Portal 2 TV spot hits YouTube

Valve is pulling out the big portal guns to tease the sequel to its infectiously fun puzzle-action game. An "upcoming TV spot trailer" for Portal 2 has made its way onto YouTube, giving viewers a glimpse of the gameplay and the two characters that will be featured in the game’s co-operative multiplayer component.

Portal 2 is still on track to arrive in just over a month, on April 19. Valve is offering a 10% discount on Steam if you pre-order the game now. Out of all the big PC blockbusters heading our way this year, Portal 2 might be the one I’m most looking forward to. (Thanks to CrunchGear for the tip.)

• Disco

I love Valve. I trust their ability to make great games. But I am wary of this one. The reason why everyone (including myself) loved the first portal was because it was such a surprise. The fact that [spoiler<] before starting the game, no one knew that GladOS was a completely nutjob computer and had actually killed off the many employees of Apature Science, made the ensuing story and the slow reveal of her psychosis very compelling [/spoiler<]. Expectations were low. Now that expectations of plot twists etc. are sky high, I don't see how Valve can make this next one as exciting/interesting/memorable. Also, I'm more of a solo game player. I don't have a lot of friends who game, and with a youngish family, I have little time for 'game nights' where you can plan on playing coop with friends. So the coop isn't very interesting for me. I guess what I will be looking most forward to are any further references to the Half Life universe, and the competition between Black Mesa and Apature Labs. However, if anyone can do it. Valve can. The reveal videos indicate that if nothing else, the Source engine has been massively updated since the orange box... even more so than seen in L4D2?

• NeronetFi

I think I payed $30 maybe $40 for the orange box, that was worth it b/c it had 5 games that I still play a lot to this day.

• idgarad

“I’d fuck Glados…. I don’t know how… but you know… she’s just crazy enough that it would be better then good. Crazy bitches rock the headboard… ” 4chan post.

So does that make these two her…. gimps?

• DrDillyBar

the Blue one is totally PC.

• internetsandman

Glados is a freaky b*tch…

• sweatshopking

I’ll wait until it’s 4.99. I don’t buy ANY game that’s more than 20$. wife would take my nuts. However, she did just spend hundreds of dollars on furniture, and I wanted a nook color (to root), but do you think I get to take her anatomy? Nope.

• highlandr

Women with their internal reproductive organs! It starts there, and the double standards never end…

• indeego

> but do you think I get to take her anatomy?

That sounds like a quitter attitude to me. I won’t have that. Reach for the ovum, little one, you can do it!

• sweatshopking

lol I <3 you

• leor

How did you get and finish dragon age 2 then?

• sweatshopking

…. AR…?

• Sargent Duck

I don’t mind buying a game for $49 if it’s WORTH it. After all, developers and graphic artists have to eat too!

• VILLAIN_xx

Its worth it if its 49x longer than the first one. 🙁

• l33t-g4m3r

Agreed. I only buy games at that price when it’s from a company I trust, like id, and if I think it’s actually worth the money.

• TheBob!

When my wife and I got together over 5 years ago she was a new roommate at the time. She looked at my PCs and was like “WOW the only thing I know about computers is that I break them.” Since then I built her one and I got the Orangebox. She would watch me play Team Fortress 2. She asked to play and she of course got destroyed. So later that week I got her Portal and made her a Steam account. It was awesome because she could walk around and figure out the controls without danger of someone shooting her, but it was still engaging and challenging. Now she helps run a TF2 clan with 6 servers and 40 or so admins. She branches out into other games and has a blast with me rather than being annoyed that I am on the computer.

TLDR: Basically Portal is what got her into games and we are totally looking forward to playing Portal 2 together.

• Incubus

good for you

• indeego

$35.99 on 06/11
    $24.99 on 08/11
    $19.99 on 09/11
    $14.99 on 11/11
    $9.99 on 12/11
    $4.99 in Q2/12

• ew

I think that is accurate. I’m torn between taking a day off work when this comes out and waiting until it’s $9.99. It’s the me who loves Portal vs. the me who likes to pinch pennies.

• TheBob!

lol I just dropped $90 on preordering it for my wife and I.

• Meadows

The correct grammar is “for me and my wife”.

• eitje

[quote<]The correct grammar is "for me and my wife".[/quote<] I thought it would be "for my wife and me"?

• Meadows

Only depends on your priorities.

• BoBzeBuilder

FUN FUN FUN I should grab my gun. But which gun should I taaaaaeekeee???

• Meadows

We so excited. We gonna cake.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m so excited to get this game.

• yogibbear

VALVE. VALVE. VALVE. Duke who?