Completed Firefox 4 to be released March 22

By now, you probably already know that Internet Explorer 9 beat Firefox 4 to the finish line. Microsoft released the latest version of its browser with great fanfare two days ago. The Mozilla folks aren’t far behind, though. A posting in the mozilla.dev.planning mailing list reveals that they’re aiming to roll out the full version of Firefox 4 on March 22.

Here are the dirty details, courtesy of Mozilla’s Senior Director of Platform Engineering, Damon Sicore:

Today’s triage session concluded with all systems go for a Firefox 4 launch on March 22nd. We will continue to have triage sessions on a daily basis to watch for major issues; however, at this point, we’ve concluded RC1 will become Firefox 4 final.
Fantastic job by everyone involved in this release. Amazing work!

In other words, there’s a strong possibility that if you grabbed the first release candidate when it came out last week, you’ve already got the full version of Firefox 4. Congratulations, you’re living in the future!

• potatochobit

“who was first” “doesn’t stand a chance” all this race talk is ridiculous
    people who use firefox are not using it because it is faster than internet explorer
    it is because they don’t trust internet explorer
    people will look at both browsers anyway
    granted, the longer firefox takes the less of a foothold they will have
    they should have promoted the RC more, it’s fine so far

• indeego

Attempted Haiku
      Apparently failed you hard
      Japan weeps softly

• hexr

Sorry, but i couldnt disagree more with your conclusion. people dont trust internet explorer? people dont use firefox because it is faster? while internet explorer has improved its speed dramatically over the years, speed is one very big reason why people switch to Firefox (and chrome, and opera, etc.). And, while some people ‘dont trust internet explorer’, i expect that ease of use and speed are much more often the reason for the switch. they were for me.

That having been said, i agree that who releases first is a bit of a silly metric…

• indeego

I just had to rebuild my profile. It carried me through all the betas, but the current RC Firefox crashed numerous times on sites with uh, many images and toggling full screen mode/windowed mode. For science I will help mankind.

• Firestarter

Sites with many images you say? I thought we all switched to the free streaming video kind of sites..

• indeego

I guess I’m old-school and like quality over blockiness and scripting malware. Especially with a flash exploit 0-day in the wild.

• Skrying

There’s still a few usability problems I have with Firefox 4.

1. Still no “speed dial” like feature on blank pages. Opera introduced this to my knowledge and Chrome has the superior implementation, Firefox doesn’t have it at all and the extensions that add the feature are not good. The most popular one introduces significant slow down and several user comments mention a potential memory leak, not not to mention its just ugly.

2. Chrome and Firefox both search your history from the URL bar, but Chrome places the first result in the URL bar, so as soon as I type “te” i can hit enter and be taken to techreport.com. In Firefox the first result is shown below the URL bar, requiring you to either hit the down arrow then enter or click the result. It’s slower on a feature that’s designed to make browsing faster. Plus it’s just highly annoying.

3. In Chrome when you have multiple tabs open and close one tab the rest maintain size until you move the cursor away from the tab bar. This means each time you close a tab, the next in line tab aligns into exactly the same spot as the previous. Making it easier and quicker to close multiple tabs. Firefox on the other hand instantly resizes tabs as soon as one is closed, making you have to move your cursor to close the next tab. I believe this was first introduced in Safari then in Chrome. Either way, all browsers should have this behavior.

I have noticed Flash seems significantly more stable using Firefox than Chrome. Firefox 4 also seems to handle a Flash crash far better than Chrome. This alone may be enough for me to switch back to Firefox.

• ew

For #2 you can cycle through the choices with the tab key.

• Firestarter

for #2, Firefox searches through your history and suggest the best match for a [i<]page[/i<], while Chrome does so for a [i<]domain[/i<]. I prefer Firefox' solution, but I make do with Chrome because of its speeds. Maybe FF4 final is fast enough for me to switch back.

• Skrying

That still doesn’t change the behavior I’m talking about.

• indeego

#1 Really dislike speed dial implementations on all the browsers I’ve tried them on. Anything that I would want to speeddial I’d rather just already have loaded in a tabset.

#2 Some issues for me. I often find the autocomplete is a url that isn’t desired and the habit of arrowing to the proper selection is a good one to keep rather than depending on google’s interpretation. I’ve also been burned on the CLI and RDP address completion by autocompletes, so I’m fairly cautious and I see Firefox’s behavior as a “safeguard”

#3 My advice for almost all power users: Learn the KB shortcuts for your browser, it’s far faster than any mouse/tab/gesture manipulations.

On a google search, Instant is a few steps forward but one very huge step backwards: I lost my backspace functionality to go back a page before the search page. Now it defaults to the input box. This is very grating and on installations where I don’t control the scripting or behavior I am sitting there hitting backspace to no avail.

You might look into an extension for controlling flash loading to what/when you need. Flash in general is a mess. It really does need to die, it’s among the few things I agree with apple on. Browsing without Flash at all is refreshing and I don’t miss it much, and at some point I’ll just never use it after html5 penetration ramps up.

• Skrying

1. The speed dial in Chrome (and I believe Opera) places your most visited sites by default. I find that handy. I would just like Firefox to have a quality implementation in some form at the least.

