’s arrival should be just about the right time for Apple’s next refresh. Remember, part of AMDs strategy with Fusion APUs is to have an ability to do custom order SKUs being able to mix and match GPU/CPU core ratios on a customer need/use case basis. Right now, Bobcat just isn’t mature enough to do this, BUT Krishna/Wichita might be how AMD could do just that, and this would dovetail nicely with Apple’s design initiatives.

Imagine an Apple branded television with the equivalent of a low TDP Fusion APU powered Mac mini/AppleTV hybrid device built into it…

• NeelyCam

Don’t feed the appleroids.

• ermo

[i<]"What information specifically has led you to this conclusion"[/i<] I happen to be interested in leadership and good management. As the leader (icon?) of a very successful company, Mr. Jobs (like a certain Mr. Gates) has been the subject of extensive commentary, among which this article is but one: [url=http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6797859.ece<]Steve Jobs: The man who polished Apple[/url<] [i<]"Also, what other personality in the news whether it be a politician, celebrity, executive, etc. would you consider to not be a narcissist?"[/i<] That question almost answers itself, doesn't it? [i<]"Lastly, what does it matter what any of us think about a man that we have never met and will never meet?"[/i<] Just because you have never met the leader of your country and will probably never meet him/her, doesn't mean that what you think of said leader doesn't matter, does it? Apple is a leader in the sense that a single company is essentially educating an entire generation (at least in the affluent parts of the western hemisphere) on industrial design, touch interfaces and the importance of consumer perception of the entire HCI experience. Tablets are just the latest example of this leadership. It is a basic tenet of human psychology that people emulate their leaders and heroes to a certain degree and I was indirectly posing the question whether mr. Jobs is worth emulating, given that his behaviour towards his subordinates (as widely reported) is bordering on the infamous. In this particular case, another poster was making a remark about how Apple behaves as a corporate entity. I was suggesting that there's a parallel with how, as the leader of Apple, mr. Jobs behaves and how Apple as a corporate entity behaves under his leadership. So in the context of this particular exchange of ideas, I find it relevant. And no, I do not own any Apple products nor shares and I only care because, as I outlined above, Apple is the premiere and most widely known driver of disruptive (computing) technology in the consumer space these days.

• Corrado

Going on smartphone marketshare by manufacturer, Apple is tied for #1 in the US with RIM with 27% of the market, and we know RIM won’t be growing anytime soon.

[url<]http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/visualized-us-smartphone-market-share-by-manufacturer-and-plat/[/url<]

• NeelyCam

Yeah – that’s particularly funny because Steve Jobs himself had no business to get into cell phones himself… Motorola/Nokia/Ericsson weren’t happy about that.

Now, a couple years later, SJ thinks he [i<]owns[/i<] the business.

• jstern

From what I know of Steve, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was simply because he hates Tegra 2 tablets. I remember him getting really angry because Google decided to get in the smart phone business. Like how dare they.

Why the rant..?

Why the rant..?
    [quote<]As far as I'm concerned, I love Apple products and will continue to buy them.[/quote<] Oh, nevermind... My favorite: [quote<]They have been very successful lately and no matter how much many of you say Sheeple, Apple reality distortion field, etc., customers will simply not buy a product that does not work for THEIR needs on the level of the sheer magnitude of Apple sales.[/quote<] That's [i<]exactly[/i<] what RDF does to you - it makes you believe that the product is worth the extra price. Note also that it's human nature to defend one's own purchases, so one wouldn't feel like (s)he made a mistake. Admitting a mistake would affect one's confidence and self worth.

• Corrado

What do you mean? Apple no longer compares its machines against PCs. They compare them against their existing machines for the most part. ‘30% faster than previous gen’, etc. If the AMD powered machine is faster, they’ll say its faster. And trust me, they wouldn’t release something that wasn’t faster.

And besides, ‘the unwashed masses’ likely couldn’t tell you the difference in a blind user test between a Sandy Bridge and Phenom II x2 machine side by side if you gave them a desktop and said ‘here play with it’. The cheapest ‘mainstream’ CPU is more than fast enough for the vast majority of users. Why do you think people are buying MacBook airs and saying that its FASTER than some of their other machines with much faster CPUs? Its not really, but its more responsive due to the SSD and the CPU makes little or no difference in their daily workload anymore. Hell the CPUs in the new airs aren’t really any faster than the ones in the 3 or 4 year old airs. But the rest of the machine is faster, including the video and the storage subsystems. Now, since the AMD stuff has a better graphics processor, and storage subsystem is largely relegated to 3rd parties beyond the control of AMD or Intel, switching CPU vendors should really not make any noticeable difference to most users.

• jdaven

What information specifically has led you to this conclusion? Also, what other personality in the news whether it be a politician, celebrity, executive, etc. would you consider to not be a narcissist? Lastly, what does it matter what any of us think about a man that we have never met and will never meet?

• Corrado

You forget that a lot of these companies have execs from the East. Lots to do with honor and what not. These are still PEOPLE running these corporations, regardless of of the corporation itself has feelings, the people making the decisions certainly do.

• jdaven

“But when it comes to a company that I have preconceived notions about based on reading websites from my armchair at home…”

There I fixed that for you, NeelyCam. Unless you have inside knowledge about a certain company, it is safe to say that all of our information is arrived at through the great mixer that is our media today. From where I’m standing, there is absolutely NO difference between Apple and any other IT company. None whatsoever. To say Apple is not driven by the factors you describe is to completely neglect the profits, revenue and popularity of Apple products. They have been very successful lately and no matter how much many of you say Sheeple, Apple reality distortion field, etc., customers will simply not buy a product that does not work for THEIR needs on the level of the sheer magnitude of Apple sales.

I mean last time I check, Apple uses factories in China to assemble their products. They use components from well developed sources like Intel. They are a corporation called Apple Incorporated. Only the ever changing views and opinions from the media have shaped our view points of the company as a whole and personalities of that companies employees and executives.

If you never read another editorial, comment thread or other media puffy piece, all you would know is that Apple has exceeded quarter after quarter in profits and revenue. Their market share in various markets is increasing year after year. And there is no indication that they are not going to stop bringing products to the market based on a variety of factors decided based on cold hard facts, risk analyses, logic, etc.

But hey, you are an individual entitled to your own opinion and I respect it and anyone else’s. As far as I’m concerned, I love Apple products and will continue to buy them.

• NeelyCam

Bobcat’s main point is price. SB can reach same idle power consumption levels, “thinness” etc., while having significantly better CPU performance, performance per watt etc. There is no reason for Apple to go with Bobcat for Macbook Air.

I mean, selling a Macbook Air with a [u<][i<]netbook chip[/i<][/u<] would be beyond embarrasing to Shogun Steve.

• NeelyCam

You know, I always like to think that companies don’t have ‘feelings’, and that decisions are made based on cold hard facts, risk analyses, logic etc. with profit being the pure driver behind it all. Because of that, I generally don’t believe companies have grudges and vendettas against others.

But, when it comes to Apple and Steve Jobs…

• ermo

Assuming that the whole ‘Fusion-powered’ Mac thing happens, It will be interesting to see which kind of magic fairy-pixie-dust awesomeness McMarketing will try to foil on the unwashed masses.

• ermo

Given that mr. Jobs comes off as a prime example of what psychiatrists call a ‘functional narcissist’, that characterization might not be as far-fetched as one would think at first glance.

• crsh1976

It’s certainly wouldn’t be the first time, but I recall the self-destructing Geforce 8600M fiasco a few years ago, it wasn’t only on Apple laptops either.

• HisDivineShadow

1) nVidia is basically a competitor to Apple in designing SOC for a lot of the companies Apple must face in the Android/iPhone and upcoming tablet wars.

2) nVidia is cocky and was dropped by Microsoft with regards to the Xbox for the same reason. They tend not to lower prices just because someone else shows up cheaper. At least, traditionally.

3) AMD chips may be cooler running and, being cheaper, there’s no good reason not to use them.

4) The low prices by AMD may be as much about getting Apple comfortable using AMD as it is getting more business. With Apple goes the public, one MIGHT argue. Perhaps AMD thinks they can get people used to seeing AMD and Apple in the same breath. Certainly, I’d argue that Fusion as it is presented sounds more like an Apple mindset than the CPU-focus of Sandy Bridge. Even the poorer performance of Llano would be a great fit for Apple, imo, due to the superior GPU performance and the “good enough” performance of the CPU with regards to the lower end (ie., Mac Mini, iMac, Macbook Air). Throw in a Bulldozer-based chip for next year’s refresh(es?) and that’d make a lot of sense. Plus, imagine Bobcat running a Mac Mini instead…

Especially if their use of AMD GPU’s this year was a test to see if AMD is different from the ATI that Apple banished from their sight years ago for daring to out Apple news years ago. Pretty sure that turned Steve Jobs against ATI and kept them locked out of the integrated GPU game with Apple ever after.

Until this, of course. In the past, Apple didn’t think AMD could keep up with demand and Intel threw discounts the likes of which even Apple could not ignore. By next year when Bulldozer’ll have been out for a long while, I think the stars might actually align in a way for them to consider the transition. Multicore will be an important part of every product line, GPU’s will be an important part of every product line, and I think Fusion will be the best at both of these by a fair degree at the Bulldozer and Bobcat levels. Llano-level performance would probably be well suited for the lower end Macbook, Macbook Air levels. And a much smaller, longer life Bobcat-based Macbook Air might be able to reach thinness previously unheard of. With un-netbook-like performance by then with updates.

Yeah, I think nVidia’s days with Apple were always numbered. Especially when Tegra2 became the Android darling. Hope nVidia’s focus on ARM and SOC’s doesn’t backfire on them. I have my doubts about ARM and SOC’s ever being their bread ‘n butter.

• NeelyCam

Llano CPU is weaker than SB CPU, so I wouldn’t call it the “[b<]best[/b<] of both worlds". But I think the GPU will make a compelling-enough argument.. if Llano power consumption is low enough. (And no - those AMD demos comparing SB and AMD are not reliable to make that determination)

• NeelyCam

AMD’s loss = Apple’s gain.

And this is how competition works. It’s NVidia’s own fault that they bumbgated their Apple business.

• NeelyCam

Then buy PCs – you can have your Matlab back.

• raddude9

serves you right for using a proprietary technology like CUDA and not something more open.
    That said CUDA is a wonderful tool…… for making Nvidia money.

• OneArmedScissor

Tell Apple, not me. That’s not what they want.

• Corrado

People buying a MacBook and a Mac Mini don’t care. They’re buying the cheapest Mac they can. If Apple can get cheaper prices on the CPU/Chipset/Graphics, and the retail price wouldn’t move, Apple would make MORE money.

• cygnus1

Apple doesn’t care about CUDA. They’re focused on OpenCL.

• Jahooba

I figured it had something to do with Android, too. Apple doesn’t play well with others. In spirit Apple is like a spoiled, 16 year-old brat. They have the right to be, considering how powerful they are in the industry, but sometimes it feels more egotistical than any kind of business-oriented strategy.

• sweatshopking

llano is going to be huge for this stuff. I’m not sure why apple would want anything else. The gpgpu can work fine on ati, not as easily, but apple does their own stuff anyway, so it doesn’t matter. Llano will be the best of both worlds.

• marvelous

I can’t say I blame apple. Nvidia had GPU problems associated with notebook GPU last year.

• thesmileman

And now I can’t buy macs for a number of my employees because we can’t develop and test our CUDA code on the road. And also Yes! back to slow non GPU accelerated Matlab.

• OneArmedScissor

Actually, that will probably make them even more prolific within a very short period of time. Tegra is doing well and their “high end” ARM CPU will be riding that wave once Windows 8 shows up.

• PRIME1

—–By contrast, it says AMD “has offered a good quote and is showing a corporative [sic] attitude.”

Translation: Out of desperation AMD is willing to sell at a loss.

Not to mention that Tegra is the default platform for Android now, putting it in direct competition with Apple.

• OneArmedScissor

Apple wants big name brands and big price tags. Note that they do not offer Intel’s own Pentium or Celeron badged CPUs, which are actually the big sellers.

• khands

Nah, Llano is too close, PII’s are effectively obsolete.

• blorbic5

Combine that with the more capable integrated grahics and they might not be in any laptops soon.

• Corrado

If AMD was smart, they’d offer Apple chips at a good price to get them to use them in some of their lower end offerings. MacBook and Mac Mini with an PII X2 would be great, and save Apple money on chipsets, while getting them better performance.

Share this post with your friends!