Trailer reveals Deus Ex prequel gameplay

The original Deus Ex will probably go down as one of the greatest PC games of all time. Unfortunately, its Invisible War sequel wasn’t nearly as well received. The sequel’s shortcomings have caused many to worry about the next title in the Deus Ex franchise: Human Revolution. This third chapter, which will serve as a prequel to the first game, is the first effort from a new Eidos studio located in Montreal. The studio released a gameplay trailer yesterday, and I have to admit that it has me intrigued.

The trailer is meant to show off “multi-path, multi-solution gameplay” built on four pillars: combat, stealth, hacking, and social. Only the first two are showcased in the trailer, which approaches an early level of the game using three different strategies.

After being led through what felt like an on-rails single-player campaign in Call of Duty: Black Ops, Human Revolution looks like a refreshing change of pace, especially if those other pillars are well-implemented. I love a heavily scripted thrill ride as much as the next guy, but it’s getting a little old. Thanks to Joystiq for the tip.

• Kaleid

It could be worse.

Dirk Ex 3
    [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp6TOsw3XIE[/url<] I don't think it will match the original in any way with the exception of graphics as everything is mainstreamed today but at least I'll enjoy it more than Script of Duty, which is completely linear and far more scripted. The level demonstrated in the clip is clearly somewhere in the beginning so that the players learns the basics... chances of improving I'd say are high quite high, but please for the love of god let players turn down all of those tips. Some of do have a thing called memory, we do know after a while which buttons we need to push so need to remind us all the time. Should non lethal take-down be a bit more..quiet and discreet? And yeah, third person sneaking is cheating and non-immersive.

• tanker27

[quote<]I love a heavily scripted thrill ride[/quote<] No, No, No! Ok I love a little scripting here and there but for a game to be 100% on rails is a little ridiculous. CoD was a pure let down. MoH was too (Although I loved the story). Deus Ex was an RPG and as such was pretty much open world. Its prequel (I guess) should be too.

• Kevlar

Why did they even bother? What a shame

• d0g_p00p

I am worried about the glowing “hints” or whatever you call them. How are you make to feel like you have a choice or figure out a different way of doing things when it’s pointed out to you? I hope that is some type of augmentation that can be turned off or a hint mode that is enabled.

• Cyco-Dude

if it’s anything like invisible war, not by default. although, it wasn’t as intrusive in invisible war either…

• drsauced

Oh, yawn, that was great! I didn’t realize I needed a nap that bad.

• juampa_valve_rde

I had hopes for this new one, but seems to have a crappy console gameplay with lame 3rd person animations, just more bloat useless stuff like deus ex 2. Goddamn they just couldnt update the first deus ex gameplay, its much better, i dont want stupid golden highlighting for the objects (something more subtle its ok), dumb ass movement for the player doesnt work in action games!, and 3rd person cheap cinematic is awful (1rst person or complete 3rd person gameplay is fine), damn… I think im better playing half life 2 again… or praying for duke. I think Bethesda could have done this game FAR BETTER than Square-Enix using the Oblivion engine and gameplay.

• Incubus

PRESS START!

• Evil_Sheep

That woman actually sounded bored herself as she narrated the gameplay commentary in a monotone. The game dialogue is so leaden it makes Uwe Boll look like Tarantino. Is this supposed to get us stoked?

I loved the first Deus Ex. Judging from the demo, the sequel appears to be written by a committee of geeky programmers fixated on checking off boxes of the latest gameplay buzzwords rather than the original’s singular, coherent vision from a creative genius (Warren Spector.) And seriously, it looks like their idea of open-ended gameplay is “choose from following three heavily-scripted paths that the game designers have chosen for you rather than one!”

I hope I’m wrong but this looks to be another dud.

• Corrado

Well, I’m excited. I’m not a cranky old man complaining about how games aren’t as good as they used to be, while looking back on the past with rose colored glasses.

• Krogoth

What a shame

• l33t-g4m3r

Looks like another IW to me. Too much console creep going on in this video. Don’t like the cheap cover mode, as there are numerously better ways that could have been done. Leaning, spy tools, etc. W/E. It’s not going to stop me from making a purchase, I’ll probably buy it regardless of how consolized it is, just like I did with IW. Now that we see that there is nothing sacred, I am almost glad that there has been no SS2 sequel. There is no way it wouldn’t be butchered. Hell, look at bioshock.

• mako

Yeah, console creep is the impression I get too. Sigh.

• HisDivineShadow

I think the emphasis is put on the right things, but I’m not sure the gameplay is going to be good enough to support the ideas. I think the limitations of consoles are peaking through with small sections and limited configuration options that suit a controller’s limitations.

This game would have been amazing if they had built it from the ground up for PC. Its Xbox roots are showing and that’s unfortunate. With that said, I think this game could still be good and an interesting diversion from the me-too Call of Duty’s. I think that’s where THQ with Homefront and EA with Medal of Honor miss the point. Call of Duty is living now on its brand name more than its actual gameplay. Replicating that gameplay is going to wind up providing mediocrity. You have to move beyond the Call of Duty mold, well beyond it, and when you do you’ll put Call of Duty to pasture where it belongs.