2. Chrome will start to associate what you enter with what you select. Start hitting “te” often enough and it’ll never select the wrong one. Firefox and Chrome both work well enough for me. I tend to visit the same sites frequently, so it fits my usage. In addition Firefox doesn’t “protect” you from anything. You’ll simply memorize the “Ctrl+L+Down+Enter” combination if you’re me. That simply takes longer for no gain.

3. Closing with the hotkey only works if you’re confident in the browser focusing to the next tab. Which it likely won’t, which defeats the purpose for using a hotkey to close multiple tabs. Even then, there’s no reason why the Chrome behavior shouldn’t be implemented. The Firefox behavior is inferior no matter how you close your tabs.

Also, Flash will crash far more often on content I want to see than I don’t. Take Ustream. I watch two channels on the site frequently. Sadly they have a fairly buggy player. In Chrome it crashes all the time, Firefox hasn’t experienced it yet. Blocking Flash content won’t get me anywhere on my problem. I’m all for HTML5 implementations being put into place, but for now Flash plays a major role in my browsing.

• indeego

1. My most frequent sites are not sites I wish to start my browser with. I visit reddit and about 20 subreddits for example, but I simply don’t want that as a starting point. It’s more my “I’m bored/lazy, what’s going on now” fallback sites. Computers are still too dumb to be able to discern what I want when I want it. Getting better though…

2. techreport
          techdirt
          techcrunch

any one of those (or another site where I typed “teh” previously I might be interested at any particular time, there is no way for Google to determine this for me based on typing “te.” If I want a frequent site I hit a shortcut key combo.

I feel Firefox does protect you because just typing a term doesn’t default to any particular site. It is the defaulting that in my mind is both a waste and a possible wrong result.

3. Closing multiple tabs is frikking easy with KB compared to mouse (thumb on control and other fingers/hand managing tab/w/t/n/r/1/2/3/etc , and I rarely have more than 20 tabs, far more often 5-10. Any more and the logistics of managing tabs is more burdemsome than is practical. I know people that have many many hundreds of tabs and focus on session management and pull it off, but my mind doesn’t work that way. I need to complete a tab task (get the content) and then move on to focus on another task. History is there if I need it.

• Skrying

1. It doesn’t matter if you’d use the feature or not. Many would and Firefox lacks in both a bundled one or quality third party option. Doesn’t matter to you, I get it. Matters to me.

2. Right, you get multiple sites because you get multiple results. If the default isn’t the one you wanted you would need to click down on either, but if the default is the one you wanted you save time and less pushing of buttons. Your only argument is this weird notion of “protection.” Against what? What’s the consequence of their being a default? If it’s not the result you wanted then just scroll to the one you want.

3. First, none of that even matters. You’re describing you’re preference, not why FIrefox’s instant resizing is superior to Chrome’s maintaining size. You’ve done this three times now. You’ve yet to actually argue why Firefox’s solution is superior, instead you’re just offering workarounds.

• indeego

You: [quote<]"There's still a few usability problems I have with Firefox 4."[/quote<] me; paraphrased: [i<]"Here is why these aren't usability problems I have with Firefox 4."[/i<]

• ShadowTiger

You can disable google instant… i deleted my cookies and its still gone… dunno how its saved lol

I also dislike speed dial, i always disable it (in opera)

• ShadowTiger

Opera also has the address bar history search, but it auto-completes with the most recently accessed site. Do any browsers put the site that you have visited the most number of times at the top of the list?

• Skrying

I “tested” in quickly now. Using TR as an example if I visit “techcrunch.com” then close that tab and open a new one and start typing “t” then “e”, etc I get “techreport.com” as the first result and then “techcrunch.com.” Does this in both Firefox 4 and the latest Chrome.

• Silus

Heh, March 22nd seems to be the date for releases!

Crysis 2
    GTX 590
    Firefox 4

• jackaroon

Define “finish line” – unless it’s “release a web browser that requires special instructions on whether getElementById should get an element by id” I’m pretty sure that firefox still has a chance.

• DancinJack

I’m using RC1. I haven’t found anywhere where it says it’s RC1 though. The upgrade from b12 was pretty seamless and easy though. Small notification in the taskbar and go! RC1, err FF4 final works very well for me. Don’t think it has crashed once in the 3-4 weeks I’ve been using it.

• Helmore

How can you have been using the RC1 release for 3-4 weeks when it was released last week? I’m either missing something here, or you meant to say something slightly different :P.

Me on the other hand, I haven’t used Firefox since Google Chrome’s launch. I have tried the FF4 beta a little, but I prefer the even more simplistic UI of Chrome.

• DancinJack

I just meant since i’ve been using FF4. Since Chrome came out I had been using that. Just switched to FF4 about a month ago.

• kvndoom

That’s what is funny… the simplistic UI of Chrome is the thing I hate most of all! Different strokes. 🙂

• jstern

You have to click the orange Firefox thing on the top left, then next to ‘Help’ there’s a little arrow, click it, and then click ‘About Firefox’.

• bthylafh

FF4 RC1 just says it’s FF4. That’s what he’s saying.

This was by design, I’m sure.

• DancinJack

This IS what I was saying.