Eee Pad Transformer to debut in Taiwan this week

Asus’ first real iPad rival is just days from release—in Asus’ home country of Taiwan, at least. Netbooknews quotes an Asus press release in Chinese that teases a March 25 debut for the Eee Pad Transformer, the $399 Android slate with a detachable keyboard that was originally unveiled in January.

Judging by the press release, the tablet’s key specifications haven’t changed. We’re still looking at an Nvidia Tegra 2 system-on-a-chip, a 10.1" capacitive touch-screen with an IPS panel, and Google’s Android 3.0 operating system. The device features 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and mini HDMI connectivity as well as a micro-SD card reader. Netbooknews also mentions 1GB of DDR2 RAM and 16-32GB of storage capacity.

Of course, the Eee Pad Transformer’s biggest selling point might be its keyboard dock, which is supposed to increase battery life to 16 hours, according to the Asus presentation we saw in January. (As an added bonus, you don’t have to deal with the awkwardness of typing on a big, flat pane of glass with no tactile feedback.)

$399 for a Tegra 2-powered Android 3.0 slate sounds like an awfully good deal no matter how you cut it. Here’s hoping the U.S. release isn’t far off.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’ll wait for it to actually be available in 6-12 months and buy it if I got a spare 400.

This is an amazing looking device and I flippin want it. I agree with other statements that it is looking a little dated with tegra 2 being that its a hardware platform that debuted over a year ago. I hope to buy this and then the successor. 😛 assuming it supports the android market I’m all in.

• Rakhmaninov3

I’ve thought this looked really cool since the first pics of it came out months ago, but I never imagined it would be $400 — I looked at it and thought probably 6 or 7 bills.

Go Asus.

• Sanctusx2

While the keyboard dock is nice, I think the device’s best selling point is actually the price! $400 is sitting at the upper end of a range I’d begin seriously considering to jump on the tablet train. Motorola really went the wrong direction trying to outdo Apple on pricing power. I may not think much of Apple’s monopolistic business practices, but I don’t think anyone can argue how unmatched they are when it comes to the value their brand instills.

• Duck

Tegra 2 is already starting to look dated. Better wait for the hardware refresh.

• NeelyCam

Nothing’s ever good enough for you, eh?

• sweatshopking

that’s what she said!!

• dpaus

I’m actually more interested in their $999 Windows 7 -powered EP121 Slate.

• ImSpartacus

If you ask me, this is a lot cooler than the XOOM.

No, you don’t get a barometer, but you get a better price tag and the potential for an awesome keyboard/battery. Not to mention an IPS screen for epic viewing angles!

• NeelyCam

Megan Fox is pretty hot, but in all the interviews she sounds a bit dumb.

FP

• sweatshopking

THIS POST IS ON POINT!

• SonicSilicon

That’s only because it’s the intersection with a tangent line of thought.

• sweatshopking

I was actually just joking, and i have no idea what he’s talking about.

• SonicSilicon

It was geometry related pun, apparently delivered too deadpan.