Futuremark: PCMark 7 is coming soon

Breaking news in the benchmarking world. Futuremark has announced the incoming release of PCMark 7, the next major version of its popular PC benchmarking suite, revealing a few details along the way.

According to the Finnish benchmark developer turned game studio, PCMark 7 is designed for Windows 7 and includes seven separate tests. (Rumors about the software including a copy of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and coupons for seven 7-Eleven Big Gulps are unconfirmed.) The benchmark will, however, break up those seven tests into 20 different workloads covering "storage, computation, image and video manipulation, web browsing and gaming." Here’s a rundown in Futuremark’s words:

• The PCMark Suite measures overall system performance and returns an official PCMark score.
  • The Lightweight Suite measures the capabilities of entry level systems unable to run the full PCMark suite.
  • The Entertainment Suite measures system performance in entertainment, media and gaming scenarios.
  • The Creativity Suite measures performance in typical creativity scenarios involving images and video.
  • The Productivity suite measures system performance scenarios using the Internet and office applications.
  • The Computation Suite contains workloads that isolate the computation performance of the system.
  • The Storage Suite contains workloads that isolate the performance of the PC’s storage system.

Some of the gaming tests will apparently require a DirectX 11 graphics card, although you’ll only need a DX9 GPUs to obtain a PCMark 7 score.

Futuremark hasn’t announced a release date or pricing for PCMark 7. For what it’s worth, the current version, PCMark Vantage, is available both for free and in several paid editions with extra features. We’ll keep you posted once more details come our way.

• crabjokeman

Hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to work you go (posting synthetic bar graphs).

• michael_d

Good news for compulsive and narcissistic benchmark gurus.

• maxxcool

*snore*

• d0g_p00p

I think people are failing to see who this is targeted for. This software and the other types like it are for the overclocking crowd and people who are trying to tweak their systems for optimum performance. It’s a specialized software package for a certain segment of PC users. Same as Photoshop and high end 3D CAD software packages. I have never loaded or needed those types of software packages because I am not in the segment of users who need that software. Same as this.

• charles_chang

anyone else remember looping 3dmark2001se for 24 hours straight to stability test a build/overclock?

• thesmileman

Person A: My new is awesom I got a 89,349 in PC mark 7!

Person B: Holy crap! You can launch word in 0.23 seconds. My machine is sooo slow it takes at least 0.89 seconds! Man I need an upgrade.

• kyboshed

It would be nice to see some of the benchmarking suites work on multiple platforms so that we could really compare win/lin/mac (and maybe even android/ios)

[url=http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/<]Geekbench[/url<] already does this to an extent, but it's relatively basic.

• TaBoVilla

I stopped caring for these benchmarks long ago. Systems became good enough for everyday use years ago, and when in need for indicatives of higher platform performance, everyone usually resorts to specialized benchmarks, media encoding, rendering and such.

• sweatshopking

I never run them either. As long as it can play games, on some level, who cares?

• Vasilyfav

My benchmark is the task at hand. I can either do it fast enough on my current system, or I cannot, in which case I’m going to start planning for an upgrade.

Never really saw much point in generic benchmarks, just like you said. It’s kind of like the useless win7 “experience” index.

• Farting Bob

Its good to have standardised benchmarks when looking at reviews of new hardware, since all sites test a bit differently so having a test that you can look at from many sites you can see roughly how it performs compared to its rivals.