Prey 2 to feature new character, gameplay mechanics

Last week, we found out that Prey 2 is in development at Human Head Studios. Details are now starting to trickle about exactly what we can expect from the sci-fi shooter sequel. According to Joystiq, Prey 2 may not have too much in common with the original.

The site quotes the latest issue of Game Reactor, which reportedly reveals that Prey 2‘s main character will be a "sheriff and prison guard" named Killian Samuels, not the Native American Talon Brave from the first game. Also, Prey 2 will allegedly have Samuels doing some parkour in "chase scenes," and a gameplay mechanic called "shadow-sneaking" will be featured. (Hello stealth missions?)

Maybe it’s the Mirror’s Edge fanboy in me, but I’ll enjoy seeing another first-person title take a crack at the whole parkour thing. I am a little surprised to hear that Human Head will be switching main characters and gameplay mechanics, especially considering it created the first game. Perhaps the studio is simply exercising greater creative freedom this time around. The original was, after all, the brainchild of 3D Realms.

• d0g_p00p

I seem to be the only one here who enjoyed Prey. I thought it had some really neat ideas. I think if it would have came out a year earlier it would have gotten a better reception. Anyhoo I am looking forward to this sequel.

• bthylafh

“parkour”

I learned a new word today!

• thesmileman

was the rock you were under heavy? 🙂

• khands

I’ve been following parkour since it was under it’s old name.

• thesmileman

[quote<]but I'll enjoy seeing another first-person title take a crack at the whole parkour thing.[/quote<] The bucket of vomit at my feet should indicate I feel differently.

• sweatshopking

you should probably dump that out.

• south side sammy

They obviously didn’t want to show us anything. It’s a sure bet the game sucks.

• Jahooba

They’re using (I hear), a new engine from id, so they may be contractually bound not to release screenshots or gameplay until (insert contractual variable here).

I remember something similar happened with the Source engine. I think it was Masquerade: Bloodlines; they had to wait until HL2 was released. Not the best of examples, I suppose, but definitely in the same ballpark.

• Meadows

Prey 2 might as well be called virtually anything, if they remove everything that made Prey what it was. I don’t get it why they stick to the name at all. Especially considering it wasn’t even that good, really.

Edit:
    [quote<]I am a little surprising[/quote<] Yes Cyril, sometimes. At other times, you're very surprising. But there's one thing we can always count on, and that's your typing. 🙂 Also, FSTIR TSPO. (I'm running out of letter combinations here.)

You could try other languages?

As for Prey, I didn’t know it had ‘brand recognition’ to build upon.

• sweatshopking

Since when did you mark first post? I’ll vote you up for your excellent posting skills, babe!