I’m hoping at last Respawn gets that. In reference to Deus Ex, I think this is going to NOT satisfy those who wanted Deus Ex’s real sequel, but I think those who hated IW may like this better. I like the atmosphere, I like the themes, I like the look, and I like the overall idea. But when I watched the IGN trailer with developers, I couldn’t escape the notion that the action parts were not very tight…

Still, perhaps that will improve by August. Batman: AA had the same problem and it was tightened up within a few months, but different genres and different problems…

• Cyco-Dude

well, they would have to try to make a game worse than invisible war…will have to wait for the demo to see how the mechanics work.

first impression is this looks a little too simplified (for consoles). worried about automatically regenerating health and energy…maybe it was just for the demo, or an aug, but if that’s normal…that will suck. power and health management (among other things) were another reason the first game was so good.

• ludi

[quote<]orried about automatically regenerating health and energy...maybe it was just for the demo, or an aug, but if that's normal...that will suck.[/quote<] Disagree. It just depends on how well it's balanced against the other skill sets and enemy capabilities. Deus Ex did a pretty good job of balancing skill acquisition and augs so you could go for a preferred character style. If you wanted to become a borderline godmode FPS hero you could do that, but not all at once. Ditto for tactics and hacking et al.

• BoBzeBuilder

It looks mediocre.

• kamikaziechameleon

is it just me or is this demo kinda slow and boring, I’d never play that slow 😛

• kamikaziechameleon

While I know I’ll buy this game and love it I just wanted to throw out this thought, some of the geometry and environmental elements are kinda primitive. They just stand out in comparison with some of the more amazing aspects.

• cygnus1

probly place holder art

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m jazzed for this.

• GrimDanfango

I’m a tad concerned… their attitude seems to be the same as when Deus Ex 2 was released.

“Look at this! Isn’t this cool? You can find multiple paths through levels! That’s because we analysed the original Deus Ex, and noticed that the reason it was cool was because you could find multiple paths through levels. So we tried to do the same thing!”

It was never touted at some groundbreaking feature in the original. If multiple solutions seemed logical to the situation, it was worked into the design, and woven into the story. Or the levels were logically woven around the story.

The problem with this approach is they seem to want to distil the “winning formula” from Deus Ex… which invariably leads them to give you a combat solution, a stealth solution, a hacking solution, and a climbing-through-vents solution to ever single encounter, and the story is bent around that requirement.

I wish they’d just wake up and realise it wasn’t the multiple solutions that made Deus Ex great, it was the diversity of solutions. It was the fact that every alternate solution was different to the last, and that they wouldn’t all be blatantly signposted “Look at me! Aren’t I clever?”

They should also realise that it was primarily the script that made Deus Ex great, and that the game design fed off of it, rather than dictating it.

I do hope they haven’t fallen into the same trap again.

• njsutorius

this is exactly right. the trailer looked horrible..

adding on to previous comment.. I would use brute force in the original game.. when i was too difficult i naturally looked for different ways to get through the game.. the problem with this game style is that you can just gun an run through the whole thing because its “one of the patterns” you can follow.. so redic..

• thesmileman

[quote<] I love a heavily scripted thrill ride as much as the next guy[/quote<] Yea its called an action movie not a game.

• sweatshopking

I’m excited too, but WTF.

” I love a heavily scripted thrill ride as much as the next guy”

who actually loves that? it’s tedious, boring, and simple. give me a complex map, tons of enemies, and let me find my way, and win. i HATE COD. it’s lame.

• Ryhadar

You can’t like both?

On the weekends, sure, I love to get lost in a game like Oblivion. But during the week, when I get home from work, I’m done thinking. I just want to shoot things.

Now, if we consider whether or not those games should both cost the same is another matter. I may pay $50 for a complex game, but I’m not paying that much for something like CoD (if we’re just talking single-player here).

• GrimDanfango

The problem isn’t heavy scripting, it just poor design. I mean think about it, Half Life 2 is one of the most on-rails, heavily scripted experiences out there… there’s no free-roaming even hinted at. But it’s so beautifully designed that it hides all that completely and allows you to entirely suspend your disbelief and immerse yourself.

My problem with the COD games, and all the rest of the on-rails war shooters, plus most of the “flagship” console shooters, is that they’re simply long boring repetitive corridor shooters, where the artificial boundaries to keep you on track are glaringly obvious. The whole experience feels constricting rather than liberating.

Heavily scripted can be fantastic *when* it’s done right.

• sweatshopking

I like what you’re saying grim, but tbh, I HATED HL2. I loved the first, but I couldn’t stand the tedious forced cut scenes every 5 seconds. IDK. I’m just one of those guys. I push esc for EVERYTHING.

That being said, I am simply not a fan of corridor shooters. I love shooters, but I don’t like the cod style. UT is WAY more fun. too me anyway.

• thesmileman

[quote<]Trailer reveals Deus Ex prequel gameplay[/quote<] I almost broke the mouse I clicked so hard.

• GraveDigger

The single-number healthbar instead of bodypart system is a little worrisome, as is the flat item stack in place of a grid. The level also looks sorta cramped like they’re once again forced to shoe-horn it into console memory limitations (hence why IW’s maps were closet-sized).

Still very pumped for this game